Notifications
Clear all

Documenting My 'tane Journey 37 Year Old Female

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/15/2014 12:02 pm

Are you walking like a 100 year old person yet? Lol Anytime I get up from sitting somewhere for too long I feel like a 100 year old!

YES!!!!! It's crazy! I feel like I did a hard workout but I've done nothing! When I get up in the mornings I'm limping around like an elderly person.

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 07/15/2014 3:35 pm

Know how that feels, it doesn't really let up much either :(

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/16/2014 8:24 pm

Today is Day 27 and I have freaked myself out by watching youtube videos. I noticed two of the people I follow had to restart accutane within a year of finishing because they started breaking out again! I really, really would like to get a good 5 years acne free.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/18/2014 12:21 pm

Today is day 29. I have one pill left and will have to be off for probably 3-5 days depending on how fast blood work comes back. It's annoying but I'm going to try and get an earlier appt next month if they will let me.

My jawline is riddled with under the skin cystic acne. So painful! Luckily it's an area that's easily concealed with makeup. I can palpate the jawline and feel all the spots lurking and ready to come up. Scary! The sandpaper skin is moving to the other side of my face so now it's on each side of my mouth on the cheeks and forehead. I have 10 active spots right now and some healing.

Symptoms are the same. Mainly joint soreness, breakouts, dry inside nose, dry eyes at night, slightly dry lips though they are never without balm so it's hard to tell.

Symptoms I don't have after a month are dryness of the skin or scalp, itchiness and mood changes.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/18/2014 1:24 pm

Progress, or lack thereof, pictures!

My right side is worse while the left side is healing nicely.... For now.

post-397119-0-50542800-1405707783_thumb.

post-397119-0-46914400-1405707796_thumb.

post-397119-0-40796700-1405707812_thumb.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/20/2014 1:25 pm

Today is day 31 but I'm out of pills. Eeeeek! My appt is tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have more by Wednesday.

My right cheek is wrecked right now. I have 5 painful spots but the ones you can't pick. Also a few on my jaw line. The good news is when I run my fingers along the jawline it's not a bumpy under the skin as it was so hopefully everything lurking is almost out!

Still no dryness, flushing or red face. Plenty of soreness and breakouts.

I went to The Body Shop and got practically the whole Vitamin E line. It's very mild and hopefully will help with not scarring. Nothing else going on. I'm just not so patiently waiting for my next prescription. Then I start Month 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 07/20/2014 8:00 pm

That's so wrong that you're out of pills. iPledge, I swear.

My skin isn't dry yet either. Except on or around healing breakouts. Those dry out and flake like crazy. But the rest of my face, where there aren't any breakouts, is fine. In fact, I have to remind myself to moisturize.

My lips are another mattermust have balm at all timesand my eyes itch on and off, but that's about it.

Fingers crossed you'll get to start month two on Wednesday!

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/21/2014 4:00 pm

Rachelwp, your skin will cycle, trust me! Keep on keeping on as it will get better. Regarding relapses, try not to think about it. Our body will do what it wants to do so don't stress ever something you have no control over. The 1st few months are the worse but once all the ickies get out, you should heal up nicely.

Rachelwp liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/21/2014 8:55 pm

That's so good to hear LeeLowe!

I went to the doctor today and she was pleased with my progress. She said by not being flaky and dry that I'm ahead of the game because that makes it all worse. I'm still on 40 mg and I'll get that as soon as my blood tests come back. I asked about getting in early so I don't miss days and she says ipledge won't let her enter the pregnancy test results until day 30 so I can come in a few days early, get the lab slip, then on day 30 go to the lab and just miss a day or two. I wish it wasn't like that but there's nothing I can do.

I'm still broken out like crazy. I have about 12 spots of varying sizes. Sandpaper skin still hanging around my left cheek but better on my forehead. I'm excited to start month 2 in a few days!

leelowe1 liked
MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/22/2014 2:14 pm

Bloodwork in and it was all good so I did iPledge's test and I'm waiting on the Dr to call it in to the pharmacy. I'm 3 days off the tane right now so I'm anxious to get back on it! Hopefully by the end of today!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/22/2014 5:13 pm

If you don't listen to anything I say listen to this. DO NOT LET THE DRS OFFICE SEND THE PRESCRIPTION ELECTRONICALLY!!!! Make sure you leave the office with a paper prescription. I'm having the WORST time getting it filled because the doctors office sent the prescription, the pharmacy isn't seeing it in their system. It's so annoying I can't handle it. Now the business day is over and I still don't have my meds. After 3 calls to the drs office, and three to Walgreens I'm so annoyed by it all. Never, ever, ever leave without paper. It will save you tons of headaches.

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 07/23/2014 8:17 am

This is good to know Rachel, thanks! I left with a paper prescription the first time around because I wasn't sure which Walgreen's I wanted to use. It took them forever to do whatever it is they need to do at their end with iPledge, but at least I didn't have to deal with the machinations of electronic scripting. I go back in tomorrow for my second box of pills. I'll definitely ask for a paper script, and also make sure my doc logs in themselves. They forgot to do this the first time, I had to call them and then iPledge booted me out of its system. I must have been a sight to see, sitting in my car in 90-degree weather, cussing at my iPad and phone simultaneously :)

MemberMember
(@mandycandy)

Posted : 07/23/2014 1:48 pm

My dr completely forgot to send in my prescription once, so I went a week without medicine. Its so frustrating, hope they get it sorted out soon!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/23/2014 5:37 pm

So after 12 calls to Walgreens (i'm not even exaggerating that's the exact number) and three calls to and from the doctors office I have my meds. It's so frustrating! I hope these lapses have no effect on treatment.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/24/2014 11:32 am

Nothing new to report but I don't want to lose track of my days so today is day 32 of treatment. I'm still not dry at all, but I've been off 5 days. All is well and I'm excited to have my pills and don't have to stress again for 30 days.

Products I'm loving: The entire Vitamin E line at The Body Shop. It's very hydrating and good for dry skin. I'm hoping it helps me combat dryness if I ever get it!

Specifically the Cream Cleanser which is a milky creamy consistency and you rub it all over then wipe it off. No water needed. It surprisingly gets all my makeup off and my skin feels very hydrated after. Not tight or dry at all. Then the Hydrating Toner. It's thicker than any toner I've ever used. I can actually squirt it in my hand and rub it on my face like a serum. Love it.

I highly recommend St. Ives spray lotion. It's so easy to use and smells fantastic.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/24/2014 8:43 pm

I'm going to pout for a minute. I want to be dry. Everyone is dry. It feels like it's not working when I'm not dry! I know it's a dumb thing to wish for.

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 07/24/2014 9:14 pm

I only just this week got dry. And my makeup looks like crap because of it. Now, if I weren't breaking out, I could of course go WITHOUT it, but nooooooooo. I haven't had a break in breakouts since about a week before getting on Accutane and prior to that, I'd been breaking out steadily since March. Which is the whole ding dang reason I'm on this drug, which I hope to God better not turn out to be an expensive waste of time (when all is said and done, I will have dropped the equivalent of a down payment on a house on my skin).

At any rate, I went without today because I had my beginning of second month appt., and my doc likes to track "progress" with photos of bare skin. Of course, as soon as we were done, I went to the bathroom and put on my face. Then looked at myself in the mirror once I got in the car and thought: "Sheesh. You look like someone threw chalk dust on your face."

Can't win for losing.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/24/2014 10:37 pm

Awe, I'm sorry about the whole makeup ordeal. I'm glad I didn't buy any powders and concealer except for a garnier BB cream, because even if it's the most expensive and high quality makeup dry skin would doom the look.

I'm so nervous as to what would I do once the semester starts.

Part of me is telling me to man it up as I've been doing for the past month+, but then I imagine how I'll be the person with the most acne in the room, or even the building, who knows, and that gives me serious anxiety.

I can't even experiment with makeup now because it'd be pointless as my skin is naturally oily. It'd suck to start trying to figure out a good makeup routine when I'm busy with school related things.

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/30/2014 6:15 pm

I'm on day 38. Everything is status quo. My moods are fine, my skin isn't even dry. I had a new spot this morning, and several that are in the healing process.

One thing I didn't expect is irregular periods. I'm almost 2 weeks late. I'm not pregnant because I've had the blood tests, and taken all the precautions, but I didn't realize it was a symptom until I looked it up.

I have gone through an entire bottle of eye drops. I put them in every night before bed and I'm starting another bottle tonight. I made the mistake of buying "Cooling" lubricating drops. Talk about BURN!!!! Yikes! I do not recommend them at all.

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/30/2014 8:07 pm

Did any of u ladies notice your pores getting bigger initially? I'm 32 had a sudden severe cystic outbreak now on accutane but it looks likes

Its making my pores worse n everything leaving marks n indentations

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/30/2014 8:51 pm

Did any of u ladies notice your pores getting bigger initially? I'm 32 had a sudden severe cystic outbreak now on accutane but it looks likes

I haven't noticed this exact problem, but from what I understand it will make it worse before it gets better. How far along are you in treatment?

MemberMember
(@sankofa1)

Posted : 07/31/2014 7:09 am

a little over a week...im just worried about the thinning of skin at my age...if it is not as strong as say a 16 year olds who is on Accutane....the past couple of days I just notice my pores more enlarged and skin much more fragile and peeling

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/31/2014 7:42 am

Your skin is defnitely going to go through some changes, some good, some not so good so be prepared. Also the IB can be a @itch. Overall though, it'll be worth it.

Keep strong sistah!

MemberMember
(@dawgdaze64)

Posted : 07/31/2014 9:54 am

Hello, I just turned 50 back in April and I'm on a second course of Accutane (first was 25 years ago). I'm in the middle of my 5th week, currently on 40mg per week. I noticed a definite enlargement of my pores initially, and a kind of magnification of the scars that were already on my face. I attribute that to dehydration. I was so oily the first three or so weeks, I didn't moisturize. Then my face dried up, like, overnight, and I was left looking really haggard. Finally took a bunch of posters' advice and started moisturizing like mad. It's better now. Pores no longer enlarged, and my skin looks and feels better. I think the mantra of the Accutane Roller Coaster is: Things always get worse before they get better. Oh, and don't pick :)

I'm on day 38. Everything is status quo. My moods are fine, my skin isn't even dry. I had a new spot this morning, and several that are in the healing process.

One thing I didn't expect is irregular periods. I'm almost 2 weeks late. I'm not pregnant because I've had the blood tests, and taken all the precautions, but I didn't realize it was a symptom until I looked it up.

I have gone through an entire bottle of eye drops. I put them in every night before bed and I'm starting another bottle tonight. I made the mistake of buying "Cooling" lubricating drops. Talk about BURN!!!! Yikes! I do not recommend them at all.

Ooooo, yeah. Stay away from anything marked "cooling" or that is primarily to get the red out. That stuff stings and can make things worse. I've been alternating Systane with Refresh and a no-name drop for allergy eyes. Refresh actually makes my eyes blurry for several minutes afterward, but after that my eyes feel great. yay to only one new spot!

MemberMember
(@rachelwp)

Posted : 07/31/2014 3:51 pm

Are you moisturizing with something for dry skin? Not a light moisturizer, but something thicker like CeraVe Moisturizing CREAM. The lotion is thinner. I'm a bit baffled because I'm not dry yet and today was day 40. My friends think it's because I moisturize like it's my job. IB is terrible, but it is a means to an end so hang in there. I'm crazy broken out for me right now. I feel two huge spots lurking under the skin ready to make an appearance. They are big and sore. I can't wait for that fun!