Notifications
Clear all

Documentary On Genetically Modified Foods (They're Deadly & We Eat Em)

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/01/2012 5:55 pm

I was poking around a thread started by alternativista and my eyes have been opened to a very real threat to our health. Even those of us who eat extremely healthy are still being exposed to genetically modified foods. And worse, they are not labeled as such, so your best option right now is to eat organic.

This stuff is killing people, and all the while people affiliated with Monsanto are being appointed to positions of power in the FDA. It's called the revolving door due to the fact that members of the FDA are going in and out of companies like Monsanto. And these are the people we are trusting to regulate standards of health? Here is a link to a great educational documentary concerning the risk of GMO

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/01/2012 6:39 pm

You cannot trust the FDA

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/01/2012 8:05 pm

Monsanto is on the verge of controlling all food. If something isn't done there will be no organic food left, as it will inevitably become contaminated by the genetically modified strands. We will then be forced to consume the foods that are causing devastating health issues in our country and around the world. This is the scariest thing i have ever seen, and if you watch the video, part 1 through 10, you will understand why.

What can be done? I'm really not sure. All genetically modified crops would have to be destroyed, but before that, the government would have to authorize it. The government is full of corrupt former monsanto employees, so i fear this is unlikely. The truth is being covered up, and studies are being altered to favor monsanto's image. It is sickening and depressing

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 04/01/2012 8:08 pm

How do you know if the Organic Wheat, Soybean, Corn, and many others are not Modified? I ain't trying it (Wheat) to find out.

I found the answer... http://www.worc.org/userfiles/OrganicWheatProduction8-04.pdf

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 04/01/2012 9:39 pm

XX

MemberMember
(@sdr-wellnesscoach)

Posted : 04/02/2012 3:49 am

I have to laugh when people say they don't have any food allergies. Fact is, it is extremely rare for anyone to have just 1 food allergy. Food allergies have always existed, how could it not be a lot worse with all the GMO's and food additives/extenders in our food today? "They" found away to slow down the Earth's population w/o putting restrictions on how many children you can have. AND there is already not enough food to go aound to feed the 7 Billion.

Ps They should have found a cure for Acne. "We" will be the ones exposing this.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2012 8:33 am

You cannot trust the FDA

All of our regulatory agencies are servants to the industry they are supposed to regulate. They are not looking out for us, the environment, etc.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/02/2012 9:53 am

I know it is very frightening. I too fear cross contamination and the future of our food. I am still in shock from learning it, really. I usually try to only shop the outside perimeters of a store and buy as much organic produce as I can. Also, buying only grass fed meat. But if I do buy anything in a package, I look for NON GMO/Organic certified. I also watched Food Beware:The French Organic Revolution, and Food Inc are good ones. They are on Netflix or rather cheap at a movie rental place. Jeffrey Smith, author of Seeds of Deceptions is a big speaker as well. Another movie I watched was Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead (Which I didn't know prior to watching but the guy has/had one of the same auto immune disorders as me of chronic urticaria that he cured by diet and exercise.) The food we eat plays a much bigger role in our bodies than I ever realized...they are slowly killing us with all the GM garbage. A lot of the foods that people think are healthy aren't healthy at all.

I make changes by visiting http://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/ and click on the Take Action Tab or here is a direct to the Take Action: http://hq-salsa3.sal.../action/public/ Its very easy to scroll down and click and read a topic and with autofill on your browser a few strokes and you can send your petition to each one. Center for Food Safety also has an App for your smartphones with a Shoppers Guide.

Just signed all of those take action petitions. I cannot believe they are considering using agent orange on corn. AGENT ORANGE for f$#%s sake! The very thing that has caused lasting ecological damage as well as many serious medical conditions in vietnamese people and vietnam veterans.

This company Monsanto has zero ethics and zero respect for human life that is not their own. They know the effects of this chemical and are more than willing to put the public at risk. This is a truly evil, evil company. If you know anyone, please tell them about this. Unless our country wakes up to what is happening, there will be no push from our end to get our representatives to take action. And we will be feeding our kids agent orange for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/02/2012 10:39 am

GM is not going away. I don't know why people are stressing over this. Just eat organic if you care so much.

And don't give me your BS about trying to help the world.

Every year 5 million children die from starvation in underdeveloped countries. I'm sure as hell that they would have loved to have GM food in their bellies.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2012 10:45 am

GM is not going away. I don't know why people are stressing over this. Just eat organic if you care so much.

And don't give me your BS about trying to help the world.

Every year 5 million children die from starvation in underdeveloped countries. I'm sure as hell that they would have loved to have GM food in their bellies.

Your remarks are, as always, completely invalid because GM products to not increase the amount of food available to starving children in underdeveloped countries or anywhere else. In fact, the expensive seed, pesticides and royalties bankrupt farmers in those underdeveloped countries.

You really need to read something besides Big Food propaganda.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/02/2012 10:55 am

Your remarks are, as always, completely invalid because GM products to not increase the amount of food available to starving children in underdeveloped countries or anywhere else.

Thanks for that. Anyways, Bill Gates has pledged and donated more than 120 million to GM foods and their research. So yes, his donation alone will increase the production of GM foods.

Even if you don't believe that GM foods offer increased output at a lower cost, (Which is just nonsense, by the way) you will appreciate that his donations to third world countries will continue to make GM the most viable solution to saving the lives of MILLIONS in the next decade or so.

Honestly, how can you people sacrifice everything to further your agenda, even the lives of children.... makes me sick.

Bill Gates: a man with some common sense

:

I think the right way to think about GMOs is the same way we think about drugs, Gates told the AP. Whenever someone creates a new drug, you have to have very smart people looking at lots of trial-based data to make sure the benefits far outweigh any of the dangers.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/02/2012 11:13 am

Your remarks are, as always, completely invalid because GM products to not increase the amount of food available to starving children in underdeveloped countries or anywhere else.

Thanks for that. Anyways, Bill Gates has pledged and donated more than 120 million to GM foods and their research. So yes, his donation alone will increase the production of GM foods.

Even if you don't believe that GM foods offer increased output at a lower cost, (Which is just nonsense, by the way) you will appreciate that his donations to third world countries will continue to make GM the most viable solution to saving the lives on MILLIONS in the next decade or so.

Honestly, how can you people sacrifice everything to further your agenda, even the lives of children.... makes me sick.

:

I think the right way to think about GMOs is the same way we think about drugs, Gates told the AP. Whenever someone creates a new drug, you have to have very smart people looking at lots of trial-based data to make sure the benefits far outweigh any of the dangers.

It makes you sick? Funny that our concern is exactly that. These GM foods are making us sick. And alternatavista is correct, they are putting farmers out of business in underdeveloped countries. I'm guessing you support the use of Agent Orange on crops as well. Agent Orange that will affect much more than just the crops they are sprayed on.

Your argument (if we want to call it that) is that if it's edible, it should be mass produced and shipped off to feed hungry children around the world. Forgetting about the health issues that come with farmers producing the foods (pesticide exposure) And in the process ignore all of the health issues that result from consuming the food. So with you and many others like bill gates, it's more about looking like you care than actually caring

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/02/2012 11:21 am

Your argument (if we want to call it that) is that if it's edible, it should be mass produced and shipped off to feed hungry DYING children around the world.

Yes, that is exactly my argument.

So going by your logic onefatalgoos... you'd rather a child be dead than sick? Do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

While you forum lurkers are trading online petitions and patting each other on the back, children are dying from starvation every SIX SECONDS.

You people are so out of touch with reality it's laughable. The world needs need to figure out how to feed everyone before it starts obsessing over the quality of that food.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/02/2012 12:02 pm

Your argument (if we want to call it that) is that if it's edible, it should be mass produced and shipped off to feed hungry DYING children around the world.

Yes, that is exactly my argument.

So going by your logic onefatalgoos... you'd rather a child be dead than sick? Do you not see how ridiculous you sound?

While you forum lurkers are trading online petitions and patting each other on the back, children are dying from starvation every SIX SECONDS.

You people are so out of touch with reality it's laughable. The world needs need to figure out how to feed everyone before it starts obsessing over the quality of that food.

Yes, and once they have all been fed and we solve the hunger issues, those people we fed will pass on whatever illnesses/heath issues they have contracted to their offspring and we will have a severely damaged generation of children. Your solution is at best temporary.

We need to help with world hunger, but the first step cannot be putting local farmers in underdeveloped countries out of business by forcing them to purchase genetically modified foods, for which they have to then purchase round up/agent orange to grow. And then pay royalties on their crop to Monsanto. This is a nice sentiment, however the issue of deprivation needs a more long term fix, not a temporary one with long term damaging effects.

There is no agenda here. You cannot trust Monsanto or anything they tell you. They do not want what's best for people. They want to control all food. They have patents, yes patents on their seeds. I do not want any child dead, and i do not want to provide them food that causes them to suffer for the rest of their life

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/02/2012 12:14 pm

Even if you don't believe that GM foods offer increased output at a lower cost, (Which is just nonsense, by the way) you will appreciate that his donations to third world countries will continue to make GM the most viable solution to saving the lives of MILLIONS in the next decade or so.

:

Bill Gates is as wrong about drugs as he is about GMOs as he is about where to focus his billions on.

Another completely invalid remark. You do not know what you are talking about.

These articles are all about the same thing. I just did a quick google search and thought the article titles were so poignant I posted some:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1082559/The-GM-genocide-Thousands-Indian-farmers-committing-suicide-using-genetically-modified-crops.html

http://www.alternet.org/economy/137059/1,500_indian_farmers_commit_mass_suicide:_why_we_are_complicit_in_these_deaths/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/williampentland/2011/05/18/every-30-minutes-an-indian-farmer-commits-suicide-biotech-is-not-to-blame/

The issue is not with the quantity food. We have more than enough food.

Again, you really, really do not know what you are talking about. Why do you keep posting on a subject you know nothing about? At least read the threads you are posting in and clikc on a few links.

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 04/02/2012 12:43 pm

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/02/2012 1:21 pm

From your sources:

"Farmers take out loans to purchase the [bt cotton] seeds, but when the crop fails

due to

lack of access to water

, they often fall into debt. Many kill themselves byconsuming the very pesticide they went into debt to purchase."

I am against bad business practices as well

sideways.gif

But what does this have to do with GM crops and their ability to feed millions due to Bill Gates contribution?

By the way... I consume this pesticide every day, and presumably have for decades. I don't feel sick.... I feel lucky that I'm not one of those starving millions that you all don't give a second thought about.

The issue is not with the quantity food. We have more than enough food.

If the issue is with food distribution as you are implying here... why don't I see any articles and petitions for moving nutrition to places where it needs to go?

I'd respect these posts a lot more if they dealt with the elephant in the room instead of swatting at flies.

Let me break it down.

If you were starving and had the choice between dying and eating a GM carrot. What would you do?

GM food is here to stay, and if it ever does disappear, it's going to take DECADES. Change = money. Change means the cost of food is going to increase.

More expensive foods = less mouths able to afford food.

Less mouths able to afford food = more sickness, starvation, and death than GM foods will ever be responsible for.

Again, you all are confusing bad business practices with the GM food technology itself.

I'm not arguing that big GM seed corporations and big aggro aren't greedy and corrupt.

I'm not arguing that the current generation of GM foods is ideal.

What I am arguing is that for the immediate future, those big corporations are a necessary evil.

I am arguing that with the research funded by Bill Gates, future generations of GM foods will continue to become safer, more productive, essential to sustaining the growing world population.

MemberMember
(@onefatalgoose)

Posted : 04/02/2012 2:34 pm

Monsanto: Here ya go guys, more food made possible by your friends here at Monsanto

Deprived community: Oh thank you, thank you! This is an answer to our prayers

Years/months later

Monsanto: Here ya go guys, we've brought another modified crop for you to grow.

Child: Mr., Mr.! How come my friend's head is shaped like that? And why do i have these burns on my feet and legs? And my brother and sister, they're never hungry anymore. Why is this happening to us?

Monsanto: Well son, non GMO seeds have become so scarce that your papa was forced to buy our GMO seeds. In doing so, he also had to purchase our round up so that the crops can grow. Him and your family have been exposed to this chemical treatment, and have been consuming the modified crop. It's no wonder your getting sick. I mean jeez, we don't even consume or go near that stuff.

Child: Oh i see. Well isn't there a better more safe way of doing this? One that does not jeopardize our health while providing food for our family? I mean, i am thankful and all, but i don't like to see my brother like that

Monsanto: Yes, there is. But that would take a lot of time and money, and here at Monsanto our modo is "If it isn't profitable for us, F--- em" So you see, we're not concerned about the health of other human beings. We just want money and control. And by the way, we'll soon be using Agent Orange on the crops so you won't have to worry about the roundup

Child: Oh...well...i guess that makes sense.

Monsanto: But hey, i'm not completely heartless. Allow me to now offer you some modern western medicine to help you and your family out

Child: Oh thank you! Yes that would be greatly appreciated

Monsanto: Not a problem. That'll be 10,000 dollars please

Child: ...?

What I am arguing is that for the immediate future, those big corporations are a necessary evil.

MemberMember
(@tunnelvisionary)

Posted : 04/02/2012 8:50 pm

Weeds and insects are starting to become resistant to Roundup herbicide. Monsanto is currently developing an ever more powerful herbicide to try to stop these weeds, but guess what? Nature is going to just going to keep adapting. The fact that they're trying to approve Agent Orange to spray on to corn is just beyond words. Yes, you can feed starving people around the world, but at what cost? Yes, I know it's easy to say that from the comfort of my air-conditioned home, but when people around the world are fed by GM crops, and they're suffering from health problems, they're probably going to want to get rid of them when the only thought on their mind isn't their hunger anymore.

I think the sooner we realize as humans that the world doesn't revolve around us, and we are subject to the laws of nature just as much as any other species, the better.

MemberMember
(@nickftw)

Posted : 04/02/2012 9:00 pm

I will say its frustrating to have to pay more for organic foods, and also how the organic section in most stores is so small. I am all for foods being grown natural and organic. I wish the gov. would invest in organic farming instead of modified foods. Sigh, maybe one day.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 04/02/2012 11:47 pm

Everyone should sign this.

http://www.change.org/petitions/food-drug-admintration-to-mandate-labeling-of-ge-gmo-foods

Change.org has had a good deal of victories from their petitions. You can also start your own petition about getting rid of it etc. There are less than 200 sigs on this, it needs many thousands to make a difference, so sign and post to FB./twitter to get as many as possible.

MemberMember
(@bittersweet098)

Posted : 04/03/2012 12:42 am

XX

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/03/2012 8:12 am

More examples of how GM crops 'help' poor farmers in underdeveloped countries.

Mexican Farmers Mobilize Against NAFTA's Disastrous Corn Policies & Monsanto's GE Corn

http://www.organicco...rticle_6629.cfm

Mexico Corn Contamination: How Monsanto & University of California Tried to Silence Dr. Ignacio Chapela

http://www.organicco...ticle_17843.cfm

GMO Contamination in Mexico's Cradle of Corn

http://archive.truthout.org/121208D

The last days of Mexican corn

http://www.nwrage.or...ys-mexican-corn

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/03/2012 8:31 am

Yes, you can feed starving people around the world, but at what cost?

Wrong, GM crops do not help feed starving people around the world!!! They do not address any problems with growing crops, now or in the future as water and climate change become more and more of a problem, not that it isn't a crisis in many places now. And they do not increase yields. Don't fall for these myths.

Monsanto makes seeds that can tolerate massive amounts of Roundup. They make the seeds and sell them at a high cost. They make the Roundup. And then they charge royalties on the crops. Period.

The seeds don't produce more. They don't require less water. They don't survive drought/heat any better. They do nothing to solve any real problems the world faces. And they worsen others by creating pesticide resistant pests. And of course pollute the soil and water even more than conventional industrial farming did.

And farmers cannot save the seeds from one crop to plant the next. They must buy the high priced seed every year. And the high priced pesticides. And then pay royalties on whatever they grow. Then come up with the money to buy seeds again the next year. Usually bank loans or worse. And interest rates in undeveloped countries are very, very high.

MemberMember
(@tritonxiv)

Posted : 04/03/2012 9:24 am

I am going to restate this one more time:

• I don't think the current generation of GM foods are ideal or perfected in any way.

• I don't think big corporations should control and patent GM products or (governments for that matter).

• I don't think we should to use any pesticides at all. (We won't have to in the future)

• I DO think that GM foods are the future, and with more research and study, they will be the solution to an ever-growing population.

In the mean time, let Bill Gates do his research to try and further humanity. You continue to eat organic, and I'll continue to eat my Agent Orange carrots.