Notifications
Clear all

regimen scam?

MemberMember
(@paranoidandroid)

Posted : 09/22/2010 9:16 pm

I just read something... not all acne is acne vulgaris related... so BP won't do anything... if its caused by over active oil glands then accutane/Retin-A and like diffrin would work because they shrink oil glands... I may be REALLY wrong but I read that on a different website and found it interesting...

I have oily skin, and Differin did nothing for me. Splashing water on my face had more of a positive effect on my acne than did Differin. It worked well for about 1 week, then nothing. Do you know what did work for me? Epiduo, which is a mix of 2.5% BP and 0.1% Adapalene (Differin). I know for a fact that it wasn't the adapalene that was helping, so I knew it was the BP, so I tried Dan's BP, and it's working well so far.

MemberMember
(@chikyuu)

Posted : 09/23/2010 2:18 am

First and foremost, Dan doesn't push that you need to use his products. He tells you which alternatives to buy. If anything that's a big red flag that he doesn't care if you use his products for the most part or not. If he really wanted to scam people I don't think he'd say it's ok to use other brand's products with the Regimen.

Second, he prices them as cheap as possible for people. Two month's worth, 16 oz of benzoyl peroxide gel for $30 isn't bad.

Third, he's always looking for feedback, positive and negative. A lot of people hated his moisturizer, so he completely reformulated it. It kind of shows he cares.

Fourth, he's not promising results in 10 days like most scams. He realistically says it takes a few months to work, and offers a money back guarantee.

Fifth, he is a very active member of the community on this site. He's got an active blog, makes video blogs, posts on the forums, etc. So it's not like he's some big wig sitting at a desk in an office smoking a big cigar that you've never heard from or seen before. He's an active member participating as closely with his customers as possible. That's not very common among scams.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 8:47 am

Starting to sound like a broken record.

All good cult leaders brainwash their followers to think the same.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 8:54 am

It is a little concerning that all of you are very cynical about your derms. Trust your docs, they are trained professionals. Dan is not a doctor. His "regimen" is basically telling you to gently wash your face, apply topical treatment, and refrain from overly touching your face during the day. Nothing groundbreaking there.

I was on accutane for about 6 months and it cleared my skin 100%. I've been off of it for a couple months and a couple pimples are starting to form. I considered the "regimen" prematurely, probably. Too much BP was way too irritating for my skin type. A lesser amount of a higher BP dose is working much better.

Not sure why all of you took my post so personally. Turned hateful pretty quickly.

The biggest thing I learned through posting in this forum is that most of you who post on here can't spell or put together a grammatically correct sentence.

I'll look into a correlation between acne and intelligence and report back.

*moderator edit*

Oh, look at Mr. Smartypants! You must be so much smarter than us dragon! I mean, just look how creative your username is! I wish I could understand your full post, but my tiny brain couldn't comprehend all of your words.

On another note, I find it funny that you insult the grammar of users on this forum, and yet you couldn't even capitalize the thread title.

And the reason we took your comment personally is because you are saying that Dan is trying to scam us. You must be right. I'm sure Dan Kern Inc, the company that has made numerous changes to their products and containers solely because the customers wanted him to, is trying to scam us. I mean, just look at THIS. Only scam companies go out of their way to answer numerous questions asked by the consumers.

Changing a bad product to meet your customers' demands isn't exactly a novel idea...corporations have been doing it for years...that's how you stay in business

He's just trying to cash in on desperate people. Sorry you haven't realized it.

Neither his regimen nor his products are what is clearing your skin. It's common sense skin treatment and the placebo effect.

MemberMember
(@tdot)

Posted : 09/23/2010 10:02 am

I've been a memeber of this site since 2005, and I was on the regimen and it worked for me... however, I wanted a natural solution, so I stopped and started chnaging my diet instead.

Anyway, wehn I started as a member here Dan didnt even have these products invented yet! The reason he made these produst was becaus ethe people of acne.org ASKED HIM TO. They wanted more gentle more affordable products, and Dan has provided that for the people. Dan is a good person and only wants to help us. He was an acne sufferer too.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 10:21 am

Is that an argument?

People are desperate and ask him to make something, so he does...and you buy it.

He didn't invent BP..

How is every one so unwillingly to believe that there MIGHT be something fishy going on?

MemberMember
(@chikyuu)

Posted : 09/23/2010 12:50 pm

Is that an argument?

People are desperate and ask him to make something, so he does...and you buy it.

He didn't invent BP..

How is every one so unwillingly to believe that there MIGHT be something fishy going on?

How are you one person so "unwillingly" to believe that there ISN'T something fishy going on?

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 1:26 pm

Read the hundreds of pages of people who havent had regimen success. I'm not the only one.

Also read a book on creating compelling arguments.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 1:31 pm

I just hate that people have to put themselves through 5-6 months of torture before they find any sort of success.

Acne is emotionally and psychologically damaging. This regimen seems like its taking advantage of acne sufferers and making them think that this regimen will cure their acne...when in reality they should really consult their doctor.

I'm less worried about the validity of the "success stories" now. Happy some of you are able to enjoy clear skin.

MemberMember
(@paranoidandroid)

Posted : 09/23/2010 5:34 pm

Changing a bad product to meet your customers' demands isn't exactly a novel idea...corporations have been doing it for years...that's how you stay in business

Neither his regimen nor his products are what is clearing your skin. It's common sense skin treatment and the placebo effect.

Cool story, bro!

Your theory would be correct, except for the fact that his regimen has helped clear my skin better than anything else, and I've had the same hope in every other product. After seeing Proactiv commercials three years ago, I thought it was a miracle cure, so I tried it. It worked horribly. Where's your placebo effect there, dragon?

And just a quick question: Are you one of those people that gains happiness in thinking the exact opposite as everyone else, just to be defiant and proud?

MemberMember
(@paranoidandroid)

Posted : 09/23/2010 5:35 pm

when in reality they should really consult their doctor.

Not very good advice. Doctors give you prescriptions that do nothing but irritate your skin.

MemberMember
(@charlie-t)

Posted : 09/23/2010 7:26 pm

People in stores wont tell you the bad things about products.

People selling dodgy meals at food courts wont tell you what horrible hygiene they have.

And almost everyone has bought something online. How do you know it's what they say it is when you get it in the post?

You'll just have to try it and find out. Like everything else.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 7:49 pm

Not very good advice. Doctors give you prescriptions that do nothing but irritate your skin.

Right...and putting on a "finger's length" of BP twice a day isn't irritating at all.....

Doctors can give you ADVICE in addition to prescriptions.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/23/2010 7:51 pm

Cool story, bro!

Your theory would be correct, except for the fact that his regimen has helped clear my skin better than anything else, and I've had the same hope in every other product. After seeing Proactiv commercials three years ago, I thought it was a miracle cure, so I tried it. It worked horribly. Where's your placebo effect there, dragon?

And just a quick question: Are you one of those people that gains happiness in thinking the exact opposite as everyone else, just to be defiant and proud?

Its not his products *moderator edit*. Are you washing your face gently 2x a day? Are you refraining from overly touching your face? Yes and Yes. These are simple rules that will help clear skin.

Are you one of those people that is willing to buy in to any hokey thing being sold on the internet?

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 09/23/2010 8:02 pm

If you can't debate maturely, and follow the board rules, this thread will be closed.

MemberMember
(@chikyuu)

Posted : 09/23/2010 8:29 pm

Read the hundreds of pages of people who havent had regimen success. I'm not the only one.

I just hate that people have to put themselves through 5-6 months of torture before they find any sort of success.

Well there are ALSO hundreds of pages on how accutane didn't work for people too. As well as anti biotics, or prescriptions. The review pages on this site have ratings and reviews on all kinds of acne treatments and products. Do you expect a treatment to fix every single person's acne and never fail anyone to be legitimate?

And also many of these prescriptions such as accutane, and retin a from what I've heard, also take a number of months before you see full results. A few months is typically how long most acne treatments need to work.

As far as going to the doctor, if you have no insurance and/or parents who want to avoid taking you to the doctor at all costs, like me, then the regimen is probably the most effective non-prescription treatment for acne. If it doesn't work after the 3-5 month period or however long you give it, then yes, go see a doctor. But the doctor's first prescription might not work since there isn't ONE acne treatment that works for everyone. If you were to get Retin A from a doctor and it doesn't work, is it suddenly a scam too? No, it's just not suited for your acne and you need something else to treat it.

MemberMember
(@bigfish)

Posted : 09/23/2010 9:11 pm

I just read something... not all acne is acne vulgaris related... so BP won't do anything... if its caused by over active oil glands then accutane/Retin-A and like diffrin would work because they shrink oil glands... I may be REALLY wrong but I read that on a different website and found it interesting...

I have oily skin, and Differin did nothing for me. Splashing water on my face had more of a positive effect on my acne than did Differin. It worked well for about 1 week, then nothing. Do you know what did work for me? Epiduo, which is a mix of 2.5% BP and 0.1% Adapalene (Differin). I know for a fact that it wasn't the adapalene that was helping, so I knew it was the BP, so I tried Dan's BP, and it's working well so far.

Oh, well then that answers my question! haha.

And to everyone else... I don't have a problem with Dan or his products, I think its great what he's doing, and its not a scam, it might not work as he says, but its not a scam. People just have to get used to the fact that some things DON'T WORK for everyone. Not every car you buy is going to last to 300,000 miles. Not every medication that says it works is going to work. If it works great, if not then that sucks but move on... cross it off your list and try something new.

a compilation of failure stories would be helpful to people debating whether or not to start the regimen though.

MemberMember
(@paranoidandroid)

Posted : 09/23/2010 9:51 pm

Its not his products *moderator edit*. Are you washing your face gently 2x a day? Are you refraining from overly touching your face? Yes and Yes. These are simple rules that will help clear skin.

Are you one of those people that is willing to buy in to any hokey thing being sold on the internet?

Did I wash my face gently 2x a day before starting the regimen? Yes. Have I always refrained from touching my face too much? Yes. Was I using a prescription of Epiduo and Solodyn from a dermatologist? Yes. Is Dan's BP working better than that did? Yes.

I'm sorry if his regimen didn't work for you. No product will ever work for 100% of the population, it's impossible. But again, if THIS is what big companies that are in it for the money do, then I don't know what an honest company is. I guess all companies recommend products made by other companies and say that you don't have to buy their products like Dan does.

MemberMember
(@piggles)

Posted : 09/23/2010 10:04 pm

I'm almost 30 and have had acne since I was a teenager, back then this type of regimen worked brilliantly for me, so no I dont think its a scam.

However you need to determine the type of acne you suffer from firstly.

I know now (after becoming a beauty therapist so I could try and help my own skin!) that this is just part of my genetics and all I can do is try to keep it at bay as this type of programme no longer works for me.

I understand how frustrating it is when something everyone else raves about doesnt work for you, and I have tried almost every type of medication and product available here in New Zealand!

If you want to believe this is a scam then go for it but I for one really do believe there are people out there (like Dan and most of the users of this forum) who just want to help others... :D

MemberMember
(@pepe88)

Posted : 09/24/2010 1:58 pm

Dragon let me tell you the biggest secret of this forum: we are all paid members to write fake reviews. This is the biggest scam ever recorded, bigger than madoff. But the thing is- you have discovered our secret ... and now you must join the dark side.

P.S - the members that hadn't accepted our proposal have been sliced and juiced. then we add bp and BAM! Acne.org BP ready to go!

Seriously this thread should be closed. Thousand arguments wont change his mind.

MemberMember
(@ayla)

Posted : 09/24/2010 3:57 pm

well, the thread should be closed because the troll is clearly trolling. If I was a mod... oh wait.

MemberMember
(@paranoidandroid)

Posted : 09/24/2010 5:55 pm

Dragon let me tell you the biggest secret of this forum: we are all paid members to write fake reviews. This is the biggest scam ever recorded, bigger than madoff. But the thing is- you have discovered our secret ... and now you must join the dark side.

P.S - the members that hadn't accepted our proposal have been sliced and juiced. then we add bp and BAM! Acne.org BP ready to go!

Seriously this thread should be closed. Thousand arguments wont change his mind.

Benzoyl Peroxide!! It's people!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 09/24/2010 8:37 pm

Benzoyl Peroxide!! It's people!!!!!!

Baaaahahahahaha. I love it. I make Soylent Green references all the time! : D

MemberMember
(@ckko25)

Posted : 09/26/2010 10:15 pm

I'm not going to waste too much time because the OP has his mind made up already but I started DKR 3 months ago, and all I can say is DKR ROCKS!!!!!!!!! :D Liquid Gold. Dan please please don't ever sell your products to a big company that will put all kinds of cheap fillers in it, jack up the price, and change your formulation. Sincerely I thank you from the bottom of my heart you are a godsend!

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 09/29/2010 8:23 pm

Cant help but wonder if this "regimen" is not just a scam for the owner of this website to cash in on?

Sure, he has pages and pages on "success stories"...that all sound extremely generic.

If it meant I could make a lot of money by writing one or two fake 'success stories' a day, then why wouldnt I? Could it be possible that all these stories are forged in order to sell all the regimen products?

He seems very intent on not pushing his products off on you, he more or less just makes them available to you at a low price. ...I'd like to trust him and trust that he isnt taking advantage of millions of people suffering from acne...but at the end of the day this guy is running a business and he wants you to buy his stuff.

I've tried the regimen for months and of course, it did not work. If anything, my skin just got worse. I followed all the steps perfectly so i am confident that there was no human error.

Stop and think logically for a second before you consider the regiment: This guy is not a doctor, he is running a business, and there is NO CURE FOR ACNE...sad but true.

Everyone struggling with acne (me included): stay strong and hopefully we'll all outgrow it soon!

First off, read my signature.

I'm sorry the regimen didn't work for you. But it works for (and has worked for) thousands of people. I'm not saying that I love using a chemical like BP on my face every day, but I do love having clear skin. I understand your skepticism, and the fact of the matter is that not everyone can be cleared by one system. Either way, your argument is invalid. Why would Dan recommend alternative products instead of the ones he offers? The acne.org products weren't originally a part of this site. It was originally started to spread the word about the regimen with drugstore products. Then Dan got the idea to provide low cost alternatives (like a freaking huge bottle of BP) to the drugstore ones.

So, please, review your argument and then come back.