Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Journey: Round Two!

MemberMember
(@betty-lee)

Posted : 04/14/2012 11:32 pm

Day 18

I know I just posted yesterday, but I'm having a rough day with my face.

What's still lingering on my face from my IB is still VERY inflamed. My mom told me "It looks bad today. Your face looks inflamed." I also woke up with brand new pimples, a few on my cheeks and my forehead. They're very inflamed and they're sore.

I don't know when to expect the breakouts to stop, and for things to start really clearing. I know, it's only been 18 days & I have a while to go with my course of treatment...but I'm feeling discouraged. It's hard to expect clear skin when your skin is looking so bad.

I'm going to keep hoping for the best.

Yeah, I'm starting to have a hard time too. I've been getting new zits on my neck! Ones that seem like they're gonna want to stick around for a while. And they're hard to cover up because I can't even see them properly. 🙁

I'm 24 years old! I am so OVER this! Aargh, sorry for the rant. I too am having a bad day. I know that it is going to work, but it is so hard to wait!

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/15/2012 2:53 pm

accutane will clear you up! dont lose hope! i bought my first box of accutane yesterday. havent taken it.. dunno i juts dont have the guts!!!

Thanks, I know it's a waiting game - but it's so hard to be patient! It's almost as if I want to fast forward these next 4 months to see if works this time.

Day 18

I know I just posted yesterday, but I'm having a rough day with my face.

What's still lingering on my face from my IB is still VERY inflamed. My mom told me "It looks bad today. Your face looks inflamed." I also woke up with brand new pimples, a few on my cheeks and my forehead. They're very inflamed and they're sore.

I don't know when to expect the breakouts to stop, and for things to start really clearing. I know, it's only been 18 days & I have a while to go with my course of treatment...but I'm feeling discouraged. It's hard to expect clear skin when your skin is looking so bad.

I'm going to keep hoping for the best.

Yeah, I'm starting to have a hard time too. I've been getting new zits on my neck! Ones that seem like they're gonna want to stick around for a while. And they're hard to cover up because I can't even see them properly. sad.png

I'm 24 years old! I am so OVER this! Aargh, sorry for the rant. I too am having a bad day. I know that it is going to work, but it is so hard to wait!

Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time with your face right now too. 🙁

Even after I caked on my makeup last night the pimples on my chin looked hideous. Luckily I have friends that I am comfortable around. But I can only imagine how I'd feel if I had a guy that I liked... I would be so humiliated.

I always thought my acne would be gone in my twenties. Right now it's safe to say that it looks just as bad as it did when I was 17.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/15/2012 3:09 pm

I feel the same way you do Kaydon! I just started month 2 on Thursday and I am breaking out worse now that I was before Accutane. My jawline looks like a war zone. Its really getting me down. Plus I have a zit on my scalp that is so big it hurts to sit back and rest my head anywhere. Right now I am sitting here with a ice pack on it. I have a headache from how tight it is pulling my scalp. Ugh. When will this end. The funny thing I have never had a zit on my jaw line ever and now I have 4 on my right side and 3 5 on my left side. I just wish I was seeing results quicker. Im so ready to have a normal face that doesn't hurt. I am 25 so I know how you feel. WHEN DOES THIS END!

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/16/2012 7:14 am

I feel the same way you do Kaydon! I just started month 2 on Thursday and I am breaking out worse now that I was before Accutane. My jawline looks like a war zone. Its really getting me down. Plus I have a zit on my scalp that is so big it hurts to sit back and rest my head anywhere. Right now I am sitting here with a ice pack on it. I have a headache from how tight it is pulling my scalp. Ugh. When will this end. The funny thing I have never had a zit on my jaw line ever and now I have 4 on my right side and 3 5 on my left side. I just wish I was seeing results quicker. Im so ready to have a normal face that doesn't hurt. I am 25 so I know how you feel. WHEN DOES THIS END!

Waiting for your skin to improve is by far one of the hardest things to do. It's almost as if time goes by that much slower, just because you want to see an improvement. I've heard that most people see most of their improvement by month three - we're getting close to that! I'm on week 3 and I feel like the breakouts are never going to stop.

It's funny that you said you're breaking out on your jawline - because I am too. & I usually don't breakout there, either. I think I see a pimple forming on my lip & I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get bigger because that is the WORST place to have a pimple!

Stay patient - hopefully in a few months things will start looking up for both us!! 🙂

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/16/2012 7:46 am

Waiting for your skin to improve is by far one of the hardest things to do. It's almost as if time goes by that much slower, just because you want to see an improvement. I've heard that most people see most of their improvement by month three - we're getting close to that! I'm on week 3 and I feel like the breakouts are never going to stop.

It's funny that you said you're breaking out on your jawline - because I am too. & I usually don't breakout there, either. I think I see a pimple forming on my lip & I'm crossing my fingers that it doesn't get bigger because that is the WORST place to have a pimple!

Stay patient - hopefully in a few months things will start looking up for both us!! smile.png

Oh my god I woke up with one on the left side of my upper lip! They are the worst!

MemberMember
(@betty-lee)

Posted : 04/16/2012 8:56 am

Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time with your face right now too. sad.png

Even after I caked on my makeup last night the pimples on my chin looked hideous. Luckily I have friends that I am comfortable around. But I can only imagine how I'd feel if I had a guy that I liked... I would be so humiliated.

I always thought my acne would be gone in my twenties. Right now it's safe to say that it looks just as bad as it did when I was 17.

Mine is definitely worse! It only started getting bad when I was about 20. I'm lucky to have met my boyfriend before then. He's stuck with me now. 🙂

Lip pimples SUCK!! They really hurt and they look like herpes. I'm also getting them now and I didn't before. And my jawline is also disgusting. It is a non-stop zit parade. Ugh, this has been an unpleasant week! On the upside, I feel like the first month went by really fast. 1/4 to 1/6 of the way done, WHOOHOO!! We're getting there, ladies.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/16/2012 11:01 am

Sorry to hear you're going through a bad time with your face right now too. sad.png

Mine is definitely worse! It only started getting bad when I was about 20. I'm lucky to have met my boyfriend before then. He's stuck with me now. smile.png

Lip pimples SUCK!! They really hurt and they look like herpes. I'm also getting them now and I didn't before. And my jawline is also disgusting. It is a non-stop zit parade. Ugh, this has been an unpleasant week! On the upside, I feel like the first month went by really fast. 1/4 to 1/6 of the way done, WHOOHOO!! We're getting there, ladies.

We are getting there. Can't come soon enough. I am so ready to be off this medication and I am only in my 2nd month! I got put on a antibiotic this morning because I have a swollen lymph node in my neck due to my acne breakout on my jaw and mostly directed to a infected zit on my scalp. Sexy eh? The doctor says it should calm down the jaw line and take away the pain swollen node in my neck.

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/16/2012 11:06 am

Mine is definitely worse! It only started getting bad when I was about 20. I'm lucky to have met my boyfriend before then. He's stuck with me now. smile.png

We are getting there. Can't come soon enough. I am so ready to be off this medication and I am only in my 2nd month! I got put on a antibiotic this morning because I have a swollen lymph node in my neck due to my acne breakout on my jaw and mostly directed to a infected zit on my scalp. Sexy eh? The doctor says it should calm down the jaw line and take away the pain swollen node in my neck.

Hopefully by August (that will be my last month) we'll all be acne-free and happily off of Accutane! 😉

This is definitely a battle against acne. Right now the acne may be winning, but it's good to know that things should get better.

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/16/2012 10:00 pm

Day Twenty

Well...I took some pictures of my face tonight. I'm not expecting things to improve for a while now.

Maybe if I expect the worst, I'll have a pleasant surprise when things start to improve? ;)

DSCN2179.jpg?t=1334631279DSCN2185.jpg?t=1334631241

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 04/18/2012 6:23 pm

I'm so confused.. I posted on your log about how pretty you are and your features, and suddenly a ton of my posts are gone? Did the site go down for a bit or am I going crazy ;(

MemberMember
(@sun4dyahoo-com)

Posted : 04/18/2012 6:52 pm

I'm so confused.. I posted on your log about how pretty you are and your features, and suddenly a ton of my posts are gone? Did the site go down for a bit or am I going crazy ;(

Yeah the site actually got hacked, so they had to reset everything on here. Mostly just stuff from today only. So that's why anything you did earlier today got deleted. You're not going crazy 😉

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/18/2012 8:49 pm

Aw Taylor - I got your post from earlier! It was e-mailed to me. You're a sweetheart. 🙂

I have no idea what happened to the site, I tried logging on around 6pm & it apparently was down. Stupid that it deleted posts from earlier!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/18/2012 10:49 pm

Kaydon, Looking good chicka! Hopeful we can get out the weeds soon. Month 3 is sounding pretty good to me if that is really the magical month. Our breakout are in the same place crazy. I have a lot of red marks to fade away which sucks. My back and chest are completely clear now though. They were kind of the least of my concern though. I would have liked the face to clear first. But I can say its amazing to feel my chest smooth :D

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 04/18/2012 11:20 pm

Aw Taylor - I got your post from earlier! It was e-mailed to me. You're a sweetheart. smile.png

I have no idea what happened to the site, I tried logging on around 6pm & it apparently was down. Stupid that it deleted posts from earlier!

Aw thank you, and I guess it got hacked! It is very stupid ;( I hope your day has gone well! Update me tomorrow and let me know, I'm not sure if you're sleeping right now :P.

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/19/2012 8:18 am

Aw Taylor - I got your post from earlier! It was e-mailed to me. You're a sweetheart. smile.png

Aw thank you, and I guess it got hacked! It is very stupid ;( I hope your day has gone well! Update me tomorrow and let me know, I'm not sure if you're sleeping right now tongue.png.

Crazy that someone would want to hack this website! Why would anyone do that? Haha.

I'm glad they fixed it though, even if it deleted all of those posts from yesterday! Damn hackers. saywhat.gif

Day 23

This past week has been frustrating as hell. I'm still experiencing new zits sprouting on my face like blooming flowers on a spring day. I got excited after what I thought was my IB was done. It's still in full swing. The patch of pimples on the right side of my chin still look pretty nasty. I can tell they're healing today though. (Slowly, but it's still something.)

The breakout from two weeks ago is really starting to look better. When you look at your face constantly, you're going to notice every single change when you look in the mirror. I can't help it. I'm always looking in the mirror - when I go to the bathroom at work, at school, at home. It's unavoidable. I want to see "the dramatic change"! crazy.gif

Some days I feel completely discouraged, but today I actually have a good feeling that in a few months things will be better. I wish that I would've logged my last experience with Accutane, but I didn't. I remember breaking out, and then I remember by month 3 I felt amazing. I've got to stop friggin' picking though...

I counted (I know, I'm a little bit crazy) about 20 active pimples on my face as of today. Mainly on my chin, jawline, my lower cheeks and forhead...and a couple underneath my nose and above my lip.

SO - I had my monthly dermatologist appointment yesterday. She looked at me and asked me if I was experiencing any new pimples and I felt like saying "Uh, LOOK at my face!" I had makeup on, but even with makeup it looks crazy. You can still see all the lovely inflamed lumps. The weird thing about this dermatologist is that she doesn't really tell me how things are - she kind of asks me. She didn't make any evaluation of my face, or any comment. I told her I had a picture of it because it looks worse without makeup, but she didn't ask to see it. She proceeded to tell me that the first month is bad because the 'Tane gets "all the stuff that was supposed to come out, out." She then told me that a lot of people see results in the second month and that if I'm not getting better by my next appointment in one month, we'd then discuss upping my dosage.

Now, onto the side effects:

• The eczema on my hands has cleared up, which I'm happy about. I told my derm and she gave me a script for something that I'll fill if it comes back.
  • Dry, flaky skin by the end of the day. I also woke up with dried blood on the side of my nose. I have no idea what happened while I was sleeping, I must've scratched my face in my sleep?! That was a pain in the ass to cover up this morning. I hope it heals quickly.
  • Chapped lips are manageable if I apply something every 10 minutes. Literally. I got my Clinique Superbalm in the mail yesterday & I'm loving it. It's not slippery like Aquaphor or Burt's Bees and it keeps my lips moisturized much longer. With Aquaphor, I was applying it all. the. time.
  • This might just be me - but I'm not on birth control, and I just got my period. I usually have cramps that cripple me and make me want to curl up in a ball & not move for hours. But not today, I have slight cramps that I barely notice. Don't know if this has anything to do with 'Tane, but I'm not complaining!

So that's pretty much it for now! I have my bloodwork done Saturday and month two (eek, I'm almost there!) begins next Saturday!

hifive.gif

OH! I almost forgot to add this. My last essay for my writing class in college right now is going to be on something that is displayed in pop culture - the media. It's going to be a compare/contrast paper. Like, how does media portray something and how is it in reality? I'm probably going to do my paper on the way media portrays acne & curing it, and the harsh reality of this disease. I really like this topic.

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/20/2012 11:12 am

Day 24

Here I am again. I know I just posted yesterday but I realized after looking through pre-Accutane pictures that my acne was BETTER prior to starting Accutane. Im having one of those days where I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel & my mom is sick of hearing me complain about my face. Im paranoid that I wont get the results that I want. My face actually hurts today. Its a combination of itchy & throbbing. My zits are pretty much causing my face to hurt. I have a brand new cystic looking pimple to go along with whats already on my face.

Im probably not going to update my log again until I have something positive to say...

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/20/2012 12:15 pm

I know what you mean Kaydon. I am having the same issues as you. I swear nothing is happening with my face. My back and chest are crystal clear but my face seems to be taking a beating. My mom is sick of hearing my complain too. I must mention how pissed I am nothing is happening like 5 times a day. Or pointing out that I have a new zit or something. She is sick of me just plain ol sighing because she knows it involves my face. haha

I am into month 2 and nothing is going on. Month 3 better be as great as everyone else is saying it will be. Good luck

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/20/2012 12:36 pm

I know what you mean Kaydon. I am having the same issues as you. I swear nothing is happening with my face. My back and chest are crystal clear but my face seems to be taking a beating. My mom is sick of hearing my complain too. I must mention how pissed I am nothing is happening like 5 times a day. Or pointing out that I have a new zit or something. She is sick of me just plain ol sighing because she knows it involves my face. haha

I am into month 2 and nothing is going on. Month 3 better be as great as everyone else is saying it will be. Good luck

This is driving me insane, even though I try to stay positive. I tell myself it's going to get better. I look at people's successful experiences on here. But I'm feeling so down about my appearance. I knew it would get worse - but I didn't expect it to get this bad & I thought my IB would only last a few weeks. I'm sorry you're still going through a rough time in month two. 🙁 But you're right - month 3 better be the "miracle month" as opposed to month one being the "disaster month".

MemberMember
(@betty-lee)

Posted : 04/20/2012 7:44 pm

Day 24

Here I am again. I know I just posted yesterday but I realized after looking through pre-Accutane pictures that my acne was BETTER prior to starting Accutane. Im having one of those days where I cant see the light at the end of the tunnel & my mom is sick of hearing me complain about my face. Im paranoid that I wont get the results that I want. My face actually hurts today. Its a combination of itchy & throbbing. My zits are pretty much causing my face to hurt. I have a brand new cystic looking pimple to go along with whats already on my face.

Im probably not going to update my log again until I have something positive to say...

I'm sorry that you're so miserable! You should be looking at your last post-accutane face to see the light at the end of the tunnel! And btw, you are gorgeous! You have such unusual features. I was joking when I said the thing about Vogue by the fall, but now that I've seen those pictures, well...hey there pretty lady! Also - You shouldn't not update until you have something positive to say. That's what we're here for - to listen to each other bitch because all of our loved ones are sick of hearing about it!

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/20/2012 8:33 pm

Day 24

Here I am again. I know I just posted yesterday but I realized after looking through pre-Accutane pictures that my acne was BETTER prior to starting Accutane. I™m having one of those days where I can™t see the light at the end of the tunnel & my mom is sick of hearing me complain about my face. I™m paranoid that I won™t get the results that I want. My face actually hurts today. It™s a combination of itchy & throbbing. My zits are pretty much causing my face to hurt. I have a brand new cystic looking pimple to go along with what™s already on my face.

I™m probably not going to update my log again until I have something positive to say...

I'm sorry that you're so miserable! You should be looking at your last post-accutane face to see the light at the end of the tunnel! And btw, you are gorgeous! You have such unusual features. I was joking when I said the thing about Vogue by the fall, but now that I've seen those pictures, well...hey there pretty lady! Also - You shouldn't not update until you have something positive to say. That's what we're here for - to listen to each other bitch because all of our loved ones are sick of hearing about it!

Thanks for this reply & for your positive words, it means a lot. smile.png I was actually just looking at a picture of me without makeup post-Accutane. That was the first time I would leave the house without makeup. I am willing to go through hell if it means that I can have that again! And aw - thank you for the awesome compliment!

But you know what - you're right. I'll definitely update sometime soon, even if it isn't something positive. I'm just being so impatient & letting it get to my head. I swear my last round of Accutane cleared me up & didn't make me break out like this. I wasn't expecting a massive breakout, but like I said. It's worth it if clear skin is at the end of all of this. And you know what...no one understands what we're really going through, it's great to have this log & each other for support through treatment!

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 04/20/2012 11:59 pm

This may sound weird, but maybe it's a good thing your breaking out like this.. maybe when you took accutane the first time it didn't get everything out that it was supposed to and this course is making sure every little thing is out of your skin. And I agree with Betty Lee, don't not update us, we all are going to bitch about this, because it's an extremely harsh thing to put our bodies through, and we deserve to bitch! You deserve to. So do it, and we will listen, we're all here for you :) Try to not focus on your face til like, month 5 and then take a good, hard, look in the mirror and I bet you will smile at what you see. The first three months, and even people experience it in the forth month, can be hell, but it wil turn around for you. I hope you had a great day!

MemberMember
(@ghillieman24)

Posted : 04/21/2012 4:15 am

I broke out with cysts everyday for 3 months straight. i had a 3 month IB. my ib was so bad in the first month i had to go on prednisone for over a month and when i got off it it returned.....dont worry about your little IB :)

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/21/2012 3:45 pm

This may sound weird, but maybe it's a good thing your breaking out like this.. maybe when you took accutane the first time it didn't get everything out that it was supposed to and this course is making sure every little thing is out of your skin. And I agree with Betty Lee, don't not update us, we all are going to bitch about this, because it's an extremely harsh thing to put our bodies through, and we deserve to bitch! You deserve to. So do it, and we will listen, we're all here for you smile.png Try to not focus on your face til like, month 5 and then take a good, hard, look in the mirror and I bet you will smile at what you see. The first three months, and even people experience it in the forth month, can be hell, but it wil turn around for you. I hope you had a great day!

Thank you Taylor! You're so right. I'd much rather have a nasty first couple of months if it means at the end of treatment I'll have clear skin. And it's so weird that things were bad yesterday - because I woke up this morning and I already see a change. It's crazy, but all of the zits are drying out and getting smaller it seems. They aren't half as inflamed as they were, and my face doesn't hurt today. Always a good sign! And I will definitely continue to update, I was just feeling very bitter! I keep going through awful days, then good days with my face. It's all worth it though. I just had my blood test today and I'm coming up to month two in one week! This is flying by already! Thanks again, I hope you have a great day as well! 🙂

I broke out with cysts everyday for 3 months straight. i had a 3 month IB. my ib was so bad in the first month i had to go on prednisone for over a month and when i got off it it returned.....dont worry about your little IB smile.png

Wow - that must have been rough. But it gives me hope that my skin will turn around after all of the frustration that my IB has given me. Thanks. 🙂

MemberMember
(@supernatualfanatic)

Posted : 04/21/2012 4:16 pm

Yay! It's a good sign! Your skin is going to get better from here! Enjoy the day while your in a great mood! I am experiencing dry lips right now WOOHOO! Nothing else yet!

MemberMember
(@kaydon)

Posted : 04/22/2012 3:51 pm

Day 26

Seeing some improvement from Friday - day 24, & I'm very happy about that!! The redness has kind of went away, too, which is awesome. Still have a ways to go from here.

Untitled-1.jpg

So I had a few drinks last night, not even enough to get me drunk - just a little tipsy. I woke up this morning and felt like crap. I ended up throwing up.

I don't know if 'Tane intensifies hangovers or whatever...but that wasn't pleasant. And my birthday is coming up in two months - how am I supposed to not get drunk? That's the least of my worries though, I'm not a big drinker, but I am a social drinker.

I'm hoping things continue to get better. And hopefully all of you are having progress as well!