Notifications
Clear all

i'm clear using head and shoulder shampoo

MemberMember
(@tyler-r)

Posted : 05/21/2013 1:01 pm

People need to realize that it is the Zinc Pyrithione that is affecting your acne/skin. There are plenty all soaps on amazon that have the 2% z.p ingredient and have natural inactive ingredients, instead of h&s, which contains chemicals and detergents. Look up zinc pyrithione soap on amazon get a less harmful product.

MemberMember
(@just-joe)

Posted : 05/05/2019 9:02 pm

I can vouch for this. When i started using it, my cystic acne in my scalp and on my face was the worst it had been in 10 years. It took about a month. But, i stuck with it and i am now almostly completely acne free. I use the generic stuff. But, i am certain its not just a coincidence because when i travel and don't have it, i get minor break outs.

MemberMember
(@aussie-scientist)

Posted : 05/05/2019 9:32 pm

These anti-dandruff shampoos have antifungal ingredients in them. Zinc pyrithrione is antifungal. People whose "acne" improves with using anti-dandruff shampoos have a fungal skin condition, which mimics acne but is not acne, and which is caused by either malasezzia and/or candida fungus. Outbreaks of both of these fungi are usually caused by taking antibiotics, or sometimes by taking other meds (prednisone, birth control pills...).

Dandruff is caused by malasezzia, hence anti-dandruff shampoos can control fungal acne.

If your "acne" is improved by using head and shoulders or other antifungal (ie, antidandruff) shampoo, then also use topical antifungal cream such as clotrimazole cream on the areas with acne. Using an antifungal topical cream together with anti-dandruff shampoo will speed up treating the "acne" problem.