Notifications
Clear all

Vaseline (petroleum jelly) is non-comedogenic (doesn't clog pore)

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:17 pm

I've removed a few posts from this thread.

Everybody needs to just simmer down a bit. We're just talking about Vaseline, here. There's nothing to get uppity or upset over, and certainly no reason to call names or flame people.

MemberMember
(@west-coast_skater)

Posted : 02/22/2010 7:40 pm

does anybody know how vaseline is made?

MemberMember
(@erin92)

Posted : 02/25/2010 2:25 am

Apparently it is made of wax and oil? haha I'm not really sure. I had no idea till I read this, that it can have serious risks inhaling it! I'm concerned because I'm going to go on Acutane and my doctor said to prevent bloody noses on it (which I am VERY concerned about because I already get like three a week during the winter) I should put vasaline on a q-tip and put some in my nose. I don't think I'm going to do that now haha

Anyways, I use vasaline allll the time. I remove eye makeup with it everyday and I think it makes me look more awake in the morning. I also use it for dry spots on my skin and it really help. I haven't really gotten pimples from it, or none that I can remember, so I am a supporter of this product! haha

MemberMember
(@bcbcbc)

Posted : 02/26/2010 10:28 am

You guys should definitely try Un-petroleum by Alba

MemberMember
(@prissy21)

Posted : 02/26/2010 11:09 am

i use vaseline all the time, the non fragranced one of course, and when i say i use it, i mean i plaster it all over my face after i shower cause my face gets really sry and stiff, and i;ve been doing this for months now and it hasnt caused any break out, and it helps the skin stay hydrated, and lets faceit, i dont wanna get early wrikles and the more supple and moist ur skin is, the less wrinkles u'll have when u're older. i put it around my eyes at night, and around my mouth to avoid the laugh line and it works great!

MemberMember
(@slave2makeup)

Posted : 03/31/2010 10:13 am

http://dermnetnz.org/acne/comedonal-acne.html

yeah it causes comedonal-acne. dont do it. dont mess with it.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 03/31/2010 10:52 am

http://dermnetnz.org/acne/comedonal-acne.html

yeah it causes comedonal-acne. dont do it. dont mess with it.

That site just says that it might aggravate comedonal acne, not that it causes it. As stated by several other posters, 100% petroleum jelly is non-comedogenic. The particles are too big to fit into and clog pores.

http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm#inglist (see 'petrolatum')

MemberMember
(@jayson88)

Posted : 04/05/2010 1:12 am

Apparently it is made of wax and oil? haha I'm not really sure. I had no idea till I read this, that it can have serious risks inhaling it! I'm concerned because I'm going to go on Acutane and my doctor said to prevent bloody noses on it (which I am VERY concerned about because I already get like three a week during the winter) I should put vasaline on a q-tip and put some in my nose. I don't think I'm going to do that now haha

Anyways, I use vasaline allll the time. I remove eye makeup with it everyday and I think it makes me look more awake in the morning. I also use it for dry spots on my skin and it really help. I haven't really gotten pimples from it, or none that I can remember, so I am a supporter of this product! haha

This is EXACTLY what my doctor said to me as well. I started accutane about a month ago and ive been doing it every single night since i started. So far i feel perfectly fine and will keep applying it. Never got dizzy or any headaches or anything of the sort. Only down side of doing this is that it tickles like hell applying it lol. You really dont have to have much on the q-tip. I also have a co-worker who told me his brother does it all the time and has been for years cause he gets frequent bloody noses due to dryness here in the Las Vegas desert.

Now im not trying to say that anyone SHOULD do it or that its perfectly safe, by any means. Anyone can react differently to just about anything. But if my dermatologist suggested this to me, then i have confidence in him that i'll be okay by doing so, and will continue to do so. I guess what it all comes down to when applying in or around the nose: "Use at your own risk/discretion".

MemberMember
(@dwiedow)

Posted : 09/29/2010 10:03 am

obviously you've realized its impossible to inhale a glob of petroleum jelly up your nose by posting in response. Even if you were some crack head that sniffed coke everyday, i'm sure you still would not have the suction power to suck a thick gooey jelly up your nose...it's kind of common sense?

Are you serious? It's the VAPORS. The VAPORS of petroleum jelly that should not be inhaled because it is known to cause respiratory issues. Please, refrain from the personal attacks. We're here to learn and help one another; not to insult and ridicule one another.

Oh, and by the way. I always thought petroleum jelly would clog pores. . . guess you learn something new everyday.

Are YOU serious? What VAPORS? Have you had ever tired Vaseline's petroleum jelly? Petroleum Jelly does not emit vapors. It's just that, simply a jelly like substance for moisturizing. It doesn't even have a smell so its physically impossible to inhale VAPORS. I guess you learned 2 new things today ;)

actually if u want to get technical and irritable with others on the forum trying to learn something then perhaps this should be said...

actually you dont have to have an odor emitted with any vapor at all....many vapors have no odor and can be dangerous such as carbon monoxide, methyl bromide, etc.....which are all fatal to most humans before you have any clue you are being poisoned

MemberMember
(@imfromnj)

Posted : 11/08/2010 11:43 am

Responding to below....

When I was little I used to get insane nosebleeds to the point were I was taken to the hospital for them and I even had this gel-like plug placed in my nose for a week or two. gross.

anyway... EVERY doctor told me to rub vaseline inside my nose with a q-tip. I had no idea there were fumes, or that is was unhealthy.

Well, Im still alive, with no life threatening illnesses, just acne... so Im thinking the vaseline was ok. lol.

I think ppl get too hung on whats safe and whats not.... think about all the crap u put into your body on a daily basis... be it junkfood or alcohol or cigarettes. I don't think it will be the vaseline that kills you.

If you are worried.... u can use saline nasal spray. that helps when im congested and dry. makes ur nostrils feel like u just went for a dip in the ocean lol. i prefer it to the icky feeling of vasleine in my nose any day.

This is EXACTLY what my doctor said to me as well. I started accutane about a month ago and ive been doing it every single night since i started. So far i feel perfectly fine and will keep applying it. Never got dizzy or any headaches or anything of the sort. Only down side of doing this is that it tickles like hell applying it lol. You really dont have to have much on the q-tip. I also have a co-worker who told me his brother does it all the time and has been for years cause he gets frequent bloody noses due to dryness here in the Las Vegas desert.

Now im not trying to say that anyone SHOULD do it or that its perfectly safe, by any means. Anyone can react differently to just about anything. But if my dermatologist suggested this to me, then i have confidence in him that i'll be okay by doing so, and will continue to do so. I guess what it all comes down to when applying in or around the nose: "Use at your own risk/discretion".

MemberMember
(@angelmichu)

Posted : 12/11/2011 7:14 pm

Responding to below....

When I was little I used to get insane nosebleeds to the point were I was taken to the hospital for them and I even had this gel-like plug placed in my nose for a week or two. gross.

anyway... EVERY doctor told me to rub vaseline inside my nose with a q-tip. I had no idea there were fumes, or that is was unhealthy.

Well, Im still alive, with no life threatening illnesses, just acne... so Im thinking the vaseline was ok. lol.

I think ppl get too hung on whats safe and whats not.... think about all the crap u put into your body on a daily basis... be it junkfood or alcohol or cigarettes. I don't think it will be the vaseline that kills you.

If you are worried.... u can use saline nasal spray. that helps when im congested and dry. makes ur nostrils feel like u just went for a dip in the ocean lol. i prefer it to the icky feeling of vasleine in my nose any day.

QUOTE (Jayson88 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:12 AM)

QUOTE (erin92 @ Feb 24 2010, 11:25 PM)

I feel that what you said is very true. I just made a post on vaseline, i tried searching this forums for a thread about it and didnt find any. But from what i've read about vaseline and what every1 has posted on this thread it seems that the comments against vaseline are based on suppositions and bad usage of it. Many doctor's would tell you not to use something or that something is bad for you, when they aren't sure if it is bad.. since after all.. if it IS bad.. well.. they're in trouble. So keep that in mind and instead of trusting what people say, look for facts.. search for the truth.

Now I'm not 100% sure, but from everything that I've read so far, it gives me more confidence to add this to my regimen. I might try it out and see how it goes. Since I had extreme dryness I decided to stop the regimen for a few weeks and let my skin heal. I'll try it again mainly because I've read a lot about BP and how it works and why its good for acne, and I feel like I need to find the way to use BP and not get extremely dry skin like i have been having.

MemberMember
(@sima)

Posted : 12/11/2011 7:39 pm

Vaseline has been known to clog pores, but it all depends on the person and how your skin reacts to a certain product. The only way to see if it clogs pores is to use it for a week or so and be alert for any changes in one's current skin condition. I personally use it to remove stubborn eye makeup and sometimes as an all over mask when I get really dry. I'm anticipating using a lot more of it now that winter is coming. The key to Vaseline is using a light amount.

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 12/13/2011 3:37 pm

My face and body does not respond well to Vaseline(mineral oil). It tends to get red, warm, and produce pin size pimple like spots. That however is me...for some it works extremely well. Skin structure is composed differently from one to the next. However if I use lotion on my lips prior to vaseline application it works splendid with no adverse problems. Vaseline seals the skin, creating a barrier between your skin and environmental elements. Which is why it such a great product for various skin problems. My skin is neither hydrated nor depleted when this product is used. It doesn't do much for rebuilding an already compromised skin. It's a great band-aid to protect 'a' problem-but not heal the problem. Again, that's just my skin and my opinion.

MemberMember
(@kayrae)

Posted : 12/14/2011 2:57 pm

Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly is natural and works just like regular petroleum jelly! just a thought. I use it and its never caused clogged pores. I try to minimize my use of petroleum products too, and this is an easy way. I used to use Vaseline all the time, nothing against it.

If your interested:

Alba Un-Petroleum Jelly!!!!

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 12/14/2011 3:09 pm

All I know is that it DOES break me out ... I remember that I found out 100% when I took of my makeup with it and boom next morning I had new big zits all over me . Late on I used it as an eye makeup remover and I remember getting clogged pores and zits near my eyes . around my nose and I never get acne on my nose . So I stopped and I didnt get those clogged pores and zits anymore . I cant use it and I always watch out if products contain petrolatum <<< i think thats how its called . Sigh* I just have sensitive skin and I cant use many ingredients on my face and thats one of them eusa_naughty.gif . I know people here and others who use mineral oil and other "pore-clogging" ingredients and they get no breakouts eusa_think.gif so i guess its different for everyone but I know that I have sensitive skin and am prone to cosmetic acne / comedonal acne .....

MemberMember
(@gemmyjunebug)

Posted : 12/14/2011 6:20 pm

All I know is that it DOES break me out ... I remember that I found out 100% when I took of my makeup with it and boom next morning I had new big zits all over me . Late on I used it as an eye makeup remover and I remember getting clogged pores and zits near my eyes . around my nose and I never get acne on my nose . So I stopped and I didnt get those clogged pores and zits anymore . I cant use it and I always watch out if products contain petrolatum <<< i think thats how its called . Sigh* I just have sensitive skin and I cant use many ingredients on my face and thats one of them eusa_naughty.gif . I know people here and others who use mineral oil and other "pore-clogging" ingredients and they get no breakouts eusa_think.gif so i guess its different for everyone but I know that I have sensitive skin and am prone to cosmetic acne / comedonal acne .....

Exactly the same. I find glycerin oil products work well with my sensitive/reactive skin.

MemberMember
(@creativedisplayname)

Posted : 12/15/2011 1:25 am

Exactly the same. I find glycerin oil products work well with my sensitive/reactive skin.

Yeah it sucks :| do you have a good moisturizer that you reccomend ? lol since im on the hunt for one but many just dont work :(

MemberMember
(@casablancaa)

Posted : 12/15/2011 4:42 am

Ummmmm...Vaseline creates a barrier, that is practically the definition...we put it on our lips so it traps in the moisture, we put it on our hairlines when we dye our hair so the dyes don't stain our skin. It would clog pores, if you put it on top of your skin, it creates a barrier where the bacteria get trapped inside, and out sprouts a pimple. I know when I had severe eczema, although vaseline would temporarily "relieve" the itching, it was not recommended by doctors because it doesn't allow the skin to properly breathe.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 10/19/2012 2:55 am

bump. I wonder if vaseline applied directly to pimples helps them heal.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/21/2012 10:08 am

I personally think 100% petroleum jelly is absolutely useless, it just sits on top of my skin, doesn't absorb at all...I don't even use it on my lips. I have nothing against creams that have some petroleum jelly in them, as long as it's formulated so it absorbs into my skin.

MemberMember
(@emmylouise)

Posted : 10/28/2012 5:51 pm

Personally, i won't go near it. It just creates a film over the skin. Look at what it is, its the stuff the inside the barrels after oil is brought up out of the earth.

MemberMember
(@armadillo)

Posted : 10/29/2012 3:33 pm

bump. I wonder if vaseline applied directly to pimples helps them heal.

Petroleum jelly can be used as a protective film over wounds and coldsores, I imagine it would work the same way with spots, but it's unlikely that it will heal it. I sometimes put it on my coldsores so they don't infect the rest of my lip.

MemberMember
(@seanyboy)

Posted : 11/02/2012 10:09 pm

Hate vaseline with a capital H. greasy!!!!! :(

MemberMember
(@poptartie)

Posted : 11/03/2012 5:35 am

I like Vaseline for some things but not for others. I have heard people say that it causes breakouts for them, I've heard people say that it heals zits. I agree that it is up to the individual to see how it works for them and for what purpose. Let's be honest, the simple act of living and breathing means we come into contact with millions of things that can potentially harm us. Some people will react, some people won't. My great-great grandmother lived to the age of 106. She swore by Vaseline and used it for EVERYTHING, all of her life and so has my great grandmother, grandmother and mother. They all have beautiful skin and no apparent ill effects from petroleum jelly. If anyone is worried about it, don't use it. There are plenty of other options. If you look up any product you are likely to find doom and gloom scary ass side effects. It's enough to make you not want to eat, drink, breath or touch anything.