Notifications
Clear all

Dehydrated Skin Problem

MemberMember
(@sallyy75)

Posted : 06/06/2014 1:57 am

I would say that the main suggestion here would be: drink more watter. Better green tea. I used matcha green tea supplied by Pure Chimp and I have meneged to get rid of the problem connected to my skin.

MemberMember
(@prettysam)

Posted : 06/14/2014 1:41 am

Drinking plenty of water every day or some herbal teas, natural fruit juices can help you to re-hydrate your body and skin. You can also apply some natural facial masks that have coconut oil or argan oil. Oils are the best skin moisturizer and it leaves our skin hydrated and smooth.

MemberMember
(@afantastic)

Posted : 06/16/2014 4:20 pm

Drinking plenty of water every day or some herbal teas, natural fruit juices can help you to re-hydrate your body and skin. You can also apply some natural facial masks that have coconut oil or argan oil. Oils are the best skin moisturizer and it leaves our skin hydrated and smooth.

Your confusing the issue here prettysam, dehydrated skin simply means that the outer layer that holds the water content in the skin is damaged, the skin still supports itself with sebum (oils). dehydrated skin is completely different to dry skin.

Dry = Lack of Oil.

Dehydrated = Lack of Water.

I agree that drinking water will help your skin however with dehydrated skin no matter how much water you ingest the skin will simply evaporate and not be able to hold onto. Facial masks need to be avoided as the skins barrier is already broken and the process of rebuilding this is by way of extreme gentle daily regimen. Oils wont solve the issue either as oils only help skin that are low in sebum secretion, this is a sign of dry skin not dehydrated skin. Dehydrated skin has already enough oil created and even more so as its lack of water content confuses the glands. Please research before giving incorrect advice to people suffering from this.

I would say that the main suggestion here would be: drink more watter. Better green tea. I used matcha green tea supplied by Pure Chimp and I have meneged to get rid of the problem connected to my skin.

sallyy75, I agree that drinking fluids is a priority but with severe dehydrated skin it will not solve this issue alone. Drinking detoxifiying hot drinks does little to nothing by way of solving this issue. I beleive your issue was not connected to dehydrated skin as dehydrated skin is a chronic skin issue and not something easily solved.

Just a quick update guys. I've been using Retin-A for about 6-7 months now and It's made my skin far better than what it was previously. I've also found an Oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen to use in the day that protects from the suns rays. I will continue to use the Retin-A as it's really awesome stuff. It has made my skin texture look lots better, evened out the tone a touch, and made my skin hold on to moisture more easily. My skin still gets dry and peels though, but that can be greatly reduced by using CeraVe cream at night 1hr after.

So if you guys haven't found anything that works yet, give some Retin-A a try (use 0.025% at first with zinc oxide spf 30 sunscreen).

Kudos on the skin improvment - glad to hear good results!

6-7 months is a long time with this chemical - is your skin sore?

Have you before and after pictures please?

What kind of sunscreen did you use?

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 06/17/2014 1:34 am

Your confusing the issue here prettysam, dehydrated skin simply means that the outer layer that holds the water content in the skin is damaged, the skin still supports itself with sebum (oils). dehydrated skin is completely different to dry skin.

Dry = Lack of Oil.

Dehydrated = Lack of Water.

I agree that drinking water will help your skin however with dehydrated skin no matter how much water you ingest the skin will simply evaporate and not be able to hold onto. Facial masks need to be avoided as the skins barrier is already broken and the process of rebuilding this is by way of extreme gentle daily regimen. Oils wont solve the issue either as oils only help skin that are low in sebum secretion, this is a sign of dry skin not dehydrated skin. Dehydrated skin has already enough oil created and even more so as its lack of water content confuses the glands. Please research before giving incorrect advice to people suffering from this.

>I would say that the main suggestion here would be: drink more watter. Better green tea. I used matcha green tea supplied by Pure Chimp and I have meneged to get rid of the problem connected to my skin.

sallyy75, I agree that drinking fluids is a priority but with severe dehydrated skin it will not solve this issue alone. Drinking detoxifiying hot drinks does little to nothing by way of solving this issue. I beleive your issue was not connected to dehydrated skin as dehydrated skin is a chronic skin issue and not something easily solved.

Just a quick update guys. I've been using Retin-A for about 6-7 months now and It's made my skin far better than what it was previously. I've also found an Oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen to use in the day that protects from the suns rays. I will continue to use the Retin-A as it's really awesome stuff. It has made my skin texture look lots better, evened out the tone a touch, and made my skin hold on to moisture more easily. My skin still gets dry and peels though, but that can be greatly reduced by using CeraVe cream at night 1hr after.

So if you guys haven't found anything that works yet, give some Retin-A a try (use 0.025% at first with zinc oxide spf 30 sunscreen).

Kudos on the skin improvment - glad to hear good results!

6-7 months is a long time with this chemical - is your skin sore?

Have you before and after pictures please?

What kind of sunscreen did you use?

My skin was dry and flaked alot (Not much redness). I just used it every 2 days until I upped it to everyday for about 7 months. I think Retin-A should be used if you have tried all other means . After coming off, the dry skin went and looked great ever since. I used Blue Lizard SPF 30 as it's oil-free.

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 08/11/2014 9:53 am

bump

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/11/2014 12:09 pm

Spritz face with water all day, whenever you can. Evian also makes aerosol facial mist, but it's unnecessarily costly.

Add a small amount of Vitamin E oil to the water, shake well. (The E is to protect the damaged epidermis so the skin can retain water.)

Oil rebound comes from both dehydration and overmedicating/overwashing, which destroys the the skin's water barrier.

MemberMember
(@sydboi)

Posted : 09/17/2014 4:25 pm

Bump.

I have that really lined, crinkly, crepey, roughy, open pored looking skin texture also. My skin became severely dehydrated from a clinic that ruined my skin and gave me bad advice on my home care routine.

I am currently using Osmosis and Cosmedix products, which are supposed to help with skin barrier issues. I am using Retin aldehyde (spelling?) 0.6% every night, which also has niacinamide and chlorella vulgaris in it etc. I also use a mild Aha/BHA cleanser every second night, and the other nights I use a deep cleanser that doesn't destroy skin lipids or the barrier but uses coconut surfactants in it I think. I then use a moisturiser with hyaluronic acid in it, Shea butter etc and it doesn't break me out, followed by an SPF that contains d-beta fructan, which is supposed to increase water moisturiser content.

My aesthetician is monitoring my skin very closely and my routine. My clogged pores and acne has calmed down heaps, and the products above don't make my skin tighter or break me out. She wants to add a mild aha/BHA serum for the day for the few pimples I still get.

I've only been on this routine for a few months, but my crinkly texture doesn't get better. She says my skin isn't as dehydrated, and sometimes it feels better. But confusingly, as my beard hair grows, my skin looks rougher and more dehydrated. When I trim it very closely (read TRIM not SHAVE) my skin looks a little less lined and rough. Very weird.

I want to continue on the retinaldehyde because I want it to help produce collagen in case my dermis is thinned from over exfoliation and chemical peels. I also want it to help the atrophic scarring that has resulted recently before my skin got under control.

Is there any test I can do to check the skin, and it's water content, as well as the thickness of my dermis? I was thinking the VISIA...

I've seen people with worse acne atrophic scarring than mine, but they still have this nice plump skin. My whole skin looks worse because the texture looks so rough and textured and crinkly. It gets me so so down.

Again a long winded question/answer/whine, but I couldn't help it lol. :/

MemberMember
(@brittnynicole)

Posted : 09/29/2014 1:07 am

Exactly what I'm going through some days I look as young as 15 but whenever I exfoliate to remove the heaps of dead skin build up and flakes I look like I'm way older it really frustrating and really hurts my self confidence some days I shut myself in the house cause I'm ashamed of going out I just don't understand why I get dead skin build up like this and whenever I remove it I use a washcloth lightly to scrub and I still end up with wrinkly big pores and oily skin for a couple days till it heals..

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 01/06/2015 5:44 pm

I've started using a Vitamin C serum to a positive effect. I belive Vitamin C has the ability to repair the dermis as well as the epidermis if it is at 10% and above with a low Ph (3.5 and below). If peoples skin has been thinned and damaged by a product, I believe a Vitamin C serum could be all what's required to help you guys out.

You can make your own serum cheaply enough if you get L-ascorbic acid and some pure water if you're confident enough. Alternatively, you can do what i have done and just bought one off Ebay.

Remember: look for low ph and 10% minimum for a serum.

Give it 6 months.

MemberMember
(@im66)

Posted : 01/06/2015 9:47 pm

By "dehydrated skin", I'll assume you mean "dry skin". I've got a similar problem and cured it with something so simple... it's been around forever...

Vaseline.

It's got 97% moisture retention, more then the next best thing, Coconut Oil at 20%.

What I do is a spray a mist of cold water from a spray bottle on my face immediately after coming out of a shower (nothing touches my face, not even a towel - you should always air-dry your face, regardless) and put on a thin film of 100% Pure Petroleum Jelly, specifically the Vaseline brand because I trust only name-brands when it comes to my skin health.

Worked like a charm the first night and every night after that. I wake up with smooth, hydrated skin every morning and never need to put on an extra cream.

Mind you this was a HUGE deal for me, being the guy who always had the Sahara Desert on my face every morning. Even after a hot shower my skin isn't dry. It's pretty unreal.

Just make sure you're not allergic to Petroleum. While it cannot clog pores, you still could have a reaction to the ingredient and breakout. I'd put a bit of it in once area of your face and see how it goes for a night, just to play it safe.

Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@prettysam)

Posted : 05/02/2015 12:03 am

Drinking lots of water keeps you hydrated. 8 to 10 glasses of water will do. Fruits and vegetable help you keep hydrated also.

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 06/14/2015 9:40 am

Solved!

I have restored my skin to the best it can possibly be by cleansing with a gentle cleanser (i recommend ceraVe) using only COOL water, followed up by a moistruzier with ceramides (Cerave PM).

Since doing this after building up the deeper layers of my skin (using retinols), my skin is able to hold onto moisture better than ever!

Never ever use hot/warm water on your face if you suffer from this.

The epidermis can be helped by building block ingredients such as Niacinamide, Oils like avocado, ceramides, and vitamin C.

My routine AM:

(optional) Cleanse with coolish/cold water. It depends if I need to shave.

Apply SPF 30 in summer months (15 in winter). I like Blue Lizard and CeraVe.

PM:

Cleanse with CeraVe foaming cleanser with cool/cold water.

Apply Cerave PM (it has niacinamide, ceramides).

If you have discolouration, the niacinamide will help that melanin fade.

PM if you have questions.

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 06/18/2015 2:52 pm

Hey xninja glad your skin is better.

I been using sweet almond oil for three days and my skin is 75percent better. All the dehydrated lines on my skin is gone.. My skin looks soft and healthy .im so happy this dehydrated skin is almost gone.i will update in a week

I have the natures bounty sweet almond oil. The ingredients are sweet almond oil and vitamin E .

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 12/14/2015 4:20 am

Ok quick update.i never had dehydrated skin.i had seb derm on my forehead and t zone,cheeks and chin.i fixthis with head and shoulders shampoo 2 in 1 conditioner .i would use itevery other day to wash my face.i will leave it on for 7 mins and rinse.fixit in couple of weeks. And one more thing every month I would rotate shampoo like selsun blue.so the seb derm aka fungus won't get use to the shampoo . Hope this help

MemberMember
(@xmaemarie1988)

Posted : 02/10/2016 4:36 pm

Okay so rarejr.. you spent how long trying to fix it and then found at it was fungus and was healed in a matter of weeks? So you use shampoo only and nothing else ? My skin isn't dry feeling but it is constantly flaky and my pores get clogged and I get that sand paper texture. I honestly think mine is fungal related also.

MemberMember
(@jp008)

Posted : 05/28/2016 10:39 pm

Rarejr, do you apply moisturizer after washing with the H&S shampoo?

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 10/08/2017 4:39 pm

Yes I have seb derm.forehead cheeks and chin area.I thought it was dry skin but it wasn't .I use many oils and lotion but that only made my skin redder and flaky because the oils and lotion will feed the yeast aka seb derm and flare up

.so now I only wash my face with cerave forming face wash.and applied Lotrim ultra fungus cream on my face to kill the yeast. I have oily skin so if I don't wash my face for more than 9 hrs I will get a seb derm flare because the sebum will feed the fungus.it took couple of days for the fungus cream to work.and sweet food would flare the seb derm. Sun help kill the yeast so get some sun..

also if you Google oils and lotion feed seb derm you will find that many oils and face lotion feed the yeast fungus..I use the cerave pm lotion on my face .this lotion don't feed the fungus.but I have oily skin so I only use moisturizer rarely.

I know for a fact it's seb derm aka fungus yeast.. how do I know .well if don't wash my face for like 10 hrs I will get a seb derm flare like red flaky scaly skin on my oily area.this happen from the oil sebum build up on your skin feeding the yeast.

And if I use oils or lotion I will get a flare too. So I just wash my face every 7 to 8 hrs. And apply some lotrim ultra fungus cream on my face. And the sun helps a lot..

I spend like 4 years trying to fix this with oils and cream but it never work.it just made it worse. It was seb derm all along. Just do what I did to fix the fungus skin for couple days to 4 weeks. And if you see improvement then you know it's seb derm.

Go to the last page.UPDATE check my new post

MemberMember
(@rarejr)

Posted : 12/12/2018 2:57 am

Update Dec 2018

Hi.yes i had seb derm.its fungus and it can feed on manyoils and products.here is two links that can help you with this problem.Medsage me back if you have any questions.i moisturize with only mct oil or squalane oil.this is the only oils that dont feed the fungus aka seb derm.make sure to use safe products that dont feed the fungus. GL

https://www.reddit.com/r/SebDerm/

https://simpleskincarescience.com/pityrosporum -folliculitis-treatment-malassezia-cure/

Make sure to use a safe moisturize.I use squalane oil from timeless.you can find this on Amazon.white vinegar on face for 40 sec once a day can help kill the fungus.make sure to moisturize with squalane oil so you wont get dry skin

MemberMember
(@j_kimberly)

Posted : 09/04/2019 4:46 am

On 4/6/2014 at 5:31 PM, aFantastic said:

BUMP!!

How is everyone getting on with treating their dehydrated skin? Ive been putting oatmeal (beta glutens) in a bowl of luke warm water and spooning the cream off the top to cleanse my face, leaving it on for 10 minutes then splashing with cold water, followed by argan oil. It seems to be helping a lot. Although my skin still looks dehydrated. May take a long time to heal. Was thinking of adding pure shea butter after the argan oil. Thoughts?

Hope everyone is managing to finally get somewhere with a cure!

I shower every other day which making my dry skinworse. So I usemore of the natural oilsto keep naturally moisturized. My favorite solution is an almond oil, applied while in the shower with a scrubby exfoliating towel.That gets the dead skin off and hydrates the new skin and, with the scrubby towel, you can get all those hard to reach places like the middle of your back. Then, after the shower, I may also apply regular skin lotion.
I also have a humidifier - this is mostly for my wood floors but also helps the skin - like a lot.

As for skincare products, I only use moisturizer, lovino, i think when I've gone swimming due to the chemicals drying me out even more.