Notifications
Clear all

Bad reaction to salicylic acid

MemberMember
(@wowdody)

Posted : 02/12/2016 12:15 pm

A few weeks ago I started using a new foundation that immediately started breaking my face out. I decided to try out Neutrogena acne face wash with 2% SA and healthy face lotion with aha about a week ago to deal with the blemishes and I thought it could help with my large pores as well. I'm 33 and have 2 kids, I've never really had major skin issues but now my skin is oily, i get blemishes and dry patches regularly and my pores are enormous. I used the wash and lotion that night with no issue. The next day I used them morning and night with slight burning in the morning and at night it burned for about an hour. When I woke up in the morning I used the wash and a third as much lotion as the night before and the burning only persisted about 10 minutes. I read that alpha hydroxy burns when you first start using it so I didn't think it was major but I didn't like it so I called Neutrogena. The representative I spoke to sent me a refund and some coupons for other products she said might work better. That night I didn't put anything on my face at all but when I woke up the next day my whole face was swollen and with dry scaly patches around my mouth and nose. I washed my face with plain soap and did cold compresses and the swelling went down within a few hours. I went to the store and picked up an aveeno favorites clear complexion box that had a foming face wash and moisturizer and used it that night. It only had 0.5% SA so I didn't think it would be too harsh but again I woke up swollen. Is there something else I should try? Will it help if I only do it once or twice a week? What are some good daily cleansers and moisturizers without acne medication that wont clog my pores? Also maybe a medium to full coverage foundation that won't break me out?

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 02/15/2016 8:03 pm

Epiology is a good alternative moisturising cream for anyone sensitive to SA or BP.