Notifications
Clear all

Examples Of How Bad Our 'health' Care System Has Become

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 07/17/2012 2:29 pm

if nuts break me out and im allergic to avocado, where should i get my fat from?

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 07/17/2012 9:17 pm

if nuts break me out and im allergic to avocado, where should i get my fat from?

Butter, Coconut oil, Olive oil... I am guessing those are the ones I know. Coconut oil and butter really improves the taste of your salad or your meal a lot. Plus they provide lot of calories.

MemberMember
(@daftfrost)

Posted : 07/17/2012 10:17 pm

Hmm it just that I visited one of the websites and said something about fructose isn't good but in fruits they are fine but also said how we should limit them. Was confused right there.

Although I no longer breakout, I still sometimes notice oiliness and thought it could be the insulin response from the fruits. I am eating grain free, but high in fat.

I get a lot of calories from butter and EFAs.

Here's a thread with a lot of info on fructose and other sugars, how they are processed and their impact on the body. It starts out with some advice to improve fructose metabolism since we have so many people here that say they break out from fruit and are always telling newbies to avoid fruit: http://www.acne.org/...out-from-fruit/

Hmm it just that I visited one of the websites and said something about fructose isn't good but in fruits they are fine but also said how we should limit them. Was confused right there.

Although I no longer breakout, I still sometimes notice oiliness and thought it could be the insulin response from the fruits. I am eating grain free, but high in fat.

I get a lot of calories from butter and EFAs.

Here's a thread with a lot of info on fructose and other sugars, how they are processed and their impact on the body. It starts out with some advice to improve fructose metabolism since we have so many people here that say they break out from fruit and are always telling newbies to avoid fruit: http://www.acne.org/...out-from-fruit/

I've read a lot, so basically I should just remain and have a healthy lifestyle like proper exposure to light and such and I'd be okay to eat fruits?

The concern I had was that, since fructose is still a sugar wouldn't it be causing insulin response and therefore acne? For example eating half a watermelon is a lot of sugar.

Plus all the nutrients needed for all that proper digestion and metabolic activities are mostly found in fruits and other natural sources. So to simplify we should just plenty amounts of eat fruits and vegetables? I know it isn't new but the whole fruit thing is what frustrates me. Sorry, I may just need to do lot more research but I am wanting to hear answers from you.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/20/2012 10:41 am

This is from a Mercola article you can find here in order to follow links to the various reports, studies and articles the info came from: http://articles.merc...eath-in-us.aspx

Pharmageddon

The (Los Angeles) Times analysis of 2009 death statistics (from the CDC), the most recent available, showed:

• For the first time ever in the US, more people were killed by prescription drugs than motor vehicle accidents
  • 37,485 people died from drugs, a rate fueled by overdoses on prescription pain and anxiety medications, versus 36,284 from traffic accidents
  • Drug fatalities more than doubled among teens and young adults between 2000 and 2008, and more than tripled among people aged 50 to 69

Again, these drug-induced fatalities are not being driven by illegal street drugs; the analysis found that the most commonly abused prescription drugs like OxyContin, Vicodin, Xanax and Soma now cause more deaths than heroin and cocaine combined.

"According to the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, prescription drugs are second to marijuana as the drug of choice for today's teens. In fact, seven of the top 10 drugs used by 12th-graders were prescription drugs.

• In a June 2010 report in the Journal of General Internal Medicine, study authors said that in looking over recordsthat spanned from 1976 to 2006 (the most recent year available) they found that, of 62 million death certificates, almost a quarter-million deaths were coded as having occurred in a hospital setting due to medication errors.
    • An estimated 450,000 preventable medication-related adverse events occur in the U.S. every year.
    • The costs of adverse drug reactions to society are more than $136 billion annually -- greater than the total cost of cardiovascular or diabetic care.
    • Adverse drug reactions cause injuries or death in 1 of 5 hospital patients.
    • The reason there are so many adverse drug events in the U.S. is because so many drugs are used and prescribed and many patients receive multiple prescriptions at varying strengths, some of which may counteract each other or cause more severe reactions when combined.

Between 2001 and 2008, there was a

36 percent increase in hospital admissions

, and a 28 percent increase in emergency room visits, among children 5 and younger who had accidentally ingested medication. ER visits for ingestion of prescription opioid painkillers, such as Oxycodone, increased 101 percent!

But aside from the nature of their business, fraud, kickbacks, price-setting, bribery and illegal sales activities are all par for the course for big-name drug companies. Last year I set out to investigate some of the criminal activities that some of the largest pharmaceutical companies had been convicted of lately, and the amount of

gross misconduct, fraud and deceit I found

was so insidious, so massive, and so overwhelming that it shocked even me.

You can

read the grim details in full here, but here is just a sampling of what the top drug companies are up to:

[*]Merck: With a long list of deaths to its credit, and more than $5.5 billion in judgments and fines levied against it, it was five years before Merck made its $30-billion recall of the painkiller Vioxx that I warned my readersthat it might be a real killer for some people. After the drug was withdrawn, and 60,000 had already died, Merck picked up the pieces painlessly by getting a new drug fast-tracked and on the market.

That drug is Gardasil, a vaccine that so far has been linked to thousands of adverse events and at least 49 unexplained deaths.It's a situation that the FDA and CDC have been denying repeatedly, keeping their heads buried in the sand even as the adverse reports mount.

[*]Baxter: Dozens of recalls of products that caused deaths and injuries, at least 11 different guilty pleas to fraud and illegal sales activity, more than 200 lawsuits many of them stemming from selling AIDS-tainted blood to hemophiliacs and more than $1.3 billion in criminal fines and civil penalties.

[*]Pfizer: In the largest heath care fraud settlement in history,Pfizer was ordered to pay $2.3 billion to resolve criminal and civil allegations that the company illegally promoted uses of four of its drugs, including the painkiller Bextra, the antipsychotic Geodon, the antibiotic Zyvox, and the anti-epileptic Lyrica.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/18/2012 11:05 am

Just one example of the many problems with medical research: They often don't study the right things.

Article on fluoridation of our water which has an example of one of the biggest problems with medical research (The biggest probably being that it's mostly funded by big for profit pharma) and that is how they so rarely study the right things for the right duration. Such as the very short term studies they did to determine that the dispersants dumped into the ocean by BP to hide as much as possible of the oil they spilled did little harm to the marine life. When if you kept the animals around a little bit longer, they tended to suffer from major health problems and die.

Anyway, this article mentions how the studies on the toxicity of fluoride study the pharmaceutical grade fluoride used in dental products whereas the fluoride dumped in our water supply is a waste product of the toxic artificial fertilizer industry. http://articles.merc...21218_DNL_art_2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's another: Placebos

I've seen other articles that say that there's no standard on what goes into a placebo and they sometimes aren't without affect which can skew the study.

And don't forget the sugary placebo bar they used in that study to 'prove' that chocolate had no affect on acne that's the reason doctors have been telling you diet doesn't affect acne all these years.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/20/2012 3:59 pm

Another article, Mercola again, stating that most scientific retractions aren't due to mistakes but to misconduct including fraud.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/10/17/scientific-research-retractions.aspx?e_cid=20121017_DNL_art_2

MemberMember
(@crashoran)

Posted : 12/20/2012 7:48 pm

I thought you were supposed to fast 8-10 hours before any type of lipid panel, yet in the video they are drawing every 30 minutes?

MemberMember
(@healthywomen)

Posted : 12/22/2012 2:22 pm

It's just not working and they are not willing to accept that.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/28/2012 6:39 pm

Documentary available via IndiGoGo, Itunes and elsewhere

ESCAPE FIRE: The Fight To Rescue American Healthcare

There's also a recent NPR interview with the filmmakers available as a podcast.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/01/26/escape_fire_a_healthcare_documentary_that_s_also_a_horror_movie.html

[Link Removed]

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davechase/2012/10/05/escape-fire-artists-will-transform-healthcare/

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/31/2012 2:45 pm

New research shows how exactly elevated blood sugar is at the root of the development of Alzheimer and cancer as well as diabetes mellitus, of course.

When beta cells produce insulin, Butler explains, they also pump out a protein called human islet amyloid polypeptide, or IAPP, thought to help regulate blood sugar. But in type 2 diabetes, this protein starts clumping into strings, eventually forming abnormal, insoluble deposits in the pancreas called amyloid. Butlers team found that when IAPP clusters into abnormal threads, beta cells often diekilling themselves in a process called apoptosis. And the cells most vulnerable are those reproducing and renewing themselves most actively.

That's about diabetes mellitus, but that amyloid produced in the pancreas to help deal with blood sugar has also been found to be an important factor in Alzheimer and can be used as an early test for the condition, as it starts way, way before you begin showing symptoms.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/03/2013 10:43 am

Everyone should read the Time magazine article 'Bitter Pill' and seek out any interviews with author Steven Brill. He's operated on John Stewart and NPRs Diane Rheims. (Sp?)

It's about hospital 'care' and why their bills are so high. and why you shouldn't believe claims that hospitals lose money on Medicare patients or that they provide a fortune In charity care.

See also this article on the Cleveland Clinic: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/26/can-the-cleveland-clinic-save-american-health-care.html

Before some kind of catastrophe hits you, it might be good to find out what hospitals and clinics in your area have salaried personnel, rather than people paid per service.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/09/2013 11:08 am

The amount of prescription drugs the average person takes these days is incredible.

Here is a chart by age range and state. http://articles.merc...20326_DNL_art_2

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/13/2013 4:45 pm

CDC report on CRE, the lethal, antibiotic resistant bacteria spreading in health care facilities that kill half the people that contract it, and can some how spread its antibiotic resistance to other bacteria, such as E. coli, something we all have, common in he environment and the culprit behind most urinary tract infections.

[Link Removed]

Green med info article explaining how our healthcare system caused this problem and alternatives:
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/cdcs-nightmare-bacteria-reveals-need-natural-medicine

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/25/2013 9:22 am

Then there's the cholesterol misunderstanding and mistreatment.

This is a MUST READ!!!!!

Here's a Huffington post article explaining it and how the conventional doctors become so determined to focus on the wrong culprit in heart disease. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/the-cholesterol-myth-that_b_676817.html.

And another: YES, I know it's from a site called quick & dirty. It's a good summary. Just click through for links to the research.

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/is-the-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease-bogus?utm_source=ND20140208&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nutritiondiva In summary:

the impact of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol is far less than expected. More to the point, cholesterol levels are a very poor predictor of who will develop or die of heart disease. Although reducing saturated fat intake can somewhat reliably reduce blood cholesterol, it doesn't seem to reduce the risk of heart disease. In fact, lowering high cholesterol by any means doesn't reduce deaths from heart disease. - See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/is-the-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease-bogus?utm_source=ND20140208&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nutritiondiva#sthash.x5r6t96R.dpuf

"
the impact of dietary cholesterol on blood cholesterol is far less than expected. More to the point, cholesterol levels are a very poor predictor of who will develop or die of heart disease. Although reducing saturated fat intake can somewhat reliably reduce blood cholesterol, it doesn't seem to reduce the risk of heart disease. In fact, lowering high cholesterol by any means doesn't reduce deaths from heart disease. - See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/prevention/is-the-link-between-cholesterol-and-heart-disease-bogus?utm_source=ND20140208&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nutritiondiva#sthash.x5r6t96R.dpuf

Click through for links to studies. Research shows that about half the people with heart disease do not have high cholesterol and many people with high cholesterol do not have heart disease. Cholesterol is not the issue that should be focused on. And interfering with vital processes with Statin drugs has a number of detrimental effects: Low CoQ10 which is an important antioxidant/anti-inflammatory and part of the process your cells used to make energy, low Testosterone & other hormone issues, low vitamin D whose importance has been underestimated. You need your vitamin D!

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/26/2013 3:39 pm

Another example of how the controlled studies we are supposed to trust are flawed. - The placebo effect.

in phase I, desperate people know they are being given a drug and hope it will work and so it seems to work. Then. in phase II, they don't know if they are getting the real treatment or not. That they do placebo surgeries and other invasive things is also deeply disturbing

http://www.psmag.com...-thought-38717/

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/27/2013 7:34 pm

The main reason I seldom see doctors anymore is because I find I am always paying for a debate.

I come in for a problem and they say "I am going to prescribe this to you, ok?.

I say "i'm not really sure if I want to take that, i've heard of it causing A, B, and C"

Them "Don't read stories you hear on the internet, it's very safe"

Me: "These aren't stories, I read them in medical journals"

Them: "Well, I don't know what you read but those side effects are extremely rare. If you want to get rid of this, you must take this drug"

Me: "Isnt there anything I can do which does not involve this pill, anything natural or alternative, you know, non-systemic?"

Them: *rolling eyes* "This is the gold standard of treatment, and I know of nothing out there that will help besides this drug, except maybe this other drug"

Me: "I'll think about it and let you know"

Them "You're not going to take it?"

Me: "I will let you know after I do some more research"

They then look at me with a state of complete shock on their face as if I have diabetes and I am refusing to take insulin

I walk out of the room and I know they are just shaking their head, writing me off as some conspiracy holistic nutjob. Don't get me wrong, sometimes we all have to take medication for things but most MD's today are nothing but a bunch of paid lackeys and yes men for big pharma and if you, the lowly uneducated patient questions them, they really start squirming with frustration.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/28/2013 1:52 pm

^ Excellent description. I had similar talks with my mother's doctors as she recuperated from a stroke. Although after arguing with them, they did change her medication a couple of times. Apparently they weren't married to all the crap they were prescribing. It's just this thing they do.

It's the same with veterinary care. I recently took my brother's cat to the vet. He thought the cat was constipated. It turns out it was a urinary tract issue male cats often get. They prescribed an antibiotic. I get home and look into it and find that cat urinary problems rarely have anything to do with bacteria. It's about diet. I looked up all kinds of home treatments some of which involve ACV, surprise, surprise. Plenty of people swear success with it. And then there were plenty of other treatments I didn't look into. The antibiotic cost $35. And I don't want it given to the cat.

( I also happened to have misplaced it and I don't know where. I need to go look under the car seat. )

Also, my dog has had ear problems since I adopted him two or so years ago. They gave me antibiotic ear drops which never got rid of the problem. I tried using the safflower oil I use on his skin since oil is a solvent for ear wax and antimicrobial. It helped as much as the vet stuff. At least he'd stop scratching for a while. Then I found the enzyme based stuff recommended in a discussion forum, found it had lots of great reviews on Amazon, tried it. And he hasn't had a problem since.

MemberMember
(@lostinthefog87)

Posted : 03/29/2013 4:13 am

^ Excellent description. I had similar talks with my mother's doctors as she recuperated from a stroke. Although after arguing with them, they did change her medication a couple of times. Apparently they weren't married to all the crap they were prescribing. It's just this thing they do.

It's the same with veterinary care. I recently took my brother's cat to the vet. He thought the cat was constipated. It turns out it was a urinary tract issue male cats often get. They prescribed an antibiotic. I get home and look into it and find that cat urinary problems rarely have anything to do with bacteria. It's about diet. I looked up all kinds of home treatments some of which involve ACV, surprise, surprise. Plenty of people swear success with it. And then there were plenty of other treatments I didn't look into. The antibiotic cost $35. And I don't want it given to the cat.

( I also happened to have misplaced it and I don't know where. I need to go look under the car seat. )

Also, my dog has had ear problems since I adopted him two or so years ago. They gave me antibiotic ear drops which never got rid of the problem. I tried using the safflower oil I use on his skin since oil is a solvent for ear wax and antimicrobial. It helped as much as the vet stuff. At least he'd stop scratching for a while. Then I found the enzyme based stuff recommended in a discussion forum, found it had lots of great reviews on Amazon, tried it. And he hasn't had a problem since.

I am so glad your dog and your brothers cat got better from safer and more rational treatments. The problem I see is the fact that we live in a society so trusting of doctors and so untrusting of common sense, natural alternatives. I have arguments with my mother who is constantly telling me to go to the Dermatologist, as if they have some magic information I have never heard before. I have cured more ailments researching information myself then taking what a Dr. prescribes. I've been to dermatologists more than 20 times and its the same thing, round of these antibiotics, prescription for that, etc. It never lasts, and in the long run I become dependent on things that actually worsen my acne.

For example, at this point, the only thing that remotely clears my cystic acne is topical antibiotics, which is the only prescription drug I am willing to take at this point for acne. This wasn't the case 7 years ago before I began taking them. BP used to clear me up well. So now I am stuck with having to go on and off of the damn topical clindamycin because I have to go to work presentable, not to mention sleep at night. I try and go months without the clindamycin, but my cysts eventually become so painful I throw my hands up and say "F-it!", give me the damn antibiotic lotion...I just need the pain to stop! Before I began seeing derms and taking prescribed meds, my acne was manageable, now its out of control and almost untreatable. But where am I supposed to go when i'm in pain and I need to meet a client for my job? There is nowhere else for me to go, natural Derms don't exist.....so I give in to the "treat the symptom" Doctors even though I know its bad for me. I feel like all medicine is now somewhat like this, but Dermatology, much like Psychiatry....seems to be the worse. They are very set in their methods of treatment of prescribing drugs exclusively with little practical advice. They are unwilling to see things from another view. Whatever happened to "first do no harm?"

I feel like a lot of people in the holistic forum, yourself included, would make great MD's or DO's. I have thought about it myself. My brother is an Orthopedic Surgeon and many of the women in my family are Nurses. I just doubt my ability to get through a med school program trying to defend positions that my peers and superiors would consider looney. As if Med School wasn't hard enough! It just seems like an uphill battle of constantly defending positions and being looked down upon.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/04/2013 12:22 pm

Consider the so-called Paradoxes in which cultures consume high amounts of substances our doctors tell us cause disease, yet they have lower rates of those diseases than we do.

Japanese Paradox, in which a population that consumes very high amounts of salt have a lower heart disease incidence. Why? Because, salt isn't really the issue.

Much like with the so-called French Paradox about high fat, western conventional medicine focuses on the wrong issues and prescribes the wrong treatments.

And despite decades of telling us to avoid these bad foods such as sat fat and salt, and giving us drugs to stop the diseases, the disease rates have grown.

I feel like a lot of people in the holistic forum, yourself included, would make great MD's or DO's. I have thought about it myself. My brother is an Orthopedic Surgeon and many of the women in my family are Nurses. I just doubt my ability to get through a med school program trying to defend positions that my peers and superiors would consider looney. As if Med School wasn't hard enough! It just seems like an uphill battle of constantly defending positions and being looked down upon.

Yeah, I've considered studying various things, not medicine though. But I don't want to get indoctrinated in conventional wrong thinking. I spoke to a nutritionist at the farmers market a few weeks ago because she's a certified or registered or whatever nutritionist, but doesn't preach conventional nutritional 'wisdon.' I asked how she did that. It turns out, she went to a naturopathic but acredited school of some sort.

I'm actually much more concerned about the environment and the stupid things we keep doing that fight it. And I mean little things. Like the really, really poorly designed, and nowadays giant, houses they fill our cities with. When we used to know how to build a home to be more naturally cooled, easily heated and built to last. And then there's the things we do to the water, with our sewage, storm water runoff, flood control, irrigation. God so many things. Really, it's like we do just about everything wrong.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 04/04/2013 5:47 pm

When you say "Our diet" - I'm assuming you mean "Americas diet"?

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/05/2013 10:26 am

Yes, but but other cultures have diets that are nearly as bad or becoming as bad. In many cases, American corporations and culture can be blamed, such as the spread of coca cola and fast food chains around the world.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 04/05/2013 7:48 pm

Yes, but but other cultures have diets that are nearly as bad or becoming as bad. In many cases, American corporations and culture can be blamed, such as the spread of coca cola and fast food chains around the world.

Other countries may be catching up - but America still has the worst diet and most obese population in the world (sadly). In Canada for example Mcdonald's and other American fatty food chains exist but they're truly not popular - The Mcdonald's Drive- thru is an utter ghost town where I live as Canadians much perfer Tim Horton's coffee to Big Mac's and fries. Just a different mentality.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/06/2013 8:47 am

In Canada for example Mcdonald's and other American fatty food chains exist but they're truly not popular - The Mcdonald's Drive- thru is an utter ghost town where I live as Canadians much perfer Tim Horton's coffee to Big Mac's and fries. Just a different mentality.

Yeah, right. i wonder how that McDonald's stays in business, then. And Tim Hortons serves fresh fruit and veggies, does it?

tell me the name of that popular healthy Canadian dish that consists of a massive pile of French fries smothered in cheese and gravy? I can't remember.

Other than BGH being banned in Canada, there is little difference in the food production, diet habits and health between Canada and the US. You eat the same crap, most animals are factory farmed, diabetes is just as rampant even in children, teens are obese, and so on.

MemberMember
(@foreverbold)

Posted : 04/06/2013 10:23 pm

Other countries may be catching up - but America still has the worst diet and most obese population in the world (sadly). In Canada for example Mcdonald's and other American fatty food chains exist but they're truly not popular - The Mcdonald's Drive- thru is an utter ghost town where I live as Canadians much perfer Tim Horton's coffee to Big Mac's and fries. Just a different mentality.

Yeah, right. i wonder how that McDonald's stays in business, then. And Tim Hortons serves fresh fruit and veggies, does it?

tell me the name of that popular healthy Canadian dish that consists of a massive pile of French fries smothered in cheese and gravy? I can't remember.

Other than BGH being banned in Canada, there is little difference in the food production, diet habits and health between Canada and the US. You eat the same crap, most animals are factory farmed, diabetes s just as rampant even in children, teens are obese, and so on.

I'm guessing you've never once stepped foot in Canada? the differences are astounding in terms of lifestyle. We have different portion sizes, considerably less fastfood restaurants and a staggering lack of obese people. Not to mention a higher taxation on junkfood which acts as a deterent to bad eating (a box of twinkies can cost as much as $12.99!).

.. and nobody eats "Poutine" unless you're from Quebec (poutine isn't even served in my province except at festivals and such).

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2013 8:43 am

I'm guessing you've never once stepped foot in Canada? the differences are astounding in terms of lifestyle. We have different portion sizes, considerably less fastfood restaurants and a staggering lack of obese people. Not to mention a higher taxation on junkfood which acts as a deterent to bad eating (a box of twinkies can cost as much as $12.99!).).

Wrong As usual. do you ever know what you are talking about? You do a lot of guessing.

I have been to Canada. And your newspapers report differently about the health and diet of Canadians. Quick google searches on Canadian diet, diabetes in Canada, obesity in Canada etc, You'll find headlines like 'Canadian diet recipe for disaster'. And Canadian diet looks like a dogs breakfast' which begins with this lead sentence: ' The Canadian government has a food disorder, and it's helping to fuel the country's obesity epidemic.

http://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/nutrition/2009/10/12/canadian_diet_looks_like_a_dogs_breakfast.html