Notifications
Clear all

Food

MemberMember
(@jcuesta128943)

Posted : 12/31/2016 9:21 am

This is my first writing a post and im not sure if it belongs in this category but i heard that rice is bad for acne so i was wondering if there were alternatives to it that are not bad for acne and that could possivly help it

MemberMember
(@coce99)

Posted : 01/02/2017 6:59 am

Rice is not bad for acne, if your acne is caused by food sensitivities and you are in training, rice is your best friend. It doesn not contain gluten and its hypoallergenic.

Adeel2111 liked
MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 01/03/2017 3:46 pm

It's such a myth that rice is bad for you! Rice is very healthy. Just look at most Asian cultures - rice is a huge component of their diet and they are typically healthier, skinnier and have fewer skin issues than people in Western countries.

Adeel2111 liked
MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/03/2017 4:10 pm

My mom usually makes rice with a bit oil in it. I have noticed (Maybe its just my head) and heard that food with oil makes acne worse (It feeds the acne bacteria) and your acne will just spread around. Is it true? Maybe its me just stressing too much about that and breaking out (Usually when I eat the rice or food mom makes i see no differences) but when i start telling myself "ok let me eat it and ill enjoy my breakout". Because of that I make my own food like white rice with no salt or oil with chicken breast with a very small amount of butter (Heard butter is bad too) but better than oil.

MemberMember
(@naturalcure1)

Posted : 01/04/2017 2:28 am

Depends on the kind of rice. White rice in America is extremely processed, try out organic brown rice or, like the post above says, quinoa. Good luck!!

Also, eating oil being bad for your skin is a myth. There are actually plenty of oils that benefit the skin, topically and internally. Check out my blog post:
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/blogs/entry/32202-how-to-heal/

feel free to reach out with any questions. Best of luck!!!

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 01/04/2017 8:33 am

16 hours ago, Adeel2111 said:

My mom usually makes rice with a bit oil in it. I have noticed (Maybe its just my head) and heard that food with oil makes acne worse (It feeds the acne bacteria) and your acne will just spread around. Is it true? Maybe its me just stressing too much about that and breaking out (Usually when I eat the rice or food mom makes i see no differences) but when i start telling myself "ok let me eat it and ill enjoy my breakout". Because of that I make my own food like white rice with no salt or oil with chicken breast with a very small amount of butter (Heard butter is bad too) but better than oil.

Not all oil is bad. Highly processed oils are bad, but there are some good ones out there such as olive oil & coconut oil. Good oils can actually contain anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. Of course you don't want to consume too much oil, but that's true for anything - a little here and there for cooking is no problem.

Stressing over anything can worsen breakouts, but I would say that stressing over everything you eat can become one of the worst culprits since we need to eat & do so multiple times a day. So, having that constant, recurring stress over everything you eat and not being able to enjoy your meal could certainly be what is causing you to breakout. I see this a lot in people, especially on these forums. People will eat one thing, stress over it for hours, get a breakout & then blame it on the food. Most people are not so sensitive to foods that they will develop a breakout so easily just by eating one thing. Especially if you are eating healthy for the most part.

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/04/2017 1:10 pm

@kelbell812
Oil contains fat and that fat from oil will feed the inflammatory/acne bacteria. Many people breakout because of their diet. Their diet might be "healthy" but certain things can mess your skin up. There are many people out there who think their breakouts are caused by hormones but the fact is their diet. I dont blame the diet for everything but it effects some people and those people can avoid their breakouts by removing certain ingredients. I totally agree with you, stressing because of the food is the biggest reason but it comes to diet. Maybe 30% of all whom blame their diet actually breakout of it. Rest of them breakout of stress, hormones etc

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 01/04/2017 9:34 pm

@Adeel2111Everything in moderation. There are good oils and bad oils, and there are healthy/unhealthy fats. Having a certain amount of healthy fat in your diet is healthy and important for healthy skin. Healthy oils like olive and coconut have anti-inflammatory/fungal properties & help fight bacteria both internally and externally. Lots of people use them both in cooking and to cleanse their skin. I use coconut oil as a deep cleanser 1-2 times a week and I use olive oil whenever I cook with oil.

I was not trying to say that you specifically blame diet on everything, sorry if it came off that way. I was just speaking generally. I do think that certain people are more sensitive to certain foods than others and that diet is important. I was mainly referring to the many people I've seen who become obsessed with everything they eat - they end up cutting so many things out of their diet and become miserable over it & if they "cheat" on their diet they hate themselves for it. I hate seeing people become that way about food.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@auleej)

Posted : 01/04/2017 9:54 pm

I think it's important to look at acne as a symptom of some underlying issue. Blanket statements like "acne is caused by x" are kinda like saying "coughs are caused by a viral infection" when there are, in fact, many potential causes. Our own bodies are not the arbiters on what is and isn't good for everyone.

My skin can't tolerate rice, for example. I'm sure that for many of you, rice is fine, but telling OP rice is okay because it's okay for you could point OP in the wrong direction. There are mechanisms by which rice can be bad for some people's skin.

To OP: if rice is a trigger (be it allergens or sugar impact), the best alternative I know of would be roasted cauliflower rice. It sounds weird, but it actually works quite well in rice dishes.

8 hours ago, Adeel2111 said:
Oil contains fat and that fat from oil will feed the inflammatory/acne bacteria.

That's only true if you're slathering your oily food on your face before you eat it.

MemberMember
(@thomas1987)

Posted : 01/04/2017 10:59 pm

I'm a strong believer that acne is caused by the chemicals that are in most processed foods. The following gives me bad cystic acne:

Honey - processed with many chemicals including hexane
Vegetable oils (extra virgin cold pressed is acceptable) - processed with hexane/acetone/ethanol
Soy - usually processed with hexane

The following gives me moderate acne:
Dairy - usually with hexane
Beer - hops can be processed with hexane
Artificial sweetener - stevia leafs are processed with hexane

Whole food diet including vegetables, meats, nuts, fruit, eggs. It's the way we are meant to eat, and it will keep you acne free.

MemberMember
(@adeel2111)

Posted : 01/05/2017 5:13 am

@kelbell812Nono i didnt mean that! I totally agree with you! You cant blame food because for your acne. Aslong as you keep it healthy its allright. I didint know olive oil wont hurt that much but thank you! Now I know that! I will try it out for sure

MemberMember
(@zerec)

Posted : 01/05/2017 6:55 am

I pretty much cut off a lot a lot of dairy-involved food, that's the major changes in my diet. It reduced the probability of me getting acne significantlyas far as I can tell. As for rice, not so much, but we should keep in mind that white rice itself has a significant level of glycemic index.

Psychologically, it kills me not to eat tasty foods when many of it has dairy ingredients........ I'm envious of people who can eat whatever they want and still maintaining a fine quality of skin..