Notifications
Clear all

Vichy Normaderm, Zinc, Bp And Thyme Tincture.

MemberMember
(@nushiiii)

Posted : 04/12/2012 6:26 am

Hi

I don't usually rave about a brand as usually I find it a bit dangerous - no sooner do you rave but the product starts to fail, but I wanted to let people kow about some orducts and an approach that has given me the clearest skin I have ever had. Maybe its a fluke but I don't know...

Some background. I am now 32. I have had acne since I was 13. The acne has changed in its nature over time - in my teends I had a lot of white and black heads, predominently on the cheeks, chin and jaw line. By my late teens/early 20s this developed into cystic acne that gave me cysts that sometimes made it painful to sleep on my side and even the pillow added more pressure on already pressurized pustules, it was awful. In my mid-late 20s the cysts subsided a little (I had smaller cysts but a rise in the number of black and white heads) and by my late 20s I was suffering acne predominently along the jawline consistently (my jawline was never clear of horrible small whiteheads and cysts) and sometimes I experienced breakouts on my cheeks.

I have been on 3 courses of roaccutane in my life - the last I completed about 2-3 years ago. I have tried everything you can imagine, and been prescribed everything going - from fasting and detoxes, to using cider vinegar on the skin (and drinking it), antibiotics, topical applications such as Differin, Retin A, Minoxin, Dianette and various other hormone control measures, red light therapy, crystal clear dermabraison, facials, multiple over the counter treatments, from Oxy, Clearasil and Neutrogena, to various strengths of BP (highest being x10) creams and washes, Dermalogica, Oxygenated creams, Acid washes and creams, everything. Its cost me a fortune and more importantly acne reduced my quality of life. All my life I have been incapable of leaving the house without makeup (all dermalogically tested, and non-comogenic etc.), avoided some social situations, particularly if my skin was very bad, I have avoided holidays, I have avoided sleeping over at friends houses as I was terrified of being seen without make up in the morning. I suffered with scars that took months to clear as well, so even when my skin went through very brief periods of improvement, I was left having to eal with scars (again, using everything I could think of, from acid peels, glycolic acid washes and creams, emu oil, bio oil, cocoa butter, red light therapy etc.). Its reduced my quality of life immensely, and whenever I see someone with acne, I immediately know how they feel and feel a great deal of empathy and sympathy. Its a horrible thing to deal with, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

A few months ago I was getting really down and just incredibly sick of things. I was finding it hard to stay over people's houses again, and then if I did, took ages in the bathroom which again made me self conscious of what people would be thinking, as it took me ages to cover all the spots, cysts, black heads and marks on my skin.... I decided to try a few things - I had a few other symptoms that pointed to a possible zinc deficiency (ie some hair loss), so started taking high doses of zinc (3 x 25mg tablets), drinking more water, and changing to come face washes and creams that contain a mix of different skin-tolerant acids. I also read recent scientific research into the benefits of thyme in treating acne - thyme was found to kill off more acne bacteria in clinical controlled trials than even BP. Anyway, I decided otry something new. By chance, Boots had an offer on for a new skin cream by Vichy, which promised to deal with a whole host of problems that I have, as part of their Normaderm range. The offer was for a cream and a wash for 12 and I decided to go for it. My skin in 3 weeks has improved dramatatically. This is no word of a lie - the cream seems ot dry out pimples while still moisturising my skin - I wash my face with the Normaderm wash, use a Normaderm toner, then apply a tincture of thyme diluted in lavender water, both purchased from Neals Yard. I dilute it quite a lot, as tinctures contain large amounts of alcohol, which can have a very drying affect, so in a bottle, I add half of 1/3 of the tincture, and top up the rest with lavender water (which is also a natural antiseptic and has a calming and balancing affect). This thyme mixture has been amazing. Not only has it cleared my skin of existing acne, its reduced dramatically the amount of new spots coming through - I only have 3 tiny pimples on my chin - three weeks ago, my cheeks, forehead and jawline were covered, and I have very large pores. After letting this diluted thyme tincture dry, I then apply a very thin layer of 2.5% BP to any areas where I have spots (obviously I am only applying it to the area that has the 3 small pimples at the moment) and then once that is dry, I apply the Vichy Normaderm moisturiser, and am quite liberal with this.

My pores look much smaller (its crap than anything can 'reduce' pores - they can simply appear less clogges, but pores will always be visible to a degree), expecially those on my nose and cheeks (which used to be massive), and I only have three pimples. In three weeks my scars have reduced to the degree that some are gone. I think the key is the thyme tincture, the zinc and the various acids in the Vichy wash and cream.

I have also requested recently that my doctor carry out blood tests to check my zinc levels (blood was taken prior to me taking the suppliments), thyroid function, white blood cell count, hormone levels and iron levels, and am waiting to see if any of those results will reveal something about why I have been plagued with acne for so long. Either way, at the moment, I am amazed this regime I am persevering with is working so well. I don't know if anything I have said will help anyone. I hope so. And also, I hope the results I am experiencing now will last - I'll let people know.

Oh, I should add, my back is still a bit of a problem. I might try the regimen of Thyme tincture and BP on that to see what the results might be... I should also add, today was the first day I have ever left my house without wearing makeup, and I actually felt confident, and the feeling was weird and amazing all at the same time. Such a simple thing, but it felt brilliant...

MemberMember
(@thereisalwayshope)

Posted : 09/08/2013 12:13 pm

I do not know why no one has replied to your post! I did some research on thyme today, and came across you post!

What kind of tinctures was in brand wise? Does it contain alcohol? And does it make your skin dry?

Im happy for the success you had with it, is your skin looking awesome??

Anyway, thank you for your post!

Deniz

MemberMember
(@boskabouter)

Posted : 09/08/2013 2:22 pm

do you think thyme essential oil could help as well?

Normaderm is lovely isn't it? I've been using the Normaderm Anti-age cream for about two years now. Best moisturizer ever for acne prone skin!