Notifications
Clear all

Accutane-I Believe In You!

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 02/07/2013 2:31 pm

You are looking great, I'm so happy for you. What a big difference in the before and after pics. Thanks for posting. At what day did you notice the change for the better?

MemberMember
(@myra88)

Posted : 02/07/2013 3:12 pm

Im so happy for you! Accutane is working wonders. Your skin will be clear in no time :)

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/07/2013 3:55 pm

Thank you both! Ever since I took the antibiotics at the beginning of month 2 my skin has been gradually improving. :) that's what really started it.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 02/10/2013 2:26 am

Awesome!

MemberMember
(@brarei200)

Posted : 02/11/2013 12:09 pm

You're finished Accutane now?

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/11/2013 11:48 pm

No, I'm only on day 83 of a 6 month course. :)

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/15/2013 9:29 am

Day 87. :) last night I went to the department store and had them do my foundation for me just to see what it would look like. I realized while wearing it that my scarring is much worse than I thought on my cheeks. I also have a giant zit on my cheek that they couldn't even cover... kind of annoying because I haven't had any big ones in a while. Oh well. Hopefully retin-a will help with the scarring and redness once I'm off of this.

MemberMember
(@lemonworld23)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:49 am

Day 87. smile.png last night I went to the department store and had them do my foundation for me just to see what it would look like. I realized while wearing it that my scarring is much worse than I thought on my cheeks. I also have a giant zit on my cheek that they couldn't even cover... kind of annoying because I haven't had any big ones in a while. Oh well. Hopefully retin-a will help with the scarring and redness once I'm off of this.

Hi there! What an improvement on your skin! Congrats. What type of make-up did they use on you? I've noticed that sometimes my scars look worse with some make-ups than others, especially while on accutane. If I use any powders, it seems to sink into them and make them look horrible! But I've found I just have to use liquid and it looks better, only using powder to set concealer under my eye and on my forehead. I've been using Revlon Colorstay and like it, especially because it seems to match my pale skin.I've been using Revlon Colorstay and like it, especially because it seems to match my pale skin. I also think the redness/hyperpigmentation/discoloration make the scars look worse and that'll go away after the 'tane. It's better than having a face full of acne!!:)

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/15/2013 2:53 pm

Thanks! If I can remember right, they used a pore perfecting cream (they said I have big pores which I never thought I did), a foundation for redness, and then a powder to set it. I don't remember names or anything. I'm planning on going back and getting samples of the ones they used so I can get drugstore version (I just needed help finding my color). I'm actually planning on getting the Revlon Colorstay because I've read it has really good coverage. What do you think? I still have plenty of time to experiment. :)

MemberMember
(@lemonworld23)

Posted : 02/16/2013 9:29 am

Thanks! If I can remember right, they used a pore perfecting cream (they said I have big pores which I never thought I did), a foundation for redness, and then a powder to set it. I don't remember names or anything. I'm planning on going back and getting samples of the ones they used so I can get drugstore version (I just needed help finding my color). I'm actually planning on getting the Revlon Colorstay because I've read it has really good coverage. What do you think? I still have plenty of time to experiment. smile.png

Yeah, that sounds good! The pore perfecting cream might be like a primer, which helps for the makeup to go on easier. Samples would be good and it might be good to use the nice stuff for your senior pics that you're getting done. But for everyday use, something like Revlon Colorstay would be good. Picking colors can be a huge pain! I am always paranoid it'll be too dark because I'm so pale, so I always get the lightest option, but sometimes it just doesn't look good. And with my skin all red/irritated from the tane, it's a huge pain! But you're right, you have time to experiment and you will definitely find something that works for you.

My one suggestion, as a relative newb to this whole makeup thing, is to look into getting a nice brush for applying the foundation. It really makes a big difference! Before my acne got bad, I'd just put it on with my hands, which is fine (if your hands are clean!), but if you're trying to get better coverage, a good brush makes a big difference. I got a sigma f80 brush, but they have similar ones at target or at the dept store you're going to, I'm sure. You just want a flat top brush.

And I'll tell you this with a warning, because you might get addicted, there are a ton of awesome youtube videos about applying makeup with acne and with accutane! I spend wayyy too much time watching these videos, but they're awesome!! Good luck :).

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/16/2013 10:49 am

Thanks again! And I'm going to Target on Tuesday, so I'll see what I can find. Unfortunately I've already stumbled across the youtibe videos. I've seen way too many in the past week. LOL.

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 02/19/2013 12:53 pm

Use coupons from the Sunday paper. They have lots for revlon and loreal. For my daughter, who's been breaking out from birth control hormones we use the loreal bb cream for everyday light coverage and Mac for special occasions. She likes Mac, but I find it makes people break out a lot , so I wouldn't recommend. But as a mother of adult teens I've found out kids will make up their own minds and only listen to you about 10 percent of the time. As for the dept store large pore thing, if they see just a few they will tell you that, after all their job is to sell as many products as they can. So I wouldn't take it to heart. Best of luck and let us know which one you choose. Brushes make a big difference we also use the sigma brush its a good find.

MemberMember
(@lemonworld23)

Posted : 02/21/2013 11:26 am

Thanks again! And I'm going to Target on Tuesday, so I'll see what I can find. Unfortunately I've already stumbled across the youtibe videos. I've seen way too many in the past week. LOL.

Good luck! Keep me updated! It's so annoying to find a good foundation while on accutane. It might look okay from far away, but up close it looks kind of cakey cuz of all the dry skin, no matter how much I moisturize! One thing that I did find helpful was in the shower or while washing your face, use a wash cloth to LIGHTLY rub the areas of your face that get really flakey (not pimples). I used it around my mouth/under my nose and moisturize right after and it definitely helps with the flakiness!

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/26/2013 11:22 am

Day 98!!!! :o So I went to the drugstore and picked up Revlon Colorstay. They even had a $2.50 off coupon. :) I was so nervous to try it for the first time. Haha. I put it on last night and (I think) it was the perfect shade! Thank you internet!! I put it on with a flat top brush from ELF (girl on a budget here), and that worked pretty well. I just dabbed it on, and even though I had moisturized right before, I was looking just the slightest bit flaky. I do have to say it is definitely full coverage. That baby covered EVERYTHING. It also looked a little cakey, so I have a little experimenting to do. :)As for my actual Accutane treatment, I went in last Thursday for my monthly checkup. My cholesterol was high again. :( but I'm still on 40 mg twice a day. Side effects are bearable. I'm really dry now, and the rash on my hand seems to come back whenever it gets really cold. My skin isn't quite clear yet. I'll be fine, and then I'll get a few zits that are mainly on my jaw. I'm really happy with my progress though. Have a wonderful week! And pray for me because I have so much homework this week it's ridiculous.

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/26/2013 6:05 pm

I do have to add that wearing makeup (and hiding the redness) does show that I have some scarring. Bummer.

MemberMember
(@lemonworld23)

Posted : 02/27/2013 10:35 am

Day 98!!!! gasp.gif So I went to the drugstore and picked up Revlon Colorstay. They even had a $2.50 off coupon. smile.png I was so nervous to try it for the first time. Haha. I put it on last night and (I think) it was the perfect shade! Thank you internet!! I put it on with a flat top brush from ELF (girl on a budget here), and that worked pretty well. I just dabbed it on, and even though I had moisturized right before, I was looking just the slightest bit flaky. I do have to say it is definitely full coverage. That baby covered EVERYTHING. It also looked a little cakey, so I have a little experimenting to do. smile.png As for my actual Accutane treatment, I went in last Thursday for my monthly checkup. My cholesterol was high again. sad.png but I'm still on 40 mg twice a day. Side effects are bearable. I'm really dry now, and the rash on my hand seems to come back whenever it gets really cold. My skin isn't quite clear yet. I'll be fine, and then I'll get a few zits that are mainly on my jaw. I'm really happy with my progress though. Have a wonderful week! And pray for me because I have so much homework this week it's ridiculous.

Yay! Glad you found the right shade, which one was it? I use ivory and love it! My skin looks a little cakey sometimes with it on, especially on my "bad" cheek. I "double moisturize," put on cetaphil cream then cerave spf 30 THEN primer, letting each layer (especially the first) dry. One thing I did notice was that spraying some water on the brush is helpful and makes it spread a little bit easier. Oh and I heard the ELF brush is very close to the Sigma F80! I kind of wish I had bought that instead, but oh well. But on the experimenting, I had to do the same thing and eventually got the hang of it! So you'll definitely get there. It's actually kind of fun.

Bummer about your cholesterol :(. I hope it doesn't get any worse! Good luck with your homework! Oh and about the scarring, I have scarring on my cheeks and once the discoloration/hyperpigmentation goes away, it's really not that noticeable, so don't obsess (I know I do that). xoxox

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 02/27/2013 4:27 pm

Thanks :D I got 240 medium beige. I guess I'm pretty dark under the redness. :P I got some aloe vera a couple of days ago to help moisturize. I haven't tried it with the makeup yet, so we'll see, but I think it's helped with the flakiness. And I have a feeling the redness will fade quickly once I'm done with the medicine. Young skin tends to heal pretty quickly, and I think the Accutane makes it looks worse than it is. And as for ELF brushes, they're so cheap but everyone raves about them on youtube so I figured I would try them out. :)

MemberMember
(@missstarz)

Posted : 02/27/2013 7:52 pm

Glad to hear you are making some good progress girl.. When you're done you Tane if you are worried about the scarring if you have an ULTA makeup store near you try either Dermablend or one of the other creams in that section. Dermablend is the best though for covering scars. It can even cover Tattoos.. And it is a cream. Its not cheap but it works awesome. But you WILL need a good makeup remover, you can try something like the Estee Lauder Take It Away I told you about

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 03/04/2013 10:12 am

I've hit the 100s!! It's day 104. And I just had my first nose bleed. It kinda freaked me out. Lol. Other than that, everything is going great. I had a small cluster of zits on my cheek, but they're healing now. My redness is starting to fade a little too. Pictures soon? I am beginning to think my diet is playing a role in my skin. I've been eating soooo much sugar lately (candy, ice cream, cookie dough, cookies, frappuccinos, etc.). I'm going to cut out sweets for the next three weeks (which is when my senior pictures are), and see if my skin clears up. And for the record, I'm not sure why I thought the foundation I got was the right shade. I've decided I need to exchange it for something about two shades lighter. Haha.

MemberMember
(@missstarz)

Posted : 03/08/2013 11:26 am

Sorry you have to exchange it that stinks you should really try the MAC one I use its awesome! It a little pricey but the bottle with last you for so long and the makeup artist will pick you the perfect shade and if you don't like it you can always return it. I use MacthcMaster I'm a shade 2 its really light you can layer it not greasy or heavy feeling and has SPF 15 too.

I love sweets.. I'm going for my 2nd blood work today and they said my first one my cholestrol was a bit high but I didn't fast I didn't realize so maybe thats why.. Oops.. and I'm trying your brand this month Amnesteem..

MemberMember
(@brarei200)

Posted : 03/28/2013 8:34 am

I've hit the 100s!! It's day 104. And I just had my first nose bleed. It kinda freaked me out. Lol. Other than that, everything is going great. I had a small cluster of zits on my cheek, but they're healing now. My redness is starting to fade a little too. Pictures soon? I am beginning to think my diet is playing a role in my skin. I've been eating soooo much sugar lately (candy, ice cream, cookie dough, cookies, frappuccinos, etc.). I'm going to cut out sweets for the next three weeks (which is when my senior pictures are), and see if my skin clears up. And for the record, I'm not sure why I thought the foundation I got was the right shade. I've decided I need to exchange it for something about two shades lighter. Haha.

I've gotten so many nose bleeds while on this medicine that I picked up bandaids for my nose that work greeeeeat!!!!!. I would get them in the most awkward places, work, talking to people. One time I getting in my car to go home after work and my nose started to bleed... I had no napkins so I had to walk all the way back in to get tissues. I had blood all over my face and hands from trying to stop it. You can't just tilt your head back because the blood goes in your mouth!

MemberMember
(@bmariewantsnoacne)

Posted : 03/28/2013 11:17 am

Went in for my month 5 checkup. My cholesterol was still high. They want it to be less than 200, but mine was 209. :( because it was barely over I'm just keeping on with 40 mg twice a day. I'm ready to be done with this. My acne is almost entirely gone! I keep getting some zits on my jawline and in/on my ears. Nothing else, but my derm said we might have to do an extra month if it doesn't clear up soon. She originally said 6 months, so that would make it 7. I don't want to do that, especially because I'm going to be working at a summer camp again, so I'll be outside constantly. Hopefully it will all clear up this month!! Other than that, not much to report. My senior pictures went great though. I can't wait to see the pics. :D

Brarei200, that is a bummer! :( other than that, how is it going?

MemberMember
(@mosey-mom)

Posted : 04/02/2013 6:16 pm

Hi Marie, just stopped by to see how you were doing? sounds like things are going well, except for the cholesterol thing. We are on day 80 or so. Still breaking out and skin looking pretty red. Im trying not to let him lose hope though. :)

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 04/02/2013 7:30 pm

BMarie, so happy to hear your progress. I get those weird pimples behind my ears too and they are annoying as hell! You should definitely post your senior pics! Here's to hoping everything evens out this month

MemberMember
(@redglim)

Posted : 04/02/2013 7:44 pm

gong xi ni :)