Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journey For My Body And Soul

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/11/2012 9:32 am

BodyandSoul:

Do you use any natural makeup of any kind?

Summer

Hi Summer,

I have tried so many different things and while I would prefer to use only mineral powder, I find I need liquid makeup in order to cover my blemishes and help combat oil. I use Bare Minerals (in MATTE - which does not contain bismuth oxychloride. The other formula does). I also really like Everyday Minerals. I hope that once my skin clears and I'm not as oily, I can use just mineral foundation (or nothing!) :)

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/11/2012 10:08 am

On day 3, I developed tiny water blisters on one hand. Today is Day 6 and I now have hive-type breakouts in other areas of my body. My mother had something similar on her hands and it was due to anxiety! I am wondering if it's the same for me or possibly a side effect of accutane. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

~bodyandsoul

MemberMember
(@redhead-rachel)

Posted : 07/11/2012 2:19 pm

I'm not sure what hive breakouts look like, but I've had random rashes ever since starting Accutane. Mine were patches of little red bumps that just itched like crazy. I also had scaly/red bumpy rashes on both of my forearms at the same time. It was weird.

Accutane can cause rashes or patches of eczema. If what you have is caused by Accutane, it might help if you moisturize if you aren't already. I know my rashes were caused by my dry skin. Not sure if that's what you have though...

MemberMember
(@summer5150)

Posted : 07/12/2012 5:57 am

BodyandSoul:

Summer

Hi Summer,

I have tried so many different things and while I would prefer to use only mineral powder, I find I need liquid makeup in order to cover my blemishes and help combat oil. I use Bare Minerals (in MATTE - which does not contain bismuth oxychloride. The other formula does). I also really like Everyday Minerals. I hope that once my skin clears and I'm not as oily, I can use just mineral foundation (or nothing!) smile.png

Thank you! That is what I hope for too. I tried Jane Iredale's liquid mineral foundation but I find I look like an oompa loompa, it appears very cakey and rough. I will check out BM in Matte. I didn't realize they had a liquid version. Cool!

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/12/2012 8:46 am

I'm not sure what hive breakouts look like, but I've had random rashes ever since starting Accutane. Mine were patches of little red bumps that just itched like crazy. I also had scaly/red bumpy rashes on both of my forearms at the same time. It was weird.

Accutane can cause rashes or patches of eczema. If what you have is caused by Accutane, it might help if you moisturize if you aren't already. I know my rashes were caused by my dry skin. Not sure if that's what you have though...

Thanks, Rachel. After calling the derm's office, it sounds like this is all eczema. The stuff on my hand is definitely, but the other rashes on my body probably are too. I'm going to moisturize better and see if it improves. If not, I'll go see the derm next week. I was just so surprised to see this reaction so quickly after starting and before my skin ever felt dry.

BodyandSoul:

Summer

Hi Summer,

I have tried so many different things and while I would prefer to use only mineral powder, I find I need liquid makeup in order to cover my blemishes and help combat oil. I use Bare Minerals (in MATTE - which does not contain bismuth oxychloride. The other formula does). I also really like Everyday Minerals. I hope that once my skin clears and I'm not as oily, I can use just mineral foundation (or nothing!) smile.png

Thank you! That is what I hope for too. I tried Jane Iredale's liquid mineral foundation but I find I look like an oompa loompa, it appears very cakey and rough. I will check out BM in Matte. I didn't realize they had a liquid version. Cool!

Oh, actually, the BM in Matte is a powder. I use it over top of my liquid foundation but I'm hoping at some point I can use only the powder. I tried Jane Iredale powder and found it to be very cakey and the color just looks all wrong on me even though I had someone match me. Have you tried a tinted moisturizer with a mineral powder?

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/12/2012 9:26 am

Day 7

A few things to report as I approach the one week mark!

On Day 3, I developed a rash on one hand that was very tiny little blisters. I thought at first it was poison ivy, but then began to see other itchy spots arise on other areas of my body, though my hand and elbows are the only spot that there are actual raised bumps. Yesterday, a red rash was showing up in more places, with a very large portion of my lower back/hip area and the back upper parts of my legs. My arms are a bit splotchy as well and the same rash that is on my hands is popping up on my elbows. Sometimes it itches and other times it doesn't bother me. After reading about other's side effects on this medicine and talking to the dermatologist this morning on the phone, it seems that this is a very common ezcema reaction to Accutane. Even though my skin doesn't feel very dry yet, the dermatologist believes that intense moisturizing will help. If it gets worse, I can go in and get a steroid cream, though I'd like to avoid that if possible. I was very surprised to see such a quick reaction to this medicine, especially because my skin did not yet feel dry. But this is nothing I can't handle!

This morning was the first morning I woke up and my face did not feel oily! That was a good feeling. My face also seems to feel much smoother and I am still seeing some of the cystic acne along my jawline (which has been there for months!) reducing in size and clearing up. Feeling very positive so far about this working well on my acne.

I'm still working on my skin care routine and I'll be happy once I get settled in to something that works well. I really like using the lanolin on my lips and I really haven't experienced dry lips yet.

My eyes are starting to dry but I hope I can squeeze in a little more time with my contacts! I did receive my Maui Jim prescription sunglasses in the mail, so I'll be all ready to switch over to my glasses when it's time!

I stay EXTREMELY thirsty all the time and I've greatly increased my water intake. My appetite has decreased but that could be due to drinking more water and feeling fuller, although I've heard of this side effect from others too.

Overall, feeling pretty good about it all, especially now that I have a more clear answer about this rash.

One week DOWN! smile.png

~bodyandsoul

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/12/2012 4:11 pm

Wooo Hooo week 1 complete!! Sounds like things are going smooth for you! Congratulations!

MemberMember
(@summer5150)

Posted : 07/12/2012 8:35 pm

Thanks, Rachel. After calling the derm's office, it sounds like this is all eczema. The stuff on my hand is definitely, but the other rashes on my body probably are too. I'm going to moisturize better and see if it improves. If not, I'll go see the derm next week. I was just so surprised to see this reaction so quickly after starting and before my skin ever felt dry.

BodyandSoul:

Summer

Hi Summer,

Oh, actually, the BM in Matte is a powder. I use it over top of my liquid foundation but I'm hoping at some point I can use only the powder. I tried Jane Iredale powder and found it to be very cakey and the color just looks all wrong on me even though I had someone match me. Have you tried a tinted moisturizer with a mineral powder?

ohhhh...That would explain why I haven't found it! haha. I haven't yet found a tinted moisturizer that I am in love with. Do you have a favorite?

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/13/2012 10:27 am

ohhhh...That would explain why I haven't found it! haha. I haven't yet found a tinted moisturizer that I am in love with. Do you have a favorite?

I can't say I have found one I love either. Let me know if you find something and I'll do the same! smile.png

Day 8

I spoke too soon yesterday when I said my lips hadn't started drying out...definitely started feeling/seeing that last night. But the lanolin is really nice.

Face is still much much less oily. So is my hair! Not seeing any flakiness on my face but my scalp is a bit itchy.

My throat is constantly very slightly sore. I think it's just the dryness.

The eczema rashes are much better now that I'm moisturizing frequently. I got this more natural cream at Whole Foods and it's helped more than the hydrocortisone I was using on my hand: Florasone

~bodyandsoul

MemberMember
(@zodistarr)

Posted : 07/13/2012 9:24 pm

i too have decided to do the accutane journey..i am 45 years old and have been suffering from acne for 29 years now..it wasnt always bad, i had some good years, some bad years, but was always manageable..it wasnt till when i was in my early 40s, yes, early 40s that it became a nightmare for me..this is when i developed cystic acne..devastating..i wld have clear times, but every couple of months wld get a huge cyst..and then the beginning of this year, it has basically been nonstop with the cysts..i dont get tons at one time, but as soon as one heals another one comes, i just dont get a break anymore..im always running to the derm for cortisone shots..she offered me accutane about a year ago, and i said no way..never going to do that..well let me say, i cant be anymore excited to start now, im sorry i waited. this past year i have spent so many weekends hiding, crying, my self esteem has suffered, ive changed as a person..and when i say i have tried everything, i have..29 years worth!! so congratulations bodyandsoul, bc like you, i did not make this decision lightly..i was put into the ipledge system today, and if all goes right, i will start august 7th..now that i made the decision and am starting the process...i wish i cld have the pill NOW..lol..gonna be a long month!

My start date is also August 7th!

It's a long wait!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@zodistarr)

Posted : 07/13/2012 9:43 pm

BodyandSoul-

I (like many on here) completely relate to you. It's nice to know there are people out there that understand what it's like to be an adult with cysts and other acne popping up all over the place. I have been dealing with this nonstop for about a year (I always had little, manageable stuff and the occasional cyst- but something in my hormones/oil production has drastically changed in the last year). I cannot wait to start my course on August 7th.

We are also so alike-- I just spent $200 shopping yesterday. I got my regular groceries and then I stocked up on EVERYTHING I can think I'll need once I start. I have started taking individual supplements instead of the multi-vitamin. Here's what I got-

-Vitamine E

-Vitamine C

-Vitamine B12

-Omega 3 Fish Oil

-Glucosamine (joints)

-Calcium (of course!)

Other items I purchased:

-Eurcerin Calming Cream (I've heard you can put this everywhere)

-lip balm with spf

-Aquafor and other lip stuff to put 1 in every room of my house, car, and bags!

-small lotions to put everywhere

-Coconut Oil (great for the hair!)

-Pure Shea Butter

-Hydrocortisone Cream 1%-- I read online that if you get a crack in your lip or on the sides of your lip, you put this on and it heals it overnight. I read this is the same active ingredient as in the other "fancy" cracked lip creams.

Hope your skin keeps getting better from here! Can't wait to keep up with your progress :)

MemberMember
(@shadylee)

Posted : 07/14/2012 12:21 pm

BodyandSoul-

I (like many on here) completely relate to you. It's nice to know there are people out there that understand what it's like to be an adult with cysts and other acne popping up all over the place. I have been dealing with this nonstop for about a year (I always had little, manageable stuff and the occasional cyst- but something in my hormones/oil production has drastically changed in the last year). I cannot wait to start my course on August 7th.

We are also so alike-- I just spent $200 shopping yesterday. I got my regular groceries and then I stocked up on EVERYTHING I can think I'll need once I start. I have started taking individual supplements instead of the multi-vitamin. Here's what I got-

-Vitamine E

-Vitamine C

-Vitamine B12

-Omega 3 Fish Oil

-Glucosamine (joints)

-Calcium (of course!)

Other items I purchased:

-lip balm with spf

-Pure Shea Butter

-Hydrocortisone Cream 1%-- I read online that if you get a crack in your lip or on the sides of your lip, you put this on and it heals it overnight. I read this is the same active ingredient as in the other "fancy" cracked lip creams.

Hope your skin keeps getting better from here! Can't wait to keep up with your progress smile.png

hi zodi..its cool we have the same start date..this wait is excruciating lol! i am going to go out and stock up too, i want to be prepared! i"ve been writing down all the stuff i want to get, recomendations people have made...i just cant wait to get started!

MemberMember
(@summer5150)

Posted : 07/14/2012 12:32 pm

I can't say I have found one I love either. Let me know if you find something and I'll do the same! smile.png

Will do!!

Day 8

I spoke too soon yesterday when I said my lips hadn't started drying out...definitely started feeling/seeing that last night. But the lanolin is really nice.

Face is still much much less oily. So is my hair! Not seeing any flakiness on my face but my scalp is a bit itchy.

My throat is constantly very slightly sore. I think it's just the dryness.

The eczema rashes are much better now that I'm moisturizing frequently. I got this more natural cream at Whole Foods and it's helped more than the hydrocortisone I was using on my hand: Florasone

Yay! Sounds so good!! Increasing water could help with the throat. It did me. I feel like I could float away I am drinking so much water.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/15/2012 2:26 pm

BodyandSoul-

-Vitamine E

-Vitamine C

-Vitamine B12

-Omega 3 Fish Oil

-Glucosamine (joints)

-Calcium (of course!)

Other items I purchased:

-lip balm with spf

-Pure Shea Butter

Hope your skin keeps getting better from here! Can't wait to keep up with your progress smile.png

Zodi,

This all sounds great! Glad you are getting stocked up before Aug 7! I need to find something for my hair and scalp! Maybe I will try the coconut oil. My scalp has gotten very flaky!! sad.png

hi zodi..its cool we have the same start date..this wait is excruciating lol! i am going to go out and stock up too, i want to be prepared! i"ve been writing down all the stuff i want to get, recomendations people have made...i just cant wait to get started!

Shady, I can't wait for you to get started too! smile.png

Yay! Sounds so good!! Increasing water could help with the throat. It did me. I feel like I could float away I am drinking so much water.

Agreed - more water does seem to help! I too feel like I'm constantly full of H20!

My scalp is a flaky and itchy! booooo. I probably need to back off washing my hair to every other day but conditioning every day and finding some kind of deep moisturizer/conditioner for once or twice a week. Any suggestions for hair care from any of you ladies?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/15/2012 3:55 pm

My scalp is a flaky and itchy! booooo. I probably need to back off washing my hair to every other day but conditioning every day and finding some kind of deep moisturizer/conditioner for once or twice a week. Any suggestions for hair care from any of you ladies?

A lot of people have the flaky and itchiness going on too! From all the ladies and gent I talk to on here are either using head and shoulders ( I hear that the one with eucalyptus smells really good) or Neutrogena T-gel. It seems to take care of the problem. I have been able to avoid flakes and itchiness lucky me! I have been able to do that by like you said backing off washing my hair. Before Accutane I needed to wash my hair daily because it was so oily by the end of each day. Since I have stopped producing so much oil I can go seriously 3 days with my hair looking great. I can go longer if I wanted too. I also do a deep conditioning once a week. Which I think is helpful.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/16/2012 9:23 am

A lot of people have the flaky and itchiness going on too! From all the ladies and gent I talk to on here are either using head and shoulders ( I hear that the one with eucalyptus smells really good) or Neutrogena T-gel. It seems to take care of the problem. I have been able to avoid flakes and itchiness lucky me! I have been able to do that by like you said backing off washing my hair. Before Accutane I needed to wash my hair daily because it was so oily by the end of each day. Since I have stopped producing so much oil I can go seriously 3 days with my hair looking great. I can go longer if I wanted too. I also do a deep conditioning once a week. Which I think is helpful.

Thank you. Last night, I purchased a shea butter hair creme treatment by Nubian Naturals. I can't find a link to it but it has shea butter, olive oil, and several other oils. I used it last night with some jojoba oil on my scalp and hair and left it on for a couple of hours. It did seem to help and today my scalp doesn't feel as itchy.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/16/2012 9:42 am

Here's the link to the hair treatment! Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/16/2012 2:07 pm

That looks like it has some great stuff in there! I hope it continues to work for you!

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/16/2012 2:23 pm

That looks like it has some great stuff in there! I hope it continues to work for you!

Yes, but look what I saw in Target earlier today! Shea Moisture Purification Masque... for "dry, itchy scalp" ! Wish I had seen that before, but I'll use up what I purchased and try that next time. I'm sure I'll need it!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/16/2012 2:33 pm

Black soap is supposed to be really good stuff. I have never used it, I would like to though. At this point adding or taking away anything from my routine is so scary though. Lots of people say the African black soap helps with the red marks if you cleanse with it.

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:25 pm

Black soap is supposed to be really good stuff. I have never used it, I would like to though. At this point adding or taking away anything from my routine is so scary though. Lots of people say the African black soap helps with the red marks if you cleanse with it.

It is so hard to see all of these "latest and greatest" products in the store and not want to try Everything, isn't it??? So much good stuff out there but I'm all for sticking with something when I find it works!

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:51 pm

Day 11

It's amazing how big of a difference one day can make on this medicine. Side effects can pop or or change in no time!

My scalp has become dry, itchy and flaky! Last night, I purchased Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque and left it in for a couple of hours. Felt great and it does seem to have helped as I'm not as itchy/flaky today. Finding the right stuff to combat this side effect may be trial and error. It may need to be a combo of less hair washing, more moisturizing conditioners, deep conditioners a couple of times/week, anti-dandruff shampoo. Earlier today at Target, I saw THIS: Shea Moisture Purification Masque (African Black Soap and specific for dry itchy scalp!) and I sort of wish I had seen it first, but I'll try it after I finish up what I bought.

My whole body feels itchy but moisturizing is helping keep the eczema rashes at bay. Trying to make it a relaxing ritual twice a day so it doesn't start feeling like a pain to do...

Lips are peeling some but are not uncomfortable at this point. And still able to wear my contacts!

I saw some more healing of the cystic jawline acne overnight! Still breaking out but those breakouts seem to heal more quickly and aren't as painful as normal.

Still feeling good about the overall success thus far :)

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/16/2012 3:53 pm

It is so hard to see all of these "latest and greatest" products in the store and not want to try Everything, isn't it??? So much good stuff out there but I'm all for sticking with something when I find it works!

Yeah it is hard not to want everything. I think I spent like 100 bucks each month my first 2 months until I found the right products for me. Body creams, SPF and face creams and cleaners all at 15 -20 bucks a pop plus all the lip junk and supplements really add up quickly. Im just so scared if I add anything in I will break out all over again.

MemberMember
(@savannahjonaccutane)

Posted : 07/17/2012 12:30 pm

IM ROOTIN FOR YA! ACNE NEEDDS TO DIEEEEEEEEEE HAHA >:(

MemberMember
(@bodyandsoul)

Posted : 07/19/2012 9:02 am

Day 14

Two weeks! Wow, time seems to be flying, but I have a looong way to go.

My biggest side effect right now is my itchy scalp. I've used that shea butter masque a couple of times and it does help but only for about a day. I'll be making (another) trip to Whole Foods this evening to look for a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Would prefer not to use a medicated dandruff shampoo if I can help it. I'm hoping intense moisturizing will take care of this if I can find some good products.

My body is itchy too, although no more rashes. I purchased this Aveeno Bath Treatment and that really helped relieve and calm my skin.

I've had some spells of being very fatigued but it doesn't last all that long. My thirst is never quenched and I'm loooving this new Hydroflask insulated 40oz water bottle...one of the best investments I've made for this journey!

The lanolin is really doing the trick on my lips so far. They are dry but manageable.

My face is drying out and some of the bumps are flaky, but my moisturizers seem to be doing their job because there's no extreme dryness yet. On Day 12 my face looked red and rough and even more bumpy but the very next day it was looking better again. Overall, it's improved and healing and my new breakouts are decreasing in frequency.

I've been slacking on my healthy eating and I need to re-motivate myself. I have to remind myself that a healthy diet is a part of this healing process, just like taking the pills.