CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion reviews

4.3/5 - 139 reviews

Brand: CeraVe

Purified Water, Glycerin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth 20 and Cetearyl Alcohol, Ceramide 3, Ceramide 6 II, Ceramide 1, Hyaluronic Acid, Cholesterol, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Polyglyceryl 3 Diisostearate, Potassium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phytosphingosine, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum.

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, 8 fl oz
updated: 10/24/2014 23:01 UTC
CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion, 3 fl oz
updated: 10/24/2014 23:01 UTC

Not Hydrating Enough
Reviewed on September 27, 2014

It doesn't make your skin look shiny, which is nice. It's not moisturizing in itself but provides a decent amount of moisture for its weight. Stung my skin slightly. For normal to regularly dry skin, it should be OK, but for benzoyl peroxide-type dry skin, it does not suffice. My skin was so dry one morning, I applied it as soon as I got out of the shower (skipping an application benzoyl peroxide) in order to lock the moisture from the shower into my skin, but after some time, my skin still became plagued with dry patches. I could barely open my mouth without the skin around it peeling off. I even applied 3 or 4 coats of it: This still wasn't enough. On another note, it contains comedogenic ingredients. Bottom line: This moisturizer is good for normal to regularly dry skin from dry climate, dehydration, et cetera—not severely dry skin that you get from using a generous amount of benzoyl peroxide.

Works for me!
Reviewed on June 17, 2014

Let me just start by saying i have suuuuper dry skin.

I got a sample of this moisturizer from the medi spa I go to. I like it because it actually goes into the skin and makes my skin feel hydrated and comfortable, versus just sitting on top and making my skin feel sticky and dry. I will definitely purchase a bigger bottle.

Love this stuff!
Reviewed on March 13, 2014

While taking Claravis I started to get dry patches on my skin, almost like eczema, that were absolutely miserable. My dermetologist swore by this lotion (which was not available in many stores just yet) and he bought this stuff directly from the manufacture to sell for cheap to his patients. I was only paying about $8 if I remember correctly (versus the $15 in the store these days), so it was worth a shot. It helped so much!! Haven't found another lotion that gave me more relief, and I continue to use it post Claravis!

So lovely!
Reviewed on March 13, 2014

I switched to this lotion after acne.org's moisturizer just didn't work out for me. I was flaky and had extremely dry, hard patches from the bp and it only took two days for this stuff to get rid of those. It is very light and hydrates very well for me. I also found that it goes on very nicely. Some people say that it balls up a little, but I've never had that problem with this lotion (but perhaps because I only use 1 pump of bp once per day).

I am actually just completely in love with this moisturizer. It feels so good on the skin, absorbs well and makes my skin sooooo unbelievably smooth. It really has helped perfect the texture of my skin. It wears well under makeup and the 12oz bottle will go a nice long way. I've also not had any problem with it clogging my pores despite the combination of red flag ingredients. I'm sure that they might make some people break out, but it seems I'm not particularly bothered by them.

Long story short, I got million dollar skin for about $10.

Seemed good but clogged my pores after 2 weeks
Reviewed on February 14, 2014

A few people asked me to try this moisturizer so I gave it a go. Whenever I test products I do my absolute best not to change any other variables, so I just did The Regimen exactly, but swapped out Acne.org Moisturizer for CeraVe. For the first week it was great. CeraVe has a very light feel going on which is welcomed because thin products reduce physical irritation during application. It also looked fine on my skin all day and didn't make me shiny like some other moisturizers have. It also is very, very good at moisturizing. I could use only 1 and 1/2 pumps of it for my entire face and neck and stay hydrated all day.

However, it has Ceteareth-20 and Cetearyl Alcohol prominently listed on the ingredient deck, so I was a little worried it would clog my pores. The combo of these 2 ingredients, which are very often used together, rank as a 4 out of 5 for comedogenicity (potential to clog pores and cause acne). Since I know it can take about 2 weeks for acne to appear, I just enjoyed the product for the first week and well into the second week. Then wham. I got some pretty bad clogged pores around my nose...both sides of my nose and under my nose as well. The look was a "thickness" to my skin, with the beginnings of what would be stubborn breakouts starting to come on. This is exactly what I would expect from a pore clogging product.

Once I realized at about the second week mark that my skin was clogging up pretty badly, I stopped using it. That night I slathered on Acne.org AHA+ (10% glycolic acid) in place of moisturizer, and by the next morning I woke up looking much better. For the next 2-3 days I applied Acne.org Moisturizer mixed half & half with AHA+ and got my skin right back to normal and clear.

I'm giving CeraVe 2 stars only because it does not work well within The Regimen and from my experience is not good for acne-prone skin. As a general moisturizer for people who are not acne-prone, I think it's great.

by clided on 07/25/2014 14:00
I'm extremely acne prone and this stuff works for me!
Not for me
Reviewed on February 11, 2014

Everyone is different, I didn't tolerate this well (more breakouts; more severe breakouts). I gave it two stars because it might be a good non-face moisturizer.

BEST MOISTURIZER FOR ACNE PRONE SKIN!!!
Reviewed on January 14, 2014

This moisturizer is the only moisturizer that has never caused me to break out. it hydrates my skin perfectly without making me oily.

Really great moisturizer!!
Reviewed on January 11, 2014

CeraVe is a great moisturizing lotion. I had tried so many moisturizers before trying CeraVe but I'm so glad I tried it. It's a little pricy for a broke college student like myself but it's with it and lasts you a pretty good amount of time. It's very moisturizing, yet very light. I suffer from acne yet lately my skin would get really dry especially after using the regimes Bp. This really went well with the regime and it does not break me out. I would recommend this for people with sensitive skin who need some moister.

SO glad I was recommended this!
Reviewed on January 9, 2014

I have had clear skin my whole life and have only broken out once badly in high school and then again recently being 21. Apparently I break out pretty bad due to a dairy sensitivity combined with hormones( just quit birth control). Anyways, I was put on oral antibiotics and two creams and my skin was extremely dry and flaky. My face being flaky made my acne look worse. I also tried tea tree oil which burnt my skin and I needed to heal that as well. Needless to say I searched and tried numerous products before being recommended this moisturizer. Total Godsend for me! My flakes were gone and minor burns were repairing themselves within one day! Now a couple days later, my skin is a huge difference. I would definitely recommend!

Good quality lightweight moisturizer
Reviewed on November 15, 2013

I've recently begun on the Regimen and started before I had a quality moisturizer. My skin was getting REALLY dry and I wanted to get rid of the visual effects of the hardening of the BP. The moisturizer I was using just wasn't cutting it, so I went out and got this one. After about 3 days my skin is almost back to it's normal moisture levels. It's not greasy though may not be heavy duty enough for the depths of winter. It hasn't caused breakouts or clogged pores. The Glycerin does react slightly with the BP on my face creating some mild tingling or burning if my skin is in bad shape but it fades.

by Nails on 12/17/2013 15:46
Ohhh, so that's why sometimes after i use my Cetaphyl lotion (2nd ingredient is Glycerin) I get extreme burning on my neck and chest!