Yasmin, accutane an...

Notifications
Clear all

Yasmin, accutane and persistent acne all the while

MemberMember
(@jessica152)

Posted : 07/07/2017 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Firstly let me say thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm seeing a really expensive derm in the hope of curing long standing adult acne.

Recently, I sent this email to her and thought I would copy it in here to see if any of you could offer any insight.

I understand how painful adult acne can be and wondered if any of you had had a similar experience or could offer any advice.

Hello,

That's fine thank you. 

I understand this a really long query but obviously you understand it is a risky medication and I would be grateful if you could help me with my concerns.

I'm going to leave off taking the tablet for today until I hear back from you.

So, I've been taking roaccutane for about 1-2 weeks. My skin has suffered an initial breakout. This hasn't happened before on roaccutane but that's fine, I had known this would happen.

However, additionally, I've had an increase in anxiety and some headaches. Yesterday, I went to bed early as my head did feel quite heavy but when I woke up I was fine. 

I've had a feeling of what can only be described as pressure in my head for the last several days. 

I also experience a tightness in my chest and panicked feelings but normally only when I start to worry about taking the medication. I think this is because this is my third time taking the medication and I'm starting to worry about encountering long-term serious side effects. I did some of my own research online and read that headaches and "pressure" in the head, akin to what I've been experiencing, could be indicative of pressure in the brain which would lead to long term damage to sight. I had read an account of a girl whose retina (or attachments in the back of her eye, it was something like this) had detached and she had gone blind in that eye. 

I've also experienced some joint pain but I've taking calcium osteoporosis supplements as well and they seem to relieve the pain. In this respect, I am worried about osteoporosis as I am quite an active person. I sometimes cycle over an hour and a half around London & go to fitness classes at the gym. 

I did explain to the Professor that this was my third time taking it but I've provided some details below about the previous times I've taken the medication.

Does taking it a third time increase my risk of long-term side effects and is the fact that I've had to take it a third time indicative of how it's not working long-term for me and I should try other medication? 

(2014- 15: 5mg building up to 20mg for 6-12 months with an odd couple of months after treatment when the acne came back.)

(2016- 2-4 months on 40mg building up to 60mg where I did experience some anxiety in the beginning but this soon went away within the first week.) 

I should have explained this to the professor but basically my acne isn't random, it does have some triggers but they seem to be the majority of things;

-makeup 
-sun
-alcohol
-excess of sugar 
-excess of carbs or unhealthy food 
-excess of dairy 
-any hormonal changes big or small (except just after a period where the acne improves)
-stress 

If I avoid all of the above, I'd have mild acne as opposed to moderate but it would be embarrassing as I wouldn't be able to cover it up with makeup as that would cause it to worsen.

Hormones in particular appear to be a massive trigger as stress causes it to get very bad and the first time I went on roaccutane was due to having come of the birth control pill. The reaction to the withdrawal of hormones made the acne become "severe" with scarring. 

However, I tried to go back on birth control a couple years later (Yasmin) as an alternative to accutane but within 1 week my face was covered with moderate pustular, comodonous (sorry I'm spelling that wrong), and some cystic acne. It was very painful to touch it. I had been having a mild breakout so I don't know if it had a roaccutane like effect, suppressing the oil and therefore causing everything to come to the service. I wonder if this would be a potential option again or it would be worsening the problem.

The pic of my face after yasmin 2 weeks. 

The professor said she didn't think the acne was hormonal and I just wanted to know why she thought that was? 

I'm really sorry for the length of the email but I thought I'd let you know all of the facts. 

Hope you understand and please let me know what you think. 

Best,

Jess 

----- If anyone can offer any advice this would be really helpful as I've been waiting several days for my derm to reply so I doubt she thinks it's that serious or is perhaps too busy. 

IMG_1338.JPG

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 07/11/2017 3:52 pm

Hi there

i am sorry you are going through this, i feel your pain, i am 33 and instead of thinking of starting a family (which i am dying to) i have to deal with my acne first
i have had acne since 27 came outta no where, i used to be on BC Alesse got off noticed this probably started after i got off ( i think) however, my acne was mild, would appear then go away then appeared again and in 2016 i decided to try minocycline antibiotic ( i regreat taking it) even though it worked great for 6 months NO BREAKOUTS my skin was finally nice again, sure enough when doctor lowered my dose to 50 mg every other day i started to break out again but NOTHING crazy, i decided to stick to minocycline but go back to 100 mg everyday then this year (2017) thatys when the antibitoc was doing nothing if anything it was making it worse, i never had acne on my jawline or near mouth area i always had it on cheeks, today im horrible, in May i was good had a few here and there nbut managebale i ever started doing laser genesis for scars which was working great, but now i have zits all over my cheeks again and mouth area, it's horrific i can't deal with this anymore, i have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on products, skin care creams etc i have have enough, i am scared of trying accutane but i have hope and faith its my last resort and that will help me feel happy again, i will put the hold on trying for a baby for a year or so and just [pray and hope i can complete the treatment and it will go smooth and safe till then, i am going to go see my derm tomorrow, going to ask him if possible to check my hormone levels to make sure if it's a hormonal issue i am sure there is something out there we can take to help balanace them if not related to hormones then i will do accutane and hope for the best, i can't continue staying home crying everyday and look horrendus with make up on and dry skin its horrible i just pray to god my body handles the drug well and i see great long lasting results ( hopefully forever) i have anxiety just thinking about it but if i did minocycline for 6 months i can do accutane for 6 months even though it's a scary pill to take but nothing else i can do or try =( please keep me updated on your progress and i will keep you posted on mine, it's nice to speak to other females suffering the same issue
my family doctor suggested accutane too ut said if you were my daughter i wou'dnt give it you, im like why? but yet he tells me it's bad your face is bad, i don't get it, and he keeps saying there is no way to test hormonnes, hes a great doctor but lately i feel like he's not much help and hes been my doctor for almost 15 years, its bizarre.sorry to blap on but i have no one else to talk to about this all my friends have clear skin, they don't get it.
i hope your journey goes well, keep in touch

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 07/12/2017 3:49 am

Hi both. Acne is such a time and confidence drain and as you say people that have never had it have no idea. There is so much ignorance out there. I found dianette worked for me. I have been on it for 10 years. Daughter is about to start roaccutane today. Keep strong and don't give up trying. You are not alone.

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 07/12/2017 12:56 pm

i went to Derm today, i have to go for blood work before starting accutane, he assured me taking this will not EFFECT getting pregnant in the future which is good to hear, i just hope accutane works, well i hope my lab work comes back good, and i can't wait to start it however i am terrified of the IB and dryness but more the IB i hope i dont get too bad fingers crossed it all goes smooth =(

MemberMember
(@ahaguru)

Posted : 07/14/2017 12:12 am

Why don't you try holistic way of healing?
its very gentle and no side effects
some of this things are link to cystic acne are;
hormones
constipation
parasites
did you know that accutane can cause hypothyroidism,gallstones, and Crohn's disease?

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/05/2017 6:26 pm

Hi Jessica and stressed 123. How r u both getting on?

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 08/22/2017 9:37 pm

Hello!!
i am on day 40 of accutane (Epirus) 40 mg daily I am so happy I decided to go on it I have two zits compared to prior to accutane I had around 20-25 zits on my face bumpy it was horrible my last hope was accutane I am happy for far it's only been 40 days but I feel confident to finlly of out without makeup I am somewhat clear other than some scarring but that's my least of my worries I hope this works for me I had an initial break out not too bad on my second week but been clear since then I hope moving forward blood work stays well and my derm keeps me on 40mg ! I was terrified to try accutane but you can let fear what u read online I have minor side effects I have mild muscle pain NO dry skin on face my lips are dry but not cracked I keep applying Vaseline witch works really well I also use cetaphil cleaner and body/face moisturizer they both works so well , myface is not oily anymore and my hair I don't need to wash it everyday I can actually go up to 3 dayswithout washing it and it looks and smells like I just washed it it's amazing ! (I can enjoy relaxing baths now nothaving to worrywasting timestraightening my hair everyday LOl )!I am happy so far I know it's early still BUT am clear and hopping stay clear healthy and complete this journey and remain clear after I am complete this

Moonsss and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 08/23/2017 3:32 am

Great news!! Thanks so much for updating. Increases in dose can cause breakouts so don't be disheartened if that happens. It's the final result that matters!! Keep updating please Stressed 123. What about you Jessica? How are you?

MemberMember
(@stressed123)

Posted : 08/23/2017 8:35 am

5 hours ago, Juwalker said:

Great news!! Thanks so much for updating. Increases in dose can cause breakouts so don't be disheartened if that happens. It's the final result that matters!! Keep updating please Stressed 123. What about you Jessica? How are you?

I will definately keep updating, hopping for the best!

all the best on your end too, hope it's going well with your daughter!