Notifications
Clear all

Fish oil causing acne?

MemberMember
(@idolator)

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:51 pm

Sometime last week I quit taking fish oil, and the first two days after I quit, I didn't get any new acne...

Coincidence?

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:52 pm

I don't feel like dissecting your ramble of a post, because literally every sentence is just whack as hell. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

Then why did YOU bother posting?

To express my opinion that she's wrong, but also to express my feeling that is isn't worth my time to sit there and type out a long-winded response depicting why. Saying that Twinlab is a cheap and non-reputable company and then going on to praise Berkley & Jensen is, well, ironic to say the least. That statement by itself carries enough weight in itself that I don't -need- to explain why she's wrong.

So, why did YOU bother posting? Oh yeah, because you're a troll.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/03/2011 9:53 pm

Sometime last week I quit taking fish oil, and the first two days after I quit, I didn't get any new acne...

Coincidence?

It's going to take you a lot longer than 2 days to make a judgement call. A month is more like it.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 02/13/2011 11:49 am

i too break out from fish/flax and epo..what about taking borage oil?

MemberMember
(@derkchang)

Posted : 02/17/2011 12:50 am

Half a year ago, I bought this orange bottle fish oil that contained both omega 6&9 which broke me out like crazy. Deep cystic acne along my jawline. Than I stumble across acne.org and found out it was fish oil that caused me these type of pimple. I then switch to "natures made" fish oil and kept me clear for a good two three months. Just occasional zits here and there. No biggie. I recently ran out of natures made and bought GNC's fish oil1000 and bam! cysts started to appear once again. I think wut brand of fish oil really matters.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 02/18/2011 10:17 am

wow good to know...so what is the best type out there? I remember hearing something about Nordic?

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 04/05/2011 11:58 am

wow i have been taking fish oil for along time, every single poster pretty much on this thread has said its breaking them out...id like to bump this thread and see if people still have bad reactions to fish oil (iv heard such good things in the past..can it all be a lie lol??)

MemberMember

Posted : 04/05/2011 7:32 pm

BUMP

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 04/05/2011 7:45 pm

It really depends on the brand. I took one brand and it gave me a cyst-like pimple (first one ever), so i stopped using it and started another, and the new one is working very well. It's just trial and error

MemberMember

Posted : 04/05/2011 10:24 pm

It really depends on the brand. I took one brand and it gave me a cyst-like pimple (first one ever), so i stopped using it and started another, and the new one is working very well. It's just trial and error

If i may ask what brand are u using now and wat brand broke u out?

Im using GNC triple strength with krill

MemberMember
(@akl)

Posted : 04/06/2011 9:43 am

If contamination is what worries you, this may be a good starting point: IFOS certified fish oil products (use the drop-down box on the top-right of the page to browse through the different categories).

MemberMember
(@mrbodyacne)

Posted : 04/27/2011 11:54 am

It's possible. But Fish oil is great for your body. It helps maintain healthy heart and liver function. But a guess a small majority of people get negative affects.

MemberMember
(@epicdermis)

Posted : 05/03/2011 9:46 pm

Has anyone else tried the CVS generic brand?

MemberMember
(@derkchang)

Posted : 05/23/2011 12:22 pm

true...trial and error. u must test it out to really know if the fish oil really works for you because one fish might work on one but might be allergic to another. the bottom line is, fish oil should make your face less oily. so if you wake up in the morning and find your face oilier than usual and see cystic acne continue to form. that means you should stop this fish oil completely. but than again, there might be "initial breakout" kinda phenomena. just give yourself two weeks to try one product

MemberMember
(@derkchang)

Posted : 05/23/2011 12:27 pm

top rated fish oil brand that ppl suggest:

nordic, carlsons, market america fish oil (pricey), usana, health from the sun, natures made

MemberMember
(@tiredofacneat25)

Posted : 07/01/2011 10:10 am

Moved from Nutrition and Holistic Health Forum (sorry, didn't realize there was a vitamin forum til after I posted it!)

So I did a little quick reading on peoples reviews about how fish oil may cause acne. I understand it needs to be balanced with omega 6's and 9's (which I am not doing), but that sounds like a difficult thing to figure out in a timely manner.

Anyway, I have been taking 1200mg of fish oil, 50mg zinc, and 500 mg of vitamin C each day for pretty much two months exactly as of today (the same amount of time I have been on the regimen). I actually only added the vitamin C about 3 weeks ago.

I noticed that when I started the regimen, as well as these pills, that I started breaking out on my back...I never did before except for the occassional pimple probably from my bra. Well it got bad! I wasn't even doing the regimen there since I had no acne there, and I was really confused why I was breaking out. My chest has always broken out, got really bad at the start of the regimen, but is pretty clear as of today. My back is still breaking out bad, all on my upper back. But a couple days ago I noticed I am also breaking out on my lower lower back, right below my waist line...this is new to me!! My back just seems to be getting worse even though I continue to use the regimen religiously (as well as with the AHA+) on my back. And this week, my face has broken out really bad and I am not sure why. I haven't changed anything with the regimen or pills, so this is confusing to me. I mean I haven't cleared up yet, no where near it really, but I started getting more and more breakouts just recently.

I haven't taken the fish oil since Monday, so I've gone without it for 3 days as of today. I am going to test not taking it and see how it goes. If I see clearing, and clearing without another random flareup like I seem to be getting every couple weeks since I've started this, then I'll continue to stop taking it and just take the zinc and vitamin C.

Hope my back clears up, as well as some of my face too!! Has anyone had this kind of problem before??

EDIT: ADD: Also, I hardly ever got cysts before the regimen (like once or twice a year, one at a time). Now I get one nearly every two weeks, most on my jaw line and forehead, in the same exact spots each time. Another fish oil issue? I am just not going to take it for two weeks at least and see if it helps...heck...I may not go back to it out of fear!!

I have tried all different kinds of high end fish oil and cod liver oil in various forms, they all made me break out badly with cystic acne along with chin and lower cheeks. I think some people just don't respond positively, though it works magic for others.

I'm considering trying flax seed oil pills or evening primrose oil. Any thoughts out there?

MemberMember
(@gayhenna)

Posted : 07/01/2011 10:25 am

I have been really surprised to realize that it may be fish oil causing me acne!

I don't remember anymore why exactly I stopped eating fishoil just now (a few days ago) - I had started taking fish oil pills again a month or so ago, after a long time of not taking them. Ever since (of starting to consume fish oil pills again) I developed lots of pimples on my cheeks as well as mouth area, but because I started using AHA+ at the same time, I thought it would just be my purging period.

Nevertheless, only a few days after of not taking fishoil pills - yes, my pimples have stopped from emerging!

It's amazing. I never knew that eating fish oil pills would have such an reaction on my skin! I remember I didn't take fish oil pills for a few months earlier this spring (we didn't have any at home and no one would buy more) and I remember that my skin was much better back then! I just didn't know it was because of NOT taking fish oil pills!! I wish I had realized that earlier, I've been taking fish oil pills for so long (a couple years at least). Well, I'm just happy now that my pimples have started to lessen and maybe the scars will eventually fade away, too!

So if you start taking fish oil pills and after that you notice pimples arising every single day ( a pimple / day; also if you seem to get more cysts than you normally do... yeah, happened to me, i have never got cysts before!) you might want to cut down the amount of fish oil you take / stop taking it altogether.

MemberMember
(@gourami)

Posted : 11/02/2011 10:27 am

I started taking CVS brand last week, 3x1000mg/ day and have been getting cystic acne along my jaw. Gonna stop and see if it improves.

MemberMember
(@kraven-moorhead)

Posted : 11/06/2011 8:44 pm

hmm

i was going to start taking these , But with all the reviews on how it causes acne and how sensitive my skin is not sure it's worth the risk

this sucks

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 12/06/2011 11:42 pm

Yup, I hate flaxseed now. If you are young, then just consume salmon once a week, you should be fine. I also took saw palmetto for a few days, broke me out as well.

Lesson is learned. If you don't have obvious hormonal imbalances, dont mess with these herbs. they might cause more problems.

I am deficient in Vitamin D. So currently, I have started taking vitamin D with calcium and magnesium. Also a low dose of zinc, copper, selenium and chromium.

I just hope this damn break out from flaxseed and saw palmetto goes away soon! eusa_doh.gif

Interesting, because I'm the opposite: Fish oil doesn't break me out and Vitamin D does. Saw Palmetto clears me up. I'm thinking they do something to hormones, well, I know SP does, but I think fish oil and D do as well and it's the opposite of what I need. You are the opposite of me, obviously. I'm wondering if they lower estrogens and/or progesterone...

Fish oil makes my skin very dry, though, so I can't take it.

MemberMember
(@jaynect)

Posted : 12/14/2011 1:54 pm

High-quality cod liver oil is probably your best bet. It can get pricey, but the high doses of Vitamins A and D from natural sources should help with acne, rather than harm it. I started out with the minimum dose (one capsule) and I'm going to up it after a month if everything goes well. I've been taking it for a couple of weeks and have only seen improvements in my skin (though, I am also taking AVC and using the regimen topically) as far as not only the amount of and severity of my acne, but my inflammation and dryness have improved drastically. I am also getting fewer migraines (most likely due to the anti-inflammatory properties of the CLO.)

The difference between cod liver oil and fish oil is this: fish oil is derived from the flesh of fish like salmon, tuna, and sometimes even sardines (the inexpensive brands you get at Walmart or other drugstores will use this). There is a risk of ingesting small amounts of mercury with fish oil. Cod liver oil is taken directly from the livers of fish like cod (obviously) and sometimes mackerel. Livers and other organs have always been known to have great nutritional properties.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 01/18/2012 1:10 am

how long do things like fish oil, or vitamin d usually take to cause acne (the supplements)? I am just going to stop all supplements (was taking fish oil for the past week and vitamin d for the past month) and i developed three HUGE pimples on my face (and on my back s well)

MemberMember
(@lily_lilac)

Posted : 01/26/2012 11:17 pm

I think fish oil may have given me cystic acne as well. I've been taking fish oil for a few months and have noticed a lot more cystic pimples during that time. After discovering this post I will stop taking this supplement and see if my skin clears up.

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 02/22/2012 4:08 pm

so ive been taking fish oil for a long time..1gram daily. I got all the benefits they say it provides. Then well shit started happening (specifically after i awe.. did the dirty) anyway i started having what seems to be an allergic reaction to fish oill im breaking out in many bumps. i stopped taking it and such has went away but im still breaking out. I was taking b5 with L-cartinine to facilitate absorption and L-cartinine also helps burn fat. Well, im wondering if the hormonal change lead to it upsetting a balance and a build up of toxins from the fat cells to be released causing breakouts. idk a theory anyway. Either im now allergic to it, or i have a metal toxicity from to much.

Although taking 81mg aspirin helped dramatically reduce the bumps i got. Aspirin is an NSAID and also used to prevent hives in people taking certain medications. So if people are breaking out i would try a vegan source instead of it from fish or borage oil.

MemberMember
(@gingergirl22)

Posted : 02/08/2013 10:43 am

Oh no, after getting pretty clear, I think my son's acne is getting worse since starting fish oil supplements. He has dry eyes and two doctors told him to take fish or flax oil. He started Carlson's Very Finest 2 weeks ago and new pimples are emerging every day. So this is common? Does anyone have any experience with flax ail?