Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane- Journey To Clear Skin. Edited-Pictures Added.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/14/2013 9:01 am

Hey! Hhmm, yeah, is just the nosebleeds that are troublesome, and as my nose isn't dry/sore, I've been looking into how I would lower lipid levels. Obviously the standard thing is lose weight and eat healthily, but could I do anything about it if it's down to the medication causing the raised levels? I'm a UK size 8 (US 4), eat healthily, exercise?

Pleased to hear you're hardly getting any new spots, that's a start. My skin takes a while to heal on my back. Good you're getting minimal side effects :)

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/14/2013 5:16 pm

Hey! Hhmm, yeah, is just the nosebleeds that are troublesome, and as my nose isn't dry/sore, I've been looking into how I would lower lipid levels. Obviously the standard thing is lose weight and eat healthily, but could I do anything about it if it's down to the medication causing the raised levels? I'm a UK size 8 (US 4), eat healthily, exercise?

Pleased to hear you're hardly getting any new spots, that's a start. My skin takes a while to heal on my back. Good you're getting minimal side effects smile.png

Why do you think the lipid levels would cause nosebleeds? Both my triglyceride & cholesterol levels are high (which I found worrying- I've been a bit of a fitness fanatic since my mid-teens) but the Derm said something about the ratio of the two being important rather than one or the other being high. I didn't really pay much attention to what she was saying though, haha.

Also I'm loving the typical female dodge of posting clothing size rather than weight! :P

Hope you had a good Valentine's day. I went on a mandate. Clearly much better than a normal one. :)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/14/2013 5:56 pm

Because when I told the Derm I don't have a dry nose, she said that lipid levels could be the cause. I didnt question her anymore about it, so don't know the ins and outs. Oh really, that's interesting yours are high despite being a fitness finatic (what do you do?) Love fitness :) was a sprinter for 9 years but had to stop due to ill health :(

Haha, I put my clothes size instead of weight, because I'm tall for a woman (5ft 8") so naturally weigh more than the average sized woman. Perfectly happy with my weight, thank you ;) been informed my BMI is 20.1 lol.

Lol a mandate sounds good! Don't like Valentines Day really.

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:52 am

That's a shame you had to stop. I used to be a propa serious road cyclist, but since going to Uni I've got more into running as cycling just takes up too much time and effort (training rides were often 5-6 hours and exhausting) so I aim for half marathons these days. After watching the Olympics I feel bad about my bike gathering dust in the corner though :(

I think the triglyceride levels & cholesterol is just a genetic thing and quite individual. My diet isn't amazing nor particularly bad so I don't think that really contributes too much.

You realise I could work out your weight from your height and BMI? Fortunately I'm not quite that sad & creepy :) I hate BMI, it says I'm almost overweight!

& I think Valentines day is pretty much universally unpopular on this website haha.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/15/2013 12:05 pm

Ah that's cool, you doing any half marathons this year? I'd love to try training again. Is definitely on the cards, but been told this morning I need to have shoulder surgery...*sob*.

Well phew, I'm pleased you're not that sad & creepy ;) someone will be sad enough to I'm sure now that you've said it lol.

Just on this website?! I think everywhere! Treat each other like that all year round, just not that one day!

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/15/2013 12:21 pm

All the girls say that, but then expect something on Valentines day anyway :)

I wanted to do the Bath half in March but it filled up ridiculously quickly, so not sure. I think there's a 12-miler in Chepstow that's supposed to be really hilly, could be a challenge!

Shoulder surgery sounds pretty serious :( I do find running batters your body a lot more than cycling.

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/18/2013 4:05 am

Day 29

So, it's been a month! Has gone really quickly.

My pores have returned to normal size, and I still don't have any spots on my chest. Can't remember the last time this happened. So pleased. My back is clearing up slowly too.

The skin on my face looks a bit of a state at the moment. I had 6 actives on my forehead (never used to get them on my forehead), but have already gone after a day so left with just red patches. Keep getting pimples appearing around jaw line, up around the cheeks. I know it takes a while to see results, especially on the face, so am not complaining at all.

Side effects- Still dry, chapped lips. Had very small nosebleed since last entry. Experiencing joint pain, & have developed eczema/dermatitis on my arms. Will upload pictures later, if I remember smile.png

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/20/2013 6:00 am

Day 31

I forgot to add pictures of my skin one month in. Have taken pictures this morning so it's more up to date, and there is a difference between day 28 and day 31. Redness & tightness reduced, and my small under the skin pimples have gone.

DAY 28:

post-197599-0-86767100-1361357348_thumb.

DAY 31:

post-197599-0-09428200-1361357418_thumb.

I currently have 3 actives. One on my chin and two on my forehead. Aquaphor is starting to lose its effect on my lips, so need to experiment with other products. Have had nosebleeds the past two days, but only small ones. & this is what I have on both hands and arms:

post-197599-0-44842800-1361357495_thumb.

post-197599-0-29580600-1361357531_thumb.

post-197599-0-60545000-1361357557_thumb.

I don't particularly like writing about the side effects, as don't want it to be perceived as me whinging, as really I'm not wink.png All a very small price to pay, & I'm happy smile.png

post-197599-0-86767100-1361357348_thumb.

post-197599-0-09428200-1361357418_thumb.

post-197599-0-44842800-1361357495_thumb.

post-197599-0-29580600-1361357531_thumb.

post-197599-0-60545000-1361357557_thumb.

MemberMember
(@electricbetty)

Posted : 02/24/2013 2:53 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum as I am currently only on day 6 of my Roaccutane prescription. I found your log because we are the same age, both based in the UK and my acne is very similar to yours! You are a month ahead of me so I am interested to see your side-effects. What are the red lesions on your hands and arms in the above photos, did your Dermatologist say?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/25/2013 3:14 am

Hi, I am new to this forum as I am currently only on day 6 of my Roaccutane prescription. I found your log because we are the same age, both based in the UK and my acne is very similar to yours! You are a month ahead of me so I am interested to see your side-effects. What are the red lesions on your hands and arms in the above photos, did your Dermatologist say?

Hey :) like stumbling across other people from the UK.

My hands/arms have got worse now since the picture. This appeared since my last Derm appointment so haven't spoken to him about it. Looks like eczema/dermatitis which can be a side effect from the drug. I've been using a cream since yesterday (as standard creams like e45 did nothing), and actually looks a lot better this morning. Just make sure you moisturise everywhere early on, as I didn't except the face, so I'm pretty sure that's why I got it.

Good luck to you. Do you suffer with acne just on your face?

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/25/2013 3:55 am

Day 36

Making progress smile.png

post-197599-0-82285200-1361781967_thumb.

post-197599-0-43985300-1361781994_thumb.

I currently have two small actives. I'm really happy. The two actives I spoke about on my forehead (which was actually at the top of my nose), became big, I tried to sort it, made such a mess of my face. Didn't go out the following day as you couldn't not notice it because of it being near the eye area. But normally, a mess like that which I create takes about a week or two to sort itself out, 2 days later it was going fast gasp.gif Happened 3 days ago & you wouldn't know. Thought healing time was meant to be slow?!

Still not a single pimple on my chest! Have a few new clusters on my back.

Side effects, spoke about my hands/arms in the above post ^, nose bleeds are being such a nuisance now. Get about 2-3 a day. And not small ones either. Takes about 10-15 mins for the bleeding to stop. Is that excessive? i have no idea. Still no dryness on face, except flaking when a spot goes (which I sort by gently exfoliating). Seriously, buy Palmer's Cocoa butter smile.png Lips still dry and cracked and is now affecting the skin around the lips. Aquaphor galore today!

post-197599-0-82285200-1361781967_thumb.

post-197599-0-43985300-1361781994_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jdw)

Posted : 02/25/2013 10:25 am

Your face definitely looks alot less red. About a couple of your side effects, I've gotten similar rashes on my hands/arms but as long as I moisturize before bed they go away, I'm using Redwin sorbelene but don't know if that is in the UK. Have you tried vaseline for nose dryness/blood noses yet?

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 02/25/2013 2:08 pm

Lookin' good!

I lost my Aquaphor, but found it wasn't really much better than Vaseline anyway so I'm just back to using that.

The nose bleeds are possibly a bit worrying. Did you mention them last time you saw your Derm? A friend of mine said he suffered pretty badly from nosebleeds when he took Accutane as a teenager, but his blood tests were fine. Just another annoying side effect.

MemberMember
(@electricbetty)

Posted : 02/25/2013 6:02 pm

Hey smile.png like stumbling across other people from the UK.

My hands/arms have got worse now since the picture. This appeared since my last Derm appointment so haven't spoken to him about it. Looks like eczema/dermatitis which can be a side effect from the drug. I've been using a cream since yesterday (as standard creams like e45 did nothing), and actually looks a lot better this morning. Just make sure you moisturise everywhere early on, as I didn't except the face, so I'm pretty sure that's why I got it.

Good luck to you. Do you suffer with acne just on your face?

Ok, hadn't heard of that as a side effect before, will keep moisturising!! We're a very atopic family so have got lots of prescribed ointments for very dry skin in the house, will keep them handy if I have a similar affect.

Thanks, yes just acne on my face, I suppose I'm lucky in that respect. Just finished week 1 and everything is starting to kick in e.g. dryness and MAJOR flushing, I literally had the reddest face for hours earlier it was hilarious!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:58 am

Your face definitely looks alot less red. About a couple of your side effects, I've gotten similar rashes on my hands/arms but as long as I moisturize before bed they go away, I'm using Redwin sorbelene but don't know if that is in the UK. Have you tried vaseline for nose dryness/blood noses yet?

Pharmacist ended up giving me Hydro 1% cream and it is all now disappearing :) yes, have been using Vaseline but isn't helping things. Just have to ride it out.

Lookin' good!

I lost my Aquaphor, but found it wasn't really much better than Vaseline anyway so I'm just back to using that.

The nose bleeds are possibly a bit worrying. Did you mention them last time you saw your Derm? A friend of mine said he suffered pretty badly from nosebleeds when he took Accutane as a teenager, but his blood tests were fine. Just another annoying side effect.

Yeah I did, & that's why she didn't increase my dosage, and spoke about the lipid levels. She said if nosebleeds persist she might have to take me off it!? I get about 2-3 a day still, and find if I'm stressed, that triggers it (how I know it's not down to dryness). So I will just have to keep calm and carry on ;)

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/02/2013 5:05 am

Day 41

My nosebleeds have slowed right down, so I'm happy about that. My hands and arms have been sorted with hydro cream, though is starting to appear again futher up the arm. Still breaking out, & have had 2 small spots appear on chest after having nothing there for a while. My skin feels so smooth everywhere. Seen loads of people stating that in their logs and wondered how/why, now I see smile.png

Now that my nosebleeds aren't happening as much I'm pleased with it all and my minimal side effects smile.png

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/02/2013 7:54 pm

Bit gay you're still breaking out, I've found the breakouts have almost stopped for me now, although my acne is milder.

I haven't had any rashes although I have got a bit more itchy, & where I itch I tend to wear the skin down a bit & go red.

Will all be over soon! :)

MemberMember
(@nomo)

Posted : 03/05/2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for this log....very informative and detailed. Helps my anxiety about the possible side effects. Your skin is looking great! Yay!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/07/2013 9:08 am

Thanks nomo smile.png

Day 46

I haven't had a proper nose bleed in about a week now..woo! My hands and lower arms are still clear from eczema, though developed dermatitis on my upper arms now, and a patch on my tummy. Though I wouldn't say my body feels dry at all. My lips were becoming very sore, so have been applying the Aquaphor 3/4x a day and is helping it so much.

The two spots on my chest have gone, so now am completely clear again, is great smile.png My face looks a state at the moment- have 9 actives sad.png Get working on my face soon please, Roaccutane!!

I had a delivery arrive early yesterday morning, I had no make up on, I looked in the mirror debating whether I could just once answer the door to the man I would never see again. Not.a.chance! So I answered my buzzer phone praying it wouldn't need to be signed "Yes, it does need a signature". Dammit, so now I couldn't pretend I wasn't in so had to think of something fast. What was the first thing that came to mind that gave me a good enough reason to not be able to come down and collect the parcel?

"I can't come down I'm afraid...I'm feeding my baby!" My baby?! I don't even have a fricking baby! It worked though, he said he would sign it for me and leave it outside my front door! So acne has caused me to create an imaginary baby wink.png Hopefully soon enough I'll be able to answer the door make up free, without having to pop out more imaginary babies!

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/07/2013 6:28 pm

I'm feeding my baby? You really are special.

I've had a bit of a breakout along my jaw, but luckily I haven't shaved for a while so I'm sporting a nice bushy beard to hide it all for the moment. I guess you can't use that one though :(

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/07/2013 10:01 pm

My hands are like yours, but very dry

My hands are like yours, but very dry

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/09/2013 8:16 am

I'm feeding my baby? You really are special.

I've had a bit of a breakout along my jaw, but luckily I haven't shaved for a while so I'm sporting a nice bushy beard to hide it all for the moment. I guess you can't use that one though :(

Haha, I know I know!

Mine is around the jaw as well :( yes, I've tried the beard look before & it just didn't suit me, so that's ruled out ;) how you doing with the side effects? Still getting away with the minimum?

MemberMember
(@rorius)

Posted : 03/09/2013 7:51 pm

Yep, still only dry lips. Just lucky I spose!

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/14/2013 7:13 am

Day 53

Still breaking out a lot. My skin has been looking such a state sad.png Even been breaking out on my hair line, and after having none on my chest a few appeared but did quickly disappear. My 2 month appointment is next week, and as I haven't had a nose bleed in weeks (yay!) I'm hoping she'll bump my dose up from 40mg to 60mg now.

Side effects are only extremely dry/cracked lips, and eczema. Also, for a few weeks I've been suffering from inflamed Achilles tendons. If I sit down for a long period and then get up, I struggle to put my feet on the ground properly, and the same first thing in the morning. I had a google, and seems it can happen. Get occasional throbbing in my wrists & back, but nothing major. There's such a hype about the side effects to this drug, I thought it would be worse than it actually is, so I am pleasantly surprised! smile.png

MemberMember
(@nomoredottodot)

Posted : 03/14/2013 3:22 pm

Is this eczema/dermatitis also? It appeared on my wrist a few days ago and I'm not 100% sure. It's all raised bumps (doesn't show up well on here). Looks like a collection of mosquito bites, but it definitely isn't that (not the season for those yet here!)

post-197599-0-56477300-1363292552_thumb.

post-197599-0-56477300-1363292552_thumb.