10 Weeks On Regimen...

Notifications
Clear all

10 Weeks On Regimen - Still Have Dry Skin!?

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 04/17/2014 3:24 pm

So ive been on the regimen for 10 weeks now. About halfway through, i started only applying BP all over my face at night, and in the morning i spot treat with BP. I still cleanse and apply moisturizer twice a day though. Anyways, i still have pretty dry skin since ive been on the regimen. I have definetly seen improvements, im almost clear of active acne now, just this really stubborn spot that hasnt gone away for like a week :( and mostly red spots of PIH from past acne. After i cleanse and dry my face, my skin feels tight and just dry, then i can start to see dry or dead skin which appears as white-er areas on my face of skin -- you know when you see it. My face still gets slightly flaky sometimes like when i wake up i can see some of the dryer spots become kinda flaky. My face is naturally oily, i have combination skin, my T zone is very oily, especially my forehead and nose; then my lower half of my face is dry if i dont moisturize, area around my mouth, chin, and now my cheeks are becoming dry, so it seems to be getting worse and spreading.

I really dont know what the hell to do. Is there a change in products or routine i should/have to make? I was using AHA+ at night, but i stopped because it makes my face red (common), actually makes my acne scars more red and defined, and i think it was actually making my acne heal slower or worse. Should i change the cleanser i use or the moisturizer? My full regimen is listed in my signature, but ill post here in case you cant see it. WHAT SHOULD I DO? Its like nobody else has this problem, shouldnt my face have already gotten adjusted and not be dry anymore!? Please help!!

~My Regimen~

Morning –¼–¼ Different from Night Routine/Regimen to keep skin from becoming too dry and flaky.

1. Olay Foaming Face Wash--Sensitive Skin

2. Spot & patch treat with Dans BP and Dans AHA+

3. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

At Night –¼–¼

1. Olay Foaming Face Wash--Sensitive Skin

2. Dans BP - 1 index finger length.

3. CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

MemberMember
(@finguy93)

Posted : 04/17/2014 4:40 pm

Check the ingredients in your cleanser and compare them to the acne.org "to be avoided" -list, if you haven't already done that. Some ingredients can cause extra dryness when used with BP.

I'm on my 10th week as well, and during the day I have to apply more moisturizer every 30-60mins because of the flakiness/dryness of the skin. After a few hours I have extremely moist skin flakes all over my face It's still better than acne though.. Haven't tried jojoba oil yet, have you?

MemberMember
(@lennie94)

Posted : 04/17/2014 5:06 pm

I have been suffering from acne for like 6 years and just last year my dermatologist prescribed me Retin A, Acanya and a Sulfur mask. The Retin A and Acanya while hopeful completely burned my skin. I really wanted to stop because my face was literally all red all the time, and yeah I got worse before getting better, but the better did come even if it only lasted a year. As for the dryness, sorry my face is always dry. I did try these moisturizers and they seemed to help

1. Garnier moisture rescue its like a refreshing pink gel, I really loved it, it did leave my skin refreshed and not dry

2. Sephora Instant Moisture At the beginning I was really liking it but now I would definitely go back to Garnier moisture rescue. Sephora Instant moisture cream doesnt really moisturize as well as Garnier brand

I am really sorry, I have dealt with dry skin and acne and I can really relate, I know personally for me my dryness is persistent, just keep going with the treatment it took me 5 months to see complete results

Good Luck!

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 04/18/2014 9:00 am

Jojoba oil. Use it. It can help a lot with dry flaky skin. Please read here: http://www.acne.org/faq.html#dry

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 04/19/2014 1:18 am

Oddly enough, my 10th week was last week and it was the driest it has ever been. I was constantly itching my cheeks. What I did was rub jojoba oil on the dry spots for 2 minutes, the flakes would come off then I would cleanse my face as normal (taking off the oil, as it broke me out previously). This got rid of all dryness for me!

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 04/19/2014 2:03 am

Oddly enough, my 10th week was last week and it was the driest it has ever been. I was constantly itching my cheeks. What I did was rub jojoba oil on the dry spots for 2 minutes, the flakes would come off then I would cleanse my face as normal (taking off the oil, as it broke me out previously). This got rid of all dryness for me!

Hmm. I might try jojoba oil, alot of people say how good it is, but ive never tried it. Do you also mix it with moisturizer or use it straight up as a moisturizer ever? Also, have you had dry skin alot before that week, or did it just start suddenly? Are you still dry at all? Please answer those, itll really help me out. Thanks!

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 04/19/2014 9:42 pm

Oddly enough, my 10th week was last week and it was the driest it has ever been. I was constantly itching my cheeks. What I did was rub jojoba oil on the dry spots for 2 minutes, the flakes would come off¦ then I would cleanse my face as normal (taking off the oil, as it broke me out previously). This got rid of all dryness for me!

Hmm. I might try jojoba oil, alot of people say how good it is, but ive never tried it. Do you also mix it with moisturizer or use it straight up as a moisturizer ever? Also, have you had dry skin alot before that week, or did it just start suddenly? Are you still dry at all? Please answer those, itll really help me out. Thanks!

Hello! I actually don't use jojoba oil on a regular basis, just when I'm having extra dry skin days. I mix equal amounts of AHA + my moisturizer onto my fingertips and use that as my moisturizer, every evening and some mornings (when the BP is too hard to spread, balls up). I've experienced a bit of dryness, nothing unbearable, but the 10th week was by far the worst. Perhaps because I started using AHA every evening, rather than working myself up to use it. And nope, not experiencing any dryness any more at all :)! Try the tip of rubbing jojoba oil into your skin for 2 minutes, then cleanse, and see if it helps! Good luck

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 04/19/2014 10:11 pm

Hello! I actually don't use jojoba oil on a regular basis, just when I'm having extra dry skin days. I mix equal amounts of AHA + my moisturizer onto my fingertips and use that as my moisturizer, every evening and some mornings (when the BP is too hard to spread, balls up). I've experienced a bit of dryness, nothing unbearable, but the 10th week was by far the worst. Perhaps because I started using AHA every evening, rather than working myself up to use it. And nope, not experiencing any dryness any more at all ! Try the tip of rubbing jojoba oil into your skin for 2 minutes, then cleanse, and see if it helps! Good luck

Well that sounds pretty good. I dont even use BP in the morning anymore, it just makes my skin extra dry and gives me flakes now, also the sun makes my skin noticeably red even if i use SPF, so i just stopped using BP in the morning. By the way, do you use an SPF lotion or moisturizer after BP in the morning, if so what kind? Every SPF moisturizer ive tried either wont spread well at all, still becomes noticeably white, dries my skin out even more, or makes my skin super shiny... sucks.

Anyways, have you noticed a pattern of drying? Like maybe every two weeks you become excessively dry, or any other pattern? Or is it just random?

Oh last thing (sorry), do you think the AHA is actually a cause of drying too? When i use it, i actually notice only negative effects on my skin, weird because its supposedly an amazing product and is supposed to help with dry skin and flaky skin.

MemberMember
(@ukdreamin)

Posted : 04/22/2014 1:19 am

Oddly enough, my 10th week was last week and it was the driest it has ever been. I was constantly itching my cheeks. What I did was rub jojoba oil on the dry spots for 2 minutes, the flakes would come off¦ then I would cleanse my face as normal (taking off the oil, as it broke me out previously). This got rid of all dryness for me!

Hello! I actually don't use jojoba oil on a regular basis, just when I'm having extra dry skin days. I mix equal amounts of AHA + my moisturizer onto my fingertips and use that as my moisturizer, every evening and some mornings (when the BP is too hard to spread, balls up). I've experienced a bit of dryness, nothing unbearable, but the 10th week was by far the worst. Perhaps because I started using AHA every evening, rather than working myself up to use it. And nope, not experiencing any dryness any more at all ! Try the tip of rubbing jojoba oil into your skin for 2 minutes, then cleanse, and see if it helps! Good luck

Well that sounds pretty good. I dont even use BP in the morning anymore, it just makes my skin extra dry and gives me flakes now, also the sun makes my skin noticeably red even if i use SPF, so i just stopped using BP in the morning. By the way, do you use an SPF lotion or moisturizer after BP in the morning, if so what kind? Every SPF moisturizer ive tried either wont spread well at all, still becomes noticeably white, dries my skin out even more, or makes my skin super shiny... sucks.

Anyways, have you noticed a pattern of drying? Like maybe every two weeks you become excessively dry, or any other pattern? Or is it just random?

Oh last thing (sorry), do you think the AHA is actually a cause of drying too? When i use it, i actually notice only negative effects on my skin, weird because its supposedly an amazing product and is supposed to help with dry skin and flaky skin.

Hello! Well I'm glad to hear that you could manage to use BP just once a day and not break out - I'm far too scared to take that risk as I'm still breaking out, although much less than before, even while using a finger's length of BP in the morning and at night. I use my cerave moisturizer in the morning, no SPF. I'm a female so the makeup that I use actually has SPF17 in it.. although I will be looking for a moisturizer with SPF in the next few weeks as I'm leaving for Europe and will definitely need it. I have had success with cetaphil's daily moisturizer with spf a few months ago, I liked that one.. not sure how it will hold up over the amount of BP I use now though. Anyways, please let me know if you do find a moisturizer with spf that works for you! I'd love if you shared :)

Nope, no pattern of drying here! Just completely random! And yes, I do believe the AHA caused me a bit of dryness the first week I used it, but now that I've been mixing it with my moisturizer at night, it really helps a lot with the dryness and makes my skin feel so soft! It's one of my favourite products.. you should give it another go, use it maybe once or twice a week mixed with your moisturizer at night and see how your skin reacts! Then gradually work yourself up to however much you want to use it (I personally use it every night :) )

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 04/22/2014 9:10 pm

Hello! Well I'm glad to hear that you could manage to use BP just once a day and not break out - I'm far too scared to take that risk as I'm still breaking out, although much less than before, even while using a finger's length of BP in the morning and at night. I use my cerave moisturizer in the morning, no SPF. I'm a female so the makeup that I use actually has SPF17 in it.. although I will be looking for a moisturizer with SPF in the next few weeks as I'm leaving for Europe and will definitely need it. I have had success with cetaphil's daily moisturizer with spf a few months ago, I liked that one.. not sure how it will hold up over the amount of BP I use now though. Anyways, please let me know if you do find a moisturizer with spf that works for you! I'd love if you shared

Nope, no pattern of drying here! Just completely random! And yes, I do believe the AHA caused me a bit of dryness the first week I used it, but now that I've been mixing it with my moisturizer at night, it really helps a lot with the dryness and makes my skin feel so soft! It's one of my favourite products.. you should give it another go, use it maybe once or twice a week mixed with your moisturizer at night and see how your skin reacts! Then gradually work yourself up to however much you want to use it (I personally use it every night )

Thanks. Yeah, im also surprised that im okay with BP once a day *knocks on wood* I still spot treat in the morning with BP and AHA+ though. I use cerave too both night and day. I started only applying it on my dry areas (about lower half of face) in the morning though, since i dont use BP all over my face, and my oily areas seem better, obviously since there is no moisturizer on them. Although, im worried that my oily areas that im not applying moisturizer to in the morning will increase oil production.

As for a new moisturizer for the daytime, im thinking of Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily SPF 30 or without SPF there is the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel, both by Paula's Choice and both are for oily/combo skin and claim to become matte. Im just worried that they wont moisturize enough or will even dry me out like i experienced with a matteifying face sunblock before. They have a lot of great sounding products for oily skin, but they are kinda expensive. Still, check them out and check out the site for any other products for other face care concerns. http://www.paulaschoice.com/skin-types/oily/?skintypeorconcern1=Oily

MemberMember
(@cupcakejess)

Posted : 04/25/2014 12:26 am

I had extreme dryness and flaking around two months after I started the regimen. I used AHA and jojoba oil, but it didn't completely eliminate the dryness and flaking. Then, I started using BP only at night. It really helped me. It will make you break out some at first to change from twice a day to once, but it is worth it. I don't have dry skin or flakes anymore, and am still clearing up now. Don't give up on the regimen, it really works wonders.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 04/25/2014 12:38 am

I had extreme dryness and flaking around two months after I started the regimen. I used AHA and jojoba oil, but it didn't completely eliminate the dryness and flaking. Then, I started using BP only at night. It really helped me. It will make you break out some at first to change from twice a day to once, but it is worth it. I don't have dry skin or flakes anymore, and am still clearing up now. Don't give up on the regimen, it really works wonders.

Thanks! ive started doing AHA+ and moisturizer mixed together at night again. Havent tried jojoba oil yet, but will soon hopefully. Im also using BP at night only too, im sure if i did it twice daily i would have less acne by now, if not none. Im almost clear of all actives now, but little pimples keep popping up randomly... so frustrating!

No way im giving up any time soon!