Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane on the NHS: A UK Blog

MemberMember
(@goodbyescars)

Posted : 02/16/2018 7:41 am

It's difficult to comment properly on hair loss as my family also has a history of it. I finished isotretinoin back in Feb/March 2016 after 180 days and about 12,000mg. Yes isotretinoin does cause hair loss and my hair is even thinner now than it was back then. Like I say, with a family history of hair loss it is difficult to say if this is from isotretinoin or inherited. I think you will be fine because males are more prone to suffer from hair loss. Also, in my case isotetinoin was essential anyway as I had cycstic acne for 16 years (11 - 27). I will be getting a hair transplant in the near future. Good luck.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 03/01/2018 8:56 am

Two months post-accutane

So although the increased hair-loss is a little worrying, the good news is that my skin is generally doing very well. Redness is slowly slowly going and I don't flush so badly. I do have scars, which is 90% pre-Accutane. Some of the spots I got on my initial break-out did also scar and are taking longer to heal, but most of my scarring was already there. Here are some photos:

Two-months post-accutane (1).jpgTwo-months post-accutane (2).jpgTwo-months post-accutane (3).jpgTwo-months post-accutane (4).jpg

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 03/01/2018 1:18 pm

Time is flying! Skin looking great. Barely any redness now

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 03/04/2018 6:51 am

Yeah, it's definitely looking more normal now. In some lights my scars are barely visible, but in angled lighting they can look pretty bad. I might try introducing some topical Retin A into my skincare regime soon as that should help a little bit with the surface texture. But I think long-term I'm planning on trying subcision and microneedling - just something to raise those rolling scars. Having to wait six months though .... it's a fairly long wait.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 03/17/2018 6:27 am

Still losing quite a bit of hair, though my hair doesn't look thin. My scalp itself is still dry and sensitive, but not itchy like it was. I have an appointment at the dermatology clinic soon and will ask some questions about my hair loss then.
On the other hand, having clear skin is so liberating!!

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 04/10/2018 12:17 pm

So it's now over three months sinceI finished my Roaccutane course and I have a few updates:

First of all, I've now been signed out of the dermatology clinic. The nurse gave me her email if I need to contact her and she's going to ring to check in on me in a couple of months time regarding my hair loss. The good news is that my hair loss has definitely lessened in the last three weeks - so fingers crossed it's going back to normal. Saying that, I've been losing hair for over three months and yet my hair is not noticeably thin. It's only noticeable at the temples, and then only noticeable to me, not anyone else. In fact, when I had my hair cut recently my hairdresser commented on how much my hair had grown! So maybe I've been losing more hair because it's growing quicker? I don't know.

Finally, I still have no acne. A tiny tiny tiny whitehead appeared on my chin during that time of the month, but that was it and it disappeared after two days.

If people are still interested I will try and come back in a month to give you another update.

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@vtr)

Posted : 04/11/2018 2:33 pm

Hi Jolly,

Great to hear that things are still going well with your acne and that things are starting to look up with the hair loss.

As someone who will shortly be embarking on the post-accutane life, it will be great to carry on with the updates to see how you are getting on :)

All the best.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 05/16/2018 2:55 am

It's now four and a half months since I finished Roaccutane. I still continue to be acne-free! Considering that before Accutane I hadn't had a spot-free day in twelve years I can honestly say it is so liberating to be rid of it. I am prepared for the possibility that it might come back a little, but so far so good.

My hairloss has resolved itself and is now back to normal. My scalp is also doing so much better, and I'm hoping that soon I won't have to use my leave-in scalp moisturiser (Eucerin Dermocapillaire Calming Urea Scalp Treatment) which I've been using since month one of Roaccutane - and which was an absolute lifesaver. I will however continue to use a special sensitive shampoo - either Eucerin or Moogoo.

I've still been suffering with dry eyes on and off. If I look after them they don't tend to be a problem, but it's a faff having to remember to put eyedrops in.

Thanks vtr - I hope your post-accutane experience is good and the acne stays away.

I will try and come back in about a month to do one final update. I'm planning on undergoing some scar revision in the future so I'll still be about if anyone has any questions.

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 06/30/2018 8:07 am

This is my final 6 months post-Accutane update. I've been 99% acne free, with only minor, small spots appearing around that time of the month or after I've been eating a lot of sugar. Some of the oil has returned to my face, but not loads, and it doesn't seem to have made a huge difference. Fingers crossed for the future!

All my side-effects have gone. I can now wash my hair with normal shampoo again! I am still having problems with my eyes, but I've also been diagnosed with hayfever, so it's probably that. Apparently the pollen count here in the UK is the worst it's been in a while and many people who don't usually suffer from hayfever have been diagnosed with it for the first time this year.

I have scarrring, which is 90% pre-accutane. I did get some new scars while on accutane, but my skin was already fragile so I'm not entirely surprised. I'm planning on having some scar revision done, but will start a new thread when I finally get round to it.

Finally, I want to say thank you to the acne.org community for supporting me through the Roaccutane process. It was a difficult decision to make considering all the scary stories you read on the internet, but I'm glad I did it.

MemberMember
(@usama)

Posted : 06/30/2018 9:39 am

Wow what an amazing transformation, i wish my skin looks like yours, i am on month 2 week 8 and had an very bad initial breakout, now it's just red marks, only one pimple on my right cheek, your blog gave me hope to stay on this drug, please tell me how did you deal with your red marks i have marks only on my cheeks and jawline and other parts are clear.