Is This Acne Or Ros...

Notifications
Clear all

Is This Acne Or Rosacea? (Pics)

MemberMember
(@sarah4397)

Posted : 06/23/2015 12:17 am

I'm 30 years old and have had extremely clear skin my entire life. About 3 months ago, overnight it seems, my left cheek broke out in a flushed patch of red bumps. The bumps come and go and move around, sometimes I have whiteheads and sometimes just red bumps, and some days that cheek is redder than other days, but the whole thing is still completely isolated to only my left cheek. I tried every acne face wash and product on the market- nothing helped. After googling, I pretty much diagnosed myself with acne rosacea, which I learned doesn't respond to traditional acne medications.

A month ago I finally saw a highly recommended dermatologist who prescribed me Ziana gel. I asked him if it was acne or p&p rosacea, and he said "no, because if it was, it would be on both sides of your face". I did enough research on rosacea before seeing him to know that what he told me isnt true. Rosacea can be on one side or can start on one side of the face. He told me what I have is "in the acne family", but never gave me an official diagnosis. The Ziana hasn't helped at all, and he said "by the time yout come back in 30 days this should be all cleared up". Well, its not. I'm at a loss. Im convinced the derm i saw is pretty clueless so my next step is to see a different dermatologist, but I'm just worried I'll be given another medication that doesn't help again. Nobody in my family has either acne or rosacea, and absolutely nothing in my lifestyle has changed that would cause this. No new foods, detergent, soap, etc. I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience, and if this does in fact look like acne rosacea to you.

the first picture is currently the right side of my face which is how my entire face used to be- clear. The second picture is the broken out left side of my face that I've been using Ziana on. post-475304-0-19943300-1435036501_thumb.post-475304-0-70598000-1435036534_thumb.

MemberMember
(@glb2130)

Posted : 06/23/2015 10:42 am

I'm not sure if it's acne or rocasea! If the ziana is not helping ask your derm about metronidazole cream, it's helping me and it's very non irritating.. I'm against taking oral drugs for acne, they've only caused more harm but some people have success and no side effects. My mom used to have acne rocasea and she used the metro cream and took an antibiotic and it cleared up. She wasn't on the antibiotic for a long time, maybe a week or so

Sarah4397 liked