Notifications
Clear all

Is Washing Your Face With A Cleanser Bad?

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 02/10/2013 7:29 pm

I use Avene Cleanance gel 2x day, once in the morning, once in night before bed. Is it bad for your skin to use a cleanser? And how would you slowly go off it so you don't break out and what not, (if it IS bad for you.) and what could I start using instead that isn't bad for your skin at all, and in fact helps the skin and acne? I want to start applying coconut oil, could I slowly go off avene and start using coconut oil instead? :)

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 02/10/2013 11:19 pm

There are those (not me) who do believe using cleansers and treatments are are bad thing * look up the "doing nothing/natural" regimen*. They believe these things strip the skin and irritate, thus causing more acne. Although this thought process isn't necessarily wrong, I do believe it's exaggerated . Of course there are such things as harsh cleansers and treatments but its foolish to ban all cleansers altogether. I still believe in cleansers because of the simple fact that skin on the face is still skin, and thus it still requires cleansing just like any other body part (although with alot more care). I think the key is finding one that (obviously) does not irritate, isn't chock full of chemicals, and is non-comedogenic. The same goes for adding on a topical treatment.

The only thing I can add is that even with the most gentle of cleansers, it is key to watch the process of how and when you use them (see the instructions of Dan's regimen to see what I mean).

So basically, I firmly believe washing your face is a good thing as long as the ingredients and process are always gentle.

MemberMember
(@northerngal100)

Posted : 02/11/2013 12:09 am

It probably depends on your skin type. For me (dry, sensitive, blackhead/whitehead prone) minimizing "normal" cleansers was the best thing I ever did for my skin. I used to use Avene Clean-ac (a cream based, sensitive skin, acne cleanser - I tried a tester of cleanance and it destroyed my skin with dryness). I am also a tazorac .05% gel user (2-3 days per week with cream).

I slowly made the transition off cleansers for the most part starting in November. I switched to using only a micellar water and a thermal water spray in the morning - this helps maintain the lipid barrier/ph and also kept my skin more moisturized. Then I started using 100% organic cold-pressed almond oil to cleanse most evenings. I started because of the harsh winter and my skin getting clogged with dry, flakey irritated skin. My skin hurt to much to use cleanser, even my gentle milk cleansers burnt.

For the cleansing, I basically:

1. Quickly wipe face with cotton ball and micellar lotion

2. put a quarter size amount of oil in clean hands, rub in light circular motions on face for 3-5 minutes.

3. Add an essential oil like tea tree or lavender for one minute

4. Soak a clean face cloth in hot tap water

5. Drape on face for 30 seconds to steam, wipe face - re-soak, re-steam, and re-rinse.

6. Pat on 3 drops of rosehip/gogi seed oil ("True Roots Organics Skin Lovers Oil" - from organic health food store)

7. Pat on cetaphil cream

I am not sure I would recommend coconut oil. I have done a lot of research and the best oils to use are both non-comedogenic (obviously) and those with high linoleic acid (fatty acid) content - I'll call it LA for short. Research has shown that the blockages are linked to acne-prone skin having LOW LA content - which makes sebum sticky, hard, and thick - attracting dead skin cells and bacteria into the pores. LA in some oils helps loosen blackheads and whiteheads by providing skin with a normal level of LA.

Therefore, if you are planning on cleansing with oil, I would recommend: sweet almond, jojoba, hemp, and grapeseed. For a moisturizer at nighttime, I would recommend evening primrose, rose hip (which has the side benefit of bio-available vitamin a, which encourages exfloliation), or almond oil.

Almond oil has the side benefit of having natural vitamin e for clearning discoloration and is also anti-microbial.

If you want to try it out, I would start by keeping cleansing in morning and night and try adding a high LA content oil as a moisturizer at night (I initially used evening primrose) and maybe try oil cleansing once a week. If your skin is looking ok after two - four weeks, try introducing oil cleansing a few times a week and build up from there.

MemberMember
(@jekester)

Posted : 02/11/2013 1:35 am

There are those (not me) who do believe using cleansers and treatments are are bad thing * look up the "doing nothing/natural" regimen*. They believe these things strip the skin and irritate, thus causing more acne. Although this thought process isn't necessarily wrong, I do believe it's exaggerated . Of course there are such things as harsh cleansers and treatments but its foolish to ban all cleansers altogether. I still believe in cleansers because of the simple fact that skin on the face is still skin, and thus it still requires cleansing just like any other body part (although with alot more care). I think the key is finding one that (obviously) does not irritate, isn't chock full of chemicals, and is non-comedogenic. The same goes for adding on a topical treatment.

The only thing I can add is that even with the most gentle of cleansers, it is key to watch the process of how and when you use them (see the instructions of Dan's regimen to see what I mean).

So basically, I firmly believe washing your face is a good thing as long as the ingredients and process are always gentle.

OK so it isn't BAD to use a cleanser, you just need the right one for yourself? I use Avene Acne cleanance gel, but it doesn't list the ingredients or anything.

Would it be okay to use the cleanser 2x a day, and then start off at once every week (at night after cleansing) use jojoba oil before bed? and then gradually do the jojoba oil every night??

would that be ok to do?

hah I'm just lost as to what to put on my face :/

MemberMember
(@random1)

Posted : 02/13/2013 12:43 am

OK so it isn't BAD to use a cleanser, you just need the right one for yourself? I use Avene Acne cleanance gel, but it doesn't list the ingredients or anything.

Would it be okay to use the cleanser 2x a day, and then start off at once every week (at night after cleansing) use jojoba oil before bed? and then gradually do the jojoba oil every night??

would that be ok to do?

hah I'm just lost as to what to put on my face :/

Yea, finding a cleanser that works with your specific skin type is really important. However, if you find it hard to find(since theres like tons out there) I recommend just going with basic cleansers such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Purpose (by Johnson & Johnson), Acne.org, Aveeno foaming wash.

Are you saying you want to forget the cleanser and just gradually do JUST the jojoba oil?

Or are you just trying to incorporate it into your regimen?

Either way, jojoba oil definitely a good thing, and all i can say about it is it's not really supposed to be put on just on its own. Its recommended that a few drops be added into a lotion (non comedogenic one of course).

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 02/15/2013 11:47 am

Have you ever tried yogurt as a facial cleanser? It has a pH of 5.5, so it won't dry out your skin and it can also be used as a mask. I use a non fat Greek yogurt. A little goes a long way.

MemberMember
(@northerngal100)

Posted : 02/21/2013 11:02 pm

Hey guys - I just wanted to say - DO NOT USE THE OIL CLEANSING METHOD. It was working great for me as dry skin is one of my biggest complaints (well, besides those pesky skin coloured bumps!) and the OCM made my skin soooo happy - for a month. Then all hell broke loose. Actually. I got this rash-like breakout of tiny little bumps. They didn't have a head or anything...my skin felt like sandpaper. I just switched to spectro gel which is the only cleanser I know of which has no SLS, parabens, etc. and is gentle (but has a satisfying clean). My doctor recommended it to me.

After three days of switching, my skin is calming down...but it is still an absolute mess. This will probably take a month to deal with completely. I have been using tazorac for a while (8 months?) and it cleared me pretty much 100% - but the OCM ruined it.

Bottom line: I would just stick to the plainest, least chemical, and gentle thing you can and don't mess around with stuff that is (a) too harsh or (b) a fad which clearly does not clean your skin.

MemberMember
(@ghiggz)

Posted : 03/07/2013 3:08 pm

Has anyone tried Dermalogica's gentle cleansers?