Notifications
Clear all

Drink Recipes

MemberMember
(@dscully)

Posted : 02/27/2014 12:35 pm

My clear skin tonic is in my signature, but consists of juiced carrots, beets, celery, apple, and ginger.

It does technically contain sugars from the fruits and vegetables, but I've found it has the opposite effect of refined sugars: promoting healing, lowering inflammation, and eliminating acne. Among other things, it contains potent amounts of vitamin A, which, when from food sources, is amazing for your skin.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 06/24/2014 11:58 am

Recipe for a bread made with the pulp leftover from making almond milk:

http://naturalvitalityliving.com/almond-pulp-cinnamon-raisin-toast/#.U6mVPrHigcQ

Note the Natural Vitality Plant-Sourced Minerals comes in liquid or powder. They don't say which is used here. So I doubt that amount of liquid or powder is essential to the recipe.

Ingredients
  1. cup pitted Medjool datesapproximately 6 dates
  2. cup Natural Vitality Plant-Sourced Minerals
  3. cup water
  4. cup avocado oil
  5. 2 tablespoons raw organic honey
  6. 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  7. teaspoon sea salt
  8. 2 cups lightly packed almond pulp (see note)
  9. cup roughly ground flaxseeds
  10. cup organic raisins
  11. cup organic walnuts, chopped
Instructions
  1. Add Medjool dates, Plant-Sourced Minerals, water, avocado oil, honey, cinnamon and sea salt to the bowl of your blender or food processor. Process until smooth, then transfer to a clean bowl.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined.
  3. Divide dough into 2 mounds.
  4. If using a food dehydrator, transfer sections to separate ParaFlexx-lined trays. Spread the mixture out onto the tray until its about inch thick. You can do this by patting it with the back of your spatula and bringing in the ends so that it becomes a perfect square. Repeat with remaining dough. Dehydrate at 115F for 12 hours, flipping halfway through.
  5. If using an oven, preheat to 180F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Spread the mixture out onto the tray until its about inch thick. You can do this by patting it with the back of your spatula and bringing in the ends so that it becomes a perfect square. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake in preheated oven for 34 hours, flipping halfway through.
  6. Once complete, remove from your food dehydrator or oven and cut into 9 squares per sheet. Recipe yields 18 squares, 2 squares per serving.
Notes
  1. Almond pulp is created when homemade almond milk is made. If you prepare your own nut or seed milks, hold on to the fiber thats left after you make a batch. You can freeze it until youve built up a stockpile. Learn how to make your own nut and seed milks.
MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/08/2014 11:50 am

'Healthy Coffee' or tea or cocoa

http://wellnessmama.com/5673/healthy-coffee/

Mixing in butter and/or coconut oil in a blender to emulsify the oil and make it seem creamy. This is a good thing for those skipping/delaying breakfast. coconut oil is a good energy source especially for the brain. I'm not going to use a blender, but have one of those aero-latte things. I'll try it with that.

Also, even healthier coffee would involve cold brewing. Make a concentrate that you then dillute how you want it. I add a couple of cinnamon sticks when brewing in my french press. And even better would be to use a paper filter as it removes some of the less desirable substances. I don't recall what they are right now.

Good herbal teas and blends

http://wellnessmama.com/5442/health-boosting-herbal-teas/

Plain ole chamomile, raspberry leaf, mint, plus some beneficial and tasty blends:

Sleep Easy Blend

My go-to tea when I am having trouble sleeping is an equal mixture of Chamomile, Mint, and Catnip herbs. Catnip has natural relaxing and soothing properties. It is one of the ingredients in my Sweet Dreams Sleep Tincture, which is great at helping kids relax and sleep better, especially during illness.

I mix a teaspoon each of Chamomile, Mint, and Catnip herbs in a glass of water for a relaxing nighttime tea that is also great during illness. This same mixture can be used to fill a homemade eye pillow to aid in sleep as well.

Lavender Tea

Lavender is my favorite scent and essential oil but it is too strong to be used alone in a tea. My favorite Lavender Tea recipe is:

Mix all and store in an air-tight container. Use 1-2 tsp per cup of water to make hot or iced tea.

Chai Tea

Chai tea is a favorite around our house and we usually make it with Raspberry Leaf tea instead of black tea and with coconut milk instead of regular milk. There are many variations of chai tea recipes and with a little experimenting, you can find the one that you like best. Here is my basic recipe to give you some ideas.

When I dont feel like making my own, I love this caffeine free Firefly Chai that is slightly sweeter than regular Chai and is great for nighttime. If you add a little chamomile and catnip to it, it is a delicious evening drink for kids.

Herbal Coffee

Have trouble kicking the coffee habit? While I still love coffee once in a while, an herbal coffee is a great alternative without the caffeine. My favorite one packs a powerful nutritional punch too with Maca powder and dandelion root!

Stomach Soother

For stomach aches or for those prone to digestive troubles, this tea is very calming. The recipe is also very easy:

• 2 teaspoons mint leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • Pinch of dried ginger (optional)

Pour 1 cup of boiling water over it, steep, covered for 5 minutes and consume. You can also add some grass-fed gelatin powder (about a tablespoon) for a long-lasting soothing effect.

Pregnan-Tea

During pregnancy I drink a special tea that helps keep nausea and digestive troubles at bay and also helps strengthen the uterus. The nettle also provides Vitamin K, an essential nutrient for pregnancy and birth to help with clotting.

Many women report having easier and faster labors from using this tea, though my labors are typically 24+ hours even though I go natural, so I may not be the best example! This tea is delicious anytime, but especially during pregnancy.

What you need:

Mix and use 1 tablespoon to brew by the glass or 1 cup to brew by the gallon. Add more or less Stevia to taste. Enjoy!