Notifications
Clear all

Fish oil causing acne?

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/15/2013 3:16 pm

Is there anyone here who taken fishoil and it doesn't cause acne?

MemberMember
(@cindy2013)

Posted : 02/15/2013 5:09 pm

I tried fish oil a some days ago with zinc...broke me out so bad omg..

I wouldnt recommend it to be honest.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 02/15/2013 5:26 pm

Fish oil gives me cysts and interestingly enough, evening primrose oil gives me cysts too. I think it's better to just avoid oils lol.

MemberMember
(@drewfish01)

Posted : 02/15/2013 7:57 pm

I know fish oil is good for you. So we can't take it b/c of acne. That really sucks.

MemberMember
(@avalonhaze)

Posted : 02/28/2013 4:34 pm

You know I sometimes wonder who the hell runs these clinical studies that suggest x helps y. I have been relatively acne free for what must be the better part of 7 years now. I suffer from Seb. Dermatitis and thought that as my acne had been gone for so long maybe some fish oil would improve my Seb. Dermatitis.

You know what, it didn't. It broke me out in massive cysts and worse still it gave me drug induced hypomania. 700mg of EPA 200mg GHA and 120mg of GLA. I spent most of the month of January quite insane and I'm now spending Feburary dealing with my resurgent acne. My old regimen doesn't seem to work anymore so I'm trying a moderate amount of lactoferrin and Zinc as well. Yeah more supplements you'd think I'd learn. I've have adaplene as well. I know the effectiveness of any regimen is measured in months and years so its going to be a long climb back.

You know I sometimes wonder who the hell runs these clinical studies that suggest x helps y. I have been relatively acne free for what must be the better part of 7 years now. I suffer from Seb. Dermatitis and thought that as my acne had been gone for so long maybe some fish oil would improve my Seb. Dermatitis.

You know what, it didn't. It broke me out in massive cysts and worse still it gave me drug induced hypomania. 700mg of EPA 200mg GHA and 120mg of GLA. I spent most of the month of January quite insane and I'm now spending Feburary dealing with my resurgent acne. My old regimen doesn't seem to work anymore so I'm trying a moderate amount of lactoferrin and Zinc as well. Yeah more supplements you'd think I'd learn. I've have adaplene as well. I know the effectiveness of any regimen is measured in months and years so its going to be a long climb back.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 06/24/2013 10:36 am

Yes, I believe that fish oils, especially in capsule form, can increase acne.

Last year, I started taking Cod Liver Oil. I went on a six month course of Roaccutane when I was seventeen, so I thought the fish oil would help to keep my oils balanced.

Nope! It was exactly a year ago that I started developing cystic acne along my jawline and chin - the same time I'd started taking Cod Liver Oil. I didn't really think much of it, until I had a "Food Sensitivity" test last week. The test revealed that I'm intolerant to quite a few type of fish, which I was very surprised about. I also developed an allergic reaction on my neck after eating haddock a few days ago, before I had my test done. These two events helped me to put two and two together, and I started to realise that the CLO might have been increasing my flare-up of acne. I have stopped taking it and I am already seeing a difference. Only time will tell, though.

Despite the whole hype about fish oils being good for acne, it really does depend on the individual. In the meantime, I'm going to make sure I eat fish that I'm not allergic to (I can eat salmon and tuna), and probably look into an alternative, such as flaxseed oil.

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 06/25/2013 10:18 am

What is the quality of the fish oil you are using? I've broken out before from low quality oil, but higher quality oil is wonderful. You may have to venture to a health food store.