Notifications
Clear all

Retinoids

MemberMember
(@acne_is_going)

Posted : 05/19/2008 4:37 am

my derm has offered me two different retinoiids (im only to use one). differin gel 0.1% and tretinoin gel 0.01%,

can people please inform me which of these will be best, in terms of least irritation and best at reducing blackheads and whiteheads.

thanks

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 05/19/2008 7:55 am

Moving this to the prescription retinoids section - you should get more responses there.

MemberMember
(@holisticjane)

Posted : 05/19/2008 8:57 am

The difference is that one is a Synthetic Retinoid (Differin is adapalene) and Tretinoin is like Retin-a. A Vitamin A derivitive.

Differin-

* Applied as a cream or gel, Adapalene is a synthetic retinoid that unclogs pores. Adapalene also displays a range of moderate to potent anti-inflammatory effects.

* It usually takes about 8 to 12 weeks to see improvements in your skin's condition. Side effects can include minor skin irritation and or dryness.

My experience with Differin is mixed. I do prefer the gel over the cream. It's drying but didn't make me red. The itital outbreak with Diferin was bad. I mean really bad. But I cleared to about 80%. I was then taken off and put on Tazorac. Which I love.

Tretinoin

* A natural retinoid and the first developed for topical use, tretinoin gradually unplugs pores and then keeps them unplugged. This both prevents new comedones (blocked pores that result in whiteheads and blackheads) from forming and allows a topical antibiotic to enter the follicle and continue the healing process.

* Patients in the past have found tretinoin too harsh for their skin. Today, however, newer, less irritating formulas are available. Side effects can include redness, scaling, dryness, itching and burning.

* If you experience any of these side effects, talk to your dermatologist. By working with you to adjust the amount of tretinoin you apply and when you apply it, the dermatologist can help you minimize the side effects and speed the healing process.

I tried Retin-a in 3 unsuccessful attempts. I think that it was abit too harsh for my skin. I did find that in order for me to use it, I had to mix it with some type of simple moisturizer. It did leave me red all the time but it did clear my acne about 90%.

When using retinoids you skin may become worse before it gets better. I have not known too many people that have not had at least a small breakout after starting retinoids. As long as you know what to expect and stay consistent with your application and follow what your doctor prescribes as a dosage, you will most likely improve in 12 weeks. It can take patience. You will get frustrated or think it's not working. But stay the course. If after 12 weeks is up and things are not better it may be time to reevaluate the type of retinoid you are using and the strength and amount. They don't all work for everyone in the same way. Another option, if Retinoids do not work is to try Azelaic acid. It's more mild but less irritating.

MemberMember
(@sunny123)

Posted : 05/19/2008 3:29 pm

Differin would get my vote. Retin A was too harsh, I could not use it. Technically, I think it was designed to be a wrinkle product, not an acne product.

MemberMember
(@eurovision50)

Posted : 05/23/2008 4:11 pm

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but I was given Isotrex gel at one point, which is topical isotretinoin. I must say that I didn't like it. I much prefer Differin.

MemberMember
(@curlyq)

Posted : 05/28/2008 4:26 pm

i used to use differin when it first came out. it worked for me in conjuction with several other products- including an antibiotic. i did end up loving the product but eventually it stopped working for me. we are all different and have different skin types. i now use retin-a. i personally feel that differin is better at clearing up your skin if you have active lesions. i feel that retin-a is a better maintenance topical after you have cleared. of course this is based on my own experiences.

MemberMember
(@lifeinfaith)

Posted : 04/07/2013 11:05 pm

I have been on differin for about 2 months prescribed for closed comedones (clogged pores) and blackheads on the lower part of my face and cheeks. It was only about 15-20% improvement when I had my 2 month derm checkup so she upped me to Tazorac. For the past month while on both differin and tazorac I started getting swollen inflamed pimples that never come to a head on the right side of my face which has not happened during the past 5-6 months of when this clogged pore issue started and is not characteristic of anything I have had before. Could the retinoids be causing this and is there a way to prevent these swollen ones?