Aleve for premenstr...

Notifications
Clear all

Aleve for premenstrual and mid-cycle acne

MemberMember
(@user102638)

Posted : 10/11/2010 10:57 pm

Hi all,

So I tried this for mid-cycle acne and I must say, it didn't do anything. I took two aleve the minute I thought things were changing for the worse (during hormonal changes my skin actually feels worse) and then took a few for the next days. I haven't noticed a difference at all....

I've tried this a few times now. Any tips? Would maybe taking only one pill more frequently help? This seemed to be a miracle when I read it, I'm not ready to give up. Any advice welcome!

MemberMember
(@crazylife1)

Posted : 10/14/2010 2:45 pm

i am so going to try this!! i agree with the poster who said that when she starts to heal finally then its that time again.. i always have this problem right when they start to go away.. i get maybe two clean days then right back at it. thanks so much for the tip!

MemberMember
(@mazadudi)

Posted : 10/28/2010 6:49 am

Well I hope to god this works for me as i have spent the last 12 years in turmoil. ( I am now 37) My GP does not seem to want to help at all. Mine started after I gave birth to my second son. i decided to stop taking the pill and use other methods of protection (Condoms). Before children i had the most beautiful skin that friends would always comment on. I went through a stressful period after my second son ie post natal depression and the fact that he was 3 months premature and weighed only 2LB 2 Ounces. (He is 12 now)

I completed a course of oxytetracyclin last year which took the edge off, but did not stop me from getting spots. And im sure like most of you all, i have probably tried almost every pharmacy topical agent there is to try to no avail, i only end up with flaky burned looking chin.....The rest of my face looks amazing. I do however notice that as soon as one itchy red thing on my face goes, another will erupt right after. I could scream. As i have sensitive skin, i am now using simple foaming facial wash and daily moisturizer with vit E. Skin feels lovely but still getting the vile eruptions. Doc put me on Zynert topical which made the whole chin raw and flaky and after 5 weeks has done absolutely nothing. I considered that some acne may be caused by fungus also and have tried canestan cream with hydrocortisone. Nope! Not a thing ( I would not advice this by the way, not indicated for use on the face) I would just like the GP to get to the bottom of my hormones and sort it out, instead of treating the symptoms, why cant he treat the cause?

Anyway, I have just ordered some feminax ultra and look forward to seeing what happens. will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for everyone's input though. Has urged me to try something new yet again.

PS i am going through a really bad stressed period in my life at the moment and that may be a huge factor.

MemberMember
(@mazadudi)

Posted : 10/29/2010 5:04 pm

Well I hope to god this works for me as i have spent the last 12 years in turmoil. ( I am now 37) My GP does not seem to want to help at all. Mine started after I gave birth to my second son. i decided to stop taking the pill and use other methods of protection (Condoms). Before children i had the most beautiful skin that friends would always comment on. I went through a stressful period after my second son ie post natal depression and the fact that he was 3 months premature and weighed only 2LB 2 Ounces. (He is 12 now)

I completed a course of oxytetracyclin last year which took the edge off, but did not stop me from getting spots. And im sure like most of you all, i have probably tried almost every pharmacy topical agent there is to try to no avail, i only end up with flaky burned looking chin.....The rest of my face looks amazing. I do however notice that as soon as one itchy red thing on my face goes, another will erupt right after. I could scream. As i have sensitive skin, i am now using simple foaming facial wash and daily moisturizer with vit E. Skin feels lovely but still getting the vile eruptions. Doc put me on Zynert topical which made the whole chin raw and flaky and after 5 weeks has done absolutely nothing. I considered that some acne may be caused by fungus also and have tried canestan cream with hydrocortisone. Nope! Not a thing ( I would not advice this by the way, not indicated for use on the face) I would just like the GP to get to the bottom of my hormones and sort it out, instead of treating the symptoms, why cant he treat the cause?

Anyway, I have just ordered some feminax ultra and look forward to seeing what happens. will keep everyone posted.

Thanks for everyone's input though. Has urged me to try something new yet again.

PS i am going through a really bad stressed period in my life at the moment and that may be a huge factor.

[/quote: from my husband.......You are putting too much crap on your face...leave it alone!]

I used feminax for 2 days now and huge red lumps have gone down, just left with flakey skin over site, as i suppose the bumps stretch the skin slightly eh! No new ones so far either

MemberMember
(@being)

Posted : 11/19/2010 5:02 pm

i'm sorry you're going through a stressful period in life right now :( those suck, but i guess we all have to go through them.

for this reason, i would encourage some sort of stress relief in addition to the internal meds you are taking.

for me, stress and breakouts go hand in hand.

my advice for you is to do something that you love. schedule an evening for yourself. you can: read your favorite book again, call up a friend and vent vent vent, or vent in a journal-say everything you want to say, take a hot bath with candles and bubbles and soothing music for a half hour (my personal favorite), drink some hot tea, watch a movie that will make you laugh till tears roll down your cheeks (that is a great one, laughter is a proven stress-reducer), take an evening stroll, etc.

often we overlook the need to treat our own needs and forget that the little things really do make a difference.

best of luck,

erica

MemberMember
(@jmarsh07)

Posted : 01/05/2011 2:46 pm

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne.

I tried it out this month, and it worked very well for me. I took two Aleve tablets each day, one with breakfast and one right after dinner -- and I only got two tiny, tiny pimples the whole week.

Normally during PMS week I would get a number of these little ones popping up on my nose and chin each day.

I stopped taking a regular dose of the Aleve as soon my period started, although I have taken one at night a couple of times since. From what I understand, you really have to be careful not to take too much ... it can cause stomach bleeding and other unpleasant side effects.

Has anyone else tried this?

Thank you so much for sharing this information! I have never tried this, but my acne gets much worse the week before my period. I can't wait to try it!

MemberMember
(@adult_onset_acne)

Posted : 03/05/2011 3:23 pm

Sounds interesting. I might try this if the flax seed oil doesn't work

MemberMember
(@misoxsoup)

Posted : 06/07/2011 2:42 am

Hmm I don't know if this works, at least not for me. I take Aleve whenever I get headaches and it's never helped with my acne. It sounds like an interesting alternative for some people though, grats if it works for you!!

MemberMember
(@bambacat99)

Posted : 06/28/2011 8:34 am

This sounds like a great remedy that I will try next month!

Please be cautious not to over due Aleve. The warnings are very serious as my friend went into kidney failure and had to be placed on dialysis. She is currently waiting for a transplant. This is, of course, from years of daily use.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 09/13/2011 3:57 pm

Would Ibuprofen work as well? I had itching and stomach upset from Naproxen. I know they both are NSAIDs -but I can tolerate IB. Go figure.

MemberMember
(@catherinemorland)

Posted : 10/31/2011 3:05 am

I never heard of that either. I take aleve when I get a headache or have cramps (thanks again mother-nature) but it never seems to hurt or help me.

MemberMember
(@pumpkinaliza)

Posted : 01/08/2012 2:36 pm

I have used Advil and Aleve for years for aches and pains and cramps and had no problems. I would like to give this a shot. Would it be ok to take Advil during the day and Aleve at night? Or should I just stick with one the whole time?

Usually for body pain I start with Advil and when that doesn't work switch to Aleve which usually works or at least lessens the pain.

MemberMember
(@sluijs)

Posted : 01/29/2012 5:54 am

Oke to make it clear for me (feel free to comment). Normally a woman cycle is about 28/30 days.

So imagine you have your period at 1 january, then normally you ovulate around the 14/16 day. Then you start taking aleve 2x a day for maximum of 10 days?

MemberMember
(@rumplesilkskin)

Posted : 04/12/2012 4:01 pm

is aleve available in pharmacys in ireland?!

my acne consists of whiteheads and horrible lumpy bumps that usually never come to a head on my cheeks, chin, jawline, neck and back. i have noted that before and during my cycle my face looks angry and red, trouble is it doesnt clear and then boom! next cycle is due... can aleve work to clear existing spots or does it just prevent new ones? i think ill give aleve a shot before asking my gp to put me on accutane

x

MemberMember
(@lillymay77)

Posted : 05/16/2012 5:35 pm

My main pimple problem with with ovulation..that's when I get them.

Maybe I could take them a few days before ovulation until a few days after..anyone else have the massive pimple problem that occurs with ovulation?

Yes I always get a cyst or two during ovulation......

MemberMember
(@jonesbev)

Posted : 05/22/2012 5:41 am

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne. link here

I tried it out this month, and it worked very well for me. I took two Aleve tablets each day, one with breakfast and one right after dinner -- and I only got two tiny, tiny pimples the whole week.

Normally during PMS week I would get a number of these little ones popping up on my nose and chin each day.

I stopped taking a regular dose of the Aleve as soon my period started, although I have taken one at night a couple of times since. From what I understand, you really have to be careful not to take too much ... it can cause stomach bleeding and other unpleasant side effects.

hi am new here and i saw your post. i wonder what age bracket you belong? coz sometimes age has it reasons.

it is always safe for you to consult a dermatologist and not to buy of over the counter meds. for there might be some other reason why you have acne specially when your already in late 20's and up.

aleve could give you side effects that is more serious than your stubborn acne, so be very cautios to what your buying over the counter. it is always safe if its the dermatologist prescription

my acne consists of whiteheads and horrible lumpy bumps that usually never come to a head on my cheeks, chin, jawline, neck and back. i have noted that before and during my cycle my face looks angry and red, trouble is it doesnt clear and then boom! next cycle is due... can aleve work to clear existing spots or does it just prevent new ones? i think ill give aleve a shot before asking my gp to put me on accutane

x

if your acne appears mostly in your chin and its quite big and lumpy. you might wanna consider going to your ob-gyne.

it may sound unreasonable why ob-gyne but this might help for you have not known that before cleaning outside skin you must consider first what is hapening inside you. it might be a problem inside and not outside. this an idea for you to think of other reason coz it might not be just a normal lumpy acne.

MemberMember
(@naturalsafe)

Posted : 06/22/2012 7:57 pm

Has everyone read this? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000526/
/> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naproxen#Risks_and_adverse_effects
/> http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-1289-NAPROXEN+-+ORAL.aspx?drugid=5173&drugname=naproxen+Oral&source=0

It says that it actually heightens the likelihood of a heart attack, where advil decreases it.

I would think twice before using anything like that to cure something that isn't going to kill you.

MemberMember
(@severacneneedhelp)

Posted : 07/24/2012 1:14 pm

My main pimple problem with with ovulation..that's when I get them.

Maybe I could take them a few days before ovulation until a few days after..anyone else have the massive pimple problem that occurs with ovulation?

I think this might be my case I think I sometimes get a massive pimple before my pimple, I will have to try some aleve.

MemberMember
(@cakies223)

Posted : 12/16/2012 1:22 pm

Thank you so much to whoever posted this! I have bad premenstral acne which was completely cured by birth control pills until the pills caused a blood clott in my leg so the pill was no longer safe for me and I was back to having uncontrolable premenstral breakouts. This has worked so well I used to break out badly two weeks before my period, then start to clear and have my red marks begin to fade just in time for another massive break out. I now take two alive a day for ten days before my period and use benyzol peroxide during that time too and I usually only get maybe one to three whiteheads on my chin that go away quickly and dont leave marks. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@rumplesilkskin)

Posted : 01/05/2013 4:27 am

I saw a thread in the Research forum recently about naproxen sodium (Aleve) ... said it was supposed to be very effective against premenstrual acne. link here

hi am new here and i saw your post. i wonder what age bracket you belong? coz sometimes age has it reasons.

it is always safe for you to consult a dermatologist and not to buy of over the counter meds. for there might be some other reason why you have acne specially when your already in late 20's and up.

aleve could give you side effects that is more serious than your stubborn acne, so be very cautios to what your buying over the counter. it is always safe if its the dermatologist prescription

x

if your acne appears mostly in your chin and its quite big and lumpy. you might wanna consider going to your ob-gyne.

it may sound unreasonable why ob-gyne but this might help for you have not known that before cleaning outside skin you must consider first what is hapening inside you. it might be a problem inside and not outside. this an idea for you to think of other reason coz it might not be just a normal lumpy acne.

Thank u jonesbev, I didnt try aleve because its not sold in ireland, I'm on accutane now and doing ok

MemberMember
(@biggs881)

Posted : 07/17/2013 7:58 pm

Some relevant studies on the effect of ibuprofen (in combination with oral antibiotics) on acne:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2932479

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6239884

MemberMember
(@madeleine24)

Posted : 08/26/2013 3:19 am

stomach bleeding/ulcers can be avoided by taking NSAIDs with food :)