Notifications
Clear all

So Tired Of Searching For A Good Moisturizer... Help!

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 05/02/2015 3:05 am

Hey everybody... I don't usually get much answers on this site, maybe cause I'm not very active here (I just don't have much valuable knowledge to give, so I mostly just read), but I hope someone can take a minute to give me an advice.

So yea, I find it almost impossible to find a good moisturizer, cause most of them break me out a few days after using. I've been sticking to Neutrogena Oil-free moisturizer as it seemed to not cause any reaction, but the ingredients always bother me so much, since there are lots of parabens and frangrance... Just doesn't feel like I want to feed my skin with it forever (been using it for 1,5 years now as my main moisturizer).

Moisturizers I've tried recently:

Paula's Choice Skin Ballancing Moisturizer - I kept on using it on and off, but it feels like each time i use it, I break out a bit on my cheeks. PIty, since it has nice ingredients

Dermalogica Active Moist - my newest experiment and it didn't end well at all. I broke out on the areas i used it the most, so no doubt about it.

Neutrogena Oil-free Moisturizer - no big break outs, though acne is still there and I don't like the ingredients, so maybe it's contributing to my pores clogging

Neroli Oil - same same, a reaction few days after using. Had high hopes for this one, since it's supposed to battle acne.

Bio-Oil - immediate reaction, got some whiteheads next morning. And not only on my face, butt and back too, where i used it.

Avocado Oil - skin didn't like, small red pimples on cheeks

Also my skin hates any kinds of exfoliants, AHa's, oils (Salycilic Acid and Lactic Acid are ok)... I don't know what to use. Can't just skip moisturizing, cause it gets really dry and I'm slowly developing fine lines, not to mention scarring etc. PLEASE recommend me something

MemberMember
(@nmyuschak)

Posted : 05/02/2015 8:31 am

Have you tried Dan's Acne.org moisturizer? I shyed away from it at first and used trader Joe's Antioxidant oil free moisturizer which was great at moisturizing but stung a little until I got used to it because I was using it with BP. I've fallen in love with dans. It has jojoba oil which is non pore clogging and takes care of flakes, and licorice root extract which naturally calms the skin and makes it feel refreshed (and helps fade spots I've noticed)

MemberMember
(@smartymarty)

Posted : 05/02/2015 12:50 pm

Is that you in your avatar? You look really pretty.

On my face after using secret Aztec Indian healing clay, my face has become much much more smooth and bright. The downside of using this clay is that it literally dries out your face real bad. I only use it twice it a week and that is my only regime. I will only occasionally use moisturisers if my skin is real dry and it has a little pain.

So anyway what I'm trying to say is, are you washing your face to frequent? What is your regime? Do you exfoliate everyday? Maybe cut back on exfoliating since your needed to rebalance your face all the time.

My current moisturiser is Olay or I use this Nivea shave balm. I don't use moisturisers often nor do I do much to my face. My routine is simply apply clay twice a week and moisturise if I feel my skin is starting to irritate

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 05/02/2015 1:25 pm

Is that you in your avatar? You look really pretty.

On my face after using secret Aztec Indian healing clay, my face has become much much more smooth and bright. The downside of using this clay is that it literally dries out your face real bad. I only use it twice it a week and that is my only regime. I will only occasionally use moisturisers if my skin is real dry and it has a little pain.

So anyway what I'm trying to say is, are you washing your face to frequent? What is your regime? Do you exfoliate everyday? Maybe cut back on exfoliating since your needed to rebalance your face all the time.

My current moisturiser is Olay or I use this Nivea shave balm. I don't use moisturisers often nor do I do much to my face. My routine is simply apply clay twice a week and moisturise if I feel my skin is starting to irritate

Thanks! :)

I'm washing my face with Dermalogica Ultra Calming cleanser twice a day, don't exfoliate at all, since any time I try to exfoliate I break out. Well my skin is a bit different, it is constantly dry and I can't go a day without a moisturizer...Tried some clay masks, but it gets so dry it burns.

Is Olay moisturiser working fine for you? No clogged pores? It has Isopropyl Isosterate as one of the main ingredients and a sylicone, besides some other comedogenic ingredients. Thought I guess everyone's skin reacts differently .

MemberMember
(@pinkberry)

Posted : 05/02/2015 1:42 pm

I think the Neutrogena Combination skin moisturizer is pretty good, not sure if that's the one you are using. Also, the Olay Sensitive skin and Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Cream get good reviews. Or maybe something simple and non-comedogenic like hemp seed oil. I would stay away from anything with sunscreen, because I think that can aggravate acne.

MemberMember
(@hope7)

Posted : 05/02/2015 1:48 pm

Hi

You sound like my daughter, she had a lot of trouble finding a moisturizer that she likes, that didn't cause breakouts and was moisturizing enough after applying her topicals. But she found one that she loves it is EltaMd AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer. If you check o cosdna it has no irritating ingredients. If you want to use an oil as a moisturizer try hemp oil it is 0 on the comedogenic scale.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 05/02/2015 2:10 pm

On 5/3/2015 at 12:42 AM, pinkberry said:

I think the Neutrogena Combination skin moisturizer is pretty good, not sure if that's the one you are using. Also, the Olay Sensitive skin and Clinique Dramatically Different Gel Cream get good reviews. Or maybe something simple and non-comedogenic like hemp seed oil. I would stay away from anything with sunscreen, because I think that can aggravate acne.

Any ideas on what to use instead of sunscreen? So not wanting to prematurely age, but getting acne is not an option either :(

On 5/3/2015 at 12:48 AM, Hope7 said:

Hi

You sound like my daughter, she had a lot of trouble finding a moisturizer that she likes, that didn't cause breakouts and was moisturizing enough after applying her topicals. But she found one that she loves it is EltaMd AM Therapy Facial Moisturizer. If you check on cosdna it has no irritating ingredients. If you want to use an oil as a moisturizer try hemp oil it is 0 on the comedogenic scale.

Good luck!

I was just reading about hemp oil like a moment ago, sounds good! It was only today I found out about the oleic and linoleic acids and that acne sufferers lack the latter.

MemberMember
(@pinkberry)

Posted : 05/02/2015 3:53 pm

You could try Neutrogena Pure & Free liquid sunscreen as it's a physical sunscreen using zinc oxide and titanium oxide instead of chemicals. I bought it for my sons to try this summer when they're out in the sun a lot since they both have acne, but they haven't used it yet. It gets good reviews on Amazon, etc. The Elta sunscreens also get good reviews, as do the LaRoche-Posay sunscreens and moisturizers, but I've never tried them.

My older son used hemp oil on his neck area because he was getting redness from razor burn and it cleared it right up but he has never tried it on his face.

MemberMember
(@haffu-khan)

Posted : 06/01/2018 6:22 pm

i ill recommend you one thing which i tried and trying for my whole life...glycerin +rose water...it works amazing as a moisturizer...but i use it at night and its hydrate my skin alottttttt....so u can try