Notifications
Clear all

Wedding Day Count Down - Accutane Do Your Stuff!

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 11/15/2010 10:22 am

25 ... Almost 26 Weeks After Accutane! :)

My final goal of getting married came true! :) I'M MARRIED! :) and a touch excited about it!

My skin was perfect.... which was surprising... I actually started getting a pimple right in

the middle of my left cheek the night before and it seemed so fitting with my luck...

But the next morning it had VANISHED! I mean not even a hint, bump or shadow of a pimple!

It was really amazing.. I guess I made the wedding gods happy at some point lol

In the last three weeks since then I've been battling the KP but no real pimples.

Being in northern europe where it was dry and chilly seemed to really make my KP act up a lot! I was bumpy like there was no tomorrow. But as soon as I got home it improved. I may still may a visit to my derm to see what I can do about it though... I just feel silly complaining about this when I dealt with so much worse.

I'm also now considering going off of my birth control pill.... it's a terrifying prospect to me because that's what landed me on accutane to start with. Pill withdrawl acne :P

But I mean how long can I really spend on the hormones out of fear right? grr decisions suck :P

Anywho, any thoughts?!

I hope everyone is doing AMAZING! here are some pics of the wedding too!

take care! :)

post-116297-1289834110_thumb.jpg

post-116297-1289834185_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@headtrip_honey)

Posted : 11/17/2010 1:50 pm

You look gorgeous!

MemberMember
(@foreverdoomed)

Posted : 11/17/2010 3:48 pm

i just saw your log for the first time and girl you have just the prettiest eyes :)

with or without accutane you are gorgeous.

my skin is ' mild' as well apparently.. but its so persistent and i've been on 4 different types of antibiotics as well as 5 different topical creams such as tazorac, clindamycin, stievamycin, clindoxyl, etc

i've had acne since about and i'm 17 now.

and right now i'm on diane35/dianette for 4 months now and there's no improvement :/

you mentioned that you live in canada. i just have one question, i've been to 3 derms and none of them want to give accutane to me because they say i don't have severe cystic acne all over my face. [ i have acne on my cheeks though] and its honestly so frustrating because they don't understand at all.

was your derm hesistant to give you accutane or did you have to convince him/her ? i've tried convincing my derm but she kept telling me to scrub my pimples off.. i was like wtf you wan't me to scar my skin?.

so now i have a derm appointment with a different person and i was just wondering how i could convince him to give me accutane?

sorry one more question. when you got your dosage increased, did you have to get a blood test two weeks later or just normally like once every month?

thanks a lot and i can't wait for your input

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 11/22/2010 8:35 am

Hey

I'm sorry it took me a few days to respond.

So when I saw my derm two years ago we discussed the possibility of me going on Accutane. His attitude was... Accutane is serious, he gave me all the info and thent old me it would be my decision about if and when I though it was a necessary step to take.

We tried a few things out for a year but nothing worked and he always brought up Accutane as something to consider but said it had to be my decision because it would be difficult.

When I told him I was getting married in 10 months. He suggested I strongly consider accutane and thats when I started!

He's a great derm because every medical step we took towards my acne was essentially my decision. He offered me his medical opinion on what he would do but it always came down to what I want and I would seriously stress this to any derm you see.

I'm sorry your having so much difficulty with the derms you've seen but you should explaint his to them! If Acne is becoming detrimental to your day to day life and how you feel about yourself then it really isn't a dermatologists place to tell you no to a treatment that could solve the issue.

It's like a doctor refusing care because they think you aren't sick enough yet!

Are you in Canada? If your around the GTA I can give you the name of my derm!

Take care! and good luck

MemberMember
(@angela1985)

Posted : 11/24/2010 7:15 pm

Hi Michelle,

I'm in the GTA and would love to know the name of your derm. Although I LOVE mine, she doesnt offer cosmetic treatments for after my course. I'd be really interested in getting your derm's opinion on post-accutane treatments.

Thanks in advance!!

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 11/30/2010 9:24 am

Hey!

My derm's name is Dr. Michael Davis. His office # is 416-638-7226

He works out of two different locations. One is downtown in Yorkville and

it's where he does most of his cosmetic dermatology. And then he works

out of a doctors office setting around the Bathurst and Shepard area.

Let me know if you need anymore info!

Good luck. He really is a fantastic doctor and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet :)

take care!

MemberMember
(@googlelady)

Posted : 12/16/2010 8:09 am

5 months on accutane, 1 month off. so far so good.

HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT BEFORE USING JUVEDERM after being on Accutane?

HOW LONG DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT BEFORE LASER TREATMENT?

If anyone has done either of these after Accutane, how long did you wait and what were the results?

What moisturizers do you use? I started using cereve while on accutane because of the horrible dryness and I still do just not as often.

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 12/16/2010 3:06 pm

Hey,

I had a round of juvederm AND a laser treatment done 10 days after the end of my Accutane course.

I was rushed because I wanted to reduce my scarring and spots before I took my engagement pictures.

I think most doctors prefer to wait longer but mine told me that accutane is pretty much out of your system after a week so it wouldn't be a problem. And I really didn't! It was really remarkable how fast I saw results (THE SAME DAY!).

Since the accutane I switched to very gentle products. For a cleanser I use Cetaphil for sensitive skin and every other day I use a mild exfoliant like Aveeno positively radiance.

I aslo switched to using Cliniques, daramatically different moisturizer and it's been fantastic.

The only other change I've made recently is to add an AHA tonic treatment in once a day to try to keep away my KP. It's a break out of little bumps that are essentially just dry skin.

My derm offered to put me on a perscription but so far just using a mild natural acid exfoliant like AHA or Glycolic acid has really helped my skin look a lot more glowy and fresh! It's also helping alot of my left over scars heal and disapear faster.

Hope that helps! :)

take care!

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 10/14/2011 10:08 am

It has been almost two years since I made the decision to take Accutane and get my skin clear for my wedding. It worked wonderfully if you ignore the emotional breakdowns, the mutilation my skin endured and the months it took for the rest of my body to rebound from the brutality of the drug... I was clear for my wedding day.

who would have thought that by my first aniversary my acne would come back and .... here's my favorite part.... it came back as cystic acne rather than plain ol'dumb pimples. :(

Here's the thing and it's a big thing when it comes to me. It's also a girl issue so boys if you can't deal close your ears or find another post :)I have a HUGE sensitivity to hormones. my first round of accutane I took to fix the acne caused by withdrawl from my bcp. of course I had to go back on bcp in order to take accutane so the evil cycle was just delayed rather then cured.

so I came off my bcp again this march and no side effects, no withdrawl, no nothing! Until september, then my face just exploded! There were no other changes to my life happening, I wasn't super stressed, I actually have been making a lot of lifestyle changes and getting a lot healthier. I work out, I eat healthy, I relax.... I don't get it! All I can figure is that my hormones were on some kind of cruel time delay. All my breakouts seem to be scheduled around that time of month. I got three new cysts last month and four new ones this month.... my face hurts! :(

I went to see my derma few weeks ago and he confirmed that the acne was now cystic... duh.... and suggested a new antibiotic. I took it for two days and it ended up practically buring a whole through my stomach and making me super sick.... so thats out.

So is most other topical treatments, almost all antibiotics, lol I honestly don't even know what to try anymore ....

I'll go back to my derm again but I can't imagine a solution. All I can think is that I went through 7 months of accutane hell and here I am again. Don't get me wrong I'm very thankful that I was clear for the wedding... but this sucks. I'll be 26 in a few weeks and I have the face of a hormonal 16 year old.... seriously wtf.

sorry for the rant but this is really hard and I needed a good vent.

As much as I support accutane and it does work for some. and it did work for me temporarily.... I just needed everyone to know that sometimes it just doesn't work ... and thats something you should strongly consider before choosing it .

Hope everyone is doing well.

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 10/15/2011 9:15 am

Aww, Michelle, sorry to hear it didn't work as you may have hoped with the Accutane. Must be pretty disheartening to be back in a situation you would have hoped to leave behind. Don't give up though, there must be things you can do to bring your skin under control again. There are people here who have done or second or maybe third course if needed, maybe you'd be able to look into that at some point. Certainly do go back to your derm and don't give up on finding a solution. I'm 26 and had acne since 13. After it continued beyond my teens and only seemed to be made worse by the antibiotics I tried at that point, I was starting to wonder of I'd ever find a solution. But I have found a regimen and the medication which seem to be improving things. Goes to show that it's best to keep trying until you find what helps you maintain skin you can be happy and confident with.

And you've certainly no need to apologize for wanting to vent. This is the perfect place to do so, amongst people who may be able to relate.

MemberMember
(@shannon-s-2)

Posted : 10/15/2011 11:33 am

That really does suck :( I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how upset you are, especially because you went from "easy" pimples to the worst of the bunch (the kind I ONLY get).

I'm also afraid of going of bcp after I'm done with the drug. Before I had this terrible breakout that lead me to accutane, I had stopped taking bcp for about 6 months, so it's evident that my breakouts are hormone related. I wish there was some drug that you could still have babies with, and would regulate your hormones! C'mon pharmaceutical companies, get with the program!

I'm wishing you the best of luck with whatever you do decide to do, and I hope it all works out. It's good that you're already in the right path-eating right, exercising, etc. I've been trying to do yoga every day as my form of exercise because it's been shown to improve hormone imbalances, maybe try that? :)

MemberMember
(@kittyx3)

Posted : 10/15/2011 12:05 pm

I read through all of this and I'm so sorry about what happened!

But you are beautiful, no matter what.

Love your eyes!

Wishing you all the best, don't give up!

MemberMember
(@michellemac)

Posted : 10/01/2012 9:20 am

It's been another year and a lot has happened :) I randomly stumbled back onto this site this morning and was kind of horrified that I left off on such a negative note the last time I wrote here. I appologize because no matter how dire and terrible my skin is I only ever want to inspire positivity among other's who are fighting the same challenges here.

So my annual update:

Things are looking better. The hormonal twister that began last October didn't last forever :)

I saw my dermatologist around the end of november last year and he put me on Differin (which I stopped within a week because of the

excessive drying) and Aczone which I am still using.

The aczone worked arlight. It mostly dried up any spots I got and decreased any inflamation I experienced.

For Christmas I got a Clarsonic brush. I can say with 100% certainty that this is the best gift my skin has EVER receieved.

I started using the brush immediately and noticed a HUGE difference in my skin. Breakouts all but stopped except for the

very predictable breakout I recieve once a month due to my hormones.

When I do get a hormonal breakout I use the Aczone twice a day alternating with moisturizer when my skin feels dry to the touch.

These breakouts typically start and heal all in the same week as long as I follow my routine.

This is good enough for me :)

Hope everyone else is doing well!