Notifications
Clear all

Acne or Folliculitis?

MemberMember
(@supernova480)

Posted : 03/14/2017 4:03 pm

Hey guys, I've never had any real problems with my skin in the past, but in the last year i've heavily increased my exercise. I seem to get new spots on my chest and back after every workout. I've tried all the recommended advice- cool showers, salicylic sprays and soaps, drying sweat with a towel, changing tshirt instantly after a workout. I've spent a scary amount of money on various creams, moisturisers and body washes but to no avail. 

I've been to the doctor a few times, i'm currently taking lymecycline antibiotics and i have also been using duac cream- but that seems to leave scarring and doesn't actually prevent a breakout. 

After examining closer i notice that i have hair follicles coming o t most of my spots and i'm wondering if i may actually be suffering from folliculitis? Its really bringing me down and i really dont want to have to stop my exercising but i cant help but think thats what is causing it. 

Any advice on how to treat this or opinions of what it maybe is greatly appreciatedIMG_1375.JPGIMG_1376.JPGIMG_1380.JPGIMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1378.JPG

MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 03/16/2017 7:38 pm

First off quit the antibiotics , folliculitis is a fungus and the antibiotics will just have the opposite affect killing good bacteria . Also salicylic acid won't work bc it's not acne , try an over the counter anti fungal, try zinc pyrithone soap bar or the nizoral shampoo

MemberMember
(@supernova480)

Posted : 03/17/2017 7:55 am

My doc has diagnosed it as acne, but it's only since then that i'm wondering if it's folliculitis.. just looking for other peoples opinions of what it could be. I've been on the anti-biotics for 3 weeks now and it doesn't seem to have halted breakouts let alone clear it up.

Would folliculitis cause the larger type spots, too?

thanks

swoleMom liked
MemberMember
(@swolemom)

Posted : 03/17/2017 11:10 am

A couple of things... as we seen on this forums derms can be wrong there are so many skin conditions that present themselves as acne type characteristics and turn out no to be acne at all . Is your skin red ? Does it itch sometimes? Acne won't itch? If you see it is not responding to any "acne " treatments . If it's gets worse in hot or humid climates or after a shower or it's sweaty . It's prob folliculitis due to a fungus, you can also tell if hair follicles usually stick out of the center of them . Just try the antigungals and give it a shot the acne products do not seem to be working

MemberMember
(@supernova480)

Posted : 03/20/2017 3:37 am

Thanks for the replies. The ones on my back tend to itch and do seem alot more prominent after a workout. I found quite an informative thread on this forum from a few years ago with ways to treat potential folliculitis with various soaps and products. So I've just purchased a few and see how it goes. I'll keep you updated for anyone else who maybe struggling, too.