Notifications
Clear all

Glycolic Acid & Other Products?

MemberMember
(@chicanery)

Posted : 02/14/2015 7:12 am

Hi,

I am a 17 year old girl and have been struggling with acne for about four years, but it used to only be on my forehead and the spots always came to a head and would respond well to antibacterial treatments. Now, they aren't cystic but they've moved to my entire face (only my nose is clear). My skin is oily and the acne on my cheeks is very painful and never comes to a head, and NEVER goes. The same spots seem to stay and flare up again and again.

I assume my acne is hormonal, but I don't want to go on the pill. I also don't want to go on roaccutane because anything that messes with your liver like that terrifies me. I have tried absolutely everything - the acne.org regimen did nothing for me, I've tried eliminating dairy, my makeup is non-comedogenic.. I've tried home remedies and peel off masks and sudocreme etc.

I've been to a dermatologist and she gave me a regimen, but it barely helped my skin at all. She told me I should come back for a chemical peel which would sort it out, but I can't afford a week of peeling, red skin that I can;t cover with makeup. I'm always either at school or seeing people - it's not something I want to do.

I bought a bottle of 10% glycolic acid. How do you guys use it? Should I apply it twice a week? It says you can't use any harsh chemicals on your skin for 2 days after. I'm currently using the clinique acne 3 step (which is doing NOTHING, but I want to give it more time); should I apply my balancing oil the night after the 5 minute glyc treatment?

I just don't understand how my skin will benefit from the exfoliation if I can't apply my topical treatment after. Does the exfoliation last for a while/can it sort out the acne itself?

Thanks