AHA is not a requir...

Notifications
Clear all

AHA is not a required element

MemberMember
(@kjs5048)

Posted : 08/08/2010 8:42 pm

Thanks for the update dan.

Neutorgena Healthy Skin is NOT oil-free, is there a risk it could cause break outs? I want to use it as my moisturizer with the regimen because of the spf and the AHA but after reading I also have some concerns about being able to use it twice daily? My skin is very very un-sensitive. Nothing really dries it out or irritates it much. So I'm not worried about that. Do you guys think it will be OK to use twice a day? or should I use it just once (in the morning or night?) in combination with a more gentle moisturizer?

Thanks a lot,

Kenny

MemberMember
(@yvieve)

Posted : 08/21/2010 9:22 pm

Neutorgena Healthy Skin is NOT oil-free, is there a risk it could cause break outs? I want to use it as my moisturizer with the regimen because of the spf and the AHA but after reading I also have some concerns about being able to use it twice daily? My skin is very very un-sensitive. Nothing really dries it out or irritates it much. So I'm not worried about that. Do you guys think it will be OK to use twice a day? or should I use it just once (in the morning or night?) in combination with a more gentle moisturizer?

Thanks a lot,

Kenny

I actually just purchased the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with spf15 and AHA, and it says on the container "Oil-free" as well as Non-Comedogenic, so you have nothing to worry about.

MemberMember
(@yvieve)

Posted : 08/21/2010 9:22 pm

Thanks a lot,

Kenny

I actually just purchased the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Face Lotion with spf15 and AHA, and it says on the container "Oil-free" as well as Non-Comedogenic, so you have nothing to worry about.

MemberMember
(@nitemare)

Posted : 08/23/2010 8:07 pm

I have been use Dan's BP for 5 years+. I finally bought Dans AHA+ and added it to my routine and did it work great! Alot less flare ups, less redness, very clear. Ive only been on it for about 3 weeks and big difference. I use BP + Eurcerin + Joba in morning. I use BP + AHA at night. Excellent routine I feel for it. Thanks Dan once again for a great product in AHA!

MemberMember
(@rohland)

Posted : 11/03/2010 6:22 pm

This might not be the right place..and it's probably been answered somewhere but i'm lazy and i'm just waiting for my BP to dry so i can apply AHA and go to bed..but I've been looking around the internet..and there some articles suggest BP is not a good "layer" treatment.

Basically suggesting it's not a good idea to use BP and then add some other acne topical medication on top of it as it can cancel out the effects of both.

How much of a problem is this when using the BP+AHA combo ?

Is waiting 15-20 minutes for the BP to get absorbed (as advised) enough to get the most out of the treatment and does the AHA not conflict with the working of the BP gel?

Thanks guys :)

MemberMember
(@sandman21)

Posted : 02/12/2011 8:10 pm

I understand AHA reduces flakes and helps even skin tone...does it help with 'BP associated redness' too, or is that too much for one product?

MemberMember
(@happyhappystarfish)

Posted : 03/20/2011 1:50 pm

Reply to Dan's request for suggested Moisturizers

Clinique DDM Gel is a pretty good one. Pricey though. Olay Sensitive is also good. Both are oil-free, petrolatum-free and fragrance free. But both are so light they don't help with the flakiness in the winter and will start to sting when skin is raw from all the chemical treatments for acne and acids for sloughing dead flaky skin. Cetaphil Moisturising Cream (regular one, none of those SPF and extra stuff) is good for winter dryness bec of the petrolatum. I also used Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream bec I recently developed really bad itchy skin. Loved the ultra soothing powers and it's fragrance free. Too bad there is something that's causing tiny white bumps in the corners of my lower lip area.

MemberMember
(@kat66)

Posted : 03/30/2011 5:19 pm

try aveeno cream. i have the most dry skin ever and i have slight eczema around my eyes. since starting to use bp my face dried up ALOT and my normally dry skin became sooo bad, but because it was clearing my skin i did not stop. i became very very dry even after putting tons of moisturizer and almond oil (which i love makes the skin glow and does not clog pores). anyway i was going to buy cetaphil but the lady took one look at me and said try aveeno it works great. and after that my dry skin all came off when i washed my face and a new fresh lighter face was revealed, well its a improvement as i have brown marks left from acne, and they are lighter wee peeee lol. and it did not break me out it felt sooo soothing on my skin but like i said i already have a dry skin type so this might not be good for oily skin. i dont knoww lol

MemberMember
(@millefeuille)

Posted : 04/21/2011 4:05 pm

Hmmm... Maybe not AHA but BHA? Since people with acne can't use any type of scrub, some other kind of exfoliation it is necessary. What would we do with all those dead cells that are stored on the surface of the skin preventing the other products, especially treatments, to absorb properly? Benzoyl Peroxide can penetrate the skin even when the skin is clogged with old and dead cells? Maybe is not required everyday, but some other day, should be.

MemberMember
(@riveragolden)

Posted : 11/16/2011 2:10 pm

No elements are important and required until the product demands that..It's depend on what we or our skin required..AHA is not a required element but it is advisable to have in product for good result..

MemberMember
(@zoeyk)

Posted : 08/13/2012 8:49 am

Don't you sometimes get jealous of people who don' t do anythings special to keep theri skin daily, use no specialized products, yet always have clear, perfect skin?

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 09/25/2012 7:44 pm

^ For those of us with very oily skin, adding extra oil is just counterproductive, imo.

About the only oils Dan feels are really safe are jojoba oil and mineral oil.

If your skin is fine with oils, great! I was just stating my opinion in that post from 6 years ago. :)

MemberMember
(@johnny199r)

Posted : 11/07/2012 11:59 pm

I tried using Dan's AHA+ on my frehead as it cleared up my Bacne. It left about 6 red scars on my forehead I can't get rid of. I only used it for 2-3 weeks. I wish it was never invented.

MemberMember
(@xcharliex)

Posted : 12/27/2012 7:23 pm

I struggle using AHA, I seem to sting and itch for hours afterwards.

MemberMember
(@flyboy)

Posted : 12/28/2012 2:15 pm

I struggle using AHA, I seem to sting and itch for hours afterwards.

I have the same exact problem. It stings for so long, that it keeps me from falling asleep. I think that is probably a good indication that I should stop using it!

MemberMember
(@suko)

Posted : 01/17/2013 8:29 am

Have tried AHA. The results weren't as good as with my current treatment. I also find out that not touching face has a SIGNIFICANT affect on development of acne.

MemberMember
(@parallax-dreams)

Posted : 02/13/2013 9:08 am

I used the AHA from Acne.org on my face - is this okay? I do it after the BP, and don't bother with moisturizer. I'm in NY right now, it's winter time. My skin STILL doesn't get dry. I have really oily skin, especially the clogged pores on my nose. Will the AHA help this? Would I be better off switching to BHA/salycylic acid instead? I have heard that might be better for using on the face after Benzoyl Peroxide.

Please advise? Merci.

MemberMember
(@parallax-dreams)

Posted : 02/14/2013 2:50 am

Dan? Anyone?

MemberMember
(@mfxfitness)

Posted : 02/14/2013 10:37 am

I used the AHA from Acne.org on my face - is this okay? I do it after the BP, and don't bother with moisturizer. I'm in NY right now, it's winter time. My skin STILL doesn't get dry. I have really oily skin, especially the clogged pores on my nose. Will the AHA help this? Would I be better off switching to BHA/salycylic acid instead? I have heard that might be better for using on the face after Benzoyl Peroxide.

Please advise? Merci.

Hello and welcome to the acne.org community! The means in which you use AHA is fine, so long as you are properly moisturized. Yes, the combination of BP and AHA will help to reduce clogged pores significantly. If you are doing the regimen, please refrain from adding additional products outside of those suggested on the regimen, as it may cause irritation. Hope this helps and keep us up to date on your progress... :)

MemberMember
(@parallax-dreams)

Posted : 02/14/2013 1:37 pm

Please advise? Merci.

Hello and welcome to the acne.org community! The means in which you use AHA is fine, so long as you are properly moisturized. Yes, the combination of BP and AHA will help to reduce clogged pores significantly. If you are doing the regimen, please refrain from adding additional products outside of those suggested on the regimen, as it may cause irritation. Hope this helps and keep us up to date on your progress... smile.png

I didn't ask to add additional products - I asked if I could substitute in BHA rather than the AHA, and if this would be a good idea.

From what I have read, BHA seems to be more effective for treating clogged pores, like those on my nose. They're not necessarily blackheads, just fairly large and clogged. I dunno if that constitutes blackheads or not - 'cause while they are darker in color than my skin, they're not really black.