Notifications
Clear all

I want to build-my-own regimen in order to take care of and fix my problematic skin. Recommendations?

MemberMember
(@notcanon)

Posted : 07/30/2016 3:58 pm

Hello, I'm a 20 year old girl that's planning to transfer over to a university soon. Naturally, living with strangers is terrifying because of my mild to moderately bad skin. I really don't want anyone to see me without makeup on because of a traumatizing experience I had in a past related to it and someone I trusted. Suffice it to say that I have a huge complex regarding it. This has only festered because my skin has gotten exponentially worse over the past 7 years. 

Luckily, I actually do have money for supplies and for the first time I do have enough to begin to take care of my skin. 
...on a reasonable budget, of course (below 100$ for everything). 

Keep in mind that I'm looking for a full regimen and advice to take care of my problematic skin. I'm not sure if I want to commit to a full package (like Proactive?) because the formulas used in it might not work for me, so I don't want to take a risk unless you guys can honestly recommend me something as close to fool-proof as possible. I'm fine with the convienience of a package, 

Some details (basically things I want to combat/fix and concerns)

-Face gets very oily during the day, and is sensitive (so I'm afraid of trying new products). I have a lot of large, clogged pores. 
-I only have three or less active pimples at once 90% of the time. The especially bad ones tend to be only undergrounders that don't have any whiteheads--they just make the area stay red for weeks and weeks. 
-I get mild amounts of acne everywhere on my face (nose bridge, forehead, temples, cheeks, jawline, upper lip, nostrils), but it seems like my chin has them consistently.
-Honestly, I look older than I am and I feel very self-conscious about it. My skin just looks that dull and rough (emphasis on this)...oh, but just FYI: I don't really have any dents. The bumps last a long time, but generally it's hyperpigmentation the I suffer from.
-Speaking of which, my whole face is spotty. Red and dark everywhere. It always seems like it's healing from something--it takes months for the redness to fade too. I really need something that'll accelerate the process and help heal my skin and not just be superficial. I definitely want something that'll help the scars, too. 
-I'm afraid to exfoliate. What if it damages my healing acne? Am I wrong about this, or should I get an exfoliator? I've just heard stuff about a lot of popular ones causing unseen damage to the skin...

Let me stress that I only want to cover up my scars and acne with make-up, not my whole face. Do you have any recommendations for foundation/cover-up that's very effective, can be used selectively/blends well into the skin, will stay on all day (12hours+), neutralizes oily skin, and - if it doesn't make it better - doesn't aggravate acne? 

Oh, and another miscellaneous thing is that the university I'm going to is on a beach. I really need some sunscreen that doesn't make a greasy film and won't make me break out. 

~~~

What I already have: 

Cerave facial lotion 
Tea Tree oil
Cerave cleanser 

Is this fine or should I get something else? 

Note: I actually did have a well-used account here but I don't know what happened to it.  

MemberMember
(@grooving-till-old-till-dust)

Posted : 07/31/2016 2:43 pm

If you have mild to moderate acne I recommend buying a cleanser with 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide and a cream to apply overnight with 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide. It might dry your skin at first but benzoyl peroxide is a good acne fighting ingredient because it kills the bacteria that causes acne.

Schedule a dermatologist appointment this summer before transferring because they will give you some stronger products to stop your acne and fade your red and dark marks. Ask the dermatologist about tretinoin cream 0.025%. It would help with your acne and discoloration. And dont wear makeup when you see the dermatologist, so that they can see your red and dark marks.

As for makeup, I dont know very much because Im a guy, but I know a little. Almost two years ago, during my first semester of college, I broke out really badly and it left me with tons of red marks. I looked terrible. So bad that I started wearing makeup. I wore foundation till a couple of weeks before the start of my sophomore year. Neutrogena liquid foundation with salicylic acid worked really well for me. I recommend that you give it a try.

Notcanon liked
MemberMember
(@jessssiieee)

Posted : 08/08/2016 5:03 pm

Your situation sounds all too similar to me. I recently got everything under control after a dermatologist appointment (which I fully recommend because they will prescribe you stronger medicine than the stuff you could find over the counter) but I know that can be inconvenient and it can take up to a few months to even get into an appointment. I'll tell you a few things I've learned over the past 7 months dealing with and finally fixing my acne.

So. first things first, you need a good cleanser to use morning and night. I use neutrogena clear pore cleanser/mask($6). This contains 3.5% benzoyl peroxide. This will keep the oil under control while helping your acne. It can also be left on as a mask for five minutes. I would put a mask on while I was studying with a roommate or spot treat specific pimples over night. I used this product for two weeks and quickly saw results.

If you need extra help with pimples, try using neutrogena rapid clear. It's new and I tried out their spot treatment which is clear so I would put this on my really bad spots in the morning under my lotion and makeup.

Next you need a moisturizer. Put this on everyday after you wash your face or put the clear spot treatment on. I use aveeno clear complexion facial lotion ($13). I think that's what it's called. It's the only aveeno face lotion that has salicylic acid in it. This will prevent your face from getting too oily. It also contains soy which helped so much with my redness and dark spots.

Along with what you said about exfoliation. It's an essential part in making your scars or any redness reduce. I would recommend starting to exfoliate once your face doesn't hurt (or if it doesn't, start gently exfoliating now). The face wash I recommended also has an exfoliating version. Also, I have been using a clarisonic and it's done amazing things for my face. It looks brighter, clearer, and the scars are fading faster.

As for makeup, I feel your pain. I figured out that powder makeup worked the best in "naturally" covering up my redness and pimples. I used bareminerals matte powder foundation ($29) when I put on liquid foundation I felt like the bumps were so easily noticeable or would sink into dry pimples. It just looked gross. Also, I live on a beach and this powder foundation is great because it won't sweat off and has spf in it (win!) I know this won't last for 12+ hours like you asked, but I layer it throughout the day and it never looks cakey. If you don't like it, ulta will let you return it.

I'm currently in a search for a good sunscreen for my face! I tried targets brand of face sunscreen called bare republic. It made my face SO DRY. Anyways, many derms recommend mineral sunscreen for your face because it's natural. (Zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) so look for mineral sunscreens! They can be drying so be careful!

i know this is a lot but I hope I helped!

Notcanon liked