Notifications
Clear all

Dermacinz (Zinc Pyrithione Cream)

MemberMember
(@avalonhaze)

Posted : 01/14/2013 8:00 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first ever post here and I realise I'm using it to plug a product, but I assure you that I am in no way associated with the company. Dermacinz is a Zinc Pyrithione cream made by a fairly obscure Irish company, initially to treat psoriasis. I have oily skin and suffer from the combined horrors of both cystic acne and seborrhoeic dermatitis. Once upon a time (circa 2004) my SD was actually the thing that crippled my self-esteem the most. Acne, for all the torment it brings, is at least socially identifiable. The thick yellow scaling and inflammation caused by serious SD is met with both repulsion and bemusement.

How I ever came upon this product is lost to me now. I was at University at the time studying Biology and desperately grabbing at anything that I could find. Very quickly when you develop an embarrassing skin condition you seem to outgrow your local Doctors expertise (especially if you're in a science discipline). Humble old Zinc Pyrithione, a product of the 1930's has a wide array of effects as doubtless many of you will be aware. Anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and there just ones that we're sure on. If you're really interested have a rummage around PubMed for a few hours.

Anyway, this product has been the backbone of my acne regime for getting on eight years now. I recently, rather stupidly began moving away from it and quickly learned why I became so dependent on it in the first place. I did all the mainstream acne treatments in my teens, including Ro-accuatane which certainly made a difference. However, this is simply the best over the counter product I have ever brought, period. It's not a cure, nothing truly ever is in my experience and it does have one minor drawback. It can be a bit on the oily side, when compared with some oil free moisturisers (you might prefer to use it at night). However it treats many of the etiologies of acne (and SD) very effectively, without the harsh drying ingredients found in anti-dandruff shampoos.

I've written this post largely as a sign of gratitude to a company that has given me an awful lot of confidence. I'm 30 this year and gone are the days where I stare at my shoes anymore (my fiance has probably helped a little ;-). Anyway rant over, give it a try. I also hear good things about simple Zinc Oxide creams for acne but I've never tried them.

Rob

PS: It lists the active ingredient as Torcin but I know for a fact its Zinc Pyrithione based.

MemberMember
(@simeon)

Posted : 03/31/2013 10:59 am

Hi there. I suffer from Seborrheic Dermatitis since 4 years. I am currently on my last year of master's degree of medical chemistry (see the irony:)? Been using a cream with 0.5 % ZnPT as active ingredient (not the one you mentioned) for past 2 years and my SD is 90++ % at bay. What I am lately concern is that ZnPT is effective on SD not only with his anti-fungal but more with it's anti-metabolic effect, with other words it inhibits the cell growth (avoid the new skin pushing the healthy one before it's normal replacement-reason for the flakes- by slowing the process.

http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1983/cc034n01/p00001-p00011.pdf

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12192-009-0145-6

Now we need to distinguish usage of ZnPT in shampoos from the creams, simply because the first is rinsed off and the other is left on the skin. So keeping that in mind such a repression of skin DNA could teaoretically cause the DNA to try fight it - faster skin growth, faster and thick hair growing. From what I understand you have been using zinc pyrithione cream for eight years straight or you been using it once in a while? And how is that reflecting to your skin and hair? Your experience is of great interest to me and others I hope.

MemberMember
(@avalonhaze)

Posted : 04/18/2013 4:09 am

Hi,

Sorry I've not visited for a while. Well yes it has been pretty such 8 years straight and my face hasn't fallen off. I can't say with any certainty that I'm not setting myself up for problems later in life but as of the moment all is normal. My hairs receding like all of the men in my family, so certainly not thickening sadly. That said, I can't account for interpersonal genetics so who knows what affect it might have on someone else. I've recently had an outbreak of cystic acne though, my first in years. I'm on Doxy (which is making me depressed) and Adaplene. Adaplenes mode of action seems to be contrary to Zinc Pyrithione so I wonder how those two are getting on together

:-S

MemberMember
(@avalonhaze)

Posted : 04/18/2013 4:09 am

Hi,

Sorry I've not visited for a while. Well yes it has been pretty such 8 years straight and my face hasn't fallen off. I can't say with any certainty that I'm not setting myself up for problems later in life but as of the moment all is normal. My hairs receding like all of the men in my family, so certainly not thickening sadly. That said, I can't account for interpersonal genetics so who knows what affect it might have on someone else. I've recently had an outbreak of cystic acne though, my first in years. I'm on Doxy (which is making me depressed) and Adaplene. Adaplenes mode of action seems to be contrary to Zinc Pyrithione so I wonder how those two are getting on together

Hi,