Notifications
Clear all

Dehydrated Skin Problem

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/19/2013 4:29 pm

I have a 12% niacinamide spray serum....how come the % is so much higher than what most of you are using? I ordered it through amazon (Iron Power) and it's called NiaSerum. Has anyone heard of this? Will 12% be too strong for my skin? I have been using it for a few days on and off so it's too soon to tell if it's having an impact.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/20/2013 9:59 pm

I'm still using the niacinamide but I am not seeing any difference in my skin sad.png

you havent been using it that long and are you using glucosamine as well? give it time

I have a 12% niacinamide spray serum....how come the % is so much higher than what most of you are using? I ordered it through amazon (Iron Power) and it's called NiaSerum. Has anyone heard of this? Will 12% be too strong for my skin? I have been using it for a few days on and off so it's too soon to tell if it's having an impact.

that's because i found out how to make mines through searching through forums and looking at diy serums. i don't trust other formulations. i don't know why theirs is so high. you can't trust every skin care product company. their website even looks shady. i checked out the ingredients of that stuff and it don't seem so bad...just niacinamide, glycerin and water...but i don't like glycerin lol.. that's me, then again. do what you think is best for your skin. it's easy just to make your own.

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 08/09/2013 10:22 am

Just wondering how everyone is getting on? I wonder if rarejr has had any success. I've had to restart everything because i was not getting anywhere with oils and creams. I think i understand what Cubed means when you should only use the toner to get results. 2 months can't come any quicker ^.^ I've put distilled water, Niacinamide powder (make sure it's cosmetic grade, otherwise it might not work), N-Acetyl glucosamine and a preservative called germaben, which is very good in water at 0.3-1%. 5% niacinamide and 2% NAG is what i went for in the end. I also spray on the face and rub in around, making sure it covers evenly. I will update in october and give some feedback.

MemberMember
(@misst22)

Posted : 08/09/2013 12:38 pm

Hi I havent had any luck with the niacinamide spray :/ yh I wonder how rarejr is getting on. He seems to have dissapeared

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/10/2013 2:38 pm

Hey guys, I'm back with another possible healer for our skin. It's called turmeric powder! I have read reviews of how good it is for skin and also, I have read some studies about the curcumin in turmeric and how it helps heal wounds, and how it protects rat skin from uvb radiation! It could possibly work for helping the skin heal. I have used it and I really enjoy the results so far but it takes time to know for sure. Give it a try. Some warnings, it can stain stuff, wear gloves, be gentle when applying, make sure u use an oil when applying the mask so that ur face doesn't look stained yellow. Don't scrub hard if ur face looks stained also...be gentle in removing the yellow with oil and wet paper towel. Or for me, I'm trying some put in a bottle, with distilled water and spraying it on my face and the yellow doesn't stain my face but I

am dark brown so it doesn't show up much even if I look at myself in natural light.

I hope this helps guys. I'm not trying to add confusion, just thought you might wanna try the niacinamide toner and turmeric together to intensify results.

I truly care for your success!! I'm liking how my skin looks. Hope u guys get to ur desired skin health. Any questions? Just ask

Other good news about turmeric is that you can find it anywhere and its cheap. Try going to a store like sprouts where u can get as much or as little as you want for trial testing.

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 08/11/2013 9:01 am

Turmeric powder. I've heard of that before, but used in a mask for acne lesions. I'm sticking with the Niacinamide and NAG toner until i have repaired what damage i have done. I have a couple of questions:

1. Washing. Is it OK to wash once a day at night with a few spashes before putting on the toner solution? I would use cleansers but i feel that they might be stripping the skin and thwarting progress.

2. If you don't mind be asking, Cubed, but what did your skin look like when you initially caused the damage? I'm just asking because i want to see if i can make parallels with my own damage to see if there are any similarities.

Thanks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/12/2013 1:24 pm

Turmeric powder. I've heard of that before, but used in a mask for acne lesions. I'm sticking with the Niacinamide and NAG toner until i have repaired what damage i have done. I have a couple of questions:

1. Washing. Is it OK to wash once a day at night with a few spashes before putting on the toner solution? I would use cleansers but i feel that they might be stripping the skin and thwarting progress.

2. If you don't mind be asking, Cubed, but what did your skin look like when you initially caused the damage? I'm just asking because i want to see if i can make parallels with my own damage to see if there are any similarities.

Thanks.

Hey you never know, trying a little turmeric in the beginning may just accelerate progress! I wish I had tried it in the beginning of my process. oh well.

1. washing is tricky! i never really washed my face...unless it got really dirty or something or i was in a really dirty environment (and when i washed it, i always used oil cleansing but without the steam...just massaging oil on and gently wiping off). anyway, splashing with water shouldn't hurt. make sure it's distilled...and don't rub too hard with a towel or paper or cloth. just be as gentle as possible...and maybe do it every other day! ?

i only have experience not washing at all...because i was paranoid.

2. my skin before: very, very dull. no shine, no brightness, no glow whatsoever. oily, though. looked paper thin. in the beginning i broke out like crazy until i realized what the heck i was doing, removing my skin lipids and acid mantle. i would push my nose up and i saw crepey skin. my cheeks when i did a kissy face would have the same crepey texture. the crepey texture is still slightly there but way better than before. but i just remember really dull, sickly looking kind of skin. with a crepey texture. and before i broke out. i developed some fine lines on my forehead...and almost on the bridge of my nose right between my eyes...but i was able to prevent that from getting really bad.

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 08/15/2013 1:07 pm

Thanks.

Hey you never know, trying a little turmeric in the beginning may just accelerate progress! I wish I had tried it in the beginning of my process. oh well.

1. washing is tricky! i never really washed my face...unless it got really dirty or something or i was in a really dirty environment (and when i washed it, i always used oil cleansing but without the steam...just massaging oil on and gently wiping off). anyway, splashing with water shouldn't hurt. make sure it's distilled...and don't rub too hard with a towel or paper or cloth. just be as gentle as possible...and maybe do it every other day! ?

2. my skin before: very, very dull. no shine, no brightness, no glow whatsoever. oily, though. looked paper thin. in the beginning i broke out like crazy until i realized what the heck i was doing, removing my skin lipids and acid mantle. i would push my nose up and i saw crepey skin. my cheeks when i did a kissy face would have the same crepey texture. the crepey texture is still slightly there but way better than before. but i just remember really dull, sickly looking kind of skin. with a crepey texture. and before i broke out. i developed some fine lines on my forehead...and almost on the bridge of my nose right between my eyes...but i was able to prevent that from getting really bad.

Thanks for the reply

I think i have to agree now with not washing. I am going to use the Nia-nag toner twice a day without washing and see how i get on. This is similar to a caveman regimen, but letting the vitamin actives in the toner to do its work.

Yeah, i totally get really dull skin. It doesnt have any glow nor does it look even in texture/colour. truly the definition of moistureless . I also find it does somewhat look thin like you mention. So i am right to believe that you refrained from washing for 2 months whilst using the toner before you noticed it started to look better?

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/15/2013 7:08 pm

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply

I think i have to agree now with not washing. I am going to use the Nia-nag toner twice a day without washing and see how i get on. This is similar to a caveman regimen, but letting the vitamin actives in the toner to do its work.

Yeah, i totally get really dull skin. It doesnt have any glow nor does it look even in texture/colour. truly the definition of moistureless . I also find it does somewhat look thin like you mention. So i am right to believe that you refrained from washing for 2 months whilst using the toner before you noticed it started to look better?

yes...i didn't wash while using the toner day and night. but be careful to be as hygienic as possible. keep hands clean. don't touch your face. because you don't want to get an infection. not washing your face is bad enough...but leaving the skin alone helps.

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 08/19/2013 10:48 am

Just one last question (You're probably starting to get annoyed at me now lol)

Is it OK to blot the oil off your skin during the day? Since i have stopped washing my face, it can get slightly oily during the day. It isnt massive amounts, but it just looks worse if i leave it. I'm just asking because i don't want to hurt my process. BTW i do it lightly.. i don't scrub.

MemberMember
(@ancoraimparo)

Posted : 08/20/2013 7:42 am

Hey Cubed,

I've been suffering from skin dehydration for about a year now. I would like to try this. Could you post where you got your products from? I want to get the right things for this to prevent further damage. Could you also post the directions for making this? Would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/20/2013 9:15 pm

Just one last question (You're probably starting to get annoyed at me now lol)

Is it OK to blot the oil off your skin during the day? Since i have stopped washing my face, it can get slightly oily during the day. It isnt massive amounts, but it just looks worse if i leave it. I'm just asking because i don't want to hurt my process. BTW i do it lightly.. i don't scrub.

yeah that's fine! i have to do the same sometimes...no biggie

Hey Cubed,

I've been suffering from skin dehydration for about a year now. I would like to try this. Could you post where you got your products from? I want to get the right things for this to prevent further damage. Could you also post the directions for making this? Would help a lot. Thanks in advance.

i mean, you could look through the thread. it gets a bit tedious typing the same things over and over.

i got my products from various sources: garden of wisdom, skin actives, lotion crafters...garden of wisdom has good products.

put 1 teaspoon of niacinamide, 2 teaspoons of n acetyl glucosamine in a 3 oz of distilled water. shake. use once in morning once at night.

avoid using abrasive, soapy ingredients on the face. be gentle.

if u need a moisturizer use emu oil.

a great mask u can do every other day is turmeric because it has been tested to help with skin aging and protecting skin from the sun (in mice)

it's better than not using sunscreen

be careful, it stains...so use only at night...if u need to add yogurt, emu oil, or flour to prevent staining or help staining come off

those are all my steps...

be as hygienic as possible to avoid skin rashes and the like.

hope this was specific enough

if u have an oily skin problem consider avoiding all dairy products from milk to cheese to yogurt...internally

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 09/02/2013 2:07 pm

It's been 3 weeks today. Still looks the same, although my face feels really taut and the surface feels thirsty biggrin.png. Skin still looks thin and gets dull very quickly after waking up. I still sometimes wake up and it looks good only for it to go bad :S . Surprisingly, i've had very little oil and no peeling or skin shedding that is visible. Strange. I've had acne forming on my chin and around my mouth. Nothing major though. Bring on the next few weeks.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/02/2013 9:19 pm

It's been 3 weeks today. Still looks the same, although my face feels really taut and the surface feels thirsty biggrin.png. Skin still looks thin and gets dull very quickly after waking up. I still sometimes wake up and it looks good only for it to go bad :S . Surprisingly, i've had very little oil and no peeling or skin shedding that is visible. Strange. I've had acne forming on my chin and around my mouth. Nothing major though. Bring on the next few weeks.

keep up the good fight. you can do it. also, dont forget to give turmeric a try. keep us updated

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/18/2013 7:26 pm

hey guys,

i wanna update you on a new discovery:

beta glucans or oat beta glucans!

i suggest you do your own research...but people in forums think that it works miracles for regenerating the skin.

i am thinking of buying my own and testing it out and letting you know what happens.

my skin is fine, but i want it to be even better, ya know....

so...yeah, i hope that if any of the other methods aren't working for you, give beta glucans a try. and some people say it works pretty quickly...and the researcher said it could possibly work in 10 days! that's what i'm talking about!

ttyl

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/22/2013 12:42 am

hey i want to add that i have started using sunscreen, too. it has taken me a long time to commit to sunscreen because i have been so afraid of lotions but i think i have found one that is pretty good: it's by a company called everyday coconut and it's their daily facial lotion with 15spf...using zinc oxide as the blocker. so far i really like it and it doesn't make my face too oily. i think it's helping my skin to heal even better now that the sun is not beating down upon it daily.

[Edited link out]

read that article. it's quite terrifying and i thank God He has shown me the importance of using sunscreen.

hope this is of further help, dears.

MemberMember
(@starhchiik)

Posted : 11/04/2013 5:22 am

If your skin is dehydrated collagen doesn't function properly right? I mean not only am I dealing with large pores from over exfoliating, my eyes seem to be hollowing out and I have dark smile lines aswell and I don't know if addressing the dehydration will resume normal collagen.. I started taking hyaluronic acid pills three days ago so I'll keep it posted. I live in the UK so I'm having a hard time locating beta glucans and niacin and NAG, sigh. My skin is dull and dairy increases my pore sizze and gives me acne. The doctors gave me tetracyline and I have no more acne, I think I'm gonna take these till I sort my skin out, in order to prevent scarring

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/30/2013 3:06 pm

Just try to buy the products online. Use sunscreeen. Be patient. You have to heal your skin and then collagen can form properly. Avoiding the sun helps skin form collagen and cells properly.

If your skin is dehydrated collagen doesn't function properly right? I mean not only am I dealing with large pores from over exfoliating, my eyes seem to be hollowing out and I have dark smile lines aswell and I don't know if addressing the dehydration will resume normal collagen.. I started taking hyaluronic acid pills three days ago so I'll keep it posted. I live in the UK so I'm having a hard time locating beta glucans and niacin and NAG, sigh. My skin is dull and dairy increases my pore sizze and gives me acne. The doctors gave me tetracyline and I have no more acne, I think I'm gonna take these till I sort my skin out, in order to prevent scarring

MemberMember
(@oasis999)

Posted : 01/07/2014 8:06 pm

I still don't know why many of you do not believe you have certain dermatitis which cause seemingly dehydrated looks on your skin.

Skin barriers can recover easily without the disruption of external factors ( fungal, bacteria etc) just like those people who have fire burned skin could recover within a few months and they do not have visible pores or dehydrated look.

Malassezia is commensal which means most people have it without many problems but under certain conditions they can over grow and cause many different skin problems. They can invade skin especially when the skin barriers are weak and damage (by soap or harsh skin products) or the immune systems are weak.

Two years ago, I started to have many acnes and greasy face after using facial foam with soap base (I already had mild dandruff before this). Most acnes disappeared after a few weeks of tea tree oily treatment but I started to have many whiteheads, blackheads and enlarged pores, skin was still oily. I guessed that's the result malassezia escaped from the upper layer and moved to pores. I squzze some whiteheads and blackheas from my nose and found they were just similar to dandruff just like dandruff in facial pores. I found the same type of dead skin around my neck, my chest and my back (I got acnes around these spots too but now I know they were indeed Malassezia/pityrosporum folliculitis). I knew all this mess was caused by fungal after doing my own research. Even the skin oil was very irritating since it was no longer the same skin oily after metabolizing my malassezia. I also found an article from a dermatologist and he said "Skin looks dehydrated but in fact it is inflammed". I was quite sure this was malassezia dermatitis which is still not known by many dermatologists and patients.

I started to try some antifungal topicals and they did not work quite well, I guess malassezia infected too deep for those topical to reach the spot. Oral antifungal was the solution to me. I found itraconazole has the lowest side effects among all others, I used this before to treat my fungal nails. I took 200mg tiwce a day for a week and stoped for 3 weeks and repeated the same for 2 months. After 8 weeks, my smooth skin came back without the greasy feeling, dandruff stopped, most whiteheads and all acnes on chest and back were gone. Malassezia is tough occupants and they are very hard to eliminate so I take one 200 mg itraconazole every 3 weeks to keep it in bay at the sametime I have my liver function monitored too but I have no issue with my liver function by now.

Many dermatologists refused to treat malassezia as they think it is commensal instead they prescribe antibotics which make the skin problems worse, the reason is simply antibiotics kill good bacteria which can live against malassezia.

The weakened skin barriers lead to infection of bacteria or fungal, while the skin inflammation is the real cause. Skin inflammation do not have to be red but in many cases they can be invisible, people just do not realise this.

I hope my stories can add some insights to people who insist in skin barriers play a big role to this dehydrated skin problems. I do not mean malassezia causes problems to everyone but try think about every possiblilties and not to stick to one route. It's alwasy trial and errors when dealing this kind of frustrating problems.

Xeena liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/17/2014 2:50 am

What works is using a healing substance such as (oat beta glucans & niacinamide & n acetyl glucosamine) twice a day. Cleansing your skin not too often. Protecting your skin with a good UVA covering sunscreen like L'Oreal UV Perfect with Tinosorb and Mexoryl (the best UVA protectors).

That's been healing my skin lately even better.

So I know there is hope.

Don't give up.

MemberMember
(@ashleyg54)

Posted : 02/09/2014 2:11 am

Using sunscreen is a great idea! Use a lotion, spray, gel or other tropical product that absorbs or reflects some of the sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation on the skin exposed to sunlight. Just select the right SPF level depending on the damage on your skin. Update us on what will happen!

MemberMember
(@niftyneck)

Posted : 04/01/2014 1:27 pm

How can you even think of using sun screen?

Your skin is damaged and sun screen is full of shit. No matter what kind you use. You think that a little bit of sunlight is going to ruin your skin? I think you already did a far better job yourself. The last thing damaged skin needs is poreclogging, fragranced, drying sun screen.

I have dehydrated skin too, after reading most of the posts in this thread I think it might not be as severe as what some of you seem to deal with.

Cubed I don't understand how you can offer advice so easily. These people will blindly follow what ever they read online which is why there skin is how it is. I did the same btw. Do you still not understand that products work very differently on people's skin? When cosmetic products destroyed your skin you want to cure it by using even more??? I can only tell you one thing: if your problems are as bad as it sounds GO SEE A FVCKING DOCTOR. And stop using shit on your face. And if you don't understand it: In your case EVERYTHING is SHIT.

MemberMember
(@afantastic)

Posted : 04/06/2014 4:31 pm

BUMP!!

How is everyone getting on with treating their dehydrated skin? Ive been putting oatmeal (beta glutens) in a bowl of luke warm water and spooning the cream off the top to cleanse my face, leaving it on for 10 minutes then splashing with cold water, followed by argan oil. It seems to be helping a lot. Although my skin still looks dehydrated. May take a long time to heal. Was thinking of adding pure shea butter after the argan oil. Thoughts?

Hope everyone is managing to finally get somewhere with a cure!

MemberMember
(@afantastic)

Posted : 05/21/2014 5:29 pm

Ive recently read studies that using a 2% niacinimide (aka nicotinimide) can reduce the sebum creation on skin which in effect helps with acne. With regard to dehydrated skin (loss of water content) would using this product cause dry (loss of oil content) issues in the long run.

There is plenty to say that it helps repair a skin barrier, but as with everything I think using it without going over board may be essential.

thoughts?

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16766489

MemberMember
(@xninja)

Posted : 06/04/2014 11:49 am

Just a quick update guys. I've been using Retin-A for about 6-7 months now and It's made my skin far better than what it was previously. I've also found an Oil-free SPF 30 sunscreen to use in the day that protects from the suns rays. I will continue to use the Retin-A as it's really awesome stuff. It has made my skin texture look lots better, evened out the tone a touch, and made my skin hold on to moisture more easily. My skin still gets dry and peels though, but that can be greatly reduced by using CeraVe cream at night 1hr after.

So if you guys haven't found anything that works yet, give some Retin-A a try (use 0.025% at first with zinc oxide spf 30 sunscreen).