Notifications
Clear all

Accutane made my hair curly! >.>

MemberMember
(@crazian)

Posted : 07/31/2008 10:33 pm

FDSNHijfklfsjkndazlcfxldds

WTF?!??

So I'm almost done with my course but my hair has gotten curly/wavy.

This is so weird.

I'm asian.

Asian male+Curly hair=no

I've been using straightener for like a week now XD

Can anyone explain this to me?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/31/2008 10:41 pm

That's so cute!

MemberMember
(@ihateacnesobad)

Posted : 07/31/2008 10:59 pm

Im thinking it made it curly from probably taking the oil out of your hair....With no oil in your hair anymore of lack there of.

MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 07/31/2008 11:05 pm

I also agree with the above poster. Your hair may just have become "frizzy" rather than really "curly". Usually women who have large changes in hormones may experience a change from straight to curly (or other way around), but men generally don't ever experience that (unless Accutane's somehow altered your DNA...)

If you aren't conditioning, definitely be sure to use a conditioner every time you shampoo. Also, straightening your hair will make your hair look even more frizzy when it's not straightened due to the heat/mechanical damage.

I also thought my hair went from being straight to wavy when I dyed my hair for the 3rd time, but I realized it had just become frizzy due to the damage. I think that's what it is more or less.

MemberMember
(@crazian)

Posted : 07/31/2008 11:16 pm

I also agree with the above poster. Your hair may just have become "frizzy" rather than really "curly". Usually women who have large changes in hormones may experience a change from straight to curly (or other way around), but men generally don't ever experience that (unless Accutane's somehow altered your DNA...)

If you aren't conditioning, definitely be sure to use a conditioner every time you shampoo. Also, straightening your hair will make your hair look even more frizzy when it's not straightened due to the heat/mechanical damage.

I also thought my hair went from being straight to wavy when I dyed my hair for the 3rd time, but I realized it had just become frizzy due to the damage. I think that's what it is more or less.

This is more reassuring

thanks!

I bought some good conditioner online and am waiting for it to come but in the meantime I've been using cheap walmart stuff. Maybe that's why.

MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 07/31/2008 11:36 pm

Yeah, but damaged hair doesn't return to looking smooth and straight right away. For a lot of people, they just need to wait until it grows out. But I think using the conditioner will definitely help, and if you can put up with it, I would stop straightening your hair (if you ever have seen one of those girls that always straightens her hair throughout high school, by college, it looks like she has a wig on because it's so frizzy that even straightening it doesn't get the frizz out).

You may also want to deep condition once a week or so until your hair starts looking more moisturized.

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 08/01/2008 12:24 am

I wouldn't mind it doing that to my hair. xD

MemberMember
(@crazian)

Posted : 08/01/2008 12:35 am

Yeah, but damaged hair doesn't return to looking smooth and straight right away. For a lot of people, they just need to wait until it grows out. But I think using the conditioner will definitely help, and if you can put up with it, I would stop straightening your hair (if you ever have seen one of those girls that always straightens her hair throughout high school, by college, it looks like she has a wig on because it's so frizzy that even straightening it doesn't get the frizz out).

You may also want to deep condition once a week or so until your hair starts looking more moisturized.

thanks for the hair tips lol.

I got this straightener in Japan that reduces the damage it gives off a lot, and I use this protectant cream, so I think I will be good until I'm off tane which is in a few months.

What kind of conditioner do you recommend?

MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 08/01/2008 12:41 am

Yeah, definitely use the products to help reduce hair damage. But remember, no matter how expensive and good your straighter is, heat damage is unavoidable >.< (I had to deal a lot with hair because I tried to get into the entertainment industry in Korea, and had to experience a lot of things, including too much straighter use and coloring damage XD).

For the conditioner, the best ones I find are the ones that you get at professional hair salons, the ones that nobody knows about. They're kind of like mysterious nameless brands that hair stylists recommend. I remember, for a while, I used this one called "Cube Tofu" or something, something totally weird that I'd never heard of, but it was amazing (can't find it anymore though).

Someone else mentioned on this forum somewhere before, but those hair stylists have a lot of knowledge on those "inside" shampoo/conditioners that are expensive but really good.

Also, if you're living in Japan right now, a lot of the Japanese male hair cuts right now involve wavy/semi-curly hair (not like the American curly though), you know, with moderate shaggy cuts. It's not always bad, I mean, wavy hair is a lot harder to manage, but it can do its own style, so maybe you can try embracing it (as long as it doesn't look frizzy).

They have excellent shampoos and conditioners in Japan. I know they make some of the best hair wax for guys (I've used a few before, and they're great, so I'm sure there are amazing shampoos/conditioners).

Also, I would stay away from the Japanese straight perm. That is one of the most damaging processes done on hair (just saying this since you might get tempted to do it).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/01/2008 12:45 am

Yeah, definitely use the products to help reduce hair damage. But remember, no matter how expensive and good your straighter is, heat damage is unavoidable >.< (I had to deal a lot with hair because I tried to get into the entertainment industry in Korea, and had to experience a lot of things, including too much straighter use and coloring damage XD).

For the conditioner, the best ones I find are the ones that you get at professional hair salons, the ones that nobody knows about. They're kind of like mysterious nameless brands that hair stylists recommend. I remember, for a while, I used this one called "Cube Tofu" or something, something totally weird that I'd never heard of, but it was amazing (can't find it anymore though).

Someone else mentioned on this forum somewhere before, but those hair stylists have a lot of knowledge on those "inside" shampoo/conditioners that are expensive but really good.

Also, if you're living in Japan right now, a lot of the Japanese male hair cuts right now involve wavy/semi-curly hair (not like the American curly though), you know, with moderate shaggy cuts. It's not always bad, I mean, wavy hair is a lot harder to manage, but it can do its own style, so maybe you can try embracing it (as long as it doesn't look frizzy).

They have excellent shampoos and conditioners in Japan. I know they make some of the best hair wax for guys (I've used a few before, and they're great, so I'm sure there are amazing shampoos/conditioners).

Also, I would stay away from the Japanese straight perm. That is one of the most damaging processes done on hair (just saying this since you might get tempted to do it).

You know more about hair than any girl I know.

And you're a boy?

MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 08/01/2008 3:13 am

You know more about hair than any girl I know.

And you're a boy?

Lol, well there're probably 2 reasons for that. Guys in Korea are a lot more into hair trends and fashion than in the U.S., so even your average guy there knows a lot more stuff than the average guy in the U.S.

The other factor's probably what I've mentioned up there; I had to audition for a few entertainment industries, so managing a good appearance was really important, including hair.

MemberMember
(@sunrise25)

Posted : 08/01/2008 7:26 am

It def curled my hair during/after my first course and am seeing that again now during my second

I agree its probably because of the excessive dryness. they werent nice curls, more like frizzy hair.

Just trry to deep condition frequently. kerastase products are great!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/01/2008 8:42 am

FDSNHijfklfsjkndazlcfxldds

WTF?!??

So I'm almost done with my course but my hair has gotten curly/wavy.

This is so weird.

I'm asian.

Asian male+Curly hair=no

I've been using straightener for like a week now XD

Can anyone explain this to me?

as long as it's not shedding consider yourself lucky.

MemberMember
(@aoee)

Posted : 08/01/2008 11:04 am

There's nothing wrong with Asian male + curly hair.

I know a wazn kid who looks Asian but has a curly 'fro, looks like he got it permed or something. :)

MemberMember
(@karmannghia)

Posted : 05/21/2021 11:06 am

My hair became curly and wavy also. I love it! I have always had bone straight hair. I was growing out a pixie cut and this really looks cute. I'm due for a little shaping on it but let's see what happens! Vive La difference!