Notifications
Clear all

Foods That Will Help Cure Acne

MemberMember
(@cynthiaaaa)

Posted : 01/07/2014 2:18 pm

So, from my research, these are the foods to go for to help get rid of acne.

Please feel free to tell me anything that you think is good for acne that I can add to my list, or anything that is actually triggering that I should take off :)

Honey

Ginger

Cinnamon

Green tea

Rooibos tea

All fruits

Berries

Sweet potato

Green-leafy veggies (e.g. spinach, kale)

Nutmeg

Fish Oil

Oatmeal

Lemons

Turmeric

Extra-virgin olive oil

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/07/2014 3:02 pm

All of these look on point, Im just wondering whats a good mix of vitamins to take now eusa_think.gif

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/07/2014 4:48 pm

Are these for topical application or internally? I don't see oatmeal being good for acne internally, but a topical application is known to work decently.

Good foods internally are basically the paleo diet (though watch out for meats, as most are fed a grain-based diet or accumulate environmental toxins in their tissues).

Specifically, and in order of helpfulness:

Leafy greens

Fish

Broccoli/other green vegetables

Avocado

Tomatoes

Kiwis

Berries

Most spices

Green/Red Tea

Lemons/Limes

Carrots

Apples

Grapefruit

Raw eggs

Sweet potato

As far as topicals, I've used yogurt, honey, cinnamon/nutmeg/ground cloves, matcha, lemon juice, and egg, and while I haven't found that they improve acne, they seem to improve skin quality/texture.

For supplementation, I've used zinc in the past with some success. I've also found that niacin is useful, but you have to be careful with it, and the effect is often temporary. Fermented fish oil/butter oil blend is also very nice for skin texture, teeth, and eye whites (my eyes were practically glowing in the dark on that stuff, so sexy). The oil blend has vitamins A, D, and K, so it makes sense that it would be useful for skin.

Note - I would say that olive oil is not actually good for acne. It has a 10:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 (so, at least 3x more omega 6 than is ideal). It's certainly better than other vegetable oils like soybean (stay away from that stuff), but overall I would say it's neutral at best, if not very slightly detrimental.

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/07/2014 4:59 pm

On 1/8/2014 at 3:48 AM, Quetzlcoatl said:

Are these for topical application or internally? I don't see oatmeal being good for acne internally, but a topical application is known to work decently.

Good foods internally are basically the paleo diet (though watch out for meats, as most are fed a grain-based diet or accumulate environmental toxins in their tissues).

Specifically, and in order of helpfulness:

Leafy greens

Fish

Broccoli/other green vegetables

Avocado

Tomatoes

Kiwis

Berries

Most spices

Green/Red Tea

Lemons/Limes

Carrots

Apples

Grapefruit

Raw eggs

Sweet potato

As far as topicals, I've used yogurt, honey, cinnamon/nutmeg/ground cloves, matcha, lemon juice, and egg, and while I haven't found that they improve acne, they seem to improve skin quality/texture.

For supplementation, I've used zinc in the past with some success. I've also found that niacin is useful, but you have to be careful with it, and the effect is often temporary. Fermented fish oil/butter oil blend is also very nice for skin texture, teeth, and eye whites (my eyes were practically glowing in the dark on that stuff, so sexy). The oil blend has vitamins A, D, and K, so it makes sense that it would be useful for skin.

Note - I would say that olive oil is not actually good for acne. It has a 10:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 (so, at least 3x more omega 6 than is ideal). It's certainly better than other vegetable oils like soybean (stay away from that stuff), but overall I would say it's neutral at best, if not very slightly detrimental.

Thanks for the advice on the supplementation part. I'm currently taking: https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Multivitamin-Supplement/dp/B00323NW5C/?th=1 for about 2 weeks now. I haven't really seen any improvement however I haven't been paying "Super" close attention.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/07/2014 5:24 pm

On 1/8/2014 at 3:59 AM, Hawaii4Life said:

Thanks for the advice on the supplementation part. I'm currently taking: https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-Vitamin-Multivitamin-Supplement/dp/B00323NW5C/?th=1 for about 2 weeks now. I haven't really seen any improvement however I haven't been paying "Super" close attention.

Just a quick note, usually it's best to get vitamins through food because of absorption issues. For example, I've taken vitamins A and D in capsule form and in larger quantities, but the fermented fish oil had a profoundly greater effect on my skin in lesser quantities. That isn't to say that vitamins are worthless alone, but it's something you could potentially keep in mind.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:16 pm

Fish oil breaks me out and I also try to avoid oils like olive oil. I like to eat vegetables (especially leafy greens), fruits, low fat protein, and carbs like oatmeal. Doing this keeps my skin mostly clear except for a few clogged pores.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:25 pm

There's many, many more. Such as all spices, really. All kinds of teas. Buckwheat. Pumpkin seeds. chia, Coconut oil, cactus, okra, bone broths, fermented foods.

Just eat real food.

What to avoid is processed foods, refined flours & products made from them even whole grain flour, 'vegetable' oil, canola oil, crisco, 'vegetable' shortening, margarine, etc. Oils used at a temperature higher than their smoking point. This means avoiding nearly all commercially prepared foods, especially baked goods & fried foods.

Honey is not actually good for acne, unless you mean topically. You should limit added sugars of any kind and avoid any high glycemic load meal, drink or snack. If you are using honey to sweeten drinks, then at least have that sweet drink with fiber & fat to lower the glycemic impact.

You also need to avoid anything you have an intolerance for, which you have to figure out for yourself.

MemberMember
(@hawaii4life)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:29 pm

Thank you both for the very helpful replies. I'm sorry to have slightly hijacked this thread neutral.gif But will do. I have been taking vitamins in general for a while and would like to slowly hop off the "Supplement train" and look towards simply getting them from whole food.