Notifications
Clear all

Burts Bees: didn't work for me

MemberMember
(@anthrogal)

Posted : 07/12/2004 11:50 am

I just wanted to share my experience with Burts Bees facial products. I bought a kit of skin care products including the Blemish Stick. After using them, I've been breaking out more and I have developed a bunch of tiny bumps all over my cheeks. After reading the reviews on makeupalley.com where people had a similar reaction, I think the irritation was due to the citrus facial scrub and the Blemish stick. The ingredients of the blemish stick are too strong to to put all over your face; you have to use it as a spot treatment. But I want to prevent zits! They should not have put alcohol (why didn't they use jojoba oil or something good for your face?) in the blemish stick, and I really don't believe in alcohol toners, which are also a part of their line. Also, the orange cleanser is too oily (even though it has good oils) and didn't really do anything either. Is there a natural product line that actually works? Anyone have a similar experience with Burts Bees?

MemberMember
(@ritzvin)

Posted : 07/12/2004 12:13 pm

hmm..you might be allergic to some of the essential oils in there. A lot of people are sensitive to citrus oils. You might want to stay away from the 'natural' skincare lines that contain loads of plant extracts since these are all potential irritants.

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 07/12/2004 12:27 pm

Is there a natural product line that actually works?

i think natural ingredients are best when used in combination with other proven acne fighting ingredients. such is the case in the kit i ordered from skintactix.com. i expect it to arrive tomorrow or the next day. its supposed to control acne from every angle - kill bacteria, reduce sebum production, prevent clogged pores, heal the skin, etc. their products are developed by a biochemist (specializing in skin) and a dermatologist, and both specialize in acne. i dont know if their products will work but i trust them more than i would trust burt.

MemberMember
(@juliet)

Posted : 07/12/2004 1:26 pm

ive used some of burts bees products.. including the blemish stick, the facial citrus scrub, the orange cleanser.. and the chapstick.. i gotta say i love the blemish stick and the chapstick.. the blemish stick is kinda pricey tho.. its like 16 bucks for that little tube.. which doesnt last very long.. like less than a month.. i hated the orange cleanser.. which i agree is way oily.. and the scub way to harsh.. yup.. just wanted to add my opinion

MemberMember
(@lydia)

Posted : 07/12/2004 1:31 pm

The Blemish Stick is OK, but only if you have a few spots which you can treat separately. I don't think it's really meant for more persistant acne.

MemberMember
(@anthrogal)

Posted : 07/12/2004 9:01 pm

Make sure to post and let us know how the skintactix goes. I went and bought an extra gentle, natural soap today, to let my skin calm down a bit. Hope it works. I've never had a problem with herbal products before, but I was really disappointed with Burts Bees. Good thing I bought the sample pack - I can just consider this a $13 chapstick!

MemberMember
(@sushi)

Posted : 07/13/2004 7:20 am

i use the garden tomato soap and citrus scrub. sometimes i use the garden tomato toner, but only once or twice a week, b/c i don't want to be too harsh on my skin

i really like the soap and the scrub- my skin is really resilient so the natural acids in the soap don't bother me, nor do the scrubbing granules in the citrus product. at least for my skin, exfoliating is key. for a while i used the tomato and scrub everyday in the shower, and my skin felt very smooth, and i had very little breakouts. i still used neutrogena on-the-spot for spot treatment. now that i've run ot of the scrub, my skin isn't doing too well. some small bumps are coming up, and overall texture is just not nice. i ordered more soap and scrub from drugstore.com... hopefully things will get better

MemberMember
(@foreversmiling)

Posted : 09/26/2014 3:26 pm

I tried Burt's Bee's face cleanser before and I used it for about a year. I wasn't crazy about it (it did nothing for my skin really) but I liked the fact that it was a natural product. I figured using that would be better than using other face washes with crazy amount of chemicals. After Burt's Bee's I tried Say Yes to Tomatoes, which wasn't really all that impressive either. You'll have your bad days with both brands. As for having an extreme breakout with Burt Bee's, I haven't experienced that but I did get pimples time to time (esp on my cheeks, which was really annoying!!)

MemberMember
(@toribrynna)

Posted : 11/03/2014 1:36 am

I also use the blemish stick. It broke me out for a while but I figured out it was because I was rubbing the ball applicator directly on each pimple, and therefore cross contaminating. I just put a little bit on a cotton pad or q-tip now to spot treat. It is very harsh though. In regards to their other products I've found that using natural face products really doesn't do much for really acne prone skin. It is made to make you feel better about what you are putting on your face, but in reality they specialize in so many products, they are just putting things out that work for the average person.

I haven't found anything over the counter that works for me. I did an eggwhite mask once that helped my acne a little. And just a regular dove soap bar did wonders for my skin. I think it depends on your skin, but sometimes just simplifying how you clean your face works best. Too many products can lead to a big mess.