Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane on the NHS: A UK Blog

MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 08/29/2017 9:07 am

You'd think the fat / omega / nut supplements would aid the absorption making you drier (even though fats make your skin less dry).

Pressure headaches are one of the side effects I thought. I had quite a bad one that lasted several days a couple of weeks ago. I also sometimes get them when my diet isn't as good, which it wasn't recently because I was going overboard and eating junk foods with high fat content to take the accutane with. Ha.

Best to get it checked of you're anxious though.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 08/31/2017 6:03 am

DAY 44

So after talking to my mum and my doctor it looks like I may have a minor viral infection (house points to Juwalker!). My mum has been suffering from similar symptoms to me, and it was shortly after I went to visit her that we both started getting headaches. The GP today took a look at my throat and ears and apparently inside my ears is looking red and inflamed. It certainly felt sore when he stuck the ear tool (Otoscope I think it's called) in there! He also took a look at my eyes and saw nothing abnormal. He advised me to stop drinking coffee (I only drink one cup of coffee a day, but it's STRONG coffee, hehe) and any other caffeinated drinks for a bit, keep hydrated, and take Paracetamol. I'll probably double check with my dermatologist when I see them next week, but that's definitely put my mind at rest.

Roaccutane is a serious medication. Although it's obviously counter-productive to stress out so much you make yourself worse, I think it's important to listen to your body and get things checked out if you're worried.

Also, on another positive note, my skin seems to be looking less red over the last couple of days! Yay for not being a beetroot face!

dw75 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@so_fitting)

Posted : 09/03/2017 7:34 am

I certainly find that my skin goes more red when i drink alcohol (dehydration) and drink alot of coffee and team, again being hydrated.

What i have personally done is changed my regimen a bit. I've started to take 10mg in the morning, and 20mg in the evening with dinner, and that yields the same results it seems, yet decreases the side effects (less red, less achy etc).

Also, when i wake up in the morning, i drink 2 pints of water, and then carry on as normal with my water intake during the day. It may seem a bit excessive, but i feel adding more water in the morning helps me hydrate better due to having 8 hours of no water while sleeping - this appears to yield results.

Keep us updated :)

BigM84 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 09/09/2017 5:10 am

DAY 53

Had my appointment at the dermatology centre yesterday. The nurse said she had hoped to see more progress, but said that sometimes the medication takes a little while to kick in for some people. One of my cheeks is mostly clear, though with a couple of small cyst-like spots high on the corner of my cheekbone, and a couple of 'bumps' that haven't made their mind up what to be. The other cheek has about 10 spots, some small pustules and other larger cyst-like spots. (I should probably take some photos at some point). The thing I've really noticed is that the spots are taking a much longer time to go away than usual - I'm assuming because the Roaccutane slows down skin cell turnover? She wasn't concerned at all with my headache and said it often happens when you increase the dose. She also proscribed some ointment for the stubborn itchy patch I have on my scalp. I'm now on 60mg each day.

My headache is still ongoing, but it's not always there, and most of the time when it is it's not really noticeable. Just a vague uncomfortable feeling, like a headache might happen, rather than actual pain or ache. Sometimes it hurts, but never for more than a minute. I've had no changes in vision, which is the symptom you really do have to look out for. I have noticed that my eyes get more tired though - I'm a little short-sighted and although I can get by just fine without my glasses I am finding that I'm using them more.

Thanks for the advice Stephen - I might try that! I do try and drink plenty of water before I go to bed, and normally some when I wake up in the middle of the night (which I've always seemed to do naturally most nights, although I fall back to sleep just fine).

After my appointment I went to Boot s and completely splurged on moisturiser and haircare products. I'm going to do a product review for what I've used so far in my next post.

dw75 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 09/09/2017 5:08 pm

Well it sounds from your description that you are making progress even if the doc expected more. Does the doc take photos of your progress each appointment? We have seen a different doc each time ( the consultant's various registrars) so they are not really giving feedback bout progress and no photos. Very useful to know re the headaches and that vision is the thing to watch with regard to side effects. Thanks.I had heard night vision was effected too.
Day 59 so very similar to you stage wise. Still breaking out everywhere on the face too and extremely dry lips that bleed on occasions and are cracking in the corners. No cysts tho at moment and definitely less comedones on the forehead. The back and back of neck are breaking out but it looks like something is happening. Hopefully the acne / clogged pores are being pushed out. 60mg too since Wednesday, 40mg for previous 28 days and 30 mg for 28 days b4 that. All the best. Keep us posted.

dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 09/12/2017 4:20 am

Month One Photos: Plenty of active acne, but surrounding skin doesn't look too bad. Acne is a mix of papules, pustules, and cysts.
_20170816_161109.JPG_20170816_161134.JPG_20170816_161154.JPG

Month Two Photos: Skin is more red and scarring is more noticeable, although some of this is down to the lighting. Left cheek still has quite a bit of active acne as well as spots that are healing or going down. Right cheek is clearer, but there's a nasty cyst on the cheekbone which has a small layer of antiseptic healing cream on it. There's also a couple of under the skin bumps which you can't really see, but are left over from the cysts from the previous month. I also have a huge double spot on my forehead which is really unusual, because I don't get spots on my forehead!! Skin is healing slower.

_20170912_101118.JPG_20170912_101141.JPG

dw75 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 09/12/2017 6:04 pm

Hang in there. Your lips look good on what you're using. This month , month 3 , is defo the worst so far for us in my opinion. Skin is really breaking out today. One corner of mouth is really cracked and sore. Used a bit of hydrocortizone cream which derm said was ok for the short term to help it heal. Wishing the timer would pass more quickly. All the best.

dw75 and Jollyhohnson liked
MemberMember
(@bigm84)

Posted : 09/13/2017 3:49 pm

On 26/08/2017 at 4:13 PM, dw75 said:

In person, my face looks red/blotchy and you can see the difference at my neck borderline where everything above is red/burnt-looking and everything below is a normal tone. And my derm said scars/red marks look worse while you're on accutane, so don't worry about that. I also think I may have broken out slightly from the increased dose, so that could be another factor

Stay positive. Hope you're feeling better today

Just wondering how you're getting on with the redness? Has it got any worse/better over time?

ive been on roaccutane nearly a month and had exactly the same sunburnt look since the first few days...I'm a 33 year old male on 30 mg p/day

MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 09/13/2017 7:55 pm

4 hours ago, BigM84 said:
Just wondering how you're getting on with the redness? Has it got any worse/better over time?

ive been on roaccutane nearly a month and had exactly the same sunburnt look since the first few days...I'm a 33 year old male on 30 mg p/day

I've done 9 weeks now and I'd say my redness has started to improve slightly, although you can still see the difference from above and below my neck. I think it's improved because I look better now despite a recent breakout, like the reduced redness has cancelled out the overall effect

I've got a log/thread with some progress pictures in the same sub forum as this one. Feel free to check out if you're curious

Any other questions feel free to ask

MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 09/14/2017 8:40 am

Comparing month 2 with month 1 and ignoring the unrelated redness, your acne looks like it's starting to dry out like mine did. Month 3 should be good!

MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 09/27/2017 8:35 am

Hey. How're you getting on?

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 09/29/2017 2:16 pm

DAY 73

Sorry for the delay in response. September's been so busy with work, which is kind of a good thing because it keeps me occupied, but also can be kinda stressful. Also, this weekend I ran my very first half-marathon!!

I'm getting on ok - ups and downs. Addressing your questions and comments in order:
Juwalker - my lips are definitely dryer, but they're not very dry. I apply Burts Bees lipbalm a few times a day, but I'm not having to apply it constantly like some people say you do. The corners of my mouth are fine too. I've got a couple of those pesky lip spots - you know the ones that sit right on your lip and hurt loads? I know better than to pick them so I'm just waiting them out.
BigM84 - actually, this month the redness has got a little better! I still flush really easily, and I tend to get a beetroot red face when I exercise, but the flush tends to hang around for less time. Overall my skin looks calmer, although the redness left behind from old spots is lasting much longer and spots are taking much more time to clear up. Skin texture doesn't look great, but remember your skin will be thinner and be turning over less quickly while on Roaccutane.
dw75 - I'm hoping that as the residual redness from old acne fades, I'll find the same thing - that my skin overall looks less red. I think it's going that way.

Month Three so far ... I don't want to jinx it but it seems my acne is clearing up. Don't currently have any cysts. I have one painful spot under my jaw and a couple of small pustules, much smaller than I usually get. One is on my lip line, another on my temple. Skin doesn't appear dry, but I use a hydrating moisturiser.
Side Effects:Headaches have been less persistent, and instead of a constant pressure I just get short headaches (lasting less than 5 minutes) from time to time. Scalp is still itchy, which is annoying, but it doesn't itch too bad. Mostly just in this one spot where it parts. Muscles and joints have been okay. The muscles over my ribs hurt after having my arms above my head (e.g. washing hair) or after certain exercises, but that's it.

Product Review

Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser: I love this cleanser. It's very gentle (clue's in the name) and isn't drying at all. It doesn't lather, but it glides really smoothly onto the skin. I wouldn't use it to remove make-up, but I don't really wear make-up day-to-day so this isn't a problem. Price is really good too, and it's often on offer in Boots.

Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion: I've been using this moisturiser for years and it's a good, all-purpose product. I use it on my face, my hands, my legs, anywhere that needs it really. It doesn't break me out, but it does tend to make my face a bit shiny so I use it as a night moisturiser. Recently however I'm not sure if it's moisturising enough for my new much dryer skin. I'm coming to the end of my current bottle, and I'm not sure whether to buy another or try something new - thoughts?

Burts Bees Lipbalm: Haven't got much to say about these - they work, they smell nice, but I don't think they're superior to other lip products. Just the same really. The honey one smells good enough to eat!

Sudocrem: I've been using this on sore spots or spots that have popped or dried up and peeled - basically any damaged skin. It seems to help calm and heal the skin, and possibly even draws the stuff inside the spot to the surface. It's anti-bacterial as well.

La Roche Posay Hydraphase UV Riche: I have mixed feelings about this moisturiser. On the one hand it didn't break me out and it was very hydrating, keeping my skin moisturised throughout the day. The added spf20 was just really convenient, and if it was a cloudy day this is what I'd put on. However, it seemed to rub off my skin as the day went on - creating these little globs of moisturiser that rolled up on my face if I rubbed it. I'm not sure why this happens. I've just switched to Avene Hydrance and it does the same, but less so.

Vichy Ideal Soleil spf50: This face suncream is fantastic. I use it instead of moisturiser because it's hydrating enough to be used on it's own. Because it's factor 50 it does tend to leave my face looking a little pale, and it does look a little shiny, but in general it looks ok and it's protects and moisturisesthe skin. Also doesn't break me out. I really didn't want the fuss of having to put a moisturiser and a suncream on every day, so it's nice just being able to use one product.

Juwalker and dw75 liked
MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 09/30/2017 2:28 pm

Great news! My headaches gradually went away as well. Half marathon on accutane? Well done! My knees have been feeling a bit off lately...

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 09/30/2017 5:04 pm

Wow, impressive running a half marathon!! Yes Cetaphil is good for the face and body. Blistex is good for the lips. Some people recommend Aquaphor as a moisturiser. They do one for body and also one for lips. I think they sell it in Boots and Asda from my online research.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/03/2017 6:26 am

DAY 77

Thanks guys! It was quite a challenge but I'm really proud of myself for doing it. I was really worried that starting Roaccutane would stop me doing the half-marathon but I've been listening closely to my muscles and joints and felt okay running. I'll probably lay-off the high impact sports for a bit now though, just in case. My skin has continued to behave. I even wore make-up at the weekend and it didn't look terrible!!

dw75 - sorry to hear about your knees. I've been taking aglucosamine and chondroitin supplement which is popular with runners - it's meant to help with joints and cartilage. Maybe you could try that?

Juwalker - I feel like Aquaphor might be a bit heavy for me. My skin isn't that dry really. I mean, it's definitely a dry skin type now as opposed to an oily skin type, but it's not that bad at all. I prefer a moisturiser with spf protection as well because it's just handy to have.

I had one product that I missed off my list - Eucerin DermoCapillaire Calming Urea Scalp Treatment. This stuff is an absolute life-saver and helped my dry, itchy, flaky, sensitive scalp back to an almost normal condition. I use it after washing my hair as a leave-in treatment, so I'm not using it every day. I still have a sensitive scalp, and occasional itchy patches, but this product helped so much. I've just started my third bottle.

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/03/2017 4:25 pm

Thanks. All advice and recommendations of products gratefully received. I am so rubbish with technology I can't turn off this underline. Lol!!!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/08/2017 9:09 am

DAY 82 (almost at the end of Month Three):

Skin is definitely looking smoother - less active breakouts. I have some stubborn old spots on my lower left cheek which are taking forever to heal and go away. I also had three new spots (two on right cheek, one on chin) all at once recently which have now flaked off and are in the process of healing. I have one current spot on my right cheek, which I have a feeling is an old cyst resurfacing as it never fully came to the surface last time. Makes me sad how visible some of my rolling scars are, but I think the redness is at least slowly slowly getting better. (It's very unnerving seeing such giant, close-ups of my face!).

Month3_1.JPGMonth3_3.JPG

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/08/2017 5:25 pm

Your skin defo looks better. Altho it's redder than in month one , there is much less , if any, active acne. The redness is part of the healing I guess. It's working for sure. Exciting!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/10/2017 3:28 pm

DAY 84

I had my latest appointment at the dermatology treatment centre yesterday. I had to do a blood test the week before and this time it was a fasting blood test - so no food for 12 hours before hand. Unfortunately someone forgot to tell me this detail so I turned up having had breakfast and had to go make another appointment for the day after. Anyway, it was all sorted before yesterday.

My blood test came back normal and the nurse was really happy with my progress. I see the same nurse each time and she's really lovely to talk to. Gives me the time I need to ask questions and really puts me at ease. She told me today that she herself has taken Roacctuane, so she really sympathises with what her patients are going through. She said I have ten active papules, which is actually more than I can see myself, but they're not nearly as big or inflamed as before (except one). She would normally like to see more progress, but some people do take longer to respond to the medication. My side effects at this point have all plateaued. Headaches have disappeared. Eyes are feeling normal. My scalp is still sensitive, but products are keeping this under control, just about. I flush quite easily, especially in warm rooms, and I've been getting random dry patches on the backs of my hands and my elbows, but a little moisturiser sorts that right out.

As I said I would I asked my nurse about when they would consider my treatment finished and she said that they will continue the prescription beyond the normal time if there is still active acne, but hopefully that won' t be the case. As it is I'm actually over half-way through my course!

Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/19/2017 4:10 pm

DAY 93

I have a new side effect to add to the list. After the inner corner of my eye had been feeling a bit sore for a couple of days I made a visit to the optician on Tuesday and I've been diagnosed with a mild case of blepharitis - or inflammation of the eye lashes. Basically, I have dry eyes. Currently treating this with some eye drops so will see how it goes.

Acne update: the spot on my right cheek flared up really badly. I'm normally so good at not touching my spots but I may have popped it once it came to a head and I kinda regret it. It's gone down, but it's not fully gone away. Though really, what's another scar at this point? I have so many already ... sigh. I have another new spot developing on my right cheekbone, it's quite sore and red. Other than that I'm clear, but my skin texture isn't the best.

dw75 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/20/2017 8:33 am

Bless. Hope the dry eyes aren't too painful? Hope the eye drops help ease it. That side effect is listed on the sheet that comes with the medication.
As far as your skin goes things seem to be looking up. Hang in there. Half way is almost there!!!

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/21/2017 3:13 am

DAY 95

Thanks Juwalker - your support really keeps my spirits up!! I was having a real 'ugly' day yesterday - just feeling really low and self-conscious, comparing my skin to everybody else's around me. It's vain and stupid, I know, but sometimes I can't help it. But when I come on this forum and hear from you guys I feel so much better. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

No, they're not painful at all. It just sometimes feels like I've got something in the corner of my eye, and it feels a little irritated. But not all the time, and it's just in one eye. I'm hoping this means the medication is doing it's job, because my skin itself still isn't particularly dry. My lips have been feeling dryer though, at least they feel tight and I'm putting lip balm on more often. And my scalp is still a little itchy in this one spot, despite putting moisturising and calming lotion on it.

I now have two new spots developing on my right cheekbone, just next to each other. They're both pretty red but the first one feels less sore today.

Another problem is that the treatment centre couldn't find me an appropriate appointment time for next month, so I'm going to be three days short with my Roaccutane. Do I miss three days? Or do I take 40mg a couple of times a week to save pills for those three days? I complained but the person on the phone said it was fine apparently. Grr.

dw75 and Juwalker liked
MemberMember
(@dw75)

Posted : 10/23/2017 10:10 am

We all have those days. Admittedly I have them too often than I should. But stay positive!

Things are still improving despite breakouts, which should decrease in severity/amount as time goes by. Just think long term. A few more months worth of accutane in your system can only be good. Things can only get better from now on!

Your thinking with the missing pills thing is funny, I think like that too. I was trying to calculate what day I needed to collect prescription at the last moment without missing a day. I don't think missing a few days will matter though, or spreading the dose out, since the total dose absorbed by the body will still be the same

MemberMember
(@juwalker)

Posted : 10/23/2017 5:17 pm

Hope symptoms ease for u soon. 
Ditto. It helps so much to share knowledge and tips and know other people care and understand what you are going through. 
Agree with dw75.The doc advised us that a few days would make no difference too. Annoying the way they have too many people per clinic and that always means not enough appointments. I don't expect it will make much difference whatever you do but I would probably spread the dose out to increase chance of absorption.

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 10/29/2017 11:12 am

DAY 103

Since following the treatment plan from the optician my eyes have been much better. Back to normal even. Now, I just need to put eye drops in once or twice a day which is fine. My lips are still feeling a little dry. They're not cracking, but they feel tight and rough. Another thing I've noticed is how sensitive my skin is. If it rubs against something it can get red and sore really easily.

The two spots on my cheekbone got pretty big and sore, and they took a few days to surface properly. But they're healing now. Got one more spot, next to those two, but that one was much smaller and surfaced really quickly. It's healing too. The redness from my old spots is really hanging around though. Without spots my scarring has become much more apparent. It's not always visible, it depends on the light, but it reminds me that getting rid of the acne is only the first half of the battle. I know I should be feeling positive that my acne is going away, but instead I can't help feeling anxious that it might come back after Roaccutane and I won't be able to treat my scars.

Yeah, I'm doing the odd day at 40mg rather than 60mg to save a few pills for those three in-between days.

Juwalker liked