Can This Be Pityros...

Notifications
Clear all

Can This Be Pityrosporum Folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@roooobs)

Posted : 06/28/2015 12:52 am

Hello,

I have been a long-time acne sufferer, although most of my cystic acne has cleared up now. I recently developed these tiny papules (no whitehead, though) on my forehead and chin. These flared up almost simultaneously after a canoeing trip (it was very humid there).

I continued to use topical antibiotics that I was using for the last ~6 months, but it did not get better. I tried steroid (1%, OTC), but that didn't work either.

Here are the pictures of my forehead and chin:

7n5cySR.jpg?1

JyY19u0.jpg?1

Could these be Pityrosporum Folliculitis?? I'm sooo desperate. PLEASE HELP!

MemberMember
(@chrlhyms)

Posted : 06/28/2015 4:54 am

I would say no, pityrosporum folliculitis is a lot worse than what you are experiencing. i would say use an exfoliator or mild spot cream or mud clay mask and it will help reduce your pores

MemberMember
(@glb2130)

Posted : 06/28/2015 6:46 am

Don't use the steroid cream on it! It doesn't look bad at all to me, I barely see anything! You can try a topical antifungal like metronidazole .

MemberMember
(@adickson)

Posted : 08/05/2021 6:41 pm

Did you find a solution? This is exactly what my skin looks like, and I haven't been able to cure it!

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 08/05/2021 9:45 pm

What cleansers are you using? And moisturizers afterwards?

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 09/02/2021 3:18 am

that is currently happening on my face right now. what can i do for it?

MemberMember
(@briscoerhemagmail-com)

Posted : 11/18/2022 10:16 am

Hello! I'm also experiencing the same thing on my skin, it could possibly be a mild form of perioral dermatitis. I've been told by my dermatologist that I should look at healing from the inside out, since it can be common for our skin to show signs of irritation if we're battling something internally (whether that's an overburdened liver, vitamin deficiencies or even stress.)

I personally resonated with stress and vitamin deficiencies, so got myself some clean supplements to aid my skin (clean meaning no bulking agents or fillers, no GMO ingredients etc) I wont share the supplements since I believe you should really seek advice or heavily research when adding anything to your diet, since we're all different, my deficiencies may be what you've got surplus of - but both may exhibit the same symptoms. I will however say, I payed close attention to my diet to watch what may aggravate my skin more, I stopped intake of dairy since I noticed negative side effects for me, and also I found red wine was making me flare up (not a big drinker anyway but I'll have a cheeky gin from time to time).

I also came across a blog of a person who had these rash-like skin flare ups for a good few years, and they eventually took an allergy test and found that they were eating a lot of things they're very mildly allergic to, and their persistent exposure to these allergens accumulated into this outburst on their skin. Once they halted exposure to allergens, their skin started healing.

Topical treatments and creams can be useful, but a lot of steroid creams can result in further flare ups. In a lot of cases, topical treatments treat the symptoms without addressing the internal problems, so worth taking some time to know yourself and your habits. I personally threw out a lot of my skincare, and opted for a far more gentle cleanser that aids restoration of the skins microbiome (good bacteria) since an out of balance microbiome can also cause irritation.

Biggest thing to remember is be patient with yourself, your body is amazing at healing and looking out for itself, sometimes we just need to give it the space or time to let it tell us what we need. You're always your own worst enemy when it comes to any kind of insecurity within yourself or of your skin, absolutely nobody else holds you to the ridiculous standards you may hold yourself to (if they do, ew, close that contact.) If looking after skin was super easy, we wouldn't have careers in professional dermatology. Easier said than done, but try not to let it impact how you feel about yourself.