Notifications
Clear all

Accutane month 4th Disappointment

MemberMember
(@oceansong213)

Posted : 06/10/2009 10:12 pm

Hey guys,

So pretty much, i'm a week and a half into my 4th month of Accutane. Around the 2nd month of Accutane, my face was really looking great. Right now, I am breaking out really badly. My pores look big and I just feel disgusting. I'm at 60 mg and they said that they won't let me on a higher dosage. Besides the breakouts, my face is really red too (and it's not because of the summer sun)

I don't know what to do. I keep taking the pills at the same time, and I feel like my skin should be very close to clearing up, but the process has gone in the total opposite direction.

So, besides my complaints, lol, i was wondering if you guys knew of a really good cleanser so that my red skin can calm down. It is dry, and i moisturize a lot, but I think I need a better cleanser.

Also, any advice as far as the Accutane? For my 3rd month, I was on 60 mg, and I am still on it for my 4th month. They said that upping the dosage has not proved better results. I think that's BS, but anyone else have any tips for me, because I'm not looking good right now. I really put my faith into Accutane, and I really want it to work, so why isn't it?!?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@lachesis)

Posted : 06/10/2009 10:27 pm

Hey don't worry, some people only see the true results once they get off the drug because even once you get off accutane, it's still working and I mean you're only 4months in I've seen a lot of people who didn't clear up until month 5 so don't worry, it'll start clearing up eventually you're just one those who take longer to clear up. Your derm is also right about the dosage, I took 40mg during my whole course, I weight 65kg and I ended up 100% clear so it doesn't mean anything, a higher dosage will not guarantee better results, 60mg is already pretty high.. Just stick to it , you got to be patient with accutane but the result is so worth it.

MemberMember
(@lachesis)

Posted : 06/10/2009 10:32 pm

I forgot to answer the cleanser question. All you need is a mild cleanser like cetaphil, something gentle with a neutral PH, DO NOT wash your face with a cleanser that contains salycilic acid or something like that , pretty much any " acne facewash " will be terrible for your skin. Hope this helped.

MemberMember
(@glx)

Posted : 06/10/2009 10:32 pm

I don't know why it's like that, but I am getting ready to start month 4 and I can say it's been up and down when it comes to breakouts. I'm sure it will clear up soon.

As for cleaners, I use Cetaphil gentle cleanser for all skin types and I really like it. I usually apply a bunch to my hands and act like im washing my hands with it, then apply it to my face.

I have also heard of people using A Johnson and Johnson product called purpose(I think)? I heard it's good as well.

Another seemingly popular one is called JoJoba Oil, but I haven't used it or seen it anywhere, I think you can only get it in health food stores maybe? Or online for sure.

I have also noticed that when I switched cleansers a couple times towards the beginning of my treatment that my face became red and puffy for a few days EVERY TIME I switched cleansers. I would suggest finding something and sticking with it. Maybe this is the problem? Do you keep switching?

Maybe you could post your regimen so people can give you feedback.

MemberMember
(@peace18)

Posted : 06/10/2009 11:06 pm

i hoppe it gets better for you im about to start on it tommor from what i herd some people it takes a littel longer but dont lose hope it will get clear. also purpose brands have great cleansers and lotions it doesnt irritate the skin like some doo but i would make sure its a mild cleanser and not to strong

MemberMember
(@autumnb822)

Posted : 05/18/2014 11:59 pm

I'm at the end of month 5 (originally a 5 month course but changed it to a 6 month course) i can't think of a single day where I've had completely clear skin. the first 3 months were fine. (started december 27th) the side effects hadn't kicked in yet, my acne hadn't changed. (mild acne, but annoying and persistent enough to go on accutane) About month 4 all hell broke loose! I've NEVER had acne that bad. he bumped my prescription up to 40mg one day and 80mg the next. But STILL awful breakouts. The kind that make up can't cover and they just turn into nasty unattractive scabs. it takes up to 3 weeks for a pimple to completely heal. no exaggeration. Here i am at the end of month 5 and its the same story. I have 5 weeks left so I'm not going to give up but i do have faith in this stuff. id like to think that i didn't go through all of this for nothing! course ends june 27th. if I'm not completely satisfied, I'm doing a second round in october.

MemberMember
(@md2508)

Posted : 09/20/2015 6:50 pm

I'm at the end of month 5 (originally a 5 month course but changed it to a 6 month course) i can't think of a single day where I've had completely clear skin. the first 3 months were fine. (started december 27th) the side effects hadn't kicked in yet, my acne hadn't changed. (mild acne, but annoying and persistent enough to go on accutane) About month 4 all hell broke loose! I've NEVER had acne that bad. he bumped my prescription up to 40mg one day and 80mg the next. But STILL awful breakouts. The kind that make up can't cover and they just turn into nasty unattractive scabs. it takes up to 3 weeks for a pimple to completely heal. no exaggeration. Here i am at the end of month 5 and its the same story. I have 5 weeks left so I'm not going to give up but i do have faith in this stuff. id like to think that i didn't go through all of this for nothing! course ends june 27th. if I'm not completely satisfied, I'm doing a second round in october.

The same thing is going on with me right now. I just started my 4th month, and my first two months I saw steady improvement. During the 3rd month, my face started going to crap. The big nasty kind that makeup wont cover and make icky scabs and take so long to heal! I am beyond frustrated. I started on 40 mg my first month, 60 mg for 2nd and 3rd months, and doctor just upped me to 80 for my 4th month. What was your end result? I hope mine turns out ok. Right now I am back to feeling like not leaving the house or letting anyone see my face.