Notifications
Clear all

First Time Accutane Log (With Pictures) (18 / Male)

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/07/2014 1:23 pm

Hey everybody!

After years of struggling with acne and trying different products I am finally gonna start my accutane treatment! It all started when I turned 15. My acne got pretty bad and I began to feel very depressed about it all, so I went to the doctor and he prescribed me benzoylperoxide. After about 2 months there was no improvement at all and I really suffered from the side effects like dryness and itchiness. My face was still one big mess, so the doctor prescribed me minocycline (antibiotics). That worked really really well. I was totally clear and felt great. However, after 1 year my acne came back. I didn't feel like going to the doctor again so tried some simple things like scrubbing, sea-salt, different kinds of face washes and stuff. Offcourse that didn't really help anything, but I didn't know what else to do. Last summer however I discovered this website and I decided that I wanted to try the regimen for 3 months. In the beginning it helped a lot, but again, it didn't work in the end. That's when I started to feel very depressed about life. I lost my beautiful girlfriend, I lost contact with my old friends and I also failed in school for the second year. I decided I couldn't live like that anymore, so I went to the doctor again. I really wanted to take accutane, but he said he wanted to try doxycyline first, so I did that and again, after 2.5 months there was no improvement at all so I had to go to a dermatologist.

Today I went for the first time to the derm and she immediately prescribed me accutane yeeah:) Tommorow I am gonna take my first pills!

This is how it looks today (before accutane):

post-368103-0-62000400-1389118969.jpg

post-368103-0-17887800-1389118976.jpg

How it looks now (Day 69):

post-368103-0-15778900-1395084371.jpg

I decided to start a log for a few reasons. First of all, I really think this log is gonna help me see things a little more positive and that is exactly what I need at the moment, because I am still pretty sad and depressed. Secondly, I hope I can help some people with my log:) Also I hope my english writing skills improve a little by writing this daily posts haha.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 01/07/2014 2:34 pm

Good luck man, youll love the results

MemberMember
(@megtree)

Posted : 01/08/2014 12:40 pm

Good luck! You'll look great and feel better in no time! I'm really glad you found this forum because it has really kept me (and I think alot of other people) from being down in the dumps - especially while they're on accutane. Remember to keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/08/2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for the nice comments:) It really makes me happy.

Day 1

So today I took my first pills. I am sooo excited. Can't wait to see the first results:) But for now, let's prepare for the initial breakout to come and hope it's not going to be really bad. By the way, I think I am going to post every day just a little update and maybe every week an update with (progress) pictures.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/09/2014 12:39 pm

Day 2

Nothing to report actually. Just the usual amount of new (little) pimples that came up this morning. No painful ones luckily:) Also didn't notice any side effects yet. Well, maybe slightly dryer lips, but nothing crazy. I am taking 1x10mg in the morning and 1x20mg in the evening by the way. I guess it doesn't make any difference to take both at once or to take them separated? Correct me if I'm wrong.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 01/09/2014 1:38 pm

I'd like to wish you good luck! I finished my course of accutane about 2 months ago and the results have been amazing (I think the photos are on page 4 of my log if you would like to see them). I hope you have the same success!

Feel free to ask me any questions throughout your treatment, I'm happy to help. Any by the way, your English is perfect!

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/10/2014 12:01 pm

@ EatsRainbows Thank you! I have seen your log. Just amazing how much improvement you have made. Thanks for the compliment on my English by the way! It makes me happy:)

Day 3

My skin got a little worse, especially on my cheeks below my ears. About the side effects:

My lips got a little dryer again. Maybe it's a good idea to start looking for a good cream for my lips already, because I'm pretty sure they are gonna get dryer and dryer from now on. Besides of the dry lips I have nothing really to complain about. No other side effects yet.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/11/2014 1:17 pm

Day 4

Despite the fact that it's weekend now, I'm not feeling great. Got a few new big painful pimples in places I have never gotten them before like on my neck and just near my nose. On the other hand, my skin is getting pretty dry already. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. Also my lips are getting dryer and dryer. Luckily I have a good chapstick that is taking care of it right now :) Besides of dry skin and lips no side effects yet, which is nice!

MemberMember
(@robertitoo)

Posted : 01/12/2014 2:40 am

Good luck man.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/12/2014 2:46 pm

@ Robertitoo Thankyou!

Day 5

My skin has gotten pretty dry. On some places where I have/had pimples are now scabs surrounded by flaky, dry skin. Especially on my cheeks and near my nose. Also I think the initial breakout is starting to kick in. When I stood up this morning there were like 8 new pimples on my forehead and my cheeks. Hopefully this is the initial breakout already and hopefully it will be gone soon :) We'll see. Still no side effects besides dry skin and dry lips yet.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/14/2014 2:08 pm

Day 6/7

My skin has been pretty terrible for the last 2/3 days. Breakouts everywhere. Slowly but surely all the non-inflamed bumps I had are turning into big inflamed pustules and cysts. It's really painful to watch and the worst thing is that it's constantly itchy from all the upcoming pimples and the healing ones. I am having a hard time not touching my face. It's driving me nuts! Today I went to an amusement park with my family because I had a free day. It was pretty nice, however I got really sad in the afternoon because some people were just staring at me like I am a freaking monster. I just can't understand it. Haven't these people ever seen people with acne??! It's so frustrating!

About the side effects: Not much has changed. My lips are still dry and my skin on my face as well. Blistex and Cetaphil are keeping it moisturized though.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/16/2014 11:12 am

Day 8/9

It has definitely calmed down a bit. Still getting little breakouts, but overall it's not that bad. I can even see some improvement already. The overall texture of my skin looks much better and smoother and almost all blackheads on my nose are gone now! For now let's hope it is not going to get worse again. The side effects are not that bad either at the moment. My skin on my face is still pretty flaky, but not as bad as it was before. Also my lips haven't become any dryer :) In a few days I will post new progress pictures.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/20/2014 4:09 pm

Day 10 - 13

Oh man, I love accutane. Seriously. It has worked wonders for me the last few days. I would say I am already clear now for about 60/70%. Still lots of blackheads and closed comedones, but overall just waayyy better. On the downside however, my skin is very sensitive now. It's red, flaky, itchy and sometimes burining a little, but nothing in comparison to the side-effects I experienced with 'the regimen' (benzoylperoxide). Other than I haven't experienced any new side-effects. Just the (regular) dry cracked lips and sensitive and dry skin. Nothing to complain about:)

MemberMember
(@eline89)

Posted : 01/20/2014 4:35 pm

Wow, that was pretty quick! Happy for you. :) I've been on Accutane for 12 days now and haven't got a single side effects and skin hasn't changed the slighest. I'll just wait, I think.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/21/2014 7:53 am

Wow, that was pretty quick! Happy for you. :) I've been on Accutane for 12 days now and haven't got a single side effects and skin hasn't changed the slighest. I'll just wait, I think.

Yeah I am just very very lucky I guess. Normally people can see results in over 2 months, so don't be dissapointed. It's all gonna be fine after all and I'm sure the results are gonna be amazing! :) What dosage are you on?

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/25/2014 12:43 pm

Day 14 - 18

I just realised it has been a few days since my last update. Unfortunately, the last few days I got some new big pimples including some cysts, however, I am pretty sure these new pimples came up on places I had non-inflamed bumps before, so I guess my skin is still sort of cleaning itself? Oh well, it's looking better already then before I started accutane anyways, so I should not complain. For now let's just hope it's not gonna get any worse next week, because it's my birthday this thursday.

MemberMember
(@behappyeveryday)

Posted : 01/25/2014 9:52 pm

Day 14 - 18

I just realised it has been a few days since my last update. Unfortunately, the last few days I got some new big pimples including some cysts, however, I am pretty sure these new pimples came up on places I had non-inflamed bumps before, so I guess my skin is still sort of cleaning itself? Oh well, it's looking better already then before I started accutane anyways, so I should not complain. For now let's just hope it's not gonna get any worse next week, because it's my birthday this thursday.

yea Accutane is pushing the hidden ones out. I'm on Day 14 and experiencing similar situations. Some pimples and cysts are surfacing. Don't worry, they will be gone faster than before. Good luck! and hope you have a wonderful birthday ahead!

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/26/2014 3:20 pm

@ whatanate, Thank you! smile.png I guess I will just have to get through this stage.

Day 19

Not much has changed since my update yesterday ofcourse, but I realised I forgot the pictures I promised to take a few posts before haha. Here they are. Do not mind my weird facial expression hahah.

post-368103-0-86745700-1390767372.jpg

post-368103-0-27640500-1390767387.jpg

As you can see still pretty far from clear, but that's to be expected after just 19 days.

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 01/31/2014 11:27 am

Day 20 - 25

The Accutane is really kicking in nicely. The last few days my skin has been improving a lot smile.png The only downside is that I got some pretty dry patches on my hand and on my face as well. On my hand it looks kinda like eczema. Other than that I am incredibly happy. Probably happier than I have been for the last 4 months.

Some pictures so you guys can see the improvement yourself.

post-368103-0-97526400-1391185489.jpg

post-368103-0-18681800-1391185497.jpg

MemberMember
(@milesconn)

Posted : 02/04/2014 4:07 am

Nice log bro really appreciate someone sharing a similar experience to me. Thanks.

patrick95 liked
MemberMember
(@behappyeveryday)

Posted : 02/05/2014 5:18 pm

Wow you are looking great man! Congratulations on the progress so far! I am on Day 25 and I only have a few active pimples left. They don't bother me that much. I don't have dry face or lips probably because I use lip balm all the time. Are you still on 30mg/day dosage? I am on 20mg now but will increase to 40mg on the 11th. I am hoping that increasing dosage won't break me out again...

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 02/06/2014 12:31 pm

@ whatanate Thanks! I am really happy with the results so far. Just amazing how much it has improved in such a short period of time. Lucky you! My lips and face are pretty dry all the time. Got to use lip balm like every 2 hours to keep it in control, however I think it's all worth it.

Day 30 (1 month)

Not too much has changed since last update. Haven't gotten any big new pimples on my right side, which is awesome. My left side broke out a little, but still nothing compared to the breakouts I got 1.5/2 months ago. The pores on my nose and forehead got a little bigger and the blackheads are becoming more visible. I guess they are gonna get pushed out pretty soon. Besides of the dry lips and face I got some myalgia in my back and neck and there is some eczema on my hands. Both of this side-effects however are pretty much managable and totally worth it in the end. :) New update in about a week!

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 02/20/2014 12:41 pm

Day 44

Wanted to give you guys an update a week ago already, but I was kinda busy unfortunately. My skin has gotten worse since last update:( I've been getting new pimples like on a daily basis again, which is incredibly frustrating. They also look way redder than a few weeks ago and are often inflamed, which causes pain. The only thing that has improved for me is that my black heads on my nose are now gone for about 95%. The side-effects are still the same: dry skin, eczema & dry lips.

Hopefully it's gonna get better soon because I'm getting really sad because of this.

MemberMember
(@astarte)

Posted : 02/23/2014 5:05 am

Hang in there, you're around the 2 month mark now where people say they start noticing an improvement. But even if you don't, other people say it doesn't stay clear until near the end of the treatment. It will happen, don't worry! :)

MemberMember
(@patrick95)

Posted : 03/08/2014 10:59 am

@Astarte Thankyou! Yea, I am pretty sure the results are gonna be amazing haha, it's just so hard to be patient sometimes.

Day 60 (2 months)

The 2 month mark has been reached! I have to say I already made a lot of progress since I started Accutane 2 months ago. I may still not be clear, but overall my skin is just waaayyy better now. I noticed my right cheek, which has always been the worst, feels now pretty flat and soft. The biggest problem on that cheek is now the red marks I guess. My forehead has been improving almost everyday. In 2 months I had maybe like 2 big breakouts total. Also, I just recently noticed that the blackheads on my forehead are coming to the surface as well, just like they did on my nose.

The side effects:

In these 2 months I didn't experience very bad side-effects. Just like almost everybody else on Accutane I experienced dry, cracked, and sometimes bleeding lips, dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skin, eczema (on hands), a few headaches and a few times myalgia in my back and neck. Other than that nothing I can think of, so not too bad