Notifications
Clear all

Diet Is The Cure For Acne.....rofl

MemberMember
(@umaid619)

Posted : 01/05/2014 4:51 pm

Diet has a massive role in acne, your very silly if you don't think so...

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/05/2014 5:47 pm

Come on man, it's useless to argue with Quetzlcoatl, he's whole thinking is flawed. He is saying that every thing in nature has a meaning, what about cancer? What's the meaning in cancer, why some people get cancer? Why my friend who was 12 died from lung cancer and he was the most athletic person in my school by far, never got the chance to even try alcohol or cigarettes, perfect mate for every female.

You're so far from the truth that it isn't even funny anymore.

Everything has a meaning insofar that we can apply meaning to interactions of matter. I wasn't suggesting anything beyond that. Your friend died of cancer because cancer can afflict anyone. Certain things increase or decrease your chance to get cancer; some are genetic, most are environmental. Unless you want to suggest that your friend's cancer occurred without some sort of biological mechanism, you haven't really presented an argument.

You need to understand rates in order to grasp this. Rates are pretty simple, but their complexity can expand when applied to biological systems. To use the cancer example in a simple way, your body is creating hundreds of cancerous cells every day. The reason they don't become tumors is that your immune system is identifying and destroying them at a higher rate than they are multiplying. Every single human on earth has cancerous cells in their body right now. All it takes is a few more mutations to get the right combination that will hide the cell from the immune system and allow it to grow. Cigarettes increase the rate of mutation. Over time, mutations accrue. It's like a combination lock. If you're trying a different combination every second for 40 years, you might get it on your first try, but you're much more likely to get it later.

only the human MIND can be capable of suicidal thoughts. nature's issue is only surviving. imagine ur the only male in the world, that could be a posibility, and your body is saying please don't mate with me ?!?! nature is not that dumb..

the reverse is indeed in full effect. individuals trying hard to grow long useless necks like giraffes, useless big hair like lions, and who is doing well enough can achive this stupid requirement, but the opposite (tell others to stay away from you) can never be true.

Yes and in the scenario where there is one male in the world that male would probably be able to find a mate, because red welts on your face decrease the rate of social interaction, and don't eliminate the rate entirely. But I'm glad you're catching on - it would indeed be dumb if everyone's body is saying 'please don't mate with me' for most of their teenage years and onward, which is why I'm saying that we've had to remove ourselves from environmental equilibrium to create this problem - that is to say, the problem can't be solely genetic, because then we as a species would not exist as we do today.

Not sure what you mean with the giraffes and lions

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/05/2014 6:57 pm

This is the other thing I hate about the diet section of this forum: people don't know how to READ in this section! I already said that what works for me is accutane, BP and AHA. Now I just use BP face wash every night, let it stay on my skin 2-3 minutes and wash off and I'm 100% clear.

I did what you suggested last summer and oh boy I was fucked! I had so bad acne, it was a fucking nightmare.

I see that alternativista has ran back to the troll forest when her theories got proven wrong.

You seem to be suggesting that the incidence of acne has remained stable over that last few thousand years. If it was purely genetic and there was no interaction with environment, this would be the observation. This is not the case, so you're wrong. You can question which specific environmental interaction is a trigger of acne. This is still a subject of a lot of research, and there is probably no one answer.

Acne is a display that something is wrong within your body. Think about smallpox; red dots on your skin warn others to stay away; your immune system creates them to decrease the likelihood of spreading whatever it is you have. There are many diseases that result in similar rashes or dots and for the same reason, and in each case the dots are not a manifestation of the disease, but rather a manifestation of your immune response. With acne, your body is warning others to stay away, because something is wrong.

Now let's take an evolutionary perspective. Would this trait of warning others to stay away during our most crucial social years be evolutionary beneficial for everyone to have? No, of course it wouldn't be. The moment someone comes along who does not suffer from acne in a population where all of the individuals innately have acne, their genes would be selected for. They would get more mates. They would have more social bonds and a bigger social network. They would have more resources, and more people to watch their back. The acne gene would disappear very quickly - unless it was meant to keep others away for a good reason (one that increases net fitness), and was triggered only in certain circumstances.

And so by evolutionary logic, you're also wrong. Of course, could have just pointed out that hunter-gatherers do not suffer from acne, teenage or otherwise, but now you see some of the logic behind that observation.

In short, it seems incredibly shortsighted of you to suggest that acne is purely genetic and has no environmental triggers or interactions. More importantly, though, I think it's best to remember that nobody has a cure for everyone; doctors have cures for some, and diet has cures for others. Once we find the cause of acne (which we have yet to do, after all these years), we'll be better able to determine just what exactly is going on.

All acne is a hormonal by-product and does not have several alternate causes; what get's the ball rolling is hormones which is why it usually appears first at puberty. Twin studies have proven that largely 80% of acne is genetic and only a measly 20% of a persons acne is influenced by environmental factors. Neither does having acne signify something is seriously wrong with your body.

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/05/2014 7:21 pm

Yes and No to the OP. I am 33 and do avoid gluten, soy and most dairy consistently for over over 2 years now. I am definitely not 100% clear. But my skin is better with it. I am also "lucky" enough to have to constantly use B.P. in addition to the diet. lol And accutane and other drugs did not help me. At this point I wish I was one of those people that was 100% clear from diet and/or drugs to be honest. But now its sort of manageable with about 80% clear. I will take that I guess. lol

I have a plan for you to get 100% clear if you're interested.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/05/2014 7:43 pm

You make a fundamental human error of projecting your own experiences onto other people. Everyone is different and reacts to different things.

I have tried eating just vegetables and extra virgin olive oil for many months, no effect in anything. I started to get acne when I was 13, now I'm 30, and my acne has always been inflammatory acne.

If you've had acne for so long and nothing works, I would suggest you stop doing everything. I assume you still have a skin care regime and avoid certain foods. Stop everything completely and try to forget about your skin for a few months. Just wash it once or twice a day with lukewarm water for 20 seconds. Don't avoid any foods, but don't eat unhealthily either. Stop all supplements and tablets you take as well. I'd also recommend getting all your vitamin levels tested, especially Vitamin A, D, E and Zinc.

Good luck.

This is the other thing I hate about the diet section of this forum: people don't know how to READ in this section! I already said that what works for me is accutane, BP and AHA. Now I just use BP face wash every night, let it stay on my skin 2-3 minutes and wash off and I'm 100% clear.

I did what you suggested last summer and oh boy I was fucked! I had so bad acne, it was a fucking nightmare.

I see that alternativista has ran back to the troll forest when her theories got proven wrong.

What?? They are not my theories. And they have not been proven wrong. And anyone not here to discuss holistic health and nutrition is a troll. Especially when they make insulting posts like yours.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/05/2014 7:52 pm

All acne is a hormonal by-product and does not have several alternate causes; what get's the ball rolling is hormones which is why it usually appears first at puberty. Twin studies have proven that largely 80% of acne is genetic and only a measly 20% of a persons acne is influenced by environmental factors. Neither does having acne signify something is seriously wrong with your body.

Twin studies prove nothing; they only show correlations. Also, while twin studies control for many factors, they cannot control for all factors. If twins are separated and one is sent to live in China and the other in Mexico, both are still getting exposed to many of the same environmental factors. Finally, something 'running in families' is not always genetic; it could be epigenetic or developmental, or even something else like certain bacteria strains being passed from mother to child.

But all that doesn't even matter, because 20% of acne being due to environmental factors still means that environmental factors are involved, so I thank you for proving my point.

Why would you say that acne means nothing is wrong? Why is that a logical conclusion at all? Yeah, you might not get a heart attack in the next 5 minutes, but we're talking about the immune system. Something is clearly wrong with the immune system, otherwise it would not be acting as it is. Something is making the immune system act in that way. That something is not just genes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/05/2014 7:53 pm

You seem to be suggesting that the incidence of acne has remained stable over that last few thousand years. If it was purely genetic and there was no interaction with environment, this would be the observation. This is not the case, so you're wrong. You can question which specific environmental interaction is a trigger of acne. This is still a subject of a lot of research, and there is probably no one answer.

Acne is a display that something is wrong within your body. Think about smallpox; red dots on your skin warn others to stay away; your immune system creates them to decrease the likelihood of spreading whatever it is you have. There are many diseases that result in similar rashes or dots and for the same reason, and in each case the dots are not a manifestation of the disease, but rather a manifestation of your immune response. With acne, your body is warning others to stay away, because something is wrong.

Now let's take an evolutionary perspective. Would this trait of warning others to stay away during our most crucial social years be evolutionary beneficial for everyone to have? No, of course it wouldn't be. The moment someone comes along who does not suffer from acne in a population where all of the individuals innately have acne, their genes would be selected for. They would get more mates. They would have more social bonds and a bigger social network. They would have more resources, and more people to watch their back. The acne gene would disappear very quickly - unless it was meant to keep others away for a good reason (one that increases net fitness), and was triggered only in certain circumstances.

And so by evolutionary logic, you're also wrong. Of course, could have just pointed out that hunter-gatherers do not suffer from acne, teenage or otherwise, but now you see some of the logic behind that observation.

In short, it seems incredibly shortsighted of you to suggest that acne is purely genetic and has no environmental triggers or interactions. More importantly, though, I think it's best to remember that nobody has a cure for everyone; doctors have cures for some, and diet has cures for others. Once we find the cause of acne (which we have yet to do, after all these years), we'll be better able to determine just what exactly is going on.

No, not really. The hormones at puberty exacerbate the factors that lead to acne. Unless you are talking about Igf1, a growth hormone elevated at puberty, but also elevated by high glycemic/insulinemic diet habits and in dairy. Igf1 stimulates the hyper proliferation of skin cells that is at the root of acne formation. Other cells too. Like cancer cells.

The part that acne isn't a sign that there is something seriously wrong is true though. At least, it doesn't mean you are any more unhealthy than the SAD diet eating clear skinned people around you. They are likely unhealthy too. They just don't get acne.

And I don't know what twin studies you are talking about, but its unlikely they provide definitive proof of anything. Most studies are flawed and the researchers should state where further research is needed. Also, we have a member here that tells us she has severe acne while her twin is clear.

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/05/2014 8:21 pm

No, not really. The hormones at puberty exacerbate the factors that lead to acne. Unless you are talking about Igf1, a growth hormone elevated at puberty, but also elevated by high glycemic/insulinemic diet habits and in dairy. Igf1 stimulates the hyper proliferation of skin cells that is at the root of acne formation. Other cells too. Like cancer cells.

The part that acne isn't a sign that there is something seriously wrong is true though. At least, it doesn't mean you are any more unhealthy than the SAD diet eating clear skinned people around you. They are likely unhealthy too. They just don't get acne.

And I don't know what twin studies you are talking about, but its unlikely they provide definitive proof of anything. Most studies are flawed and the researchers should state where further research is needed. Also, we have a member here that tells us she has severe acne while her twin is clear.

I meant to say acne occurs usually when hormone levels are adequate hence the reason it first rears around puberty (another poster asked why do people not get acne until puberty). It is partly a hormonal disease for this reason.

Oh and thank you for agreeing with me about acne not signalling "seriously illness", I have no clue why people seem to perceive acne sufferers as "sickly". That's a load of crap.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/05/2014 8:44 pm

Why are so many people responding to the troll?

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 01/05/2014 10:12 pm

I meant to say acne occurs usually when hormone levels are adequate hence the reason it first rears around puberty (another poster asked why do people not get acne until puberty). It is partly a hormonal disease for this reason.

Oh and thank you for agreeing with me about acne not signalling "seriously illness", I have no clue why people seem to perceive acne sufferers as "sickly". That's a load of crap.

just an fyi. Eliminating wheat from my diet not only ended acne for me, it also ended joint pain and arthritis. It all depends on what triggers your acne. Also since Barley is grouped into gluten free, I found out that it was the trigger for my Acid Reflux disease which ended as well. Who knew Gluten (wheat, Barley, and Rye) where actually 3 separate allergens causing 3 different immune responses.

MemberMember
(@dancedd)

Posted : 01/05/2014 10:35 pm

Yes and No to the OP. I am 33 and do avoid gluten, soy and most dairy consistently for over over 2 years now. I am definitely not 100% clear. But my skin is better with it. I am also "lucky" enough to have to constantly use B.P. in addition to the diet. lol And accutane and other drugs did not help me. At this point I wish I was one of those people that was 100% clear from diet and/or drugs to be honest. But now its sort of manageable with about 80% clear. I will take that I guess. lol

I have a plan for you to get 100% clear if you're interested.

I am interested. But some things I cant do like eat all organic and grassed meats and etc all the time or even often. Unfortunately I do live in the modern world and I cannot stay in my house the whole time. I have school, work and other obligations that puts me in situations where I do have to eat out:) But I am more than open in hearing what else can be done? smile.png

MemberMember
(@youknow1)

Posted : 01/06/2014 12:59 am

I never expected that you diet people would be this delusional, it would make more sense talking to a monkey about astrophysics. I will continue to live a full life, eating what I wanna eat and doing what I wanna do and still be 100% clear just by letting BP stay on my skin 2 minutes every night and washing off. Don't have to hide in my closet or just eat one carrot a day and worry. Like I said, I have tried your methods alternativista, didn't work.

And to those people who got clear with diet, maybe they really did have some sort of allergy or their acne was the usual "terrible" acne where you get one pimple per month, lol.

There is not a single respected doctor or derm in this universe who agrees that diet is the cause of acne.

I will leave you strugglin with your diet and acne and go live a full life now, peace out bye.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 9:13 am

I never expected that you diet people would be this delusional, it would make more sense talking to a monkey about astrophysics. I will continue to live a full life, eating what I wanna eat and doing what I wanna do and still be 100% clear just by letting BP stay on my skin 2 minutes every night and washing off. Don't have to hide in my closet or just eat one carrot a day and worry. Like I said, I have tried your methods alternativista, didn't work.

And to those people who got clear with diet, maybe they really did have some sort of allergy or their acne was the usual "terrible" acne where you get one pimple per month, lol.

There is not a single respected doctor or derm in this universe who agrees that diet is the cause of acne.

I will leave you strugglin with your diet and acne and go live a full life now, peace out bye.

Well then, Good luck, you knownothing1, in your future of degenerative disease and lifetime on prescription drugs. Enjoy your sickly children and mobility scooter and your last few decades as a shut in.

I, on the other hand, will live a healthy, active full life due to my eating a delicious diet of real, whole nutrient rich foods & healthy lifestyle. I wasn't the one who spent a whole Sunday trolling a nutrition board, after all. Too busy enjoying life.

Btw, I had all kinds of acne, and very severe. Didn't have a clear day for decades. No matter how much BP, BHA i slathered on. or how much antibiotics or accutane i was given. The cysts were a food intolerance. The rest and the grotesquely oily skin all due to high glycemic diet habits typical in the SAD diet today that is also the cause of all the degenerative disease every around us suffers from. All went away when I learned how humans should eat.

Wrong about the doctors, too, btw. Numerous great doctors read studies and follow the research rather than just regurgitate the false info they were indoctrinated in med school. Unlike the mediocre ones most of us have access to. Try the doctor that created the SOUTH BEACH DIET, for example. An extremely important cardiologist. The same healthy low glycemic, nutrient dense diet that prevents disease also clears skin.

MemberMember
(@youknow1)

Posted : 01/06/2014 9:40 am

Hmm, it seems that we have totally different causes of acne then. I have always responded perfectly to BP and accutane and I got cystic acne only when I was teenager, my cystic acne stopped when I was about 18 years old. I have eaten healthy and haven't touched alcohol or cigarettes in over 10 years and I'm a high level athlete. I don't want to fight with you Alternativista or anyone else here, rather just smile and be happy. I have eaten oats for many years, but just recently stopped because I noticed that my saliva turns to really thick and slimy every time I eat oats and it has been proven in research that soaking oats or heating it won't affect phytic acid amount a lot.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 9:50 am

Hmm, it seems that we have totally different causes of acne then. I have always responded perfectly to BP and accutane and I got cystic acne only when I was teenager, my cystic acne stopped when I was about 18 years old. I have eaten healthy and haven't touched alcohol or cigarettes in over 10 years and I'm a high level athlete. I don't want to fight with you Alternativista or anyone else here, rather just smile and be happy. I have eaten oats for many years, but just recently stopped because I noticed that my saliva turns to really thick and slimy every time I eat oats and it has been proven in research that soaking oats or heating it won't affect phytic acid amount a lot.

So many ridiculous things. Starting with the most ridiculous statement that you don't want to fight. You came here to fight and insult. And you did it all day long yesterday. Happy day! You sound angry, actually. A better diet will help you with your mood issues, btw.

Always responded perfectly to accutane??? How many times have you taken this dangerous drug?

Also, high level athlete doesn't = health. Prolonged extreme exertion is proinflammatory and damaging. Look how rapidly professional athletes age and the ailments they suffer from. How old marathon runners look. Lance Armstrong has had how many cancers? They also eat badly as our systems did not evolve to fuel that kind of activity. Humans should piddle around in low intensity activity as much as possible all day every day. Lift a few heavy things, climb a few hills, and occasionally sprint away from danger. Lots of low level activity. Short bursts of intense activity. That's what our systems were 'designed' to fuel. And the kind of activity that's healthy and leads to a long and healthy active life.

You have not said one thing that demonstrates that you know what healthy is. Your simpleton's knowledge of phylyc acid included. Phytic acid is an antioxidant and not harmful. The downside is that it binds up some minerals making them unavailable to the body. Oats while being one of the least harmful antinutrient-wise is one of the most beneficial grains nutrient & fiber wise. Super food for cholesterol. And yes, they are low in phytase, which means proper preparation means soaking them with a good source of phytase such as buckwheat or with lactofermentaion such as soaking with a little yogurt, or soaking for several days to allow fermentation to begin. This is how they were prepared before our food became industrialized. True muesli is oats soaked overnight in yogurt. A traditional dish that originated in Switzerland. People spent millennia preparing food properly, and we forgot all that knowledge in a few decades of boxed convenience 'food.'

MemberMember
(@robustmist)

Posted : 01/06/2014 5:01 pm

The reason we are replying is because you know brings up a TON of good points. We always need someone to criticize the common belief for the sake of new ideas.

But I believe that acne is caused by diet. Here's why:

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle. Accutane is the only treatment available that is known to work and completely clear up skin. Now you're probably wondering: what the fuck does accutane have to do with the diet-acne link?

Accutane is very, very similar to vitamin A. Vitamin A was actually used in high doses to treat acne before accutane was developed. Vitamin A is also very, very effective at treating acne (read link at bottom of my post). I believe that acne is caused by a lack of vitamin A. Nowadays, our diet consists of such little vitamin A that it makes my point even clearer (a pun, hahha) as to why we are seeing increased rates of acne. The half-life of vitamin A is 6 months so if you are a salad daily your levels would steadily increase.

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6453848/

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 01/06/2014 8:34 pm

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle.

I think the Accutane clearing rate is much lower. I've seen studies reporting acne remission rates as low as 40%.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/06/2014 8:50 pm

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle.

I think the Accutane clearing rate is much lower. I've seen studies reporting acne remission rates as low as 40%.

Yes. And then even those for whom it works, its only temporary and they take it again and again.

We are misled all the time about success rates. Take the flu shot. It's only about 50%effective and that is when they include the right strains, which isn't that often. Your best defense isn't a flu shot, its a strong immune system which you get by consuming nutrients, sleeping, managing stress, exercise, laughter, etc.

Natural gas isn't all that clean burning either, btw.

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:22 pm

Yes. And then even those for whom it works, its only temporary and they take it again and again.

We are misled all the time about success rates. Take the flu shot. It's only about 50%effective and that is when they include the right strains, which isn't that often. Your best defense isn't a flu shot, its a strong immune system which you get by consuming nutrients, sleeping, managing stress, exercise, laughter, etc.

Of course it's temporary, cystic acne is a genetic disease and will always require lifelong maintenance. Genetics have the upper hand and Accutane won't change them permanently worth a flip.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:31 pm

Of course it's temporary, cystic acne is a genetic disease and will always require lifelong maintenance. Genetics have the upper hand and Accutane won't change them permanently worth a flip.

The point is that it isn't the miracle cure kids keep telling themselves it is. So you can keep taking a dangerous drug over and over. Or you can eat and live right which will also prevent disease and retard aging.

Click on the OPs name and check out his other topics all about the many problems he has had with the accutane & BP that weren't mentioned here.

MemberMember
(@kokobear)

Posted : 01/07/2014 6:47 pm

The reason we are replying is because you know brings up a TON of good points. We always need someone to criticize the common belief for the sake of new ideas.

But I believe that acne is caused by diet. Here's why:

First, ask yourself this. What is the most effective treatment for acne on the market? The answer is obviously accutane. Accutane clears up about 95% of acne sufferers by the end of the cycle. Accutane is the only treatment available that is known to work and completely clear up skin. Now you're probably wondering: what the fuck does accutane have to do with the diet-acne link?

Accutane is very, very similar to vitamin A. Vitamin A was actually used in high doses to treat acne before accutane was developed. Vitamin A is also very, very effective at treating acne (read link at bottom of my post). I believe that acne is caused by a lack of vitamin A. Nowadays, our diet consists of such little vitamin A that it makes my point even clearer (a pun, hahha) as to why we are seeing increased rates of acne. The half-life of vitamin A is 6 months so if you are a salad daily your levels would steadily increase.

My post probably doesn't even make sense. I am doing a terrible job at backing up my point. But seriously, do some research on vitamin a and acne. I believe the cause of acne is lack of vitamin A.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6453848/

No. Accutane is as a synthetically produced chemotherapeutic retinoid, it is not just high dose vitamin A. Neither does a diet rich in vitamin a cure acne.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 01/08/2014 8:19 am

No, inflammation is at the root of acne formation, not just cysts. It initiates the malformed cells that do not exfoliate freely.

..hope you're right, i wish you are

..aaand you're not:

"Severe acne is imflammatory, but acne can also manifest in noninflammatory forms." (wikipedia)

i generally don't agree with the op here, but for the sake of the forum let me try to help this topic:

if acne is a food allergy, or unhealthy eating, then why does it manifests itself only when puberty begins?

and why in the most cases of eradicating it, the answer is a hormonal med?

how come after bc pills you're not "gluten intollerant" anymore, etc?

People seem to often confuse necessary and sufficient conditions. Why does acne usually manifest when puberty begins? Because sebum overproduction driven by hormones is a necessary condition for acne. It is not a sufficient condition for acne - sebum overproduction alone will not cause acne. So the simple answer is that a necessary condition is not being fulfilled, and thus no acne.

"Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, affecting an estimated 80-90% of teenagers" (wikipedia)

why dont you see 8-9 out of 10 adults with acne?

well this question had an innitial role of eliminating the "acne is a food allergy" theory, so i may ask the wrong person. but u seem to be talented at making theories anyway. lol

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:07 am

No, inflammation is at the root of acne formation, not just cysts. It initiates the malformed cells that do not exfoliate freely.

..aaand you're not:

"Severe acne is imflammatory, but acne can also manifest in noninflammatory forms." (wikipedia)

>

i generally don't agree with the op here, but for the sake of the forum let me try to help this topic:

if acne is a food allergy, or unhealthy eating, then why does it manifests itself only when puberty begins?

and why in the most cases of eradicating it, the answer is a hormonal med?

how come after bc pills you're not "gluten intollerant" anymore, etc?

People seem to often confuse necessary and sufficient conditions. Why does acne usually manifest when puberty begins? Because sebum overproduction driven by hormones is a necessary condition for acne. It is not a sufficient condition for acne - sebum overproduction alone will not cause acne. So the simple answer is that a necessary condition is not being fulfilled, and thus no acne.

"Acne occurs most commonly during adolescence, affecting an estimated 80-90% of teenagers" (wikipedia)

why dont you see 8-9 out of 10 adults with acne?

well this question had an innitial role of eliminating the "acne is a food allergy" theory, so i may ask the wrong person. but u seem to be talented at making theories anyway. lol

Well the reason you don't see as many adults with acne is because sebum production (mostly in terms of quality), for most people, normalizes after puberty, so you're removing the necessary condition. People might still have the food sensitivities, but they are not manifesting as acne because the required sebum composition is not there (because hormones have normalized).

Also, I have a feeling that not all acne is the same - cystic acne and comedonal acne likely have somewhat different causes. I was able to clear my cystic acne very easily by changing my diet. My comedonal acne stuck around. Even this past Christmas, when I ate too much chocolate, the inflammatory acne returned, and now has subsided on cue as I returned to my paleo diet. I was able to clear my chest acne with colostrum, which is basically an immunomodulator, but it didn't do much for my face acne. I have a hard time understanding why doctors and dermatologists think that acne manifesting on different parts of the body and in different forms is all the same, and thus should be treated the same. This seems fundamentally wrong to me, especially since we still don't even know the root cause that ties these conditions together.

MemberMember
(@danthenewworld)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:35 am

Well the reason you don't see as many adults with acne is because sebum production (mostly in terms of quality), for most people, normalizes after puberty, so you're removing the necessary condition. People might still have the food sensitivities, but they are not manifesting as acne because the required sebum composition is not there (because hormones have normalized).

Also, I have a feeling that not all acne is the same - cystic acne and comedonal acne likely have somewhat different causes. I was able to clear my cystic acne very easily by changing my diet. My comedonal acne stuck around. Even this past Christmas, when I ate too much chocolate, the inflammatory acne returned, and now has subsided on cue as I returned to my paleo diet. I was able to clear my chest acne with colostrum, which is basically an immunomodulator, but it didn't do much for my face acne. I have a hard time understanding why doctors and dermatologists think that acne manifesting on different parts of the body and in different forms is all the same, and thus should be treated the same. This seems fundamentally wrong to me, especially since we still don't even know the root cause that ties these conditions together.

amen!

again i'd like to quote my first post ever on this forum, since it's my most mature one lol:

"there are 2 sides of acne:

1 whiteheads (or/blackheads - not in my case anymore) - this is what i call acne

2 inflamated (red/deep/bumps/cysts i thing u call them) - this is a more general state of health or imune sistem state, which depends on diet&lifestyle, this surrounds acne but i don't call it actual acne"

..aaand you're not:

oh wait, you're double wrong because when i was under antibiotics > 1,5 years of acne-free skin, the were no inflamations to initiate malformed cells.. and yet acne returned.

alternativista, i appreciate your knowledge and good intentions, but you'd be on a way more solid grown if you were on a heart disease or weight-problems forum, than on an acne forum. (wich will bring you many uneasy times. nothing personal, just hormonal lol )

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 01/08/2014 3:29 pm

..aaand you're not:

I am not wrong.

1) Wikipedia is not an authority.

2) they are talking only about inflamed vs non-inflamed forms of acne. Chronic silent inflammation, however, is invisible and has been found to initiate the formation of malformed cells that do not exfoliate properly without clogging pores. Acne is defined as an inflammatory skin disease. This type of inflammation is also the root cause of most other disease running rampant these days like diabetes & cardiovascular disease.

Also, overproduction of sebum is not a necessary condition for acne. There are many people with dry skin and acne. And oily, but clear skinned people. The issue is the composition of that sebum.

amen!

again i'd like to quote my first post ever on this forum, since it's my most mature one lol:

"there are 2 sides of acne:

1 whiteheads (or/blackheads - not in my case anymore) - this is what i call acne

2 inflamated (red/deep/bumps/cysts i thing u call them) - this is a more general state of health or imune sistem state, which depends on diet&lifestyle, this surrounds acne but i don't call it actual acne"

>>

..aaand you're not:

oh wait, you're double wrong because when i was under antibiotics > 1,5 years of acne-free skin, the were no inflamations to initiate malformed cells.. and yet acne returned.

alternativista, i appreciate your knowledge and good intentions, but you'd be on a way more solid grown if you were on a heart disease or weight-problems forum, than on an acne forum. (wich will bring you many uneasy times. nothing personal, just hormonal lol )

???????? Not a word of that made any sense. But, I'm glad that you appreciate my knowledge. And I'm on solid ground here.

also, I would lump ordinary inflamed comedones in with black & whiteheads. Nodules & cysts are another matter, imo. And I believe, from my experience and from stories I've noted here from many other people over many years, that nodules and cysts are a food intolerance.