Notifications
Clear all

Weight Gainers

MemberMember
(@acneisacurse)

Posted : 06/20/2013 12:49 pm

I recommend not taking weight gain powders, they are pretty much just whey protein with a whole bunch of other stuff in it, and a lot of it is bad for you. If you want to gain weight the best way is to just eat a lot more. You should eat like every 3 hours, so around 5 meals a day (not 5 full course meals but 5 smaller meals throughout the day), which ensures that you will be eating more calories and your body will be spending more time using the food for energy rather than burning calories and keeping you skinny! I've only been weight lifting for about a year so I don't have as much experience as CBIOT13, but as long as you eat A LOT and eat more protein, along with a solid weight lifting routine, you should be able to gain all the weight you need. Of course, gaining muscle is a completely different story from gaining fat, weight lifting is a lifestyle and it takes years to put on a good amount of muscle mass, but as for just adding weight to the scale, as long as you eat a lot and go to the gym it shouldn't be too hard.

Your acne will suffer as a result however, because weight lifting is all about increasing hormones like testosterone and IGF-1, and both of these contribute to an increase in acne. Honestly, I haven't heard of anybody having good long term success with antibiotics, and you can't try and have a diet that can satisfy both weight lifting and clearing acne. I recommend committing to a good weight lifting diet, eating plenty of carbohydrates and protein and good healthy fats, and maybe supplementing with whey protein and creatine. I also recommend doing something topical like the regimen, because pretty much everything related to a weight lifting bulking diet will make your acne worse and you want to make sure you keep your acne under control at the same time.

This is just my opinion though, I know I am on the holistic health boards and a lot of people here will not agree with what I have to say about recommending the regimen haha, but it's just my advice. Good luck! :)

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/21/2013 12:56 am

are u allergic to eggs?

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/21/2013 12:32 pm

I recommend not taking weight gain powders, they are pretty much just whey protein with a whole bunch of other stuff in it, and a lot of it is bad for you. If you want to gain weight the best way is to just eat a lot more. You should eat like every 3 hours, so around 5 meals a day (not 5 full course meals but 5 smaller meals throughout the day), which ensures that you will be eating more calories and your body will be spending more time using the food for energy rather than burning calories and keeping you skinny! I've only been weight lifting for about a year so I don't have as much experience as CBIOT13, but as long as you eat A LOT and eat more protein, along with a solid weight lifting routine, you should be able to gain all the weight you need. Of course, gaining muscle is a completely different story from gaining fat, weight lifting is a lifestyle and it takes years to put on a good amount of muscle mass, but as for just adding weight to the scale, as long as you eat a lot and go to the gym it shouldn't be too hard.

Your acne will suffer as a result however, because weight lifting is all about increasing hormones like testosterone and IGF-1, and both of these contribute to an increase in acne. Honestly, I haven't heard of anybody having good long term success with antibiotics, and you can't try and have a diet that can satisfy both weight lifting and clearing acne. I recommend committing to a good weight lifting diet, eating plenty of carbohydrates and protein and good healthy fats, and maybe supplementing with whey protein and creatine. I also recommend doing something topical like the regimen, because pretty much everything related to a weight lifting bulking diet will make your acne worse and you want to make sure you keep your acne under control at the same time.

This is just my opinion though, I know I am on the holistic health boards and a lot of people here will not agree with what I have to say about recommending the regimen haha, but it's just my advice. Good luck! smile.png

I know a weight gainer may make me break out, but i think i really need one, im always been on the skinny side due to my metabolism, so im several ocasions i have tryed diets with lots of calories combined with working out and etc, but my metabolism makes it almost impossible for me to gain weight.

I don't think i'll have to take creatine or that kind of suplemments, i don't want to become huge. At 6'1 (average in my country is near 6'3 and last year i was 5'11) i have always been a small guy, and i take pride on it haha. I just want to add something like 10pounds or 20pounds at most).

Anyway, thanks for your advice and for reading my post.

are u allergic to eggs?

No, im not, i forgot to say it, but obviously i eat lots of eggs for the protein. I even put a pair of egg whites on the glass of milk i take in the mornings.

Right now im thinking doing a homemade weight gainer may be the best option for me. I googled it and it's pretty easy, and this way i can control the ingredients.

Im thinking i could put a banana, hemp protein, egg white, a glass of milk, a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and maybe some strawberries or something like that for the flavour and the carbs.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/21/2013 12:34 pm

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

u dnt even have to worry about the calorie content.u r anyway thin.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/21/2013 4:05 pm

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

I eat the whole egg usually, i meant that in the mornings i drink a glass of milk as part of my breakfast, and i put on it a pair of egg whites because i have a bottle of egg whites and i dont have to crack the eggs and etc.

When eating omelettes, boiled eggs etc. i do eat the whole egg. Sorry i expressed myself bad.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/21/2013 4:51 pm

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

Yes. That.

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

Yes. That.

Why don't you always eat the whole egg?

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/21/2013 5:17 pm

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

Yes. That.

>

why only egg white?

why not the full eggs?

Yes. That.

Why don't you always eat the whole egg?

Because i always crack the egg badly and eggshell ends up in the milk, plus i dont like the texture of the yolk when drinking it. Also in the mornings before going to class is easier to just open a bottle and pour some egg white in the milk than having to clean an egg, then crack it and remove bits of eggshell

MemberMember
(@gteen)

Posted : 06/21/2013 5:22 pm

Just make sure you are eating enough calories to gain weight, you dont want to spend money on a weight gainer and not backing it up by not eating enough natural foods too.

You want to gain 20 pounds of fat through sugar-laden weight gainers? That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. You might as well start eating McDonalds every day...

Try eating complex carbs such as steel-cut or rolled oats every morning. High protein intake through chicken, fish, eggs, milk, beans, etc. Vegetables such as sweet potatoes, broccoli, dark-leafy greens, carrots. Cut out all processed foods.

Combine that with a weekly weight-lifting routine including full upper-body and lower body exercises. I recommend googling "Scooby's Workshop" for free workout routines and meal plans. All you need is a set of dumbells.

I guarantee you're going to enjoy a better looking physique, better health, and more energy if you just eat properly and get some real exercise. No chemical-laden weight-gainers needed.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/21/2013 6:33 pm

Everyday i count how many calories i eat, its always near 3400-3500. But for me its very hard to gain weight, i gotta have the fastest metabolism on earth. Before having acne i used to eat very poorly, lots of unhealthy fats, lots of simple carbs, yet i've always been skinny and ripped. I could eat everyday at mcdonals and dinner every night at burguer king and i would still have a 6-pack. It may sound good to some people, but it's a nightmare when you need to put on some weight and there's no way on earth.

Just make sure you are eating enough calories to gain weight, you dont want to spend money on a weight gainer and not backing it up by not eating enough natural foods too.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/21/2013 10:30 pm

Calorie dense foods that could be considered "healthy" include:

• almonds
  • cashews
  • walnuts
  • peanut butter and almond butter
  • quinoa
  • oats
  • eggs
  • potatoes
  • hummus
  • pita chips
  • fruit smoothies
  • dried fruit
  • fruit juice
  • beans
  • avocados
  • oily fish like salmon and tuna
  • red meats (get grass fed)
  • olive oil

I advocate limiting grains, eggs, and other inflammatory foods for an anti-acne diet, but I figured I'd include them in the list anyway.

Granted, it will usually be relatively "easier" to load up on unhealthy calories like junk food than "clean" healthy calories, since part of feeling full and not being able to keep eating is your nutrient receptors telling your body it has received adequate nutrients from the meal you just ate. See the illustration below for an explanation of what I mean:

the-oils-that-make-up-junk-foods-like-fr

MemberMember
(@gteen)

Posted : 06/22/2013 10:30 am

On 6/22/2013 at 5:33 AM, xabier94 said:

Everyday i count how many calories i eat, its always near 3400-3500. But for me its very hard to gain weight, i gotta have the fastest metabolism on earth. Before having acne i used to eat very poorly, lots of unhealthy fats, lots of simple carbs, yet i've always been skinny and ripped. I could eat everyday at mcdonals and dinner every night at burguer king and i would still have a 6-pack. It may sound good to some people, but it's a nightmare when you need to put on some weight and there's no way on earth.

On 6/22/2013 at 4:22 AM, gteen said:

Read some articles on [Removed] there is loads related to beginners how struggle gaining weight.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 11:48 am

OP, forgot about egg white protein. It is also a complete protein, and ironically enough, while eggs are pretty inflammatory, dried egg whites are anti-inflammatory, thus egg white protein is anti-inflammatory.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:18 pm

OP, forgot about egg white protein. It is also a complete protein, and ironically enough, while eggs are pretty inflammatory, dried egg whites are anti-inflammatory, thus egg white protein is anti-inflammatory.

Thanks for the information, the other post about calorie dense healthy foods was very useful. Do you know if peanut butter is inflammatory? I know that is very calorie dense, but i always thought butters were bad for acne :S .

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:28 pm

Thanks for the information, the other post about calorie dense healthy foods was very useful. Do you know if peanut butter is inflammatory? I know that is very calorie dense, but i always thought butters were bad for acne :S .

Thankfully, peanut butter is anti-inflammatory. I eat a ton of peanut butter and almond butter. However, processed peanut butter with hydrogenated oils (trans fats) will be inflammatory and bad for you. Always aim for organic with no added salt or sugar. I like to get unsalted, unsweetened organic peanut butter and then add a little sea salt and Stevia powder at home to sweeten and salt to my liking.

I have seen many people who associate nut butters with causing them to break out, but I strongly believe they are either A) Consuming highly processed peanut butter with hydrogenated oils, and/or B) Making a false correlation.

Obviously if you have any sort of nut allergy this may affect things, but I eat peanut butter every day. There's also a neat product called PB2 which is powdered peanut butter. Sounds weird, but it's actually real peanut butter that they have extracted the fat from, but it retains its protein content. I have that too. You just mix it with a little water or sunflower oil or safflower oil to have real peanut butter. Or you can throw the powder in with protein shakes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/22/2013 12:28 pm

Egg whites are the part that most people are allergic to.

You don't avoid all inflammatory foods, especially good foods like eggs. You just consume more anti inflammatory foods than inflammatory.

Also, it depends on the egg. Eggs from pastured hens or hens fed flax seed will be higher in anti inflammatory omega 3 EFAs than those from CAFO grain fed hens.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:08 pm

You don't avoid all inflammatory foods, especially good foods like eggs. You just consume more anti inflammatory foods than inflammatory.

Also, it depends on the egg. Eggs from pastured hens or hens fed flax seed will be higher in anti inflammatory omega 3 EFAs than those from CAFO grain fed hens.

Eggs are one of the most nutrient-dense foods known to man. Unfortunately, they cause massive breakouts for me. I have tested this theory several times. All other things held constant, bringing eggs back into my diet for a few days caused immediate acne.

Acne is primarily caused by hormone imbalance, free radical formation, oxidative stress, and inflammation. Due to the types of saturated fats and cholesterol present in eggs, they are highly inflammatory. On NutritionData.com, 1 cup (220g) of scrambled eggs about 3.5 large eggs) has an inflammation factor of -219. Eggs also contain high amounts of iodine, which is known to exacerbate acne. The situation is even worse with commercial eggs, which usually come from factory farm chickens that are fed and/or injected with antibiotics and hormones, which promotes hormone imbalance and kills some good necessary bacteria.

Furthermore, there are loads of anecdotal evidence of many people reporting on forums, surveys, and message boards that they strongly believe eggs contributed to or worsened their acne. So while there is no scientific evidence directly linking eggs to causing acne, there is evidence that they probably do not improve your acne and in fact can make it worse. Remember that different people react differently to different things, so eggs may cause breakouts for some and not for others. This is why many people report great benefits from using a raw egg mask while others claim it caused a massive breakout. If you are an acne sufferer currently eating eggs every day, consider cutting them from your diet for a few weeks and see what happens. If you can eat eggs and not get breakouts, that's great, and I'm jealous! If you really want to get specific, you could try only eating the egg white and discarding the yolk, since most of the inflammatory fats are in the yolk. Like I said in a post above, powdered egg whites are actually anti-inflammatory, as are liquid pasteurized egg substitutes (usually called liquid egg whites). But it is also important to note that you can get everything eggs offer from other food sources.

Regarding flax, yes it extremely high in beneficial omega-3's, but most are actually ALA, which recent studies have linked to prostate cancer for males. Also, flax contains a high concentration of phytoestrogens, which again is bad for males, because it can get your hormones out of balance. About 6 months ago, I was consuming extremely large amounts of flax daily - whole flax seeds, ground flax seeds in shakes and on yogurt, flax milk for drinking and in cereal, and flax oil. I was mildly obsessed with flax. But I noticed I was unusually emotional and sensitive all the time. After some research I found out the flax was the culprit. Sadly, I have since cut flax completely from my diet. Sure, in moderation, it's probably fine. And in women, it probably won't do any harm in large amounts. But as a male, I now steer clear of flax.

The above is based on my own personal experience, and may or may not be the same for others.

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 06/22/2013 1:39 pm

i wish people stop saying keeping themselves in mind.

my friend TREATACNE here is allergic to nightshade members but night shade members have loads of good properties too.

tomato and capsicum are good in general.

same goes for eggs.

and its not a race about which is most nutritious and which isnt.

actually u cant classify anything as 'most' anyway.

egg is one very healthy food to eat.its a very commonly known fact.

but if one is intolerant or allergic then its a seperate story.

peanuts are good stuff(not the salted ones) but i have mild intolerance to it.

so should i claim that peanuts are bad?

MemberMember
(@abduliii)

Posted : 06/23/2013 5:24 pm

ive been working out for over 2 years now and I would recommend for you to never go near weight gainers. If you want to gain weight, do it gradually over a period of time. you dont want your body to take soo much calories at one time, yes thats right weight gainers are made to dump a load of calories at once. just eat normally, consume brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc to gain weight.

I took weigth gainer a few ago and went from 182 to 195 in lets say 2-4 weeks, and my stomach went from 6 pack to a one pack

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 06/23/2013 9:26 pm

ive been working out for over 2 years now and I would recommend for you to never go near weight gainers. If you want to gain weight, do it gradually over a period of time. you dont want your body to take soo much calories at one time, yes thats right weight gainers are made to dump a load of calories at once. just eat normally, consume brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc to gain weight.

I took weigth gainer a few ago and went from 182 to 195 in lets say 2-4 weeks, and my stomach went from 6 pack to a one pack

LOL the weight gainer did it's job buddy. It does not add muscle, it just provides calories with which it is up to you to utilize properly. It just sounds like you are taking in more calories than you are burning, this can be done with weight gainers OR real food. Your experience is user error my friend, weight gainers do a great job of conviently providing calories and you either took too much or didn't work out hard enough. Weight gainers are not a perfect product, but still not as bad as people credit them.

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 06/23/2013 10:53 pm

Eggs are one of the most nutrient-dense foods known to man. Unfortunately for me, they cause massive breakouts. I have tested this theory several times. All other things held constant, bringing eggs back into my diet for a few days caused immediate acne.

Acne is primarily caused by hormone imbalance, free radical formation, oxidative stress, and inflammation. Due to the types of saturated fats and cholesterol present in eggs, they are highly inflammatory. On NutritionData.com, 1 cup (220g) of scrambled eggs about 3.5 large eggs) has an inflammation factor of -219. Eggs also contain high amounts of iodine, which is known to exacerbate acne. The situation is even worse with commercial eggs, which usually come from factory farm chickens that are fed and/or injected with antibiotics and hormones, which promotes hormone imbalance and kills some good necessary bacteria.

Furthermore, there are loads of anecdotal evidence of many people reporting on forums, surveys, and message boards that they strongly believe eggs contributed to or worsened their acne. So while there is no scientific evidence directly linking eggs to causing acne, there is evidence that they probably do not improve your acne and in fact can make it worse. Remember that different people react differently to different things, so eggs may cause breakouts for some and not for others. This is why many people report great benefits from using a raw egg mask while others claim it caused a massive breakout. If you are an acne sufferer currently eating eggs every day, consider cutting them from your diet for a few weeks and see what happens. If you can eat eggs and not get breakouts, that's great, and I'm jealous! If you really want to get specific, you could try only eating the egg white and discarding the yolk, since most of the inflammatory fats are in the yolk. Like I said in a post above, powdered egg whites are actually anti-inflammatory, as are liquid pasteurized egg substitutes (usually called liquid egg whites). But it is also important to note that you can get everything eggs offer from other food sources.

Regarding flax, yes it extremely high in beneficial omega-3's, but most are actually ALA, which recent studies have linked to prostate cancer for males. Also, flax contains a high concentration of phytoestrogens, which again is bad for males, because it can get your hormones out of balance. About 6 months ago, I was consuming extremely large amounts of flax daily - whole flax seeds, ground flax seeds in shakes and on yogurt, flax milk for drinking and in cereal, and flax oil. I was mildly obsessed with flax. But I noticed I was unusually emotional and sensitive all the time. After some research I found out the flax was the culprit. Sadly, I have since cut flax completely from my diet. Sure, in moderation, it's probably fine. And in women, it probably won't do any harm in large amounts. But as a male, I now steer clear of flax.

How much flaxseed were you consuming on a daily basis?

Pasture raised eggs are one of nature's extremely nutritious foods. Too bad it gives me break outs as well...

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2013 12:45 pm

Eggs are one of the most nutrient-dense foods known to man. Unfortunately for me, they cause massive breakouts. I have tested this theory several times. All other things held constant, bringing eggs back into my diet for a few days caused immediate acne.

Well, I test it several times per week. Eggs do not break me out. And the board is also filled with people that don't break out from eggs.

That is an individual issue and you likely have an intolerance. If you are intolerant to something, it will be more inflammatory for you. And it might also directly form a pimple to form as part of the allergic response.

It is fairly common to be allergic to eggs. They are included in the list of the top 8 problematic foods. And it is the egg white that people are usually allergic to. And eggs from hens that eat their natural diet will be less problematic and possibly no problem at all. The majority of the top 8 problematic foods are foods high in lectins. The foods highest in lectins are seeds, especially grains, and products from grain fed animals. Nutritiondata doesn't have any data on eggs from pastured hens.

And I repeat. You don't avoid all inflammatory foods, especially good foods like eggs. You just consume more anti inflammatory foods than inflammatory. You do of course, avoid anything to which you have an intolerance.

Also. I was not suggesting you eat flax seed. I was suggesting the hens eat flax seed, or better yet insects, and worms and greens. The things they are supposed to eat.

Acne btw, is caused by a genetic tendency to impaired skin function regarding cell proliferation and desquamation and the epidermal barrier and lipid profile in your sebum.

MemberMember
(@johnh)

Posted : 06/24/2013 4:56 pm

Well, I test it several times per week. Eggs do not break me out. And the board is also filled with people that don't break out from eggs.

That is an individual issue and you likely have an intolerance.

Which is why I said "for me" and "my diet." I was not making a generalization. Like I also said above, I am jealous of people who can eat eggs and not break out. They are very nutritious and I love eating them, so that's great that they do not break you out. I have bolded parts of my post above to make it clear that it is my own personal experience.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/25/2013 9:49 am

That is an individual issue and you likely have an intolerance.

Which is why I said "for me" and "my diet." I was not making a generalization. Like I also said above, I am jealous of people who can eat eggs and not break out. They are very nutritious and I love eating them, so that's great that they do not break you out. I have bolded parts of my post above to make it clear that it is my own personal experience.

Opps. My bad. I missed the 'for me.' And didn't really read the rest of the essay. I dont know why you wrote all that in response to my clarifications on anti-inflammatory diets and the factors that affect how inflammatory an egg and how nutritiondata doesn't have information on good eggs from properly fed hens.

And since you are intolerant to eggs, it's puzzling that you keep telling people to eat the only the part of the egg that contains the substances people are intolerant to.

MemberMember
(@xabier94)

Posted : 08/12/2013 1:08 pm

Just wanted to let yall know that at the end i did not try the weight gainer.

I just made my own homemade weight gainer, no acne breakouts, and it helped me to put on a lil bit of weight, but im starting to give up on my mission.

Not lack of will, i just like being skinny fit, and while it may be a problem when playing basketball at my level, it has a lot of benefits, clothes fit me well and girls like skinny boys, so its all good.

And while i may have trouble playing defense against bigger guards, im the shit on the offensive end of the court lol, so im starting to like the idea of coming off the bench as an offensive weapon, ill be a poor mans allen iverson. very poor haha

MemberMember
(@o-havoc-o)

Posted : 08/13/2013 10:45 am

Good day.

I'm 19, 6'1 and 155 pounds, and i'm trying to gain weight, would like to add 20 pounds during the summer.

After taking antibiotics i've been clear for 2 months, but i still eat an "anti-acne" diet, even though i've been eating more bread, more pasta etc. lately.

My concern is: do weight gainers make acne-prone people break out? I really need to put on weight, but i also dont want to have acne again after 2 months of being clear.

So if anyone has information about this topic, please tell me.

Thanks for reading this post.

Weight gainers are a load of crap in general.

Want to gain weight? Eat more calories from nutrient dense foods.