Notifications
Clear all

How long would it takes to see result for oral antibiotics?

MemberMember
(@garkee83)

Posted : 01/28/2003 3:00 pm

There were 3 kind of oral antibiotics consists of tetracycline, doxycycline and minocycline. I was wondering how long would it takes for you all to see noticeable result and when will it takes for you to see significant result (skin totally blemishes-free ).

Another question would be when did you all stop your oral antibiotics? after 6 months?3 months?or etc.

Do you need any acne medication while you are having oral medication?

Will acne flare back after you stop consuming antibiotics?

Thank you,

garkee2003 🙄

MemberMember
(@urscrewed)

Posted : 01/28/2003 11:35 pm

First of all it depends on your dosage. I was on 300mg of Minocin for half a month then down to 150mg for the rest and then the second month the same. I started noticing results after a month and a half, but never fully cleared up, and yes when I did give up on it It flared up worse than it usually did before I started it.

MemberMember
(@garkee83)

Posted : 01/29/2003 1:10 pm

I used to know that P.acne will build up resistance against the oral antibiotic that you consume after a period of time. Let say, you have tried 3 kind of oral antibiotics and accutane but your skin just couldn't clear up, what should you do? Will P.acne immune to accutane?

garkee2003 🙄

MemberMember
(@jsaz5)

Posted : 01/29/2003 9:40 pm

I just started on antibiotics and my doctor gave me erythrom and i havent seen it mentioned anywhere on the boards. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. Any help would be apreciated.

MemberMember
(@urscrewed)

Posted : 01/30/2003 6:48 pm

Yea, i took it don't waste your time on it. My new derm said it did practically nothing to help w/ pimples and she was right it didn't help one bit made my stomach hurt really bad though. Is the doctor a derm? Because the doc that prescribed this to me wasen't and that might be why. Try one of the ones listed above; Trust me its not worth your time.

MemberMember
(@newcastlegirl)

Posted : 02/02/2003 9:17 am

I used 100 mg. of minocyclin about a year or so ago twice a day for about 2 months. The derm put me on it. No results with acne, zip.

Then last year my g.p. had me try erythromycin, 500 mg. twice a day. Let me tell you, I was so sick for several days, decreased dosage, talked to njacobs online about this for advice, called nurse of g.p. to tell how awful it was. She changed me to another, which I never picked up at pharmacy. I knew antibiotics, oral, were not for me.

Here is my impression of oral antiobiotics - they don't work and if they do it seems they don't in time! Some people have results, but for me, the safe and natural way worked 100 percent better. Improved diet, improved nutrition, improved water usage. Now if you have results, also should consider the long-term effects of taking an antibiotic and the resistance that ultimately comes in time to acne and to perhaps another disease that comes along.

Hope that helps,

Karen

MemberMember
(@siobhan)

Posted : 02/02/2003 11:38 am

My personal experience with antibiotics has been a bit hit and miss. I have tried minocycline (which had no effect whatsoever), topical clindamycin (which was poor) and a topical erythromycin/bp treatment which was very effective, with results seen after after about 3 weeks of use. I am currently on a topical erythromycin/Zinc preparation called Zineryt taken in conjunction with oral erythromycin (5oomg taken twice a day) this particular combination of meds produced results within a few weeks but I'm not totally clear yet (and I have to say I don't really expect to be as my skin is still so greasy). I'm currently waiting for a NHS referral to a dermatologist (current waiting time is 17 weeks :D ) and hope to get some accutane as I can't see how the problem can really be treated effectively with meds that do't tackle the root which is the excess grease on my face...but thats just me...I can't say that I've ever heard any mega sucess stories for people just using antibitotics...anyone ❓

MemberMember
(@hailytheghost)

Posted : 02/04/2018 11:48 am

ive been on doxy for a month and ive already been noticing an improvement. i get cystic acne less. but i also switched up my face washes, so that could be helping too. but i do think the antibiotic is working for me

MemberMember
(@plaguevictim)

Posted : 02/07/2018 1:29 pm

I had no luck with antibiotics. Lymecicline didn't work so the derm prescribed Accutane.