Notifications
Clear all

Dht, Saw Palmetto, Masturbation

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 03/31/2012 9:13 pm

I have a few questioons about saw palmetto and dht.

Basically I am a male and I have had acne since i was 15, moderately severe and I am now almost 18. I have tried quitting masturbation which seems to work but I haven't gotten past 2 weeks. Since I see noticeable results that make me love the world and prance around like a fairy, I realize that my acne must be hormonal, caused by excess DHT, right? Im no scientist, only an obsessive internet fool. I have also noticed that when I cut soy out of my diet, which secretly lurks in all processed foods, my acne calms slightly. But then the internet, my God, says that soy is supposed to be helpful in controlling excess DHT, whats up with that? someone please explain whats going on! I bought Saw Palmetto from gaia and I am going to start dosing with those, but under my specific circumstances, is that a good idea? Going cold turkey with masturbation helps until i let up for one day then my acne rages back with merciless fury. More information is that I have acne on my jaw line and then scattered about on my forehead and neck, back, and chest. The worst area is my jaw though. THOUGHTS, PEOPLES?!??!

(thank you)

-Joner

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 04/01/2012 8:30 am

hey, I'm not really an expert in this, but I'm trying to answer here. Jawline acne is mostly hormonal acne. Many people in different forums said about it. especially in females, when they reach that-time-of-the-month, they'll get acne on chin or on the jawline. that's hormonal acne.

So, to answer your question, your acne is probably hormonal. my worst area is cheek. I routinely changed my bed sheet and pillow sheet, the acne is still there. but, i'm on accutane now and acne starts to heal.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/01/2012 8:36 am

Soy is estrogenic which can help some people but make others worse. It's more likely to help females than males.

It is also very common to be intolerant to soy. And anti-nutrients in soy damage intestinal linings and may inhibit an enzyme involved in skin cells exfoliating freely without clogging pores. Those anti-nutrients are in all foods, but especially seeds. And some are worse than others such as those in wheat/gluten and soy.

And of course your acne is hormonal. Except in the case of food intolerances and pores clogged topically, (which you could have going on as well), all of our acne is hormone related. And it's chronic inflammation-related as well.

hey, I'm not really an expert in this, but I'm trying to answer here. Jawline acne is mostly hormonal acne.

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 04/07/2012 9:34 am

so as a male who's father had moderately severe acne while a teen, and grandfather as well, would you recommend saw palmetto?(seeing as my acne is hormonal)

or some other dht inhibitor?

I also never use harsh topicals, only soap very lightly.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2012 11:05 am

so as a male who's father had moderately severe acne while a teen, and grandfather as well, would you recommend saw palmetto?(seeing as my acne is hormonal)

or some other dht inhibitor?

I also never use harsh topicals, only soap very lightly.

Reduce added sugars and refined carbs in your diet. Replace with nutrient dense foods that help your body manage hormones, inflammation and everything else to do with acne and health.

And try having lycopene sources daily which will both inhibit DHT and IGF1 as well as protect your skin from sun damage letting you get out into the light to form vitamin D (a factor) and the light we are supposed be exposed to for a natural circadian cycle (also a factor).

Lycopene thread: http://www.acne.org/...l__thin__st__20

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 04/07/2012 11:44 am

alternativista, have you looked into clearogen? Its a lotion that has dht-inhibitors and apparently blocks dht from the surface of the skin. Im skeptical that anti-hormonal drugs can be applied directly to the skin. I read in one post that it would take 30 pills a day of common dht inhibitors in pill form because they go all over the body as opposed to being applied topically and directly. Does that make sense? Also im not sure if i agree that lycopene is an effective dht-inhibitor, ive juiced tomatoes before and that resulted in reduced acne, but not by much.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 04/07/2012 12:59 pm

alternativista, have you looked into clearogen? Its a lotion that has dht-inhibitors and apparently blocks dht from the surface of the skin. Im skeptical that anti-hormonal drugs can be applied directly to the skin. I read in one post that it would take 30 pills a day of common dht inhibitors in pill form because they go all over the body as opposed to being applied topically and directly. Does that make sense? Also im not sure if i agree that lycopene is an effective dht-inhibitor, ive juiced tomatoes before and that resulted in reduced acne, but not by much.

they can work topically. It's similar to the topical hair lotions for male pattern baldness, also affected by DHT. Did you click on the link I provided? Also, the lycopene from tomatoes is much more available in cooked tomatoes. And it's fat soluble so you need to consume it with some fat.

Also, you should try an elimination diet. My jawline acne turned out to be a reaction to citrus.

MemberMember
(@jamie-sue)

Posted : 05/16/2012 7:22 pm

Im taking stinging nettle which to me is similar to saw palmetto in the fact it blocks DHT but no reported weight gain with stinging nettle. Stinging nettle is also said to help insulin resistance which is believed to be another factor to acne. I think my acne is due to a mixture of factors. I think I have an hormonal imbalance as well as insulin resistance. Possibly even have a leaky gut due to all the antibiotics I've been taking over the years, especially doxycyclin... I could feel it tearing up my stomach. Ughhh sick.gif anyways best of luck to you! honestly if I was a guy I don't know if I could stop masturbating... I hope you find a way to reduce the acne!

MemberMember
(@bobbi364)

Posted : 05/16/2012 7:45 pm

I think that during sex or masturbation, during ejaculation, one will experience inflammation due to anit-bodies in the blood. This could in turn cause unwanted acne, pressure, swelling, and even cysts. If you have acne, you shouldn't be having sex on the daily. Instead cut back to once a week (7 days). Until you clear your system of anti-bodies, and your skin is clear you should go on with once a week. This I recommend not for everyone, but for people with acne and those of you who think food plays a factor in anti-bodies.

MemberMember
(@arqa22)

Posted : 05/17/2012 11:13 am

ejucation=more DHT=acne

thats true [from personal experience]

MemberMember
(@jamie-sue)

Posted : 05/17/2012 8:14 pm

I generally only have sex on average twice a week, sometimes I have gone two weeks without sex with still presistant acne. Also I'm not sure if this applies to females? We'll see but I do not doubt what you are saying, maybe you guys should consider trying stinging nettle? my guy friend is seeing some slight improvement already in two days, so have I. So far so good for me. :)

MemberMember
(@dandantheman)

Posted : 12/30/2012 6:25 pm

Oner- I experience the same problem and still haven't found any feasible solutions other than regulating ejaculation frequency.

MemberMember
(@crimeinpartner)

Posted : 12/31/2012 3:00 pm

I started taking Saw Palmetto natural whole herb 450 mg 3x a day about 4 days ago and i can say in those 4 days i feel its done MUCH more than the "magical" gut diet i've been on for 2+ months

MemberMember
(@dandantheman)

Posted : 01/10/2013 6:07 pm

I was just reading here that saw palmetto decreases estrogen levels in the body (they warn that saw palmetto might decrease the effectiveness of estrogen pills). I've read in various places on this forum and other places on the web (related to this thread) that estrogens and xenoestrogens can be problematic for acne..