Has Anyone Grown After Accutane?

MemberMember
(@english_rose)

Posted : 06/08/2009 2:58 pm

post deleted

MemberMember
(@vallartagal)

Posted : 06/08/2009 5:01 pm

Hello - My son took Accutane as a young teenager. He's now 19, and a scholarship football player at 6'7"! I don't think his growth was affected by the medicine. However his liver did not tolerate the medicine well, and he was unable to continue with the complete course of treatment. HIs acne did improve considerably and has never again gotten out of control.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 06/08/2009 5:07 pm

Yes, accutane is know to stunt some young teens growth. Does to everyone no.

It is a documented side effect from Roche itself. If you even look up vitamin A toxicity it states that it can cause premature epiphyseal clousre may occur in children.

nobody knows how much is too much for one self. Accutane effects everyone diffrently.

I agree with Lamarr people should try light therapy first esspecially if you are a child/young teen.

MemberMember
(@osfan2006)

Posted : 06/08/2009 10:48 pm

My son is 16, took Accutane just two months when he had to stop becuase his liver couldn't take it.

He's 6'5" and grew 1 cm. during the treatment.

just curous does your son play basketball im 6 2 and 6 5 is one tall kid lol.

MemberMember
(@vallartagal)

Posted : 06/08/2009 11:41 pm

My son is 16, took Accutane just two months when he had to stop becuase his liver couldn't take it.

He's 6'5" and grew 1 cm. during the treatment.

just curous does your son play basketball im 6 2 and 6 5 is one tall kid lol.

Well, he did play basketball but now - at 19 and 6'7" - he's a football player - playing college ball next fall. All's good.

MemberMember
(@boomhead)

Posted : 12/21/2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the positive support. I'd still love to hear other personal experiences. Thanks!

Hi accutanemom,

I know this was some years ago. How did it turn out with your son?

I took accutane when I was 14/15, I don't know how tall I was then, all I know is that at 16.5 years I was around 5'3".

Im now 20 and around 5'9", so I did grow after accutane.

I do have a question for anyone though, if someone was to experience stunted growth, is it restricted to the "long bones" in the body? As in the arms and legs?

MemberMember
(@alizia)

Posted : 01/16/2020 12:16 am

Hi I believe it stunted my sons growth he took it when he was 13 and really growing. Hes acne was horrible. So we put him on it... he was always taller then average. After he took the Accutane, he never grew again. Its been 3 1/2 years,And hasnt grown. Actually Ive been wondering if and maybe eventually can he grow again... hopefully

MemberMember
(@amber-prince)

Posted : 02/06/2020 10:14 am

On 9/28/2006 at 7:23 PM, accutanemom said:

I'm sorry to say that my son still has not grown one iota since starting accutane. He started in February, finished in May (with good results, I must add). He was only 13 when he started; 14 now. He has a lot more growing left to do, and I am really hoping I haven't made a terrible choice for him.

Accuratemom , My 14 year old sonjust started accutane did your son continue to grow after his treatment? I have the same concern with my son and am hoping we have not made a mistake putting him on it. He is 2.5 weeks in now taking itand has mentioned that he has back pain when he lies down and some knee and shoulder pain. I am just curious over the past 14 years did he catch up on growth? Thanks

MemberMember
(@clarkc055)

Posted : 02/08/2020 12:35 pm

if you use it now, and it stunts his growth, you've also got a higher risk of the acne coming back.