Notifications
Clear all

Oily face even with use of oil control cleanser

MemberMember
(@eric1305)

Posted : 09/05/2016 4:38 pm

I've been using the Cetaphil oil control foam wash for roughly two years now. I can't remember the results at first but today, I still have oily skin with the use of this cleanser. I was thinking, maybe my skin became dependent of it and now it has no more effect on me. Maybe it's time for me to change cleanser? I'm scared to change since I like how gentle it is. At the same time I feel like it is now the cause of my oily skin. What new cleanser should I try that will not cause oily skin? I also use BP every other night. I have combination skin with my forehead, nose and upper cheeks being oily while the area around my mouth is dry.
I use the La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluid moisturizer twice a day after each wash. Maybe I'm putting too much and it comes out as oily skin? I don't know.. The possibilities seem to be endless.

I'm at a point where my oily skin is more of a concern than my acne. I know it's in my genes to produce more sebum but I need to control it ASAP to regain confidence.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@eli_g)

Posted : 09/06/2016 2:44 pm

I feel your pain. I'm quit similar to you, oily face except super dry around the mouth and in my nose creases. I found that cream cleansers are really great. I loved foam cleansers when I was young, but they dried me out, even when they were gentle and for sensitive skin. My face was actually oilier using those products. Neutrogena made a soy cleanser that was super good and gentle, also great for brightening, but they discontinued it. Currently I'm using a gel cleanser which is not as good and is drying me out a little, so I'm going to switch to Fresh soy cream cleanser after the bottle is done. I'm not sure what they have at the drugstore, but google affordable cream cleansers and check the product reviews on makeupalley. You can try an oil controlling moisturizer as well. I haven't tried any, since I prefer a heavier moisturizer, so I can't attest to them.

However, if you're feeling up to it, you could also try using an oil controlling makeup primer, plus translucent mattifying powder, plus mattifying/oil controlling setting spray. A lot of guys might balk at using makeup products, but I don't see they shouldn't try them if it'll help.

Eric1305 liked
MemberMember
(@emolie)

Posted : 09/07/2016 9:33 pm

hi! i also used to have EXTREMELY oily skin, all over my face. I started using Desert Essence's Moringa, Jojoba, and Rosehip oil as moisturizer instead of chemical moisturizers, and this has actually normalled out my sebum levels dramatically. Jojoba oil is very similar to sebum's chemical makeup and therefore tricks your skin into thinking it has produced enough. I highly recommend trying jojoba oil as a moisturizer. dont worry, its non-comedogenic. and dont worry if it breaks you out at first, it flushes out your pores and brings the bad stuff up. but i promise that in a month or two your oily skin will be gone!

Eric1305 liked