Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane- Journey To Clear Skin. Edited-Pictures Added.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/14/2013 7:29 pm

Looks like eczema. I have it too. Steroid cream helps and moisturize moisturize moisturize

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/20/2013 3:39 pm

^ Thank you!

Day 59

Soo, day 59! I have my derm appointment tomorrow for my third month of the medication. Am hoping she'll raise my dosage from 40mg to 60mg. Still getting spots on my back, the odd spot here and there on my chest which disappear quickly. On my face, one day it's not too bad in terms of actives, then the next I have a collection of them. Also keep getting under the skin spots. You can vaguely see them on the surface, but when you feel it it's all mainly underneath and painful. Is that a cyst? I have never really looked up the different types. Maybe I should. The spots are leaving behind horrid red marks which are a bugga to cover with my make up at the moment, along with the flaking which you can see in the pictures I've attached.

Side effects. Nothing much to report. The peeling lips and a cracked corner. Both eczema and dermatitis on my arms. A moan of mine though are my heels. Becoming more and more painful to walk around after sitting down, and the area is incredibly tender. With my sporting background, I've been applying what I know to try and sort it, but to no avail.

post-197599-0-98415500-1363811769_thumb.

post-197599-0-58748500-1363811792_thumb.

Why do my pictures come out sideways!?

post-197599-0-98415500-1363811769_thumb.

post-197599-0-58748500-1363811792_thumb.

MemberMember
(@cheezycakes)

Posted : 03/20/2013 6:25 pm

Looks really good! All your current ones are drying up + no new ones I can see. Don't worry about the red marks; it looks like they would fade real fast with your skin type.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/22/2013 9:58 am

Looks really good! All your current ones are drying up + no new ones I can see. Don't worry about the red marks; it looks like they would fade real fast with your skin type.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/31/2013 3:39 pm

Day 70

Whey, it's a great feeling coming back on here and seeing my last photo update and realising there's a difference to how my skin is now.

I had my Derm appointment after I posted my last update, and she upped my dosage to 60mg after taking a look closely at my face and back. She stated she doesn't think I'll need to be on it for longer than six months, and not need to go any higher.

I currently have no actives, just red marks along my jaw line (none going onto my cheeks like in the pictures above). Back is still bad but hope that clears up soon. I just hope I've now turned a corner with this treatment and finally am seeing improvements, and isn't just a good phase and then bam out of nowhere more appear.

Since upping it to 60mg my skin on my face is just peeling as if I've been sunburnt. Today I couldn't put foundation on (just concealer) because of this. My lips just look awful. Through out the treatment so far I've just had one side that's cracked, but the other one has now too. The skin on my lips which is peeling off is peeling all around the outline of my mouth too. I put on Aquaphor religiously, but it's just not cutting it anymore. Anyone got any other recommendations?

Also my arms and hands look a state from the dermatits, and my heels are still pretty painful.

But despite the side effects, it's totally worth it and am just focusing on the long term rather than the short term. rolleyes.gif

MemberMember
(@everythingthatshimmers)

Posted : 03/31/2013 7:05 pm

My dermatologist suggested hydrocortisone ointment but it can only be used once a day or once every other day. There is also Dr. Dan's Cortibalm which has cortisone in it but it hasn't made much difference for me. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/02/2013 2:40 am

My dermatologist suggested hydrocortisone ointment but it can only be used once a day or once every other day. There is also Dr. Dan's Cortibalm which has cortisone in it but it hasn't made much difference for me. Good luck!

Thank you, I'll look into it!

Had to add pictures as chuffed with progress!

post-197599-0-68138900-1364888145_thumb.

post-197599-0-22360700-1364888396_thumb.

MemberMember
(@blabla05)

Posted : 04/02/2013 4:52 am

im so jealous how come your marks faded so quickly

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:39 am

im so jealous how come your marks faded so quickly

To be honest, I have no idea. Especially considering my last pictures were taken 11 days ago and my red marks normally stick around for months. Surely it wouldn't of been the jump from 40mg to 60mg? Though my back is still the same with the red marks. Only different thing I do with my face is use the Cocoa Butter? hhmmm...

MemberMember
(@omgmike4)

Posted : 04/02/2013 7:01 am

Looks good. Improving a lot. I also just switched from 40mg to 60mg. :dD

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 04/02/2013 11:15 am

Wow! Your skin has improved so much! This is also a really great Roaccutane log, please keep up the good work :)

Plus, I'm a fellow Briton so... Hiya! I guess you were prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS? If so, how long did this process take? Thanks :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/02/2013 12:10 pm

Thanks! How have you found the jump from 40mg to 60mg?

Wow! Your skin has improved so much! This is also a really great Roaccutane log, please keep up the good work smile.png

Plus, I'm a fellow Briton so... Hiya! I guess you were prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS? If so, how long did this process take? Thanks smile.png

Hey fellow Briton :) Thanks!

Yes, I was prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS. Trying to think back....my first appointment was just before Christmas. He sent me away with a booklet about it, blood form (which I had to get done at the GP), and told to come back in 4-6 weeks as wanted me to be put on another form of BC, (need to be on that for a month before treatment starts- sorry don't know if you're male or female so that may be irrelevent to you lol. he also prescribed me Epiduo in the mean time). At my next appointment I signed the consent form, and did a pregnancy test and was then prescribed it. I went to Boots pharmacy but they didn't have it, so had to wait a few days. But now have a new derm, and she writes the prescription for the hospital pharmacy so get it on the day which is good :) And if you're female, you'll have appointments once a month. Hope that helps. Are you hoping to be prescribed it?

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 04/02/2013 12:34 pm

>Wow! Your skin has improved so much! This is also a really great Roaccutane log, please keep up the good work smile.png

Plus, I'm a fellow Briton so... Hiya! I guess you were prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS? If so, how long did this process take? Thanks smile.png

Hey fellow Briton smile.png Thanks!

Yes, I was prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS. Trying to think back....my first appointment was just before Christmas. He sent me away with a booklet about it, blood form (which I had to get done at the GP), and told to come back in 4-6 weeks as wanted me to be put on another form of BC, (need to be on that for a month before treatment starts- sorry don't know if you're male or female so that may be irrelevent to you lol. he also prescribed me Epiduo in the mean time). At my next appointment I signed the consent form, and did a pregnancy test and was then prescribed it. I went to Boots pharmacy but they didn't have it, so had to wait a few days. But now have a new derm, and she writes the prescription for the hospital pharmacy so get it on the day which is good smile.png And if you're female, you'll have appointments once a month. Hope that helps. Are you hoping to be prescribed it?

Yes, I'm female but I'm not sure if I'll have to be on BC whilst I'm on it as I'm 14 (almost 15 to be precise!).

It's a bit of a long story but my doctor referred me 2 months ago to a derm to get put on Roacctutane and I've made an appointment but it's not until 2nd May. I'm worried that it will take this long to get all my appointments because in the mean time I continue to get more and more acne and more scarring :(

So did they take blood on your first appointment?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/02/2013 2:19 pm

>Wow! Your skin has improved so much! This is also a really great Roaccutane log, please keep up the good work smile.png

Yes, I was prescribed Roaccutane on the NHS. Trying to think back....my first appointment was just before Christmas. He sent me away with a booklet about it, blood form (which I had to get done at the GP), and told to come back in 4-6 weeks as wanted me to be put on another form of BC, (need to be on that for a month before treatment starts- sorry don't know if you're male or female so that may be irrelevent to you lol. he also prescribed me Epiduo in the mean time). At my next appointment I signed the consent form, and did a pregnancy test and was then prescribed it. I went to Boots pharmacy but they didn't have it, so had to wait a few days. But now have a new derm, and she writes the prescription for the hospital pharmacy so get it on the day which is good smile.png And if you're female, you'll have appointments once a month. Hope that helps. Are you hoping to be prescribed it?

Yes, I'm female but I'm not sure if I'll have to be on BC whilst I'm on it as I'm 14 (almost 15 to be precise!).

It's a bit of a long story but my doctor referred me 2 months ago to a derm to get put on Roacctutane and I've made an appointment but it's not until 2nd May. I'm worried that it will take this long to get all my appointments because in the mean time I continue to get more and more acne and more scarring sad.png

Argh ok, you're only 14. I don't know where you stand with that. Though I've just had a look in the enclosed leaflet, and it states that they have to discuss the risks of pregnancy, and the female patient (or guardian) has to sign a consent form. So with the words guardian, I assume that applies to minors too.

I wouldn't worry about your appointment not being until 2nd May. I had to wait around 8 weeks from my referral from the GP. But once you're in the system, you will get your appointments bang on time. No, I didn't get my bloods taken on the day. He sent me away with the blood form, and told me to go to the GP for it (was done within 5ish days..depends on your surgery). If it doesn't apply to you about BC, he may ask for you to come back in two weeks, as you have to go away and read the leaflet etc (even though we know all about it), and time for bloods to be done and to be received his end, and then you will receive 3 months worth (I think that's what I've read on here. So won't need to be seen until then). If BC does apply to you, it will be appointment in 4-6 weeks time, then prescribed a months worth at a time as you have to have a pregnancy test done at each appointment.

MemberMember

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:06 pm

I wonder if the cocoa butter is helping, also. I've been using shea butter and I notice my hyperpigmentation is fading a lot more quickly than it usually does. I would attribute it to the Accutane but so many others complain about increased red marks because of Accutane....

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 04/03/2013 1:54 am

>364919338">

It's a bit of a long story but my doctor referred me 2 months ago to a derm to get put on Roacctutane and I've made an appointment but it's not until 2nd May. I'm worried that it will take this long to get all my appointments because in the mean time I continue to get more and more acne and more scarring sad.png

Argh ok, you're only 14. I don't know where you stand with that. Though I've just had a look in the enclosed leaflet, and it states that they have to discuss the risks of pregnancy, and the female patient (or guardian) has to sign a consent form. So with the words guardian, I assume that applies to minors too.

I wouldn't worry about your appointment not being until 2nd May. I had to wait around 8 weeks from my referral from the GP. But once you're in the system, you will get your appointments bang on time. No, I didn't get my bloods taken on the day. He sent me away with the blood form, and told me to go to the GP for it (was done within 5ish days..depends on your surgery). If it doesn't apply to you about BC, he may ask for you to come back in two weeks, as you have to go away and read the leaflet etc (even though we know all about it), and time for bloods to be done and to be received his end, and then you will receive 3 months worth (I think that's what I've read on here. So won't need to be seen until then). If BC does apply to you, it will be appointment in 4-6 weeks time, then prescribed a months worth at a time as you have to have a pregnancy test done at each appointment.

ok thank you for your help :)

I'm actually on BC because it was supposed to help my skin so they might just make me continue with that. I actually think I have that booklet you're talking about, it does say that BC may be necessary for even girls who haven't started their period?! It sounds a little crazy... it would seem a bit silly to put me on BC though because there's 0% chance of me being preggo ;)

All the best with the rest of your treatment, I will continue to follow your progress and I hope you had a good Easter :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/03/2013 1:02 pm

Be interesting to see what happens at your appointment and where they stand with females under 16. I wasn't even asked if I was sexually active at my initial appointment.

Thank you :) good luck with your appointment. Not long to wait! Let me know how it goes.

MemberMember
(@d90)

Posted : 04/03/2013 1:08 pm

Does everyone experience hair loss on Roaccutane? And is Roaccutane the UK version of Accutane? Never heard of accutane here in the Kingdom United.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/03/2013 2:31 pm

Does everyone experience hair loss on Roaccutane? And is Roaccutane the UK version of Accutane? Never heard of accutane here in the Kingdom United.

I haven't experienced any hair loss. It's a rare side effect. And yes, Roaccutane is the same as Accutane. Just us Brits call it Roaccutane! (company is Roche).

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/06/2013 8:09 am

Day 76

My skin on my face is improving more and more now and I feel I'm on cloud nine. For the first time in about 3 years I get away with little/no concealer and just foundation. Never ever thought I would get to that point. My chest is currently clear, though have two fairly big red marks that are taking a while to disappear. My back is still bad and having new spots appear, but I'm still confident that will start clearing soon. Prior to treatment, I began getting spots on my lower back, but since being on it I haven't had any more which I'm happy about as that was scarring my lower back as well as my upper back.

I've actually in the past 5ish day been alternating between 40mg to 60mg every night as since upping it to 60mg, as stated on my last entry, my face was peeling and my hands and arms have just been covered in a rash. I use hydro cream for seven days, but after about two days of finishing it, it all comes back. So I bought Palmer's Cocoa Butter lotion for the body yesterday. I figured the butter works for my face, so will try it on the body. I am out this evening and the lights there are very bright, which is the only reason why I've been changing my dosages. After tonight is out the way I'll keep with 60mg. I just want to be able to enjoy myself tonight rather than thinking of my peeling face/lips. Arggghh my lips!! It looks like I have a cold sore down to the peeling/skin breaking onto the skin. I hate hate hate it. But can't have it all, eh?! I went to the pharmacy yesterday asking her to recommend something, so currently plastering Blistex Relief Cream (Amnonia solution) on. Hope it helps and makes my lips look a little better just for tonight. No other side effects, apart from the painful heels which now I seem to have good and bad days which is an improvement.

When I've read people's logs in the past before I started my treatment and they spoke about their side effects, I always wanted to see pictures just so I know what to possibly expect, so that's what I've been doing here, and will continue to for those that are interested.

Plus, I want to add a picture of my face again so you can see the further improvement I've had in 6 days.

post-197599-0-61152200-1365253538_thumb.

My rash:

post-197599-0-35468300-1365253562_thumb.

post-197599-0-72477400-1365253572_thumb.

post-197599-0-61152200-1365253538_thumb.

post-197599-0-35468300-1365253562_thumb.

post-197599-0-72477400-1365253572_thumb.

MemberMember

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:27 pm

I mentioned hydrocortisone previously, I have since started using the ointment on my lips and it has made a HUGE difference. They went from peeling/nearly raw to almost back to normal. I've also been using the ointment on my eczema, it has helped but has not completely made it go away. Your face looks amazing, by the way! =)

MemberMember
(@electricbetty)

Posted : 04/07/2013 7:50 am

Wow your face looks amazing! You must be thrilled surprised.gif

Just a warning if you're thinking of using hydrocortisone cream, remember that this is generally used by people who have eczema which is where the skin cells thicken, and we're taking drugs which thin our skin, which is what the hydrocortisone cream does as well. I spoke to a nurse about this and she said it was completely the wrong thing to do while on Accutane. Because what you have is a form of dermatitis that has a similar appearance to eczema, I'd be really wary of using anything like that on it, it might have bad long-term effects. I was advised to stick to 'barrier' creams that stop the tiny wounds getting infected from further abrasions.

MemberMember

Posted : 04/08/2013 6:38 pm

I have only been using it because it was recommended by my dermatologist. The label says it can be used for dermatitis or eczema but does specifically say not to use it frequently or for an extended period of time.

If anyone has any suggestions of over-the-counter creams that have worked well for them that can be used often, I'd be interested in hearing about them. Would be good to have a back up for when this flares up again. I've still got a long way to go...

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/17/2013 11:11 am

Thanks for the advice above. When I was telling my bf what cream I was using, and why it can only be used for no more than 7 days, I did think in my head "but Roaccutane thins the skin.." so did make me think about it, so funny you should say that EB.

Day 87

My face is still pretty much completely clear. Haven't had any proper spots in weeks, just small pimples here and there. I have a couple of red patches due to my skin peeling, so I am so pleased. I go out the house with no foundation (though that's down to my skin peeling a lot around the chin area, so make up just highlights it). My first thoughts in the morning aren't about my skin and what state it is in. I can't believe it. Never ever thought I would reach a point where I don't panic about having no make up on. Though in the last few days my pores have become large on my cheeks, so I hope I don't regress a bit like I read some do. Had bloods tests yesterday and back to see the Dermatologist on Friday.

I am still getting spots on my back. I'm going away in August with my bf so I just pray it's better by then as I'll be living in my bikini pretty much. Or won't be if I still have it.

Side effects are just the peeling lips, but they aren't so cracked on the skin so no longer looks like a big cold sore....phew! Still suffering with the dermatitis and it's got worse, so I know my Consultant will prescribe me something, as she said to try over the counter things, and if doesn't have any effect she will do so. Plus my heels are still pretty painful. Other than that, that's it!

Will post pictures on Friday of my progress smile.png

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 04/24/2013 10:53 am

Day 94

Nearly into triple figures! My Derm appointment went well. Blood results all okay, except my cholesterol. So my wine drinking hasn't been killing my liver!cheer.gif

Following my last entry I said my lips wern't as bad, the following day they got bad again and it was the first thing she commented on "we have to sort out the corner of your lips, as that's not nice!" Great to know it's easily spotted! I showed her my dermatitis and she prescribed me Hydro cream and said I can use it for more than 7 days (just the company covering their backs), and to apply twice a day onto affected areas, and on to my lips and skin around it up to 4 times a day. Has made such a difference to my lips/skin around it and will stop once I'm satisfied enough and switch back to my other lip treatment stuff. She's a top consultant and I trust her knowledge, plus I discussed it with the pharmacy whilst they were dispensing it.

Side effects. I'm suffering now my body has adjusted to the increased dosage of 60mg. My skin is so, so fragile.The slightest scratch turns into a big scab and I bleed very easily. My hands and arms are covered. It looks awful. Shaving leaves grazes on me (am using shaving foam obviously).

Plus, I bought new shoes the other day. You know how you often get blisters until you wear into them a bit even though they fit fine? Had only been wearing them about a minute and already my heel was bleeding. I now have seven blisters on my feet, one which is covering the whole width of my heel. Wouldn't even call it a blister. It's an open wound which is now infected, along with another on my baby toe which is infected. So I've had to stay in, not because of my skin for once but because I can't walk with my shoes on.

Spots. What spots? My face is still looking so great. On my back I've had a few more appear. Getting frustrated with my back, but can't have it all, eh?!