Notifications
Clear all

azelaic acid and acne scars

MemberMember
(@bran88)

Posted : 05/26/2008 9:44 am

Hi guys,

can azelex or finacea help mild acne scarring (scarred pores and superficial scars?)...Also I think I've read that azelex is less potent than finacea, so it is usually better for sensitive skin...Is that people's experiences? My skin is really sensitive and dry! Also I'm really nervous about the facial hair growth side effect! Has that happened to anyone?

MemberMember
(@almost-pretty)

Posted : 05/26/2008 10:32 am

ive only been using finacea for 5 weeks. so far i love it. it has really improved my skin tone and is helping to fade dark spots. from what ive read finacea is better for sensitve skin than azelex. i have the most hypersensitive skin and it hasnt irritated me at all. i havent had any facial hair growth either- at least not as of yet.

MemberMember
(@lamarr1986)

Posted : 05/26/2008 10:40 am

You won't get facial hair from using it, if anything it will THIN facial hair. It works by reducing 5 alpha reductase, which is responsible for facial and body hair GROWTH but head hair LOSS. So it works for hairgrowth on the scalp but on the face it will have the opposite effect.... It has actually been used to treat hirsutism in women.

MemberMember
(@bran88)

Posted : 05/26/2008 11:45 am

thanks guys that makes me feel a lot better about the hair growth!!! I'm still confused about whether finacea or azelex is better for someone with dry/sensitive skin...I would have thought finacea would be better since it's generally prescribed for rosacea but then I read elsewhere on the board that azelex is less likely to cause side effects since a it has a lower concentration of active azelaic acid...any input would be appreciated!

Also from reading about others experiences it seems like azelaic acid doesnt generally cause an IB...or if it does that is a signal that it just doesnt agree with your skin...what do you guys think?

MemberMember
(@bran88)

Posted : 05/26/2008 12:21 pm

oh and I'm still interested in people's experiences with mild scarring (not marks, actual scars) and azelaic acid....

MemberMember
(@asiaxiah)

Posted : 05/30/2008 11:43 am

Azelex has a higher concentration of medication than Finacea, but it is in a cream form. The thing is, although Finacea only has 15% of azelaic acid per gram, because it's a gel, it absorbs into the skin and gets taken into the system more effectively (that's what I recall from reading one of Willow's posts, I think).

Overall, either one doesn't really matter as far as how potent it is on your skin, if you're not using it to treat rosacea. It's more about how moisturizing you want it to be for your skin.

For me, my skin was very irritated and dry from years of retinoids, and it didn't taken in Finacea very well at first. But, it was okay with Azelex, and even to this day, I sometimes go back to Azelex just because it feels like putting lotion on my face. I'd say Azelex is definitely moisturizing, while Finacea may cause some dryness for some people (not all).

But, in the end, it's better if you can use Finacea because it's half the price of Azelex.

And as for the scars... Well, a lot of people swear that they do go away faster, and I myself would like to believe that. But from what my ulta knowledgeable dermatologist told me, it seems that the red marks and scars just need some time more than anything else. Azelaic acid my help, probably not incredibly noticeably. Just be patient with those.

MemberMember
(@cute-dods)

Posted : 07/22/2011 4:53 am

You won't get facial hair from using it, if anything it will THIN facial hair. It works by reducing 5 alpha reductase, which is responsible for facial and body hair GROWTH but head hair LOSS. So it works for hairgrowth on the scalp but on the face it will have the opposite effect.... It has actually been used to treat hirsutism in women.

hi i am using 20% azelaic acid cream. i have used it just thrice. but i am really tensed and confused about its effect on facial hair growth. hair growth on my face and body is already too much. so i am confused should i continue using 20% azeliac acid or stop it?? i am suffering from mild to moderate acne but am using it bacause of hyperpigmentaion redness due to acne.

MemberMember
(@gfxtt)

Posted : 09/17/2013 12:11 pm

did it made your facial hair growing?

I'm confused about it, because in theory it shouldn't but with the review and experiences of people, it actually make your fuzz darker and thicker..

i'm hesited to take it.. anyone have an idea?