Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Log, Male & 17

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 03/03/2014 6:39 am

Day 72-79

I had my 18th birthday this last week, therefore I had a few drinks, which I thought was fair enough. Anyway, I think this brought along a mini breakout, which has died out around now. Otherwise, I've noticed that maybe my skin tone is getting paler (which is better than it was) and my skin is a lot drier now! Have a derm appointment in a few days, will see what happens then!

Happy Birthday!

What are you using to combat the dryness?

Thanks! I'm a bit clueless in this area.. I haven't been using anything and leaving my face to look dry - the Cetaphil moisturiser broke me out the last time I applied it so I'm reluctant to use this...

Day 80-82

Face maybe getting a bit smoother now which is great. Just had my derm appointment for the end of my third month and I'm staying on 40mg for this month then moving up to 60mg for the last two months of my course. All seems to be going okay, albeit slowly, scarring (hyperpigmentation) will be an issue, however I'm much happier dealing with this than active acne!

Fingers crossed

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 03/09/2014 4:43 am

Day 83-88

Still the same story really, skin still very dry although I've noticed that my face does feel a lot smoother!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/09/2014 3:54 pm

Day 72-79

I had my 18th birthday this last week, therefore I had a few drinks, which I thought was fair enough. Anyway, I think this brought along a mini breakout, which has died out around now. Otherwise, I've noticed that maybe my skin tone is getting paler (which is better than it was) and my skin is a lot drier now! Have a derm appointment in a few days, will see what happens then!

Happy Birthday!

What are you using to combat the dryness?

Thanks! I'm a bit clueless in this area.. I haven't been using anything and leaving my face to look dry - the Cetaphil moisturiser broke me out the last time I applied it so I'm reluctant to use this...

Day 80-82

Face maybe getting a bit smoother now which is great. Just had my derm appointment for the end of my third month and I'm staying on 40mg for this month then moving up to 60mg for the last two months of my course. All seems to be going okay, albeit slowly, scarring (hyperpigmentation) will be an issue, however I'm much happier dealing with this than active acne!

Fingers crossed

Vaseline, Vanicream's Skin Cream, Eucerin's Aquaphor, and Theraplex HydroLotion are good options. The HydroLotion is the most compatible/feels less greasy on oily skin, but they're all similar. Aquaphor is more hydrating.

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 03/16/2014 5:00 am

Day 89-95

Skin definitely feeling much better at the moment, I currently have a couple, if any, active spots and am thinking about starting to treat my hyper pigmentation. I've bought tea tree oil and Aloe Vera creams that have been recommended to me so that when I'm ready I can start the process of healing the skin. Quite happy right now about the general condition of it though!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/16/2014 4:58 pm

Day 89-95

Skin definitely feeling much better at the moment, I currently have a couple, if any, active spots and am thinking about starting to treat my hyper pigmentation. I've bought tea tree oil and Aloe Vera creams that have been recommended to me so that when I'm ready I can start the process of healing the skin. Quite happy right now about the general condition of it though!

Hyperpigmentation as in brown spots or red marks?

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 03/30/2014 1:14 pm

Michelle, they're more of a red colour...

Day 96-109

So haven't updated this post for a long time, mainly due to the lack of activity on my face! Since last updating, I've got very few 'proper' spots that come to a head. Now and again, I'll get a slightly raised red bump but rarely they grow into anything bigger. So at the moment I'm starting to use Aloe Vera 99.9% lotion on my forehead, just to check out how it deals with decreasing redness of hyperpigmentation. My biggest problem at the moment is actually the dryness around my chin area, which is mainly why I haven't yet started to deal with the hyperpigmentation around that area (using the aloe vera). Yesterday I started my dose of 60mg/day, which my dermatologist told me will be my maximum dose for the last 2 months of my course.

So hopes are high that I don't have an initial breakout for the higher dose, as I started the final stretch of my course. My main problems are dryness and scarring, which bother me way less than active spots do!

Fingers crossed...

MemberMember
(@vojta3476)

Posted : 03/30/2014 9:04 pm

Hi. Sounds like we're both hitting the home stretch! My face has cleared up remarkably and my back is seeing improvements as well. To combat drying I've been using a technique that may not be recommended but has worked wonders for me. After washing my face 2-3 times with Cetaphil to make sure it's good and dirt-free, I use bar soap on my hands to get them completely free of oil. Then (this is the gross part) I exfoliate by rubbing the skins away back and forth, almost as if you were rubbing dead skin layers off after getting a sunburn. I do this all over my face maybe 2-3 times a week, and then use lotion when I get out of the shower, and I'm telling you, my skin has never looked better. It's absolutely radiant and almost "glowing" as some may say. Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the healthiest thing for your skin, but it doesn't seem to be doing me any harm, and I'm sure liking the results. Congrats on your acne clearing up. Cheers.

Austin

MemberMember
(@milesconn)

Posted : 04/27/2014 5:23 am

Hey man good to see its all going well with the treatment. I'm still on 20mg if you can believe it and it cleared me up tremendously! I have had not one pimple over the last month or so and I'm real glad I listened to my derm to keep taking this low dose because I now have clear skin and only dry lips as a side effect. How are you finding the 60mg dosage?

MemberMember
(@vojta3476)

Posted : 04/27/2014 11:16 pm

Hey man good to see its all going well with the treatment. I'm still on 20mg if you can believe it and it cleared me up tremendously! I have had not one pimple over the last month or so and I'm real glad I listened to my derm to keep taking this low dose because I now have clear skin and only dry lips as a side effect. How are you finding the 60mg dosage?

Well I never took anything lower than 40 so I don't have much to compare it to. My eyes have been REALLY sore and dry lately, and my distance vision is getting blurrier. Part of it may just be me getting older and maybe I'll need to wear contacts or glasses at some point down the road, but I'm really hoping it's due to the Accutane and that it'll go away once I'm finished. Oh, and sensitivity to brightness is a big deal too lately. Other than that, not much to complain about. Dryness, I guess. Joint pain from the first few months has subsided and I'm just rolling along, slowly approaching the end of this journey. Pretty exciting to think where we'll be in two short months or so.

Edit: Aaaaand just realized you probably weren't talking to me. Haha. Oh well.

MemberMember
(@milesconn)

Posted : 04/28/2014 8:07 am

Hahah no worries dude its all good. Just check my box and I've only got 41 pills so I'm super pumped it'll be over soon. Just hang in there and I'm sure all the side effect will go away after you've finished your course :)

MemberMember
(@clearsummer)

Posted : 05/26/2014 6:03 am

Day 110-166

So I haven't updated for more than 50 days! Mainly because I haven't had anything to add from my last post. One thing I can say though, is that I have given up the hyper pigmentation treatments for my red marks, as I became anxious that they could cause new breakouts. Anyway, with about 3 weeks to go, I'm starting to worry about what'll happen after the accutane treatment stops - will the oil return?

I have been 98% clear for around a month and a half now, obviously I get the odd spot every week or so, but this is much more bearable!

My main problem still exists though, the red marks, which although decreasing in colour, are taking a very long time to do so.