Accutane

MemberMember
(@sunnysidhu)

Posted : 10/14/2012 2:40 pm

hey im 14 and i have moderate acne, and my family doctor prescribed me accutane. He told me nothing about moisturizing and i have been on it for 25 days. my pimple have dry skin white/yellowish on them but they have have been decreasing. Is that normal and should i moisturize. OH, and im on 40 mg.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/14/2012 2:58 pm

You should definitely moisturize. What kinda doctor is that? My dermatologist wrote down 2 types of moisturizer before she even wrote my prescription. You should use Aquaphor for your lips about 10-15 times a day and moisturize your face with Cetaphil/Cerave cream. But right now your skin might be too sensitive. I didn't start moisturizing my face until all my scabs fell off around day 17.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/14/2012 3:32 pm

You should definitely moisturize. What kinda doctor is that? My dermatologist wrote down 2 types of moisturizer before she even wrote my prescription. You should use Aquaphor for your lips about 10-15 times a day and moisturize your face with Cetaphil/Cerave cream. But right now your skin might be too sensitive. I didn't start moisturizing my face until all my scabs fell off around day 17.

Though I agree with you on principle, most teenagers (especially males) can't even bear to follow the 3-Step Proactive. The doctor probably just assumed, correctly, that any additional steps would go in one ear and out the other way. And if OP is a guy, it's like pulling teeth to get most guys to put anything on their face. No product feels right, it takes too much time, but I'M A MAN AND MEN DON'T HAVE TO MOISTURIZE, yadda yadda yadda...

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/14/2012 3:55 pm

I don't know what you're talking about. If I am a doctor I need to fully disclose all steps for treatment. It's like telling someone to fast before taking a blood test. It's common sense to buy moisturizer on Accutane.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/14/2012 4:26 pm

I gotta agree, moisturizer and accutane go hand in hand. The doctor or nurse should have told you what moisturizer to use- and they normally give you a mini-sample before you leave. Doctors these days... eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@sunnysidhu)

Posted : 10/15/2012 11:00 pm

Is moisturizing mandatory while on accutane. Does it help the treatment? If you don't use will accutane not work as good? I just asked a pharmacist and he said its helpfull to but you don't have to.

MemberMember
(@betterness24)

Posted : 10/16/2012 10:00 am

Is moisturizing mandatory while on accutane. Does it help the treatment? If you don't use will accutane not work as good? I just asked a pharmacist and he said its helpfull to but you don't have to.

No, Accutane will work just fine without out it.. but you will probably wish a moisturizer was mandatory.

MemberMember
(@bobby-stephenson)

Posted : 10/16/2012 12:36 pm

It's not mandatory but you might get chap cracking lips that might bleed or your skin will get super flaky and people think you're dirty. Also, cuts don't heal as fast on dry skin. I've had two paper cuts for almost a week on my fingers.

MemberMember
(@sunnysidhu)

Posted : 10/17/2012 11:59 pm

Should I start moisturizing now ? My pimple are dryed up and kinda brown and yellow and theres a lot of peeling. Oh and I have moderate acne